Industrial-Sized Deals BOTMKT15 Shop Women's Fall Denim Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed Storm Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all furious7 furious7 furious7  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage Assassin's Creed Syndicate Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Deal of the Day

71%
29%
More List Your Self: Listmaking as the Way to Personal Discovery
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:$13.46+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 29, 2004
Ok...Listmaking as "the" way to Personal Discovery??? Maybe not "the" way...but definitely a very easy, useful and potentially fun way to explore yourself!! At one point in the short introductory chapter the authors say:
"It gives you the chance to address the breadth and depth of your life experience in a playful and profound act of self-awareness and mastery."
I had never had really thought of listmaking in this way...even though I HAVE read and used the first book in the "set..." I've always thought of list making as a tool...but not as playful or profound...and now that I think about it, I'd have to agree that it IS...so I find that I really am pleased with this volume!! The authors go on to say:
"Why not start listing and give ourselves the opportunity of becoming more aware of what makes us tick, our values, our dreams, what's important and what's not? More List Yourself allows you to do just that. More than 257 list questions invite you to open your eyes, mind, and heart to deeper levels of self-discovery. It gives you the keys to power to break down the barriers that keep you from living the life you want to live."
I think this is true of most journaling practices...what is different in this volume is that you have a definite format and lots of prompts to explore ALL areas of your life...not just the ones that you are comfortable with...if explored and used with the right attitude, List Yourself will provide you with (at the very least) months of fun, thought provoking, explorative opportunities!!
This book, like the one before it, provides us with a LOT of opportunities...there is even a whole section with fun computer/internet related list opportunities (I know I've been enjoying these a great deal...as I've found the internet has become an integral part of my everyday life!!
Listing "focus areas" include:
Day to Day
Your Style
Big Wisdom
Me.Com
Us
Culture Club
Sixth Sense
MMMMoney (no I'm not misspelling this)
Favorite Things
Happy, Healthy, and Wise
Your Nest
Fun, Fantasy, and Adventure
Where the first book (the original List Yourself) had two short introductory chapters...this book has one (and it's even shorter). The "how to" part of this is basically a sub-section of this chapter and is about 1.5 pages in length. AND as with the original...don't let this fool you, there is more than enough info to allow you to comfortably get started with this process...though I must be honest, I had my reservations about this, as I causally flipped through it after reading over the info in the original, including each of the list topics and trying out a few of the lists...but afterward, when actually read the info provided, I came up with the conclusion above...your not going to come away from this chapter with any profound information...but it's good for what it is...a brief introduction to get you going right away!!
I have to say that I agree with the authors...this books does "...dish up list challenges that encourage you to reconnect with your intuition" -- if you allow it to, this volume could have a very powerful and profound effect on how you look at yourself all the while having FUN doing it!!
I highly recommend List Yourself AND More List Yourself -- both complement each other and there are relatively few duplications in list topics (I was surprised too)! I have the same reservations and dislikes about More List yourself as I did with the original...the hard bound format is annoying at best (my comments were less than "G" rated in this area...lol)...and size makes this book hard to handle. Personally...for books I have to write in, I like a slightly larger size and this book would be MUCH better served with a spiral or library binding...the combination of size and binding choice are (to me at any rate) extremely annoying. I would also absolutely LOVE it if a date line had been included...it's certainly not difficult to simply add the date in at the top...but for neatness and uniformity -- a printed date line would be a nice addition!!
For myself (because of the format the book is in), I'm going to incorporate the lists into my regular journal -- recording only the date(s) that I make the list in the hardbound book...so that I can easily find a particular list later on...and if I do a list several times over the years...I'll know where to find each to compare and contrast them!!
And yes...that is the very same info from my review of List Yourself...but it applies equally to this volume...they have exactly the same binding and are exactly the same size...I can only hope that if these are reprinted in the future, these two features will be changed to make it even more appealing!!
I give More List Yourself an A for content and a B- for usability (hardcover and size are still an issue in my opinion).
I give it the very same A- for price...it's exactly the same as List Yourself ($14.95 list price) with a current list price of $10.47 on Amazon -- coming in at 289 pages...this is well worth the money for the amount of usability and the fun factor involved!!
I belive that this best use of this book is for the "time challenged" journaler...but I DO strongly feel that it is a fun and exciting resource for even the most experienced journaler!! I'd even go so far as to recommend getting all three in this series: List Yourself; More List Yourself, and List Your Creative Self...and use them together...keep them by your bed (for restless nights) or near your favorite spot on the couch (for when there's nothing "good" to watch)...and I can almost guarantee that you'll pick one of them up and find a list that fills a need in your life right now!!
on May 11, 2004
First, I have to confess. I am addicted to fill in the blank, get to know yourself, your spouse, your child, your dog...your whatever... books. But the List Yourself series is just the best. It's not too "heavy" so it stays fun, but it asks you sooo many questions from the serious to the silly, from your greatest fantasies to your greatest fears. I find it fun to do the book, put it away and then read your answers years later. Then I will answer again, in different colored ink, to see how I've changed. I just pulled out my first List Myself, done in 1999. I realized three things have changed me forever, 1) the birth of my daughter, 2) 9-11-01, and 3) the death of my niece. It was amazing for me to realize the impact they had on me. I think this book can be both fun and insightful.
VINE VOICEon June 23, 2004
Segaove and Velick have done it again....a new "list" book to record your dreams, desires, hopes, wishes and fears into.
This is the second book in the "List Your Self" series. The prompts in this book are a bit deeper than the first book. This book probes into your sixth sense, hunches, prejudices, pet-peeves, financial issues, relationship quirks and many other often hidden away thoughts. Expect to delve deeper into your psyche with this one. I wouldn't leave this one sitting out on a bookshelf for just anyone to pick up and read!
on July 22, 2003
This is an excellent book of writing prompts that only requires the writer to make lists. Then it's up to you to decide if you want to expand upon an item on your list and develop it into a journal entry or perhaps a poem, short story, reflective piece, etc. Buy two: one for yourself and one for a friend. Then you'll have someone that you can compare lists with.
on September 5, 2007
I am a scrapbooker, so this book has helped me focus on what questions are important to record. Recommend this journal
on September 24, 2013
I love lists and list-making. Its like the lazy-person's way to journal, or journaling for those who dont like journaling. Or something like that. You het the benefits of journaling without the agony of wracking your brains looking for what to write down on a black page. Look, someone has done your thinking for you! If you cant figure out what to put on the lists under the prompts, well then you're on your own, the book tried, har har. Seriously, tho, the listing prompts are even cooler than the first book and I had a lot fo fun filling these out!
on August 18, 2011
I loved the first addition. I have used it in many situations as conversation starters. This is equally as quality and thought provoking questions. Makes one think! Thats never a bad thing.