Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on August 27, 2009
What would you do if you found a little lost monster? What is it was crying? What if it started to rain? Minneapolis Simpkin knew she had to take the monster home. She had been desperate for a pet anyway. She was also pretty sure her mother wouldn't like it one bit...

I have mixed feelings about this book. Judge for yourself:

The positives: This is a very funny book (with just a touch of spookiness). Expect nothing less from author Peggy Parish (of "Amelia Bedelia" fame). It turns some conventions upside down: Instead of being afraid of monsters lurking in the the closet or basement, our heroine PUT her monster in those places, and has a hard time of keeping it there. Also, did you know that monsters apparently love pickles?

The negatives: Minneapolis and her mother yell at each other. After a fight, Minn runs out of the house. At a later point, she wanders alone in the dark. And worst of all, she keeps a very big secret from her mother (after all, wouldn't you want to know if your kid brought a monster home?!?) These are not the lessons I want my child to learn.

Nota bene: All "Level 1" books are not created equal. Most of the words in this one are straight forward enough ("Minneapolis Simpkin," however, is quite the mouthful.) But the book is 64-pages long, with lots of fast-paced dialogue and other relatively advanced literary conventions. If your child is not able to read it independently, however, this is a fine book to read out loud.
on April 27, 2000
I cannot tell you how much my sons love this book! They love this green monster and all the silly things that he has done with Minn. My sons will ask me to read this story in the morning, in the afternoon, in the evening and for their bed-time story for a month and not feel tired of it!
on February 12, 2013
I bought this for my son. He is dyslexic and has trouble reading, so therefore he doesn't want to read at all. We started reading this and he loved the story. He laughed and was excited to read ahead to see what was going to happen. After we read it I had to order him two more books he picked out. This is fantastic. Anything to get him to sit down to read and practice so he can get better.
on May 23, 2000
My daughter has a fascination for monsters, so I knew that she would adore this book. Now she has a book about a monster that I can read to her at bedtime without worry of bad dreams. It's a very cute story.
on March 31, 2015
This is not one of my favorite books ive ordered for my daughter.Its not bad , it just didnt thrill or excite me.I thought the book had a good point, but could of been made more fun.It just didnt charm me the way certain books do.
on February 16, 2013
My 5 and 8 year olds listened with rapt attention while my 5 yo followed along in the book. My 11 yo was nearby and thought it was cute. They have not listened to it again though but I won't deduct any stars for that since I think they just have a lot of activities and books to choose from. Would have preferred if they wanted to listen and read it again though. I'll probably have to suggest it for that to happen though.
on December 29, 2012
Our daughter asked for this book for her son because she loved this book as a child. This book is old-fashioned by today's standards, but it's a great book for dealing with bedtime fears, scared-of-the-dark issues, etc., in a gentle, humorous way. Also, after many rereadings (I remember THAT vividly) a child begins to pick out individual words that can be the start of real reading. Fun book that children like and parents don't mind (too much) rereading!
on January 16, 2007
My older son LOVED this book when he was learning to read. Now, my youngest, 5, is reading it. It is a wonderful story that captures children's imaginations about monsters. It also depicts a good and realistic relationship between a mother and child. Although this book is a Level 1 reader, it is much more advanced than most level 1 readers, which contain rhyming words, words from the same word families, and/or repetition. Certain more difficult words (ie, hiccups, basement, bawling, monster, etc.) are repeated often on different pages throughout the book, though, so early readers learn to recognize these words. I would say that this is an advanced level 1 reader. It is a good book to read when your child is beyond the basic "formula" readers, but not quite at level 2.
on January 19, 2014
I cannot understand why a children's book should start on the first page with a narrative of a kid habitually screaming with her parent, and hiding things from her. not a book I relished reading to my kids, and it landed in the waste basket.
on January 12, 2011
I bought this book for my children for Christmas in 1981 or 1982. Now they are all wanting this book for their children. It was as much fun for the boys in the family as it was for the girls though the book is actually about a girl--Minneapolis Simpkin. It opens with a discussion, which we interrupt, between mom and Minneapolis. Obviously, Minn wants a pet and mother does not. Then Minn finds a baby monster and takes it home. Things do not go well. My children, when they were small, had a hate-love relationship with monsters. This book filled the gap so that the monster could be enjoyed and the child could be the winner. What fun it was, and is. I highly recommend it to all.