5.0 out of 5 stars Howard Lederer is awesome...
Published on November 2, 2004 by SweetFreeRolls.com

3.0 out of 5 stars Not complete (...)
First of all, in reference to the first DVD, Secrets of No Limit Hold Em (Before the "More"), if you follow Howard Lederer's pre flop strategy you will never play a hand of poker again in your life. His strategy is way too tight. You will lose much more money than what you payed for this overpriced DVD. Nonetheless, it is a useful resource for a beginner. As for the...
Published on October 14, 2004 by Matt

5.0 out of 5 stars Howard Lederer is awesome..., November 2, 2004
This review is from: More Secrets of No Limit Hold 'Em (DVD)
As Howard Lederer emphasizes very seriously at the beginning of the DVD, if you have not watched the first volume in this series, titled simply Howard Lederer's Secrets of Texas Hold `Em (sans More), you should watch that video and be familiar and experienced with those concepts before watching this one. The purpose of this video is basically to teach you ways to deviate from the basic plan he taught you on the first disc. If you haven't watched the first video, this one will either be no help or could even hurt your game.

Where the first Howard Lederer DVD focused on the fundamentals, the second in the series begins to get into some of the more sophisticated aspects of the game. If, to make a football analogy, the first one taught us merely to block and tackle, this one teaches us how to strip the ball and mix up the play calls enough to keep our opponents off guard.

The first section of the video deals with straying from the rigidity of the ultra-tight pre-flop strategy Lederer taught on the first disc, and for the most part expands on what hands you should open a pot with depending on the situation. In this section Lederer touches on suited connectors, avoiding traps and limping in. Not necessarily the most complicated stuff, but there are some good ideas here in regards to making yourself less predictable.

Most of the rest of the video is a bit more sophisticated in talking about strategies for playing the flop, turn and river each respectively. Some of the topics in this section of the video include: when to slow play, flop textures, learning to check, bluffing into scare cards, value betting and staying with your read. Now, some of these strategies end up being more specific and intricate than others, but I felt like Lederer did a good job of engaging the audience and giving us things to think about through out. It's fairly obvious the man is genuinely fascinated with all aspects of poker strategy.

At the end there is a shorter section about tournament strategy which has some good ideas, and sprinkled throughout the DVD there are short segments portraying different tells. One of the more entertaining methods the video uses to teach various concepts along the way is having Lederer set up and explain real hands from various points in his career as a pro.

Like the first DVD, the presentation aspect of the video primarily features Lederer sitting at a poker table talking to the camera. It's not of excellent quality, to be sure, but again, while that may bother some, it didn't matter to me. In fact, the music in this video (a kind of generic, reverby rock riff) is a huge improvement over the `80's drum oriented stuff in the first one.

Lederer seems even more comfortable in front of the camera on this one. Like the first, he is not reading cue cards or working off of a script. It's just Howard Lederer talking poker. He definitely knows his stuff.

Ultimately, the name of the game this time around is becoming unpredictable. This one expands greatly on the info provided in the first volume. Combined the two DVDs give you all the ideas and concepts you need to develop a dangerous poker style and continue to develop your game.

Conclusion: I highly recommend this series. This one is superior to the first DVD, but I can't stress enough that they really do go together. Lederer just seems like one of the most respectable and realistic guys out there. At the end of the video, like any good football coach (come on, you knew I'd come back to the football analogy), he stresses practice, focus and sound fundamentals as the keys to victory.

5.0 out of 5 stars Secrets and More Secrets Revealed, March 19, 2005
This review is from: More Secrets of No Limit Hold 'Em (DVD)
I personally have benefited from this tremendously. I have only been playing since January 2004 and when Secrets of Holdem came out I thought ok this is for the beginner and was a little slow for me. Then when More Secrets of Holdem came out I picked up a few more things to help improve my game.

I see alot of negative posts about these DVD's and find it hard to believe. Maybe if you have been playing for years it is basic to you and I can understand that.

I look at things as if I can get one thing out of it that helps me improve it is worth it.

Aside from Howard's DVD's I attended his first Poker Camp in September 04 and learned alot from Phil Gordon, Ferguson, Annie Duke, Gus Hansen, and of course Howard. I entered a tourney in AC 3 days later and placed 7th out of 287. So I can say if you are willing to learn and apply what you learn there will be consistent improvement.

Also I pretty much place in the money most of the time , not all the time but more than most people because of what I learned.

4.0 out of 5 stars solid and helpful..., December 17, 2005
J. Rubino (Simi Valley,Ca USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: More Secrets of No Limit Hold 'Em (DVD)
Much better than the first one probably because the first one was too basic for me. I liked this one where I didn't care much for the first one. I realize he was trying to build a foundation in the first one but it did say it was "The Ultimate Guide to No-Limit Holdem" which it was not. Just tell it like it is and don't oversell and I won't be disappointed and give poor reviews. Back to the point- there is some useful information and some valuable tips and tells here so if you don't yet have this one it is worth getting.

He does a nice job of telling you how much to bet pre flop to get certain results ( three times the blind as average, more to shut opponents out, a little less as you gain more experience and can extract extra profit by outplaying your opponents after the flop). It provides a good baseline to build a winning no limit game and worth repeated viewing to strengthen your game. He has an appealing teaching style and seems sincere in talking about poker. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, I'm starting to win, December 9, 2005
Todd R. Solomon (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: More Secrets of No Limit Hold 'Em (DVD)
This DVD is terrific. Rather than describe the content, as most have, I'll discuss the results.

I'm a rookie that plays with friends every couple of weeks. I've been playing for less than a year. I hadn't been a very winning player for a while, but went to Vegas recently. I watched this DVD and studied the Pre-Flop Strategy, Odds Chart and Hold'em Race Odds charts, and decided to take a chance and enter a low-dollar tournament. What a blast- I finished 11th out of 51 players. The next night, I entered another tournament. I made it to the final table and placed in the money- 7th. Wow, I thought I was going to be taken to the cleaners, but did pretty well against some clearly more experienced veterans. After returning from the trip, I immediately beat my friends, two games in a row. I had been getting my butt kicked by them for a couple of months now, so needless to say, this video has really turned my game around.

I didn't realize how much I misunderstood about the game until I watched this video. I'm doing things in reverse order- now I'm going to purchase the first DVD to make sure I get the basics down, to add to these advanced techniques.

5.0 out of 5 stars Howard Lederer is a Great Teacher, October 25, 2005
This review is from: More Secrets of No Limit Hold 'Em (DVD)
After viewing the first dvd, I realized this poker pro knew how to get complex ideas across to the viewer very clearly. I thoroughly enjoyed the first dvd. I highly recommend getting it prior to this one for the complete package. If you think it is too basic for you, I would still invite you to give it a try. I thought it was going to be stuff I already knew until I saw how much I didn't know.

This dvd goes even further than the other dvd with poker concepts. I can't even begin to recommend it highly enough. The fine reviews here say it well. I have never been complimented on my game or asked where I learned to play before I viewed these dvds. Howard's concepts give you the confidence you need to feel relaxed at a table and make the best decisions you can make. Howard doesn't go through scenarios so much as provides you with the concepts of what you are trying to accomplish. He tries to get the viewer to realize no one decision is correct or incorrect ALL the time. These advanced concepts he does explain can be applied to numerous situations you will encounter at the poker table.

These dvds allow you to develop you're own poker style based on the foundation of Howard's teachings. I have never had this much FUN playing hold'em. Whatever I was doing before, it was all wrong. I have made more final tables in tournaments than my entire six months of playing. You can't go wrong with this one, it is a gem. Even my poker books make more sense after viewing these dvds. It has really provided me with the "secrets" I needed to go to the next level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding tutorial!, July 28, 2005
K. Lansford (Littleton, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: More Secrets of No Limit Hold 'Em (DVD)
This DVD is very well done. Unlike Phil Hellmuth's DVDs (which were suprisingly inadequate), Lederer truly takes the viewer through a number of sound, substantive advice and strategy that acheives its goal -- to provoke thought and to tighten your play. This very much added to my game and gave more, and different perspective(s) to this wonderful game. An earlier review claimed that it is "not complete"...to which I would agree, with one caveat -- can any DVD/book/article truly "completely" cover such an intricate game? Maybe, if it were a collection of 10-12 disks or more...but, even then, there are different perspectives and strategies -- some you may subscribe to , others you may not. I only wish this DVD had more to it because of the fact that it was very insightful, helpful and instructive...I could have watched another 2 hours of Lederer's teaching. If you are looking for an instructional course that bucks the trend of those that claim so-called "million-dollar strategies" and fall short, and you want to improve your game -- this DVD pays for itself. Lederer doesn't hold back, afraid of revealing his secrets that may provide for others to beat him at the table. He lays it out in a great framework, delivering it in a way that of him really wanting to help you in your game. Another great attribute -- he doesn't drone on and on about his tourney conquests with an air of how great he is (unlike some other DVDs - no names mentioned Phil). In fact, I don't recall him talking about any of his "great moves", except for situations that he has encountered and the results -- good or bad. Lederer is a confident player, and it shows in his teaching of the game. Highly recommended!!

5.0 out of 5 stars For Advanced Players, May 6, 2007
This review is from: More Secrets of No Limit Hold 'Em (DVD)
I definately enjoyed this DVD. I felt it added to my game as an advanced player. Howard Lederer as the speaker was very good and did not bore the heck out of me. I would like to see a new DVD by him come out with even more advanced plays.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for new tournament players, November 28, 2005
This review is from: More Secrets of No Limit Hold 'Em (DVD)
Lederer's DVD and starting hand guide are excellent resources for new NLHE tourney players. "More Secrets" is much better than "Secrets". The reason the DVD is 4* and not 5* is that late stage tournament strategy is not adequately discussed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good information for relatively new players, April 28, 2008
This review is from: More Secrets of No Limit Hold 'Em (DVD)
This is a follow up to his first video(secrets of no limit holdem). Everyone knows how to play good cards, which is what the first video was about, so it was nice to see some info on how to expand the range of cards he reccomends to play, and also shows examples of cards you could expect to be up against in a couple different board textures.

I am still looking for more info on playing outside the top hands, but this was a good place to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice review for the intermediate player, November 1, 2011
This review is from: More Secrets of No Limit Hold 'Em (DVD)
This is a solid video for the intermediate player. Covers concepts that will help you at the 1-2 to 2-5 NL games and above. Good luck!

More Secrets of No Limit Hold 'Em
More Secrets of No Limit Hold 'Em by Artist Not Provided (DVD - 2004)
$19.95 $14.88