Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: More Stories About Spaceships and Cancer
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 19, 2013
Join Professor Badbones and his sidekick/nemesis, Stiffany, as they spin some weird ungodly tales of friendly neighborhood banks, large-breasted ninjas, hopeless haberdashers and sex fantasies at work.

Prepare to enter a strange Mixtopia - "A mix between a utopia and a dystopia where some things are unbelievably better while simultaneously other things are hellishly worse, e.g. “The warm slappable realness of this sexbot’s thighs almost distracts me from the painful sickness I have from this radioactive corn."

Yeah. It's like that.

Though these stories plop down comfortably into the bizarro/absurdist category - whacked out, disgusting and of course, funny as hell, two of them managed to break my rock-hard heart. In one, an extremely old fart is urged to give up life as he knows it and have his brain placed in permanent virtual reality. Then we have Sneezy, an unfairly underrated dwarf, confessing to a mad love/lust for Snow White. After she is placed in a glass casket suffering from a witch-induced coma, he tries desperately to rouse her before that pesky prince shows up. I was practically in tears as he kissed her again and again to no avail. Sob!

In the not heart breaking but thoroughly entertaining category, we have a man who can't get laid...even though he's the last man on earth. Then there's the guy who finds that being marooned on an island with 37 cheerleaders - "Their clothes are ripped in sort of a sexy post-apocalyptic way." - is not all it's cracked up to be. And let's not forget what happened to the poor gentleman who didn't follow directions and drank the WHOLE BOTTLE of love potion, not the recommended amount of one capful.

These twisted tales are not for everyone. The author is fairly obsessed with bodily functions. Almost no one is presented with flowers and chocolates. Gross stuff happens.

But if you're looking for cheap thrills and have always wondered what would happen if you didn't have to poop anymore, baby, this is the book for you!
on March 6, 2013
You have to come into this book realizing it is going to be off the wall and strange at times. But if you like that this book is perfect and is going to make you laugh. I solidly recommend giving it a try.
on January 13, 2015
This book looked intriguing as I searched for new things to read, but when I learned it was by the guy who did TOO MANY COOKS, I had to own it. This book shows that that piece of televised genius was not just a fluke. This book is easily one of my favorites now. It's also not really a collection of short stories, it's a whole piece that should be read as such. If William S. Burroughs and Mark Amerika get to have their collections of unrelated short stories billed as novels, Casper Kelly needs to have his unified work of art billed as such, too. Not entirely tangentially, I've seen mention of the Bizarro genre, but MORE STORIES ABOUT SPACESHIPS AND CANCER is miles above any of the juvenile outpourings of anyone in that field. This book firmly puts Casper Kelly in that group of playful postmodern masters, the likes of Barthelme (as mentioned on the back cover), Barth, Pynchon, Nabokov, Vonnegut, et al. High praise, sure, and maybe he won't ultimately live up to it, but I'd be surprised if that were the case.

Of the contents, I only felt one piece was lesser, and not because it's not good, but because its themes were more successfully explored by two other pieces. Try to avoid finding out anything more than the basics, though, not for plot spoiler reasons so much as to be able to enjoy the playful surprises as they come. It's not a groundbreaking, earth shattering explosion - so few things are. But it does herald the arrival of a major creator, and I'm eager for more of his output. His work with others, like most of his work with [adult swim], is good, but not as strong as his solo efforts to date. I'm hoping MORE STORIES ABOUT SPACESHIPS AND CANCER achieves its writer the success he deserves and the ability to create more.
on May 25, 2012
More Stories About Spaceships and Cancer is a collection of short stories written by Casper Kelly. Kelly writes for Adult Swim shows on Cartoon Network. He has written for Squidbillies and Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law, as well as others. I tell you this because that is very much what you get in this collection. It's not often I laugh out loud while reading, but I found myself doing just that many times. Just like Adult Swim, this book is sometimes crude, rude and a bit raunchy but more often than not, very funny. I'm not sure if Kelly is a fan of Douglas Adams but I see many similarities in their humor. It is not all about the humor though. There is some really good story telling here also. Some of my favorite stories are "Frequently Asked Questions" and "An Aspiring Haberdasher."
So, overall I thought this was a fantastic collection and will bring back the lost art of the short story, when they were "vital and talked about and studied and a part of culture and could be said to be important, and cool."(quote from the book) This book was great and I cannot wait to read more from Kelly.

Originally posted on To Read Or Not To Read, May 24, 2012
on June 26, 2012
More Stories about Spaceships and Cancer is one of the funniest books I've read in a long time. I was laughing from the table of contents to the acknowledgements and epilogue, without much of a break in between.

This collection reads at times like a hilarious, more lowbrow Philip K. Dick (and I mean that in the best, most complimentary way possible), and at others like episodes of the Twilight Zone if they had been given the Adult Swim treatment. "Taking a Shit in the Future" and "Large Breasted Ninjas of Altair Seven" were a couple of my favorites, and they're as funny, vulgar, and clever as you might anticipate from the titles. But these stories are also surprisingly poignant and profound, which, since you're sort of blindsided, generates an even bigger impact.

More Stories about Spaceships and Cancer is one of those books that's bound to find a cult following. With all its raunchy humor, sci-fi conceits, campy horror, and postmodern tics, it's the type of book that you can't wait to recommend to certain friends because you know that they'll "get it."
on May 28, 2012
With More Stories, Mr. Kelly intertwines the mundane everyday thoughts many of us have with his own odd, and sometimes outlandish, brainstorms to deliver some hilarious stories. You will laugh alound while also recognizing some of that awkwardness you perhaps feel about your own life. The humor appeals on multiple levels from crudeness to scat to intellectual. You can read this in about the same amount of time it takes to watch a movie, and you'll enjoy it more-- unless you're just one of those people who does not like to read, in which case you should not even be reading this.
on April 19, 2012
This is one of those rare LOL-worthy collections that leaves the reader with a number of (possibly impure) thoughts to turn around over and over in his/her brain long after the book has been closed. Fans of Vonnegut, George Saunders, Donald Barthelme and fourth-wall destruction will find a lot to love here. Standouts include "The Sensitive Person's Joke Book", "Sneezy" and the extended closer entitled "Sex Fantasies at Work" (yes, the tale delivers on its title although not in the way you might imagine). I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Kelly's stories, and if you somehow got far enough to read this review, I imagine you will, too.
on April 19, 2012
This book was clearly written about me, the just entering mid-life, video game era schlubb. It's a self discovery of my own awkwardness disguised as dirty jokes, funhouse-mirror television and naughty Penthouse forum letters. I haven't related this closely to a book since I was introduced to Vonnegut, Woody Allen and, hell, let's throw in Ernie Kovacs to make my point more sloppy. These stories are the types of thoughts that float amorphously around in my head and are certainly the things I would have written down if I were clever and talented and a lot less lazy. But Mr. Kelly has done all the hard work for me, letting me sit back, chuckle and nod in agreement at every page.
on April 10, 2012
This book is flat out fun - there are, of course, laugh out loud moments and passages that will make you have that rare, extended, satisfied grin. Mr. Kelly has seemed to combine my love of strangeness, comedy and novelty. These storied vary in many aspects, but the common reliance on ideas, and naturally the characters within these worlds and conceits, is just the kind of book I need but seldom find. I think Casper Kelly is right on the cutting edge of what seems to be a new "cerebral" type of comedy getting more popular every day. You will have a wonderful and funny read, but, unlike so many short stories and comedy available, bring you brain along too.
on April 24, 2012
Casper Kelly expertly delivers his unique sense of humor in a world of depravity, selfishness and loneliness. His stories were a refreshing break from the pile of books I had been reading. I have never been so infinitely sad and wonderfully amused at the same time. Can't wait for more of the same.