Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing Learn more

on November 25, 2008
I'd seen tubs of rendered duck fat on "Iron Chef America" for recipes where they sauteed or poached something in duck fat, and my wife always slobbered when it came out on the cooking stage.

So, recently, I saw a recipe (either on or linked to from Leite's Culinaria) for a sort of Potatoes O'Brien that used duck fat, thought it would provide a comforting counterpoint in my wife's last month of pregnancy.

I actually searched Google, not even contemplating that Amazon would carry this item. But Amazon was in the first results and I'd just received an Amazon gift certificate. It was fate. I ordered this.

Amazingly, it didn't need to be shipped overnight or refrigerated. It's prepared in sanitary conditions, packed well, and it keeps. I got it a few days after ordering, it was in good condition, and when I used it for the potatoes the following Sunday, it was delicious. My wife and our three-year-old dug into those potatoes like there was no tomorrow.

My only caveat is that if you plan to order this, plan a few recipes that will use it. You get a lot and it's more than you expect from the description if you've never used it.
on June 19, 2008
This product was by far the best price per ounce (I got the "pack of 2"). I used it to make duck confit and it turned out rich and delicious. I would definitely buy this again!
on October 23, 2012
After refrigeration the Duck Fat solidifies into a soft cream which is easily scooped up. It is very great roasting potatoes or baking vegetables and lends a wonderful taste and aroma to anything. It also is effective when used in conjunction with oils, used to stretch the Duck Fat. Closest thing to Goose Fat (Gaenseschmalz), just not quite there.
on March 16, 2016
Having never cooked with duck fat before, I thought I would give it a try. After having cooked several dishes with this product, I will say that it definitely imparts a delicate poultry taste into dishes. I've tried eggs, potatoes, various veggies cooked in duck fat. Potatoes sautéed in duck fat are by far the best. I was little surprised to find the duck fat is liquid at room temperature, and it first it looked/smelled/tasted like chicken broth. However, in the fridge it solidified into the consistency that I was expecting.
on March 15, 2016
Pretty good value for duck fat. It's a good product for a reasonable price. I bought it mainly for making sous vide duck confit but it is great to fry potatoes in as well as spread on toast with some salt or to add a background flavor to emulsified sauces like hollandaise. A good option for people like me who don't live near any butchers who will give out trimmings to render yourself.
on February 9, 2016
I know... "Duck Fat" sounds like a villain on Hawaii 5-O but I needed it to make duck confit (which in turn went into cassoulet). It worked great and I am keeping the fat in the freezer for next time. BTW- Was amused to find this hard-to-locate gourmet item was made in Akron Ohio.
on December 7, 2013
My favorite Duck Fat is Rougie, however, that is very expensive, especially for someone like me that is retired, and living on very little social security.
So what I do, is use both this brand of Duck Fat, and the Rougie, sometimes mixed, sometimes separate for different foods being cooked as there is a difference in flavor. (I prefer the Rougie flavor).

I very often will mix either/or of the Duck Fat(s) with half the volume of Lard...(Lard is not the enemy you have been told it is).
I do that to not only stretch out the Duck Fat, but oftentimes I like the flavor of the Duck Fat mixed with Lard.

However, I'm on the auto-ship program for this brand Duck Fat being reviewed, so it's not that bad, at least not to me.
It does contain other ingredients other than Duck Fat, but it's also much cheaper then other brands of Duck Fat.
What does one expect.....the best Duck Fat at the cheapest price?
on September 27, 2015
From Ned's wife: This stuff is so good for roasting potatoes...I put it on subscription so I won't run out...I wonder what it would be like if you substituted half of this for the butter in escargots w/ garlic butter?
on February 19, 2014
The ingredients list more than just duck fat, unfortunately, which annoyed me since there was no indication in the listing that this was the case. OTOH, roast potatoes cooked with this duck fat came out wonderful, as I would expect. Overall a good product, but the description should be clearer. (Lecithin? Why in the world does it need Lecithin?) IAC, I will likely look to find an unadulterated product for my next purchase, but if I can't find a better solution, I would buy this again.
on February 11, 2014
I started with the single-serving version of this and liked it so much that I am going with the larger size in the future. This has mild but unmistakable roasted duck flavor, unlike some of the competitors that are almost tasteless. It fills the kitchen with a nice aroma and adds a very nice flavor depending on how you are using it. Even mixed in long-cooked stews I sometimes still get a POP from an onion or something sautéed in it. It is great for omelets or just a lightly fried egg.