Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: Audio CD|Change

on March 14, 2001
Maynard and the band recorded this when he was 68 I think and he still plays spectacular. His effortless highnotes seemed like they needed a little effort in this session, and he was a little sloppy here and there but still one of the best screamers ever. He will go down in history as one of the top few in the highnote department.-He may be passing the torch onto someone else a little bit. Scott Englebright, MF's lead trpt on this cd plays the highest note of the session a double high d. Still for all MF fans it's another winner. Keep it up MF!
on July 12, 1999
You Got It, The Vibe, She Was Too Good To Me, and Birdland are AWESOME! He has a in your face opener and a wonderful ballade. If you are new to jazz/bebop and you like the sounds of the brass this is the cd to get.
on January 8, 2015
MAYNARD FERGUSON SUPREME !!!!! Every song is upbeat and fast paced. You would play this cd at a party filled with jazz mongers from start to finish. All of the music is excellent. My favorite piece is #3 The Vibe, because of the excellent horn mixing and solo work. Enjoy over and over again.......
on February 1, 2000
"Manteca" is probably the most exciting single big-band cut I've ever heard, and I've been listening since 1947. My twelve-year-old twin daughters watch me listen to this music and at the end say: 'He's young again!' Unreserved recommendation if you like big, hot, blasting big band sound. I give it four stars because I hope Maynard--whom I saw in Birdland in 1960--will come along and do something better, which I'm sure he has the capacity to do! Buy it!
on April 4, 1999
Maynard is now sixty-nine years old and still sounds as good as any twenty or thirty year old trumpeter. His new arrangement of "Birdland," called,"One More Trip To Birdland" is every bit as good as the original. "Cajun Cookin'" by Dennis DiBlasio is also another great reason to put this one in the CD player and sit back and relax!
on March 3, 2005
This has become one of the most prized CD's in my collection. One quick correction of a previous reviewer : Larry Foyen does not play lead on this CD, Scott Englebright does. And man, does he have the chops! This whole album is nicely woven and tightly played, with plenty of stratospheric trumpet for the true Maynard enthusiast. Scotty is one of the very best lead players MF has ever had, even going back to the Stan Mark days. Sorry Matt Wallace, but I could do without "She was too good to me" and the bad vocals, but the rest of this compilation is A ++. And at 70 + years old, all I can say is.. You GO, Maynard!
on July 12, 1998
One More Trip to Birdland is a return to great energitic big band style music. This is by far one of the strongest big bands I have heard from Ferguson. Tight rythmic playing to challenging music, this band rocks. The solos are great some are even awesome. Maynard sounds on top of his game after the disappointing release of These Cats can Swing, his high notes are clean and crisp. The lead trumpet playing is simply put, amazing! A nice tribute to Miles Davis with an arrangement of Milestones. I love this album and I think everyone should check it out. I'm looking forward to next album release of Maynard Ferguson.
on September 27, 2003
*Special Note: I'm reposting this under my own name since the original was mistakenly posted under a different one, I did in fact write this review myself. My mistake for putting in the wrong name.*
Maynard has to be the coolest Canadian ever. Such an enthusiastic player, even at age sixty-eight, when this performance was done. "You Got It" is a pretty nice opener, it's energetic to say the least. However, the best performance on the album is easily the following track (in my opinion) Dizzy Gillespie's "Manteca". What a great rendition, Maynard goes absolutely nuts! There is also great trombone and alto saxophone soloing. "The Vibe" is a hint at laid-back Maynard, he plays with a flugelhorn here and sounds nice, using his upper register effectively in the places it's best suited to be. "Cajun Cookin'" is a cool Denis DeBlasio arragement but honestly I'm not really wild about it. It's nice but not my favorite. The chart of "Milestones" was the huge disappointment, however. I had played through this chart and loved it, but this recording was sub-par. The saxophone solo is too long and Maynard should've done a lot more with this tune than the short harmon mute solo and screaming at the end. I expected a lot more. However, the lacking of the "do" at the end is great, look at the liner notes for reference on that. Matt Wallace also comes up with a nice vocal on "She Was Too Good To Me", and the trumpet section comes with some nice screaming headed by Larry Foyen. The new "Birdland" is decent, although not on the level of the original, but you have to love the ESPN Sportscenter ending. "Blues From Around Here" is a classic. The whole band swings like crazy on this tune, which sounds like it's based on the changes to "Watermelon Man". Maynard goes crazy on here, and Don Zank swings on piano. The performance ends with a fast remake of "It Don't Mean A Thing", the famous Duke Ellington classic. This was a good way to end the album.
Overall, if you're a Maynard fan, this is one that is worth picking up. Maynard is playing amazingly well, especially for someone of his age. Whoever said he sounded terrible is totally wrong! I'll admit Maynard had some tone trouble on Live In London but none here. However, as an overall product, this album is not as good as Live In London, in my opinion. However, these are both worthy buys. If you're new to Maynard, get acquainted with some of his work with the Kenton band, and then some of his 60's and 70's bands.
on September 24, 2003
on April 30, 2003
This is a spectacular album and to think that it is live is that much more impressive. The man is now 75 and still tours and does "alright" with his band Big Bop Nouveau. I saw him at a show where all the trumpet players came out into the audience and Maynard followed suit only to blow them all away with his fat, screaming tone. Maynard always was, still is, and always will be the man. By the way that show was last year. So if you like a really good band with a really good leader this is a must have.