5.0 out of 5 stars When you're stuck for words...
Published on November 4, 2004 by Bookworm

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected
This book is more of a thesaurus of sorts, not what i was expecting. I had no trouble returning this
Published 22 months ago by Leah Delagarza

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars When you're stuck for words..., November 4, 2004
This review is from: More Words That Sell (Paperback)
I bought this book when I was working as a copywriter. I often had 10 different topics to write about in a day, and so, needless to say, I would often get writer's block. This book was a godsend for those situations. It is divided into various categories of words like "Financial Advertising" or "Emotional Words" etc. It was simple to find the right word. And I also noticed that I often got compliments for a lot of copy I wrote with the help of the book, so I can only give it a definitive thumbs up! One piece of advise...if you can, buy it together with Part 1, so to speak, of the book : "Words that Sell" by the same author. Very labor-saving stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Great! You've got to buy it if you write., August 16, 2003
This review is from: More Words That Sell (Paperback)
There's not much to say about this book except buy it if you need to write and if you need to use words to persuade. I keep this book at my computer --- inches away from my right hand as I write for clients.
Highly recommended.
Susanna K. Hutcheson
...

5.0 out of 5 stars can't sell without it...., August 28, 2005
This review is from: More Words That Sell (Paperback)
Wow... I had been using the same words and phrases for

years and then I ordered this book and it totally changed

my presentation... a real boost and allowed me to

be more effective... Takes you from selling 101 to

advanced.....

4.0 out of 5 stars Good companion, September 20, 2005
This review is from: More Words That Sell (Paperback)
If the wording of this is very close to my review of "Words That Sell" by the same author, that's because they're both good, and very similar, books - both very useful if you're in selling or marketing. Generally based on common sense, with minimum hype, and arranged in chapters that make it easy to zero in on what you need. The additional sections, on copywriting for example, and the appendices are pretty useful too. Both sit on my desk now and are referred to almost daily. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not as inspiring as the original, but still a usable tool., August 14, 2009
This review is from: More Words That Sell (Paperback)
The first volume, "Word That Sell" was a good tool for copywriters: words and phrases to jog the mind, spark an idea, bring inspiration when your muse failed. This second volume, "More Words That Sell" focuses on narrower avenues, niches as the author puts it. I think it is this narrowness of focus that makes this volume less exciting than the first. But it is still very useful.

This time round, author Richard Bayan seemed a bit less inspired in his selection. For example, one of the sections, "Magic Response Words" urges the reader to memorize the list, but the words hardly seem worth the effort: free. Save, savings, discount, gift, special offer, value and so on". The author's commentary also seems a bit forced: "Notice that the words on this list appeal directly to the reader's elemental needs: a bargain, a fleeting opportunity, the urge to belong, the urge to possess, the pursuit of happiness, and the avoidance of pain". I think that's laying it on a bit thick.

A few of the sections verge on the hilarious, such as "Online Marketing Services", where the author opines that "Web commerce is here to stay". Even in 2004, when this book was published, that was a certainty. It is clear that the author was not himself fully versed in web marketing as he mixes words and phrases that essentially form a spammer's mini-dictionary.

I laughed at the chapter entitled "Sexy Words" where the author advises "[t]he key is to use the scintillating verbal imagery of sex to stimulate lust for your products". The word list is hardly scintillating: naked, nude, lithe, sleek, lean, firm, sigh and others.

While not as strong as its predecessor, "More Words That Sell" still fulfills its purpose as a thought-starter for copywriters. When you're stuck, not so much for a word, but for a concept, this is the kind of book that may tickle that idea lurking at the back of your mind. A worthwhile addition to the copywriter's toolkit.

Jerry

5.0 out of 5 stars I wore out my first copy!, September 13, 2005
This review is from: More Words That Sell (Paperback)
I'm not aware of a top copywriter that doesn't have a well worn copy of this great book on his/her desk.

As a copywriter, Rich Bayan's Words That Sell and More Words That Sell are as valuable to me as the thesaurus.

If I'm trying to brainstorm new ways to phrase something in my copy, all I need to do is flip through this book and I have thousands of power phrases and words to choose from.

Can you write good copy without buying this book? Sure.

But it will take you twice as long.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific tools for beating writer's block, July 28, 2007
This review is from: More Words That Sell (Paperback)
As a professional copywriter, I've often found myself stuck on the same few words and phrases. When I need a fresh idea I regularly turn to this book. It's a great way to beat writer's block, or find words that hit just the right tone and voice when you write.

Sure, some folks complain the lists are obvious, simple or too salesy. But when you have to write a lot, or you don't write very often, both this and the companion book Words that Sell, are worth their weight in gold.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have writing companion!, May 20, 2011
Amazon Customer (Sydney, NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: More Words That Sell (Paperback)
Just like Richard Bayan's other book "Words that Sell" this is an invaluable resource. When writing, and looking for descriptors that paint word pictures; that make your writing become more alive and real to the reader; you can't go past some of the ideas in this book. For example the color descriptions give you a whole new perspective e.g. whiskey as a color. I for one can see that in my glass and the unique color. What a great way to go. Well done Richard Bayan.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you write anything, buy this book., March 29, 2007
This review is from: More Words That Sell (Paperback)
This book along with the original "Words That Sell" are always within arms reach of my keyboard. It is the best thesaurus. Highly recommended. With such a low price tag is is very easy to recoup your minimal investment. It can be used with all kinds of correspondence, ads, memos, resumes, even personal ads. Don't hesitate, just buy it. It's great, magnificent, spectacular, sensational, awesome, marvelous, ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource., December 16, 2010
D. Wells (Kansas City, Mo.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: More Words That Sell (Paperback)
This book is jam packed with all the descriptive words you need, grouped into categories. No more thumbing through the dictionary trying to find the right word. Highly recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

More Words That Sell
More Words That Sell by Richard Bayan (Paperback - July 17, 2003)
$18.00 $11.13