5.0 out of 5 stars Sunny is Phenomenal;Expect nothing less from Hidden Beach
I've shopped at Amazon for years, and I have a LOT of CDs and albums, but I've rarely felt compelled to write a review. But this one deserves it. If you appreciate, no, if you LOVE good music in these days of generic copycats, you've got to buy this album.

Published on June 12, 2007 by Kristine

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected
This cd isn't as good as I thought. I know music is very subjective but it sounds really amateur to me.
Published 12 months ago by Dee

5.0 out of 5 stars Sunny is Phenomenal;Expect nothing less from Hidden Beach, June 12, 2007
Kristine (Planet Earth) - See all my reviews
This review is from: More of You (Audio CD)

I received a Hidden Beach sampler CD with Jill Scott's "Collaborations", heard Sunny's voice and was mesmerized. I was so excited about this release, and now that I have "More of You", I can't stop playing it. Her voice is gorgeous (excellent vocal control). The songs are beautiful. This doesn't sound like a lot of other gospel albums, and I am impressed by the various genres I hear influencing this project. I listen to almost every kind of music out there, and most artists don't have the range or talent to touch upon so many styles at once without enlisting the help of 20 different producers: Christian /gospel/inspirational, R&B, funk, pop, rock. Oh, did I mention that Sunny and Jamie wrote and produced this album themselves with little help? They've each written for other artists, as well. The title track has a Chaka Khan-like-funk groove to it, and "Alright" goes into the realm of Christian Rock. "Love Me Too" has a message that everyone really needs to hear. But the songs that bring me to my knees...and tears, are "Its Like Air" which expresses knowing God's love, and "Crazy" a love song for her husband Jamie (and another talented artist) which could be a love song to God, as well.

I can always count on Hidden Beach to come with something interesting. They could market this album in so many different ways, and it will be interesting to see what happens. But, I hope that Sunny Hawkins' "More of You" sells well, that her message gets out, and that people recognize Sunny's and Jamie's talents. From my heart, I truly wish them the best and much success. I give them a standing ovation for being original. I really love this CD!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Forcast: Sunny all day., June 18, 2007
This review is from: More of You (Audio CD)
Passionate, angelic, eloquent, expressive and anointed are the words that come to mind as I best describe "More Of You" by Sunny Hawkins.

During and after listening to this project, one question continues to repeat itself to me and that is, "why don't more of today's gospel artists offer this level of originality?" Sunny Hawkins fearlessly steps out of the proverbial "gospel music box" to spread the message of the gospel to all who will listen and if marketed successfully, a lot of ears are going to hear her message. "More of You" is certainly not your grandma's gospel; this is today's gospel.

Sunny's vocals are regal, (a reality I experienced after once hearing her on stage in the Broadway hit "Rent"). The production, shared with her husband, Jamie, is nothing short of flawless and the substance of each composition is arresting. Visited here are various musical flavors, including Urban Contemporary, Christian Contemporary, R&B, Pop and even Rock, but when asked to define this sound in her own words, Sunny labels it: "Urban Inspirational". My faves on this CD include: "More Of You", "Daddy's Got You Now", "Where Would I Be", "It's Like Air", "Jesus The Same", "You're Everything", "Love Me Too", "Alright" and "What If".

Radio and not limited to Christian or Gospel radio, should find this recording very engaging to its listeners. My only apprehension here is that gospel radio may totally overlook this fine effort, misinterpreting some of its content. However, I may be wrong; once they realize she is the daughter-in law of Walter and Tramaine Hawkins, they may be compelled to afford her greater consideration. [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST ALBUM EVER!!!!!!, October 2, 2008
F. Salley (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: More of You (Audio CD)
I listen to all types of gospel music. I have underground and mainstream gospel. I have classical, urban, traditional, and "hip hop" gospel music. After years of purchases I must say Sunny Hawkins has the best cd I have ever heard. I can listen to every song without skipping (that's a feat for me). Her vocals are umcomparable. Sunny's range is crazy, from Lisa McClendon's alto to Karen Clark-Sheard's contrasoprano. She can jazz it up like Anita Baker and rock out like Toby Mac. This is one purchase that I do not regret.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulously annointed, June 20, 2008
This review is from: More of You (Audio CD)
I buy a LOT of Christian music and find it hard to find a neo-soul style that ministers the Word of God without compromise. I love this CD -- it is on heavy rotation. I can appreciate that this sister loves the Lord and makes a point to reflect this in her music when she can easily do secular stuff and be appreciated their. Her voice is breathtaking, the beats are 'today' and her heart shines through. Keep on keeping on Sunny! God is smiling down on you! :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid music with a solid label!!, January 24, 2008
This review is from: More of You (Audio CD)
A Gospel "Jill Scott." Actually, she is on the same label that Jill's first album is on. I really enjoy this music when I first get home from work with my family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome New Artist, August 20, 2007
This review is from: More of You (Audio CD)
Love this album. She reminds me of Lisa McClendon's second album. She calls it Urban Inspirational. It has a neo-soul gospel sound flow, but not limited to that. Her voice is great as well. Don't let the price fool you. This is a quality project.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sunny Hawkins is my new favorite artist!, December 25, 2012
This review is from: More of You (Audio CD)
I am absolutely in love with this CD. Looking forward to hearing more from Sunny Hawkins. I love every song! It's in constant rotation in my car's CD player! I had honestly never heard of her until I heard one or two of the songs from this album on Pandora and I had to own it. I can't name a favorite track because they all are excellent. The perfect blend of worship and praise! Well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Song A Keeper!!!, September 6, 2012
This review is from: More Of You (MP3 Music)
I love the whole album first heard it on Pandora then I began to Youtube it,It has a nice flow to it and I sometimes sway with a song or just belt out the lyrics at the top of my lungs!! I highly recommend this but take care when driving cause you will want to sing along and some people just don't understand it when you are "feelin" a song!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Woman of God, February 13, 2012
This review is from: More of You (Audio CD)
Sunny she has great vocals and the songs all blend. Unique lyrics on all the songs.

I wish she has another cd that i can buy.

Regards,
Lindah

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Sunny Hawkins, December 29, 2011
This review is from: More of You (Audio CD)
Great gospel CD. I love it. I listen to it almost everyday. It is more for the younger crowd but It is versatile to whoever listens to gospel.

More of You
More of You by Sunny Hawkins (Audio CD - 2007)
Rate and Discover Movies