‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunningly beautiful, November 15, 2012
This review is from: More than Human (Hardcover)
What a gorgeous book! It is stunningly beautiful and every page is moving and thought-provoking. The photos of primates, especially, are very evocative. I really can't recommend this book enough.

It would make a wonderful gift for anyone interested in animals and/or the natural world.

4.0 out of 5 stars Incredible photography - pretentious text, November 22, 2012
This review is from: More than Human (Hardcover)
I found this book while browsing at my local library, brought it home and ordered my own copy some 10 mins later. The photographs are absolutely incredible as is their reproduction - the detail defies description with the layout design being outstanding. The printing, done in Belgium, has to be among the very best I've seen possibly the equivalent of an Apple Retina screen reduced to paper. Why not 5 stars? Firstly, while there are very nice thumbnails of each photo indicating where they were taken, there is no camera information which is a pity. Secondly and more importantly is the text by Lewis Blackwell which is mostly irritating psychobabble verging on pretentious drivel- "we are not looking at animals....etc etc". A gorgeous book and given its quality reasonably priced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely MUCH More Than Human, December 22, 2012
This review is from: More than Human (Hardcover)
This book will keep you enthralled for hours on end...the photography is not only magnificent, it is truly inspired.

I like how certain characteristics and details of the animals are honed in on and put in a sequence. The photographer is much more than a photographer here. He leads us to opening up our eyes far beyond what they have been able to see before.

I've never had an experience like this looking at pictures before! I've always thought looking at life in person is the best way to learn about it and know it. This book has shown me that the moments caught by an inspired mind can be more far-reaching than the fleeting glimpses we see in our everyday world.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who is looking to understand life and how wonderful it is!

4.0 out of 5 stars One Major Flaw, November 29, 2013
This review is from: More than Human (Hardcover)
The photographs are exquisite, the content of the text is informative and written in a style easy to understand. However, the font is so small and light that it doesn't invite reading. All the pages of text are at least 3/4 blank. The text takes up one small corner in an otherwise blank page. We bought this for a granddaughter's 13th birthday. She is thrilled with it, but I noticed as people looked through it they didn't stop to read the text. Even when they wanted more information about the photograph. This is a glaring fault in an otherwise stellar achievement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Through The Looking Glass., February 12, 2014
LastRanger (Homosassa, Fl, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: More than Human (Hardcover)
It took a gifted photographer with a "state of the art" Hasselblad camera and an array of the worlds finest natural "models" to create this stunning coffee-table book. With close to 200 highly detailed shots of mammals, fish, reptiles and birds this book will give you an unprecedented look at the animal kingdom. Author Tim Flach devoted several years in the production of More Than Human. The book is set up primarily for the photo's, most are full page spreads with a few smaller multi-frame series and some two page spreads. The amount of detail contained in these huge blow-ups is astounding, you can almost reach into the picture and feel the fur or feathers. Extreme close-ups of insects and other invertebrates are incredible, giving you an intimate look into a small world. Most animal-picture books of this nature are filled with shots of wild free ranging animals in their natural habitat, not so this one. With the exception of the two Mexican Free-tailed bat shots, most of the pictures were taken in a studio type set-up where Flach had complete control of lighting and framing of the subject. The two bat frames were taken at Bat Cave Preserve, Texas, USA. The fish and other aquatic animals were taken at various professional Aquariums in the UK an USA. Many of larger mammals and some insects were at the Amey Zoo in the UK. Look for the picture captions in the back of the book and you will see all the different organization that supplied the animal "models" for these shots. One reviewer on Amazon voiced concern over possible mistreatment of the subjects. As far as I could see every shot was taken under the supervision of the organization supplying the subject and a professional Animal Handler was present for each shot. All of these Zoos, Aquariums, Film-Company's and Animal Breeders have invested thousands of dollars in their collections and I find it hard to believe they would tolerate any kind of mistreatment or unsafe shooting conditions that might jeopardize their animals. Flach does supply the name and Web address for each organization used, if you'r still in doubt do some research and see what you come up with. The text portion of the book is by Lewis Blackwell and he delves into the philosophy of photography in general and animal photography in particular, while interesting it was not exactly what I was looking for. In addition to the picture captions in the back some pictures have captions of their own that go into the biology of the subject. If you're looking for a book filled with unusual animal photos and interesting insights on animal biology and thoughts on photo-art then you might want to give this one a try. I was more than satisfied with More Than Human. The two weeks I took to study the photos and read the text was time well spent.

LastRanger

5.0 out of 5 stars all ages delightful..., September 21, 2013
This review is from: More than Human (Hardcover)
Spectacularly beautiful images that all ages from my 2 year old to the adults reading to them enjoyed. The volume was re-visited by the kids later on their own...with big, broad smiles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Depictions of Our Fellow Animals on Earth, February 7, 2013
This review is from: More than Human (Hardcover)
This book, filled with amazing photographs by Tim Flach, is like a prayer. It takes my breath away with its stunning depictions of our fellow animals. Flach's photographs are a mystery - how does he get them? He introduces his audience to such tender moments and the text by Lewis Blackwell offers information to supplement these purely visual expressions of hope. I think it is impossible to look through this book - to really look at these photographs - and not feel how much like us our fellow citizens are, and how intricately related we all are on this fragile planet. Not just incidentally, all those thoughts raise heartbreaking questions regarding how we treat all these other earthlings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful gift!, December 20, 2013
This review is from: More than Human (Hardcover)
My sister-in-law photographs animals at a shelter and has a special affinity for wild beasts who, in her case, are in rehab for release, which she documents via photos. She was absolutely delighted with this book, saying it was the best she had ever seen. The photography is beyond compare and is inspiring for even those who don't go gaga over animals.
This is an enchanting coffee table book, beautifully bound with heavy paper and high quality. Good for any animal lover or photographer in your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars I want to give it six stars!, July 20, 2013
nood65 "halloween aficionado" (San Diego, Ca United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: More than Human (Hardcover)
The moment I saw this photographer's work online I knew I'd seen the epitome of animal photography. Nothing compares. I don't know how he does it but it's absolutely enchanting. I bought this book as a gift and I'll be getting one for myself. At the birthday party, it became the center of attention. Everyone was incredulous and the group ranged in ages from 14 to 75. For anyone who loves animals, photography, art, attention to detail - this is a lifelong treasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, June 24, 2013
This review is from: More than Human (Hardcover)
Beautiful photos from cover to cover. I sat with each of my grandchildren, one by one, and we oohed and awwed at every page and talked about everything. Time very well spent. They LOVED guessing on some of the subjects and we all learned together about a huge variety of interesting things. Completely delightful! This book will remain on our coffee table for everyone to admire over and over. Awesome!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

More than Human
More than Human by Lewis Blackwell (Hardcover - October 1, 2012)
$70.00 $43.82