Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on March 20, 2011
Last year my family and I became addicted to this sport and have been anxiously awaiting spring. While trying to learn as much as we can in preparation for the season, we came across this newly released book. I recieved it yesterday, and armed with a pink highlighter I spend several hours poring through this practical guide, reading and marking it into the late night.

The authors are mushroom "chasers" (people who follow mushrooms north as the season progresses)from the midwest, seasoned guides who conduct seminars, teachers of classes on the subject and clearly experts in their field. This book was exactly what I needed, answering many questions I have had regarding picking locations which are likely to host morels, providing suggestions and information about hunting on public land, and efficient methodologies to utilize on the hunt. Consise information regarding timing, the order in which the different types of Morels appear, along with specific information regarding where you will most likely find each variety is invaluable. Additionally, great descriptions and tips to identify trees, had me unconscientously scoping out possible locations while I was out and about this moring. Information about simple drying and storage methods and a handful of recipes help to round out this book. This book is packed with tips and information for the novice like me, but I bet that even the most seasoned hunter stands to learn a lot.
on April 24, 2012
I read this book in one sitting and I must say- I was a complete Morel hunting noob.
This book easily goes over temperatures to look for specific types of Morels, what regions to look for Morels, the migrating pattern of the Morel, and odd behaviors which were encountered when the author hunted for them.
Cites several other people, their work, and how it has affected them. I also read "Morel" the book, and must say that Morel Hunting was much more practical.

The tree identifying section is particularly useful as it shows good trees and bad trees. However, there isn't enough information to readily identify all of the trees mentioned but a little research on trees can clear that right up. The information presented is what a guru mushroom hunter will tell you when you ask how to find Morels. Of course they'll never reveal their "spot" but that's common sense.

Good luck and happy hunting!
on April 5, 2014
I found this book to be disappointing. While there is an adequate amount of information in it, it isn't spectacularly well written. Certain chapters and topics lose focus, whole sentences and phrases are repeated ad nauseum, and certain things offered anecdotally as fact don't really ring true to me nor are they cited in any way. I generally was left with the feeling that I didn't get my money's worth with this book. It's probably OK as a beginner's guide, but leaves a lot to be desired for those of us who would prefer more depth.
on April 11, 2015
Okay book, but thin, general and the author repeats himself almost in every chapter with the same anecdotes and common knowledge. I don't feel liken this author should have written a book. It feels like he was rushed and couldn't wait to publish his first draft.
on November 18, 2014
I wanted a book that was basic, but showed pictures of trees and possible locations on where to look. I'm getting my niece and nephew into nature and looking for mushrooms. It's like a treasure hunt to them, and this book got them all excited for spring.
on January 1, 2013
I'd borrowed this book from a friend and really found it helpful for hunting morel mushrooms. It's a very useful book and I highly recommend it.
on January 3, 2015
Interesting reading for the novice shroomer, pro shroomer, or the semi-pro sometimes find a bunch sometimes get skunked shroomer like myself.
on October 27, 2014
Product arrived in timely manner in good shape. Works great I love it! Will order from buyer again! Thanks!
on July 11, 2015
Great book. Has a lot of new info about morels that I haven't seen before and is a pleasure to read.
on September 14, 2014
Very interesting and informative for those who love Morels!