Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on January 27, 2003
Charles Spurgeon is one of those brilliant Christian writers who I've just discovered as a new convert, but others have treasured for years. After my pastor quoted him for the third time in a homily, I decided I needed to learn more. And then I received this wonderful devotional for Christmas--perfect timing!
This is an version of Spurgeon's classic daily devotional, which has been updated using the New Internation Version of the Bible as a source for the scripture verses. Spurgeon's writing has also been revised somewhat to tranlate some of the archaic expressions into phrasing that will make sense to modern readers.
The text still retains a turn-of-the-century feel, but the words are no longer a barrier to understanding.
There are meditations for each morning and evening. They are full of wisdom and comfort, and I am amazed at how much richness Spurgeon is able to draw from even the shortest bits of text, "mighty to save", "He humbled Himself", etc. This gives readers a renewed appreciation for the value of each and every word in Scripture.
Helpful indexes make the book useful as a reference when readers need help or inspiration on a particular topic. This is a book that will be used long after the original devotions have been enjoyed on a daily basis.
33 comments80 of 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2006
This is a penetrating compilation of meditations written by "The Prince of Preachers," Charles Haddon Spurgeon. The man many knew as the most widely popular of English preachers in the nineteenth century, was born in Essex, England in 1834. Spurgeon, who became a Baptist preacher at the age of 20, was such an impressive preacher that his chapel was unable to accommodate all those who wanted to hear him.

Spurgeon is a man of both keen intellect and profound conviction of a sort that was most rare for his time, and I believe is all but non-existent today.

Spurgeon's life heeded the Berean call to search the Scriptures daily and to evaluate everything we read and hear by that standard! He loved others enough to tell them the truth without compromise!

But the most important ingredient to Spurgeon's success was his deep, yet very simple trust in and understanding of his Lord and Saviour and of His great grace and love. Out of this came a great longing to have others come to know, to love and to worship the Lord Jesus as he did. This will become readily apparent as one drinks in Spurgeon's commentary and meditates on his Biblical message.

This book is broken into facing pages for the same date such as: This Morning's Meditation, and This Evening's Meditation.

This book will absolutely bless your Biblical socks off!
0Comment29 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 9, 1998
At last, a delightful modern treatise on Spurgy's wonderful devotions. No excuses anymore, the King's English has been modernized so that us contemporary, modern Christians can understand and apply the deep truths of the faith. This devotional, if used prayerfully, will change your life and deepen your well of faith.
0Comment22 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 23, 1999
This book is wonderful: comforting, challenging, and sustaining. So many days, I am amazed by how this book speaks to me exactly where I am. For years, my mother and grandmother both read this book everyday. I now understand the appeal. I know it will be a lifelong companion for my spiritual walk.
on March 11, 2001
Charles Spurgeon was never too busy to consider the common people of his congregation during his day. In his majisterial "Treasury of David" commentary on Psalms, he included a "Notes for the Village Preacher" at the end of every study. In his "Lectures to my Students", we find him exhorting his students not to "over-preach" lest the widowed mother of seven children in the congregation will miss out the simple, wonderful message of God's lovingkindness. Here, in "Morning & Evening", we find a Spurgeon who speaks directly to the common Christians who long for a closer walk with God.
11 comment15 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2011
This work is broken it to two parts, the author's reflection on scriptural text to be read in the morning, and a reflection on another verse for the evening. The morning and evening reflections are vivid, powerful, and inspiring. The masterful old English prose flows well; the snippets of scripture insightfully expounded upon. The bits of scripture addressed are small, perhaps a single verse or two, and yet are weighty enough to linger in your mind throughout the day. I had never really adhered to a daily devotional type of Bible study until I found this work. Now I am committed to completing both portions by the end of the day. Definitely worth the time and will make your day much richer.

Now, with regard to the kindle formatting, I had but one issue. That is that the TOC does not link to individual months, but only to the individual (AM/PM) readings within the months. So, let's say you want to jump to a November reading, you'd have to page through all the linked readings of prior months before you could get to the one desired. I have seen another kindle version that links the months, and then also links the individual readings for every month as well. Had I not purchased this version first, I would have bought that one instead. It is not a big enough issue for me to return this version, but I thought I would give a warning to those would be buyers. In either case, this work is well worth the money.
on August 28, 2000
Spurgeon is the best! I never fail to find something to stir my heart in this book. I can't count the number of times the morning's entry has been just exactly what I needed to hear on that particular day. The readings are short, only about one page each, but rich and full of depth, providing insights that keep me thinking about my Lord and Savior throughout the day.
11 comment13 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 2, 2002
This book has helped me to refocus on my relationship with God. I have learned some new ways of looking at things in the Scriptures and some things have been re-iterated for me. I enjoy reading the morning devotional during my morning prayer time and the evening devotional helps me to focus on God before going to bed rather than on the worries of the day. I want to get a copy of it for most of my friends as I think it would be a blessing to them. I am referring to the New International Version of the text.
on May 2, 2006
Spurgeon displays his special gift of expressing truth so beautifully yet in a way that inspires devotion to God and meditation on God's Word, not Spurgeon's. As the title suggests, this devotional offers 2 daily readings, instead of one per day that's typical of most devotionals.
on September 9, 1998
Clearly my favorite devotional book, Spurgy has a superb eloquence of speech and deep pattern of thought. He paraphrases scripture to explain other scripture and causes the provocation of thought. His metaphors and analogies are totally awesome. This devotional is for the growing Christian looking for more than just milk!