Top positive review
7 people found this helpful
Installs fast and works great with consistent performance
on May 30, 2013
First, I read the other 16 reviews for this knob before purchasing. Luckily, I have not experienced the problems that others had experienced... perhaps the internal design was modified since those reviews were written.
I purchased the polished brass version. While not the best looking brass finish that I have seen, I have no real complaint. What the knob may lack in quality brass finish it more than makes up in functionality.
The knob installed very quickly, just as installing any other basic door knob with the exception of putting a wire through the door hole. I do not have a deadbolt on my door, but because of the height of this unit on the interior and exterior sides (there is a sizeable battery box on the interior), some may experience problems when trying to fit this and a deadbolt.
Connecting this deadbolt to my Insteon Morninglinc module and Smartlinc was very easy. Although I cannot check the status of the lock, I can lock and unlock remotely via smartphone or computer, if needed.
Operation of the knob through the keypad is successful about 90% of the time. The other 10%, one of two things happen: 1) the keypad misses the first digit pressed, and spits back "error" beeps; or 2) the door tries to unlock (motor spins), but does not actually unlock. Because these are rather rare occurences, they do not bother me much at all. To address the first problem, be sure to press the buttons fully, and listen for the confirmation "beep" after *each* digit pressed. To address the second problem, simply press the *lock* button on the keypad to reset the motor and lock, and then enter your code again. In my experience, the second problem was usually caused by myself or my wife failing to fully turn the lock/unlock knob inside the house, sometimes leaving the knob partially between locked and unlocked.
I really enjoy using this lock, and the ability to enter the house without keys (garage door opener is a backup) is really great.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy anotehr of these locks and encourage others to try this product.