Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: MORNING INDUSTRY INC QKK-01SN 3-In-1 Remote Control & Touchpad Doorknob, Satin Nickel
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on May 30, 2013
First, I read the other 16 reviews for this knob before purchasing. Luckily, I have not experienced the problems that others had experienced... perhaps the internal design was modified since those reviews were written.

I purchased the polished brass version. While not the best looking brass finish that I have seen, I have no real complaint. What the knob may lack in quality brass finish it more than makes up in functionality.

The knob installed very quickly, just as installing any other basic door knob with the exception of putting a wire through the door hole. I do not have a deadbolt on my door, but because of the height of this unit on the interior and exterior sides (there is a sizeable battery box on the interior), some may experience problems when trying to fit this and a deadbolt.

Connecting this deadbolt to my Insteon Morninglinc module and Smartlinc was very easy. Although I cannot check the status of the lock, I can lock and unlock remotely via smartphone or computer, if needed.

Operation of the knob through the keypad is successful about 90% of the time. The other 10%, one of two things happen: 1) the keypad misses the first digit pressed, and spits back "error" beeps; or 2) the door tries to unlock (motor spins), but does not actually unlock. Because these are rather rare occurences, they do not bother me much at all. To address the first problem, be sure to press the buttons fully, and listen for the confirmation "beep" after *each* digit pressed. To address the second problem, simply press the *lock* button on the keypad to reset the motor and lock, and then enter your code again. In my experience, the second problem was usually caused by myself or my wife failing to fully turn the lock/unlock knob inside the house, sometimes leaving the knob partially between locked and unlocked.

I really enjoy using this lock, and the ability to enter the house without keys (garage door opener is a backup) is really great.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy anotehr of these locks and encourage others to try this product.
on December 7, 2010
This knob installs pretty easily. Battery access is also easy with the removal of a small screw on the inside upper portion above the knob. However, the problem comes when you unlock the door from the outside, then come inside and try to turn the center to lock it. It would not turn without a lot of effort. I unlocked the door using the keypad and then locked it again with the outside keypad and it seemed to work fine. Once again, using the inside knob and turning the lock it was near impossible to turn. I called the 800 number for support and the gentleman told me to hold the inside of the center lock while putting the code in to unlock the door. Holding the center lock in place while it is trying to unlock the door you can feel it start to move but stopping it from actually moving the locking mechanism makes the clutch reset. This fixed the problem in being able to unlock from the outside come inside and then turn the lock to once again lock the door. However, I keep having to do this over about every 2 or 3 times when I unlock the door from the outside. It appears that this clutch is not working properly or that depending on where this clutch ends up in the process can cause the inside lock to be turned slightly (being neither exactly horizontal or exactly vertical. Very annoying. The knob works fine when using the pad to unlock and lock the door. However, when using the inside lock it will hang and is nearly impossible to turn about every 2 or 3 times. Cannot recommend.
on September 12, 2011
I really like this lock. The hands free action is very convenient. It was pretty easy to install and program. It looks very modern and doesn't seem cheap or flimsy. It comes with two (mechanical) keys and one remote fob. The key pad flashes green when unlocked and red when locked. Things to keep in mind: 1) this is not a deadbolt, just a handle lock 2) if you already have a deadbolt in your door, this lock might not fit under it because it's pretty tall. I had to put this new lock on top, and the deadbolt on the bottom 3) it takes 4 "AA" batteries. Heed the instructions warnings about only new batteries. The only thing I don't like is that it seems pretty expensive.
on May 12, 2014
I have had this for a number of years. I keep giving up on it when it doesn't work right. Today I went back to see if I can get it to work properly. However, after I program it, it seems to work once. Then it works on the second try. Sometimes it doesn't work at all. There is no consistency to it. I would recommend not buying it.
on December 12, 2012
The morning star HKK antique finish keyless pad hasn't ever worked.
It didn't want to use the 4 coded numbers and at first would accept and open with only the last 2 numbers. Then it would only accept the 3rd number [ made beep sound] and still wouldn't open. We had to use a key to get in most the time.

FOR SUPPORT We tried to call 2 different phone numbers, one from box and one from web site...both said "mailbox full" can't leave message.
Email Info site and customer service....no response.
I just ordered a new one from a different company.
Don't know what I'm suppose to do with this one!
Oh, yes, we did try new batteries!
If you always want to use the key, THIS ONES FOR YOU!
on January 21, 2011
I love this door lock. I usually don't even write reviews, but this was worth it. I bought an extra remote for my wife. Installation was easy. The unit seems pretty heavy duty, and strong. The door knob itself is a little harder to turn then other door handles, but this was the nicest doorlock set I could find, and I'm very happy with it.
on December 2, 2014
I installed this as a gift for my elderly aunt who is having trouble getting up to answer the door nowadays. The install was super easy. There is a tiny slide switch that lets you choose whether the door will auto-lock or not, each time its opened, and this switch is easily accessible before you put the cover on to complete installation. The product details claim you must be within 15 feet with the remote, but I tested all the way to the back of the house, or about 40 feet away, and it worked fine. I suggested to her that, since everybody has a cell phone nowadays, she could tell her regular visitors to just call her as they approach the front door and she will buzz them in. I like that the lock makes a very audible buzzing sound as it unlocks, and it lights up the keypad, so there is both audible and visual indication for her visitors as to what is happening with the door knob (even Homer will intuitively know to grasp door knob and enter upon seeing keypad light up with a buzzing sound :) Myself, I am not invalid but I want one for my door anyway because its just such a cool invention.
UPDATE: Its mid-Feb 2016, and my aunt is still enjoying the luxury of not having to get up to answer the door. This product has not given her any problems, and is working reliably. It may only get used a few times per day, but so far so good. I am here today to buy one for my own door and I thought I'd update this while I am here.
on September 11, 2015
UPDATED: This item lasted a couple of weeks. Then the lock wouldn't lock or unlock without extraordinary effort, and remote and keypad locking and unlocking stopped working entirely.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: I just installed this yesterday, and it seems to do the trick well.

First the downsides: The packaging is not frustration-free. I actually cut myself trying to liberate the product from the plastic, and it was so difficult and awkward that there is a small scratch on the housing from the shears I ended up having to use. Also: The installation is not straight-forward. First, the instructions are terse and somewhat opaque to anyone who doesn't know much about this sort of thing. The photos are insultingly small, especially for those of us with older eyes. There are some persnickety steps to the installation that demand larger, clearer photographs. Third: The orientation of the hole in the latch assembly is very important. If it isn't exactly perfect, the door knob won't turn once the assembly is installed. And while the instructions say that the rod needs to go face up, and instructions that the hole must be adjusted laterally, there are inadequate hints about how the hole in the latch assembly must be oriented. I had to take the whole thing apart and put it back together again twice, trying different things with the hole in the latch assembly. This should be much more straightforward or at least much better explained and directed in the instructions.

The electronics side of the the product was simple, straightforward, and clearly explained in the instructions, by comparison. The connection between the two ribbon cables was a little challenging for arthritic hands with large fingers, but for anyone else it would be easy. The programming of the entry codes was also very simple. I would prefer it if the battery compartment was secured with a higher quality screw. The screw is so soft, and the hole so tight, that I worry that the screw will eventually strip.

The strike plate is a bit longer that what was installed previously. The top screw location was in the right spot, but the opening in the strike place required chiseling out another quarter inch of wood, all the way down to the bottom screw location. Also, the strike plate itself was a bit larger all around then the depression within which the old strike place sat. However, it was relatively simple (with a sharp chisel) to clean up these differences. However, it should be noted that once you go to a strike plate with a larger open, like this, there's effectively no going back (at least for us non-carpenters).

The door knob itself feels quite nice in the hand - while it isn't heavy duty, per se, it's definitely better than the rather lightweight door knob that it replaced (a door knob that was far too lightweight to be on an exterior door - one reason why we bought this new door knob, incidentally).

So far, after just a few minutes of playing with the product, we feel comfortable enough to replace the lockset on another exterior door in the house with another Morning Industry lockset (the second lockset being a deadbolt and handle arrangement). We'll surely be reporting back over time, regarding both products and how well they serve us.
on March 3, 2016
As mentioned by another reviewer, this was too tall to install in normal position below deadbolt on my door. Moved existing deadbolt into doorknob location and installed this in top position. Simple installation and setup. My wife, who normally arrives home from work after midnight, absolutely loves it. She can unlock door while still in her car, then directly enter door without having to pause to use keys. Really convenient while carrying groceries, etc. Great product that is well worth the money.
on May 26, 2014
Very good door lock! Now I don't have to mess with keys anymore! Remote control works great for letting me in or unlocking door for guest from across my house! Can even give temporary passwords to guest! I also recommend the deadbolt style! You can set a switch inside the lock so it will automatically lock after you unlock it with a key or remote from the outside or if someone turns the inside lock lever. The door automatically relocks after about 10 seconds!