5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected

Published on November 27, 2011 by Matthew Coblentz

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected, August 14, 2010
Garrett Jones (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moroccan Tagine Free Shipping by Treasures Of Morocco
This tagine is far better that I had hoped it would be. It seems to handle high temperature cooking wonderfully, which is not always the case with tagines. Clean up is super easy and it is a lot of fun to cook with because it can go from stove top to oven. I wish I had gotten an extra large instead of a large though. If you are planning on cooking for four people or more I would recommend the extra large.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, February 24, 2011
antz "antz9490" (Newburgh, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moroccan Tagine Free Shipping by Treasures Of Morocco
I became interested in tagines (the food) while going through one of my cook books trying to find something "good" to make for dinner. The tagine is a very flavorful stew type dish that is simmered slowly in a tagine (the vessel). The end result is meat/beans etc. that melt in your mouth. The seller described the clay vessel as made in Morocco by hand as it has been for years. It is beautiful to look at and does an amazing job of cooking tagines. This item was the first tagine I had ever purchased so I was little sceptical about putting it directly on top of my glass cooktop. However, the functionality was as described. The vessel browns food nicely and clean-up is easy. Because it is made by hand the appearance is not perfect but for me, the small imperfections add character and uniqueness. One thing to note is that seasoning the vessel requires several hours of submersion in water and then several more hours in an oven so don't expect that once it arrives you can open the box and use immediately. One other thing to consider is that the small one is not large enough to prepare food for six. If you are planning on cooking for more than four I would suggest the larger size.

3.0 out of 5 stars Authentic but smal, November 27, 2011
This review is from: Moroccan Tagine Free Shipping by Treasures Of Morocco
I bought this tagine after getting interested in Mediterranean cooking. I have a cookbook for tagine-based recipes Tagines & Couscous: Delicious Recipes for Moroccan One-Pot Cooking and I wanted to try it out. The tagine arrived well packed and protected. I found out that it is an authentically made tagine from Morocco (great) but not suitable for a gas stove (oops). You will need a diffuser or some large metal plate if you want to use this on a gas stove.

Tagines are simply one-pot cooking on a stove. This tagine cooks very well but is a bit small for a family of 5 - you can't fit all the ingredients into it for a meal that large and that's why I gave it 3 stars. Other than that, I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars exotic and functional cookware, March 7, 2011
This review is from: Moroccan Tagine Free Shipping by Treasures Of Morocco
The tagine is both exotic and functional. The one I received did not have the painted embellishments on it, but still cooked us a delicious meal. It would be helpful to have the care, seasoning, and suggested recipes for the tagine included with it. I'm very pleased with the size, the shape, and availability for the price!

1.0 out of 5 stars Mine Broke on Glass Top Stove, June 2, 2013
This review is from: Moroccan Tagine Free Shipping by Treasures Of Morocco
I received this tagine as a Christmas gift, seasoned it properly and used it in the oven without problem - but I was hesitant to try it on top of my glass top stove. After taking a Moroccan tagine cooking class, my instructor said that clay tagines could only be used on gas stoves, so I looked this up on Amazon, read the reviews and even the description, which said it COULD be used on any type of stove and took my chances. Halfway through the cooking process, the tagine cracked. At first I thought it was a linear crack through the bottom. Once it cooled and I went to discard it, the entire bottom fell out!
I'll keep the lid, as that is still intact, and use it to cover a frying pan... but I am SO disappointed!

2.0 out of 5 stars A big disappointment, December 23, 2013
This review is from: Moroccan Tagine Free Shipping by Treasures Of Morocco
I have a large sized tagine that is too big if cooking for 2 to 4 people so I purchased a medium and a small sized one intending to keep the small one and give the medium one to a friend for Christmas. I was vey pleased with my large tagine which has a beautiful design and is very well made so I was expecting something similar.

I chose the two I purchased because the price was reasonable and free shipping was offered. I ordered them and picked them up on a trip to the US. They arrived in one parcel each wrapped in bubble wrap and then wrapped together one inside the other. When I got them home I was excited to unwrap them but they were not what I expected based on previous purchases. I will now comment on only the medium tagine.

If I had seen it in a store I would have expected it to be marked "seconds". In other words substandard. Firstly, it is very badly finished. The inside of the lid is rough and there are little pieces of clay sticking to it that should have been removed before it was fired. The same is true of the base and one particular piece on the cooking surface sticks up and is very sharp. Now with the firing, these little pieces have become part of the lid and base making it very difficult to clean as any kind of cloth used in washing and drying catches on them leaving threads behind. This happened when I tried to dry the tagine after soaking in water during the seasoning process and I'm not sure how food will fare as I have not cooked with it.

I could have purchased a plain one but thought the design looked attractive. Whoever applied the design did a very sloppy job as there are smears and black finger marks on several areas making it look dirty and unattractive. The glaze is poorly applied and does not completely cover the the lid inside. I compared it my existing tagine to see if I was being too critical but I couldn't find any of these drawbacks on it.

A couple of years ago I bought a similar tagine that I was very pleased with and I know it didn't have any of these imperfections. Unfortunately I didn't use a heat diffuser and although it got lots of use it eventually cracked. I also bought a heat diffuser to go with this tagine to give to my friend. However, I have decided to keep it myself and get something else as a gift. I know I can return it but I live in Canada and return postage is huge. As a cooking pot it may well do the job but overall it is a big disappointment.

4.0 out of 5 stars moroccan tagine...i commented on the product and the company favorably., December 4, 2013
Moroccan tagine

I called the company for more information about the tagine I bought. the gentleman who spoke to me was polite and helpful. he assured me if I were not satisfied, I could get a complete refund. the item came exactly on time and I am very satisfied with the item and the company. my only suggestion is that some instructions for use should be included with the item.
r. dunaief

5.0 out of 5 stars my tagine, July 1, 2013
This review is from: Moroccan Tagine Free Shipping by Treasures Of Morocco
it did and the flavor was as I expected I've had clay pots from Peru I'm now trying to find something larger with a top at least 10 inches

4.0 out of 5 stars Gift for a friend, September 26, 2012
This review is from: Moroccan Tagine Free Shipping by Treasures Of Morocco
A friend has a cookbook for Tagines and wanted a traditional one to try out some of the recipes. We haven't had anything using it yet but I'm really looking forward to it. She loves this Tagine from Morocco.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor quality, March 1, 2012
This review is from: Moroccan Tagine Free Shipping by Treasures Of Morocco
I purchased this "glazed" tagine and was told by the seller it would be smooth and not porous. I cooked in it once, after soaking it the night before. After cooking, I thoroughly washed and dried it. The next week, I took it out to cook in it and mold had formed on the inside bottom of the tagine in the porous holes and on the bottom outside. YUCK!
Never again would I buy any item from this seller. Very poor quality and now unusable.

Moroccan Tagine Free Shipping by Treasures Of Morocco