Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Campbell's Lather King Hot Lather Machine, Charcoal
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on April 9, 2011
Just wanted to post my own review after reading the negative comments on some of the other reviews. I have had great results with my hot lather machine and I'll tell you how it's worked for me. Yes, this machine is meant for barbers that perform multiple shaves all throughout the day/week. The problem is that since most of us will only use this machine once a day, the lather formula clogs up the mechanism and eventually it stops working. There are two very easy ways to keep this from happening. First, use the recommended "recipe" to mix your lather solution using Campbell's Shaving Creme as usual but DOUBLE the amount of Campbell's Shaving Machine Cleaner to the lather solution. If your hot lather machine begins to clog up anyway, pour the solution out of the machine and replace with hot water. Place the hot lather machine so that the spout is over the sink and hold down the dispenser button. The hot water will clear out the mechanism. Refill with hot lather and use it again! I managed to keep one working for me like this for years. The only reason that I needed to replace it was due to my clumsiness - I dropped it on the tile floor! Otherwise I'd still be using it!
on December 21, 2009
Our Barber Shop had three old metal lather machines but decided to upgrade... what a mistake. We bought three new Lather Kings. We've tried everything to keep these things running in our Barber Shop. Distilled water, tap water, cleaner, no cleaner... nothing seems to be any better than the other. We have finally found one thing that has been working the last few weeks, we use a full capfull of recommended soap, and very hot water. We need to refill 2x a day, but so far so good. Also, All three of these new machines have cracked plastic (top and sides) after the first year of use. We are not impressed with this machine.
66 comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 11, 2009
I bought this machine from Bowman Beauty Supply and it broke only after using it a few years. I had problems with the shaving cream flowing out smoothly...it always seemed like it was clogged even when I used the cleaner. I followed all the recommendations of cleaning and maintaining it. I tried to get Bowman to resolve the problem but they wouldn't. Next I called the Morris and Flamingo company, they are the suppliers for Bowman Beauty Supply. The staff were rude, offered no help and informed me that if I wanted to have it repaired it would cost me around $100.00. Don't spend your hard earned dollars on this piece of junk! It's easily breakable because of the way it's constructed. The suppliers that sell it won't even back it up because they've had so many complaints on it! Read the reviews on the internet! Lots of complaints! Poor customer service from both Bowman Beauty Supply and Morris and Flamingo...both blame each other and have no concern for the consumer!
on November 30, 2009
It's designed more for barbershops than for home use. It needs a special liquid soap along with distilled water. The soap tends to settle at the bottom and has to be mixed up or else it clogs up the works.
It's great for barbershops or anyplace where you're going to use it all day long (I have 6 in my barbershop--can't do my job without them). For anyone else who wants a hot lather once a day, I'd recommend mixing up lather with a brush and shaving soap (Arko is good) in a scuttle.
on November 14, 2013
I have been using lather machines in my barber shops for 34 years. The old metal ones from years ago were great and lasted for many years with no problems. When they finally died, had to go with this style. They were never as good as the old metal ones, but years ago these plastic models were still pretty good, and you could expect to get years out of one. Boy are those days over! I finally have had to replace several machines and the new ones are not worth a flip. They are constantly giving me problems. Everything about them is cheap and doesn't hold up over time.
The problem is they are the only game in town. I don't believe any other company makes one. So what do you do?
They are also very expensive for the short life span they have. (around $ 200.00) About two years ago I found some caps that hook onto the top of a can of lather and dispense hot lather. (Made by conair for home use) They were great! And only cost $10.00. I ordered about 5. Unfortunatly they only last about six months before they quit, but for the $10.00 price it's still worth it. But now that I want to order more they are no longer available! I did see one on the internet and they were trying to charge around $200.00! So I'm without an answer. Mug & brush?
on October 20, 2011
Our BarberShop have been using two of these campbell machines. One of them did great for the first six months. One of them didn't do well since it arrived. Here are the problems we experienced:

-Foam came out too hot. Add a heating control knob would be nice.
-Foam came out liquid, sometimes double soap concentration will help, sometimes adding more cleaner solution will help.
-Morris Flamingo did not replace the bad part that cause the problem but temporary fix it.

Seems like this company does not upgrade their products. It seems like they are trying too hard fixing old products. Where is the quality team? Do they have one?
on April 15, 2014
I purchased this because of my barber used one. It's a tank and works well even if I only shave about 2 times a week (just lazy). However, I picked it up because of a trip to India where the water heater broke where I was staying and I had to shave with cold water. I didn't like it and this takes comfort of shaving one step further.
on December 9, 2013
I've been a barber for 44 years and Morris Flamingo will never sell me another one of these poorly constructed machines. The older ones were made to last. I've had nothing but problems with my last 3 machines. even rebuilt one - less than a year old - using their parts and it still leaks. There are now 2 competitors - one is called"Chromatique" and the other is the one I recently bought - the "Scalpmaster Lather Time" brand machine from Appleton Barber Supply. Works great so far. Good-bye "LatherKing"!
on September 27, 2013
I am a professional barber and this machine is GREAT!! It's designed for barber shops that use it all day long. I use the standard mix of soap and regular water and it gives nice hot lather whenever I need it. The lather is thick enough to be easy to work with - but you don't want it too thick! It's perfect for my shop. My clients love it! If you want hot lather at home, use a shaving mug and hot water. If you own a shop - this is a MUST HAVE!!!
on January 27, 2015
after 6 months it started to leak... my old one lasted 20 years!
will post new review if the company does something positive about it

Ok, I contacted the seller, via email, Maggie was super nice, understood the problem. She also sent me another machine with the sticker to send back the defective one. Everything was done professionally and efficiently. I now have a device that works and I am happy with the service. If I was to need something from Morris Flamingo again, I would not hesitate.
having a device that works is important, having service when there is a problem, you see then what the company is made of.
Would recommend dealing with them