Moshi ClearGuard MB for Pro 13",15",17" White MacBook (2009) MB air 13" US Layout (99MO021901)
Size Name: ClearGuard MBChange
Price:$24.95 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 6, 2009
Pros-
-VERY thin, I hardly notice that it's installed. Unlike those silicone covers.
-Keyboard lights up clearly, doesn't impede the light at all.
-Takes 2 minutes to get used to. It definitely doesn't feel like a bare keyboard but it doesn't feel like it's a covered keyboard either.

Cons-
-Kinda pricey for a very thin piece of industrial plastic. The price might be high due to the fact that its molded SPECIFICALLY for macbook keyboards. Because it's an EXACT fit.
-DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT fold or crush this cover. keep the original box if you need to store it away. Unlike silicon this product WILL WRINKLE. I decided to clean mine because it does feel sticky after long term use. I cleaned it with soap and water and i decided to WRING it out. WHAT A BIG MISTAKE. the product had wrinkles that would not disappear. I was too cheap to buy a new one so i have to live with annoying wrinkles.

Other than that..this is hands down the best keyboard cover for macs out there and not a lot of people know about it.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Size Name: ClearGuard MBVerified Purchase
I got one to try after three or so months of using a standard silicone cover that included the palm guard, so this is a direct pro/con of the two different ones.

First, this one is much easier to type on. Not that it was difficult to type on the other, you just had to be a little more deliberate. Really the only trouble I had typing consistently was my password, which is 15 characters, and I can type it instantly on a normal keyboard, but moving that fast on the silicone sometimes didn't quite let the characters register right. The other downside to the full silicone one was that it didn't fit very well - the silicone hung over the sides and front, so it was easy to catch while moving my hands around, or my sleeves would lift the edge enough to make it start rolling up under me. And since I do touch type, sometimes the little bit of stick of the palms on the palmguard part of the silicone would keep the hand from moving quite where I wanted it to be. I adapted to it within a few days, and for the last three plus months I've used it, but now having used this moshi one, I wish I had switched sooner.

This one, being thinner, is obviously going to feel better than the thicker silicone one, but I wasn't quite ready for how unobtrusive this would feel now. It's almost completely unnoticable.

The lights shine through it well, much better than the thicker silicone one. I pulled half of that one off the other night and was shocked at how they keyboard looked lit up without it. I had forgotten how nice the keyboard can look.

These keyboard covers are a necessity for me since I use the notebook so much - my keyboards never last more than a week without becoming ugly from some of the keys becoming so smooth. Granted, these won't obviate that completely, but they will slow it down, and after 3 months, my keyboard is not shiny at all, where normally i can't get 10 days with the keys no longer looking this well.

Now that I don't have the thicker silicone overhanging the sides, the lid closes better as well, even with my shaggymac on top of the keys to keep the screen from getting marked up.

I am very happy with this product. I've seen people talk about the fit being "perfect" and mine certainly is not, but the only keys that didn't get covered almost spot on were all the function keys across the top. I'm kind of waiting to see if things fit themselves over use, if it conforms a little better where it didn't fit out of the box, but it's off only enough to keep the cover from sitting flat across the very top, so it doesn't interfere with my typing at all.

Would definitely get this again, and will replace it whenever it needs to be replaced...

Edit: In July, finally am replacing this. Mine got some discoloration on a few of the keys where heat builds up, and the rest of it was getting pretty worn (I use my macbook for work and personal so i'm on it most of the day). I've gone through three in a year, and Moshi support just shrugs, actually asked if my Retina MBPro had red keys and maybe it was just color coming from the keys themselves... Disappointing lack of support knocked a star off and the discoloration knocked another off, so it went from 5 stars to 3 for me. If they weren't two to three times as expensive as the competitors I wouldn't mind getting two or three a year, but not at this price.
review image
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 4, 2009
Size Name: ClearGuard MBVerified Purchase
I bought this for my 2.0GHz Unibody Mac. I have been using it for a week now. My thoughts:

> It is NOT a perfect fit. But close enough. Does not fit perfectly near the function keys. But where you'd hit the keys frequently - i.e the letters and the space bar, it fits well.

> Takes a while to get used to because if you push your finger over a key, chances are the CG will flip momentarily.

> Does not stick to the aluminum surface. Which is good and bad. Good because it doesn't leave any sticky residue and can be cleaned. Bad because it flips like mentioned earlier. Because it is so easy to flip, I am not sure how protective it can be against liquid spills.

> Have not noticed any heat issues so far.

> Muffles sound when you type, which is a good side effect.

> Is very clear. The silicone feels high quality. But I think it is over priced.

And yea, it does protect your key board from dust.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 16, 2010
Size Name: ClearGuard MBVerified Purchase
EDIT: I can confirm that this keyboard gets cloudy after a few months of use. It's not bad, the edges just get a little cloudy and they can't be washed off even with fairly regular cleaning (around once a month with just water). It doesn't hinder functionality at all, it still fits great after over a year of use, no stretching or anything. The feel is exactly the same, and you can't even tell it's cloudy with the backlight on, only when it's off. Not enough to change my review, but if looks matter to you, expect to pay for a replacement in around 3-4 months.

When looking for a keyboard cover for my Mac, I originally found the cheapest one that I could find and I bought one for $5. Unfortunately, I found that the back of the silicone on the keyboard cover stuck to the keys and after 3 weeks or so, it actually left a mark on my spacebar where none was there before. I decided it was time to swap it out, and I found this keyboard cover and decided to pull the trigger, even though it cost 3 times as much as the other cover. The price difference shows; this cover fights tighter, is much clearer (essentially completely transparent, minus the little inherent glare of plastic). It is much thinner than the silicone keyboard cover and I am much happier with it.

Other reviewers had complaints about the keyboard cover sliding away, however I have not had this issue. I put the cover on and closed the MacBook and then shook it around vigorously but the keyboard cover didn't slide out. There is, however, some very slight movement of the cover when you're typing. It's not really an issue, and I won't dock the product for it. Be wary: there are some reports that this cover will get a slightly cloudy look after a few months, with varying degrees of success in cleaning the cloudy look off of it. I'm fully willing to have a keyboard cover that doesn't look great, as long as it doesn't leave marks on my keys like the other one does.

Another complaint I've seen about this product (and any other keyboard cover) is that it traps heat inside your MacBook and it muffles sound. As to the sound, I guess it would theoretically dampen the sound output, but I haven't noticed anything in anecdotal use. However, I can attest to the claims that keyboard covers trap heat, potentially damaging your MacBook, and that is false. I have smc fancontrol, which allows me to monitor the speed that my MacBook's fan is running at and I can monitor the temperature of the CPU (the hottest part of any computer). My idling temperature and speed without AND with the cover is the exact same, with temperatures ranging from 100-110F and fan speed of 2000rpm. When using CPU intensive tasks like gaming, (I ran Dragon Age: Origins at highest settings), the CPU temperature was 180-190F and fan speeds were running at 4000-4500rpm, which is also the exact same ranges I got when I ran the game without any keyboard cover on. So while the keyboard may be designed to vent heat more efficiently, using a keyboard cover will not noticeably trap heat in your macbook. The keyboard area might get hot, but the only parts that can be damaged by heat are the internal components, and those run at the same temperature with and without the keyboard cover on. Even if the keyboard cover does reduce ventilation, your computer is smart enough to compensate by running the fan speeds higher. And don't worry about running down the fan's life, most PCs run at a constant 4000rpm (next time you're next to a PC laptop, stop and listen to see if you can hear the fans) anyways, and the MacBook only ramps up to 4000+rpm when needed.

Pros:
+ Very clear cover
+ Protects your keyboard from getting dust and crumbs into the holes (and potentially from liquid spills)
+ Fits very well
+ Does not slide out of the computer when computer is lifted up and shaken in all directions

Cons:
+ On the expensive side
+ Some slight movement when typing
+ Anecdotal reports that the keyboard cover will get cloudy on the outside after a few months

Bottom Line:
Highly recommended product, keeps your keyboard safe, and does not damage any internal parts of the computer. And you can probably avoid the cloudy problem if you take it off and wash it every once in a while.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Size Name: ClearGuard MBVerified Purchase
I ordered the clearguard for my MacBook Pro 17" after reading a lot of reviews, here and elsewhere. It arrived yesterday, and I'm wondering if my clearguard is faulty or if nobody else is bothered by what I see as a huge problem.

The clearguard slides. As I type, it shifts back and forth. I worked with it for an hour hoping things would get better or I'd get used to it, but it is only getting worse. After close examination, it's clear that the cover just sits on the keyboard and the indentations aren't deep enough to secure the fit.

The idea, of course, was to protect the keyboard and keep dust, etc, out. It seems it would do that very well, but at the same time it requires constant attention to make sure it stays where it should be on the keyboard. This is distracting, to say the least. I searched to see if I had missed some instruction about how to fix it in place, but so far without luck. I'm afraid I'm going to have to return it and see if any of the other keyboard protectors are more stable.

This may be the thinnest and clearest of the keyboard protectors, but it slows down my pace and distracts me constantly, which really, not acceptable.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 7, 2009
Size Name: ClearGuard MBVerified Purchase
Keyboard looks bare unless in direct sunlight. Doesn't impede typing at all after the initial 'stickiness' wears off. Looks like it could blow away in the slightest of breezes, but has stayed on my keyboard for over six months. Wash with soap and water, let air dry and you're good to go. I've recommended it to many people, those who bought it agree that it's a good investment. Keeps your keyboard from getting shiny and could be the saving grace in the event of a spill.
on August 27, 2009
Size Name: ClearGuard MBVerified Purchase
I am always weary about buying products so I always read reviews and with this product the reviews were mixed so I was skeptical. However, I really enjoy this cover. I would consider myself an average keyboard user and I really cannot notice a difference when the cover is on. In fact I would almost venture to say that the keyboard feels even more comfortable with the cover. It fits my MacBook Pro 13 inch perfectly!
on January 26, 2011
Size Name: ClearGuard MB 11 AirVerified Purchase
It changes the feel of the keyboard a little bit and makes it look a little less clean. The keys look frosted rather than dark black with it on so it's not completely clear. But you can see how useful it is when you take it off and find all of the dust and particles it prevented from getting on and into the keyboard- or when you're eating near your computer and you accidentally squirt out a huge glob of hot sauce that lands between your N-key and spacebar. It is also easy to take off and place back on.
on September 28, 2009
Size Name: ClearGuard MB
I bought this Moshi protector after returning another one I'd bought from the Apple store (that one was a generic silicon). I love this protector.

The good:
- Quiets the sound of typing, no more annoying clanks
- Fits almost perfectly
- Very clear, not milky like other "clear" ones

The bad:
- Expensive
- The fit is great on all the keys except the function keys (my friend has an older Mac model, and this cover fits exactly to hers. The function keys on the 13" pro are a bit smaller
on April 4, 2011
Size Name: ClearGuard MB
This key guard definitely arrives in a slick package and is quite thin, but make no mistake. It is flawed:

(I am using the Moshi on a 13" MacBookAir, not specified supported but recommended by Amazon)
It does not fit perfectly. The top right of the cover frequently peels up towards your hands if you type with any speed.
The keys do not feel any where NEAR as snappy as you are used to on the Air. They are much more sluggish- it kind of feels like a typewriter from 1985.
Again, if you type well this cover will shift about the keyboard.
It is way too expensive.

There are pluses.
The texture feels great (when not moving around during typing).
The packaging is great and it arrives in great shape; won't be folded or damaged en route.

If anyone has a suggestion for the best 13" Air keyboard cover, share the knowledge.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations