Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

on July 14, 2013
As a queer Latina, I eagerly awaited the release of this film. It did not disappoint. This female-directed feature is beautiful and had me in tears by the end. So many Hollywood films and television shows reduce Latin@s to stereotypes; this, on the other hand, did everything right. It felt true and was both sweet and sad, while never becoming sentimental. One note for people who don't speak Spanish, though, is that some of the dialogue is in Spanish, so you'll have to deal with subtitles. (The only reason that I mention this is that I know that some people don't like subtitles, though, personally, I don't think that's enough of a reason to miss this gem.) All in all, I cannot praise this enough.
on June 5, 2013
From the very beginning, this film held my attention. Every note was perfect, the writing, the story, the directing, the acting. An honest story told beautifully. The dialogue was well done, but it was almost unnecessary, so great is the director at evoking emotion through simple images. Few films with lesbian main characters reach this level. It's no wonder the director, Aurora Guerrero, was named one of the "25 New Faces of Independent Film." I'm looking forward to her next film.
on June 25, 2013
If you can't bear to watch another coming out or coming of age story, you might not want to watch this movie. But you will be missing a beautiful piece of naturalistic film-making. Both these girls go through a loss of innocence, an entirely realistic maturation process from girl into woman that no one is particularly happy about. Not the parents. Not even the young women. Nobody comes out, though. I'm not completely sure that the characters know who they are yet. They're in the process of becoming who they are, or who they're going to become. The filmmaker captures that brief period when sexual identity is awakening, but hasn't declared itself quite yet. It's a poignant time in a young girl's life, where every emotion is amplified, and the line between friendship and something more gets blurred. It's rare that we get to see that time from the point of view of the young women. Usually the story is told from the point of view of an adult -- either some adult in the girl's life, or the girl herself from the relative safety of a point of reference sometime in the future. Not this movie. We are in the moment with these young women. We're allowed a glimpse of what they're going through, what they feel. In that respect, this story has a tone and intensity that reminds me of "The Diary of Anne Frank" (the book, not the movie). The ending is intentionally ambiguous. It's not your typical Hollywood happy ending. How you perceive the ending, and what you think will happen next, after the closing credits, says more about you than the characters in the film. It's rare when a movie makes you think without preaching.
on July 5, 2013
This is one of those films that when it ends you feel you want more. We enter the world of two teenage girls growing up in LA. One comes from a strong intact family that wants to see their daughter succeed and the other is being raised by a struggling single mother. There are no "declaration of love" or "love scenes". The movie did not need it. The story felt more real and honest about how two people start to recognize the feelings of love for each other. But, being young one is not sure what to do about it. I highly recommend this movie.
on December 21, 2014
I gave this movie a 5 star, not because it is a "gay movie," but this movie took me back to my teenage years where I met my bff when I was in 7th grade, and some of the senerios that occuried in this movie, actually went on in our friendship. We both just couldmt get enough of each other. However, what I thought back then was innocent friendship love, turned out to actually be my first female attraction love. And now as adults, after a long seperation of 18 years from my bfff, we reunited through Facebook, and we talked for a while about our lives, she had missed me every day of her life(according to her husband he said that to me), and I had thought about her at least 5-6 time each year, but never looked for her for fear of rejection, but she found me, and i some how confided in her about my own life, and after a few weeks of catching up, she no longer wanted to have anything to do with me. Why? Because she recognized that our friendship was really a lesbian romance for all those years of junor high and high school years, she is afraid because she is now a "christain," and think being gay is a "sin," so to keep herself from "falling," she blocked me from her Facebook, phone, Whatapp, and her life, which really hurt me even to this day. As for this movie, the young girls are very confused about their desires, but deep down they really dont know that they will be their first girl crush, and they will always remember each other because of it!!
on November 3, 2014
This movie was alright, but it was kind of about nothing. Spanish culture in America, mostly. 2 girls who don't even go so far as A kiss. I def wouldn't've bought it if I knew how uneventful and long-winded it was. Good $ down the drain...
on July 6, 2013
The writing, directing, and acting on this film are stellar. It's hard to believe that this is the director's first feature film. Development of each character was captivating and the storylines flowed smoothly. Although the personalities of Mari and Mosquita were diverse, it was easy to identify with their individual plight. This is one of those movies that had me replaying scenes in my head (including the creative ending) long after the credits rolled. The behind-the-scenes clips in the DVD were informative and highlighted the cast and crew's synergy. Highly recommended for all teens and adults.
on July 10, 2013
EXCELLENT movie. one of its kind. a sweet tale that many lgbt youth can relate to, especially latino lgbt youth. beautifully directed. i highly recommend it.
on September 13, 2013
Not a stereotypical coming of age/coming out movie. It was very "real world". Would have liked to see the relationship blossom more, but you are given enough for your imagination to take it from there. :-)
on June 5, 2013
I'm not sure what I expected from the story line, but the ending was a bit out-of-step with the rest of the movie, I thought. Other than that, stellar acting performances from the two young leads...worth watching.