5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING RESULTS!
You can get picked up and carried away by the mosquitoes on my property. THEY GET BAD! But we have a 1/2 acre fish pond so I thought it was just going to be a fact of life. Ponds = blood suckers in the summer.

UNTIL we found this stuff.

Published on July 25, 2010 by Jeni Rein

3.0 out of 5 stars Fungus gnats
Did not work as I expected. Had a problems with small black fungus gnats which this product was suppose to control. May have decreased them a little but still have them
Published 23 months ago by Cricket

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING RESULTS!, July 25, 2010
This review is from: Mosquito Bits, 30-Ounce (Lawn & Patio)

UNTIL we found this stuff.

I sprinkled some in the pond and started noticing within a few days that mosquitoes couldnt pick up and carry off the dog anymore... after a week, they are almost gone. Sure theres the occasional one or two buzzing around sticking their tongues out at us as they fly by... but I can actually go out and enjoy my garden for a change without taking a bath in DEET first.

Very Very VERY pleased with this stuff and I will be buying more every season.

Now maybe my neighbors will talk to me and stop contemplating bulldozing my pond over when Im out of town! Ha!

To those that put a little around their yard and still find mosquitoes in their face, Im going to suggest that you are not finding the source of where they are coming from. This stuff isnt a "magic force field"...

06/01/2013 UPDATE: I still use Mosquito Bits every season and Im STILL VERY VERY pleased with this product. My garden has proudly been certified a National Wildlife Habitat and every life form that uses my pond THRIVES. I allow my dog to drink from the pond with no worries. He has never shown any effect whatsoever. The fish, frogs, tadpoles, raccoons, squirrels, bunnies make their home here and all are welcome... except for the mosquitos. ;0)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great when mosquito dunks are inconvenient, October 15, 2008
This review is from: Mosquito Bits, 30-Ounce (Lawn & Patio)
Swampy and perpetually muddy areas abound around us and this product worked very well to broadcast over the mud and still water when the dunks were too compacted to help. It rains frequently and when it does, these muddy areas get about an inch of water and are perfect for mosquitos breeding. I started early this past spring and was very pleased with the lower mosquito count this summer.

Update March 2012: Now is the time to put this stuff out! If you catch the first batch of larvae, then they won't get a chance to breed and you won't be battling as many later in the season. I put Mosquito Bits out in February 2011 and noticed a significant lack of mosquitos later on in the season when working in my garden and sitting in the yard. I just put it down again last week. - Check trees for hidden water holes and range far enough out to limit mosquitos coming your way. I read somewhere that they have about an acre and a half range. I ask my neighbors if I can put it down on their properties and they have always said an enthusiastic Yes (of course). Don't expect them to take care of the problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bacillus thuringensis or BT, August 2, 2006
Louisa Filomarino Cauvin (West Lake Hills, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mosquito Bits, 30-Ounce (Lawn & Patio)
This product does an excellent job killing the mosquito larvae that grow in standing water. You can put it into puddles that have nowhere to drain after rain. We have far fewer mosquitos on our property since we started using this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars KILL GNATS IN HOUSEPLANTS!, April 19, 2013
This review is from: Mosquito Bits, 30-Ounce (Lawn & Patio)
I've been battling gnats in my houseplants for a looooong time. I live in a very dry climate, did not overwater, and let the topsoil dry out between waterings to no avail. I also tried those awful sticky traps - useless. I put all my plants in one room that the dog could not access and used a toxic spray on the soil (Liquid Sevin) many many many times. The gnats could no longer fly far from the plant but they could still breed and the spray did nothing to kill the larvae. So I tried these Mosquito Dunks Bits. I sprinkled them liberally on the top of the soil then watered well to wet all the Bits. I then let the plants dry out as I always did and I have no more gnats in less than two weeks! I wasn't worried about the adult gnats because they die so quickly, but the Bits kill the larvae and break the cycle - if they can't hatch, they can't breed. I'm going to leave the bits in the soil and although these are supposedly safe for pets, I'll put a little more new soil on top to discourage the curious dog from noticing the bits. I've frozen the new soil for a week and then thawed it (without opening the bag) in the hopes that the new soil doesn't come with more gnats. I'm so happy I can have my plants all around the house now. I highly recommend these Bits.

5.0 out of 5 stars They seem to really work, July 6, 2011
Dave Pierre "Dave" (Mattapoisett, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mosquito Bits, 30-Ounce (Lawn & Patio)
I live in one of those towns that is in the local news every year for having illness-born mosquitoes.
We have standing water and small streams around our property, so we are a prime location for mosquitoes to breed.
With that said, these pellets really seem to work.
I have applied these bits generously, and there has been a very noticeable and dramatic drop in the number of mosquitoes around our house. I re-apply about every 6-8 weeks during the summer.
I recommend these.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works for me :), July 1, 2007
This review is from: Mosquito Bits, 30-Ounce (Lawn & Patio)
Worked great for me - I live in a rural area with a lot of woods around the house. Just spread it around - specially in those still standing water spots (even if they seem dried out, or just "moist"). I had results after about a week. Will buy this again ...!

Note: seeing all those so called "get rid of mosquitoes" products made me very skeptical about products like this. This one however did the trick for me!

4.0 out of 5 stars Organic Gardener Approved (So Far), May 21, 2012
UPDATE 12/26/12

Thank you all for your comments. I promised an update so here it is! Please read my prior review to get an understanding of how I worked with this product! Thank you!

Well my update is overdue! I think the best thing I can offer up pertaining to this product is DILIGENCE. I literally went crazy applying the Mosquito Dunk Bits and the Dunks themselves but I lost my mojo after a few applications. I started too late in the season and the larvae was already on it's way to thriving as nasty adults! If you read my review below, you'll get the idea of how many areas I "hit up" in my small yard and garden. I think the key - like so many others have recommended - is to start much earlier in the Season - I'm thinking early March, perhaps even late February, depending on how the Winter treats us. Re-apply every one to two weeks. It's A LOT of work, and it's somewhat costly. However, I can attest to seeing LESS Mosquitoes than previous years and I think the "Donut Dunks" in the gutters made a huge difference in that regard. Simply put, there are far too many places in our outdoor areas for Mosquitoes to breed and we can't control it entirely. SIGH. I've had one too many summers practically ruined from sickening bites. However, this Bacteria does work, and like I stated earlier, if you're diligent and focus on problem areas, you will see a lessening in the population although it's not going to be an all out solution. SIGH AGAIN. I'm not sure how I will approach the coming Spring (it's only the day after Christmas, lol), but I will surely keep you posted! Happy Holidays!

Original Review 5/21/2012: I have to admit I'm skeptical about this product being "safe" since I don't like to mess with nature and I have a wonderful dog who spends a lot of time in the garden (however, she seems to ignore this stuff). But being a professional Organic Gardener, I'm giving it a chance since it's considered "biological control" - a strain of bacteria that only kills Mosquito larvae - and I'd like to think that I've done my research and that it's relative to what Organic Gardeners practice. Fingers crossed.

I've placed it under hostas, in deeper garden beds, in some areas of soil that don't drain as quickly in the yard/garden, under evergreens (mosquitoes love to breed under wet, shady tree areas) in ivy, pachysandra, in tree holes, by the fence line, in my patio drain, and anywhere that gets mushy, muddy or "swampy."

2 weeks ago I laid down the 1st application. So far, so good. We've had some hot, humid days and yes, I've seen a few Mosquitoes (even suffered a few bites), so I got back out there in the rain for a heavier application on 5/21/12. Heavy rain gave me a great guideline as to where to apply it in a heavier fashion as I observed the puddles and wetter areas. Get your slicker and boots on, and pay attention to the spots in your yard and around your home where water pools and soil gets wet. Wear a light disposable face mask as the dust can sometimes be a problem. You'll be surprised at how many areas there are for skeeters to breed once you start getting the hang of it! Good luck to those with larger yards and garden spaces!

I will give an update as to how my heavier applications affects the mosquito population. I also bought the 20 pack of the "donuts" (same brand) and placed them in all of the gutters. I don't know about you, but I'm tired of getting literally sick every summer from Mosquito bites. My ankles have had it! And here, in Northern New Jersey, we had no Winter, which means no deep freeze. I saw Mosquitoes in January! This means war! Update to follow!

5.0 out of 5 stars mosquito control, August 20, 2010
This review is from: Mosquito Bits, 30-Ounce (Lawn & Patio)
Mosquito Bits and Mosquito dunks work great! Word of use for fish/turtle ponds. If you use either product I would advise putting it into a cutoff piece of stocking and floating it. Even though it states not harmful to fish etc. my turtles have tried to eat it and I didn't want that to happen so I pantyhosed it and it works great. You can even float the pantyhose under a floating fake lilly plant as not to see it, and just renew contents as you need to. Also remember to scatter it in any damp/wet type location bogs or just swales etc. Also, I have a end city storm drain on my property swale that always has Mosquitos coming from it, so I tied a Mosquito dunk to a long piece of twine and attached it to the grate so that it just floats on the surface of the water that sits stagnant at the bottom of the drain when there is no rain flushing the system. Remember larvae hatches quickly. Also just another note Muscovy ducks are awesome at eating their weight in mosquito larvae so be friendly to them "city dwellers".

5.0 out of 5 stars THE solution for fountains and ponds, February 26, 2011
This review is from: Mosquito Bits, 30-Ounce (Lawn & Patio)
We have a fountain in our front yard. But, it is often turned off due to wind, etc. It was a mosquito breeding ground - no doubt about it. This product was recommended to us by friends who have a fairly large decorative pond off their back deck. They actually gave me some to try before I bought. This works. AND it is safe for wildlife. The birds use our fountain for water and baths, no problem. Our friends have fish in their pond while using this - no problem. It kills the mosquitoes, not the other wildlife.

It doesn't take much to do the job - a teaspoon in our fountain every couple of weeks is more than enough. This size container will probably last us for years.

5.0 out of 5 stars West Nile Virus Exiled, Nature Preserved., June 23, 2013
This review is from: Mosquito Bits, 30-Ounce (Lawn & Patio)
We use this product on a Certified National Wildlife Federation Habitat which has a large pond that is a wild-life haven (Bald Eagles, Blue Herons, Wild Turkeys, Red Fox, White-tail Deer, Bull Frogs, Crayfish, Mollusks, Bass, Perch, etc.). We use "Summit 20-Pack Mosquito Dunks" on the pond and this product on standing puddles and other smaller bodies of water after large storms.

The combination is highly effective in suppressing mosquitoes but doesn't seem to effect any of the other wild-life. These products couldn't be simpler to use and seem to last about a month.

When conscientiously applied the net result is a radically reduced West Nile virus threat and peaceful time enjoying the great outdoors. -- Highly recommended!

If you found this review helpful, please vote for it so it is readily available to others.

4/28/14 ANSWER RE: DIRECTIONS:
--------------------------------------

The back of the package is covered in directions for different conditions. However, the following quote covers general circumstances:

"OUTDOOR USE AROUND THE HOUSEHOLD: Sprinkle one teaspoon per 25 square feet or one tablespoon per 75 square feet (1/2 lb. per 2178 square feet) over the surface of the standing water found around the home. mosquito bits should be spread uniformly. A seven to fourteen day interval between applications should be employed."

Mosquito Bits, 30-Ounce