• Mossy

Format: HardcoverChange
Price:$13.71 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

VINE VOICEon November 12, 2012
Format: Hardcover
First, with the name Jan Brett you know that you will not be disappointed with the illustrations. What she is able to put on the page is just phenomenal.

Second, the storyline is always tender with a lovely moral to be shared. One cannot go wrong with any of her books.

Mossy, a young Eastern Box turtle loves the damp coolness of Lilypad pond and spends so much time there that little pieces of moss begin to grow on her back. As the season changes, the moss and other seeds begin to grow and Mossy is able to look into the water and see the beautiful garden that is growing on her back.

One day, as she is looking into the water a pair of beautiful red eyes looks back at her. Scoot, a young male turtle, has never been as fascinated with another turtle as he is with Mossy.

Young love must have its challenges and when a botanist discovers Mossy, she is whisked away to be the center attraction at a local museum. The two young turtles long for each other and it takes the loving heart of a young child to see what Mossy is missing.

The illustrations are what will keep you coming back to this book. Around each of the pages is a border that a young child and reader can point to and discuss. Butterflies and mushroom and seashells, plus so much more to keep each entertain throughout several reading of this wonderful book.

I highly recommend both this and any book that has been written and illustrated by Jan Brett.
Format: Hardcover
First let me say that I have had a lifelong fascination with turtles - all kinds of turtles; turtles from around the world. Needless to say that when I find a children's book featuring a turtle I am absolutely delighted. This little book has so very much going for it from my point of view. These points are as follow in no special order...they are all important as far as I am concerned:

There is the art work. My goodness Jan Brett is one of the best. I am quite familiar with her work with "Gingerbread Friends," "The Three Snow Bears," and "The Mitten" being among my favorite. It was "The Mitten" that hooked me on her work. Her depictions of nature; flowers, plants, animals are absolutely stunning and eye catching.

There is the story. This may be a children's book but it teaches lessons is a very subtle way which gives the adult reader, as they read this one with a child, all kinds of openings for good discussion. There is the fact that animals really should not be taken from nature even though they may seem like ideal pets (Or museum displays in this case). Thousands of "critters" are lost each year simply because they look cute. Turtles are especially vulnerable. A turtle in its natural surroundings is much more appealing and much happier than one in a cage, not matter how nice the cage is.

There is the little sneaky history lesson here. This work gives the adult an opportunity to give the child a wonderful little mini lesson as to Edwardian times; their culture, clothing and life style.

There is the lesson dealing with compassion. The children most certainly showed this compassion and they acted upon it.

There is the fact that children simply like this work and enjoy having it read to them over and over again. And if they question as to whether or not turtles can have plants growing n their shells, assure them that this is quite possible and as a matter of fact it is quite common. I have been watching a very old snapping turtle in the creek behind our home for several years now and it is amazing what that old girl has growing from her shell...depending upon the season.

But getting back to the art work. Jan Brett is good at what she does. The illustrations in this work are of the quality that I would not mind one bit having one or more hanging from my wall.

Good book...give it a try. I suspect you and the children in your life will not be sorry.

Don Blankenship
The Ozarks
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 4, 2012
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
I bought this book for my four year old, as he is in love with all of Jan Brett's books. This is sure to become another favorite. Sweet story, beautiful, intricate illustrations - we read this over and over again.
on October 21, 2012
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
I am so happy. I love turtles. Jan Brett had never written a book about turtles that I had read.
The book is a great size to handle. The colors are so beautiful and the story is superb.
The value of the book is supreme. It arrived quickly and in perfect shape.
What a wonderful transaction.
Thank you so much.
A Jan Brett and Amazon fan.
on February 17, 2013
Format: Hardcover
Okay, so who knew turtles could be so cute? Jan Brett manages to somehow make these over-the-top adorable turtles express emotion through their facial expressions, a feat which I'm sure was not easy, yet she pulls it off seamlessly!

I have read "Mossy" countless times since my children and I found this gem of a book at the library. We have our own copy now, which we read at least a few times a week, and my three-year-old and five-year-old daughters can't get enough of it. Even my nine-year-old son lingers when we sit down to read this book out loud. They soak up all the beautiful drawings and sneak-peeks that Jan includes on the edges of so many of her stories.

Sweet, adorable story with just enough drama and a happy ending.

My three-year-old sometimes sleeps with this book. And every turtle we see in another book, at the pet store, etc. is now either christened "Mossy" or "Scoot".

Jan Brett is a fantastic author and artist, and our family appreciates her books and creativity so much!

FYI, if you go to janbrett.com and type "Mossy" in the search field, there are some cute printables she's made, including one where your child can cut out flowers and moss and decorate Mossy's shell with.
on January 7, 2013
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
Jan Brett does such a wonderful job of illustrating her books. I love the fine details of each drawing. There is so MUCH to take in on each and every page. The drawings at the side borders are a recap and foretelling. The pictures at the top, of the other sights that could be found in the museum, were spectacular as well.

This story did not grab me as much as some of her other stories, but the drawings were great, and my kindergarten granddaughter loved it.

As a companion book, I chose a National Geographic book about sea turtles.
on February 12, 2013
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
Brett's illustrations are always beautiful and we appreciated the message about not turning wild animals into pets - as the story demonstrates, wild creatures prefer the beautiful, spacious outdoors to any cage we can build them. The story was a little predictable for adults, but it's an important message for young people to learn.
on December 4, 2012
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
The overall story is cute, playful, and fun. The real greatness of this book lies in the gorgeous illustrations! Set against the beauty and sophistication of the Edwardian era, the nature inspired and woodsy artwork of this book take center stage; resulting in a unique and glorious experience for the eyes!!! Love it!!!
on December 19, 2012
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
Cute story about a little girl who wants to become a scientist who investigates her surroundings as well as a turtle who misses a friend.
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
My little granddaughters loved the story and understood the love between two turtles in a world where problems can be overcome with the help of the adults in their lives. After five readings, my 4 and 6 year olds were ready to go outside and construct their own fairy houses.