4.0 out of 5 stars 8.5/10 - Great
Published 23 months ago by J. Richardson

3.0 out of 5 stars I love PE but........
Although their beats are still hard their lyrics have degraded considerably. I think at this point they're putting out new music for the hell of it. The passion seems to be gone and the lyrics seem redundant.
Published 21 months ago by L. J. Furman

4.0 out of 5 stars 8.5/10 - Great, November 23, 2012
This review is from: Most Of My Heroes Still Don't Appear On No Stamp (Audio CD)
The mighty Public Enemy is back with their... eleventh studio album? I honestly lost count. It's been five years since their last album, and over 25 years since their debut. That's what makes this album all the more surprising. After 25 years of making music Public Enemy hasn't deviated from their original formula. They never faltered or succumbed to recent trends, and that's what makes this group so amazing.

If you've ever heard a PE album then you know what to expect here. From the start of the album you're blessed with a sound that we've all grown to know and love. With that said, it still sounds fresh. It doesn't sound recycled or outdated, it sounds like a modern day Public Enemy.

This eleven song album runs at around around 48 minutes and you have Chuck D talking about the usual; politics, race, and music. Overall it's just really refreshing to hear an album like this. The production is excellent and honestly it's what had me coming back for more. That's not to take away from Chuck D's lyrics, but they aren't the strongest we've heard from him.

There's also a couple of guest appearances on here. You've got Brother Ali, Z-Trip, Bumpy Knuckles, Large Professor, Cormega, and DMC. Each one bringing a verse worthy of being on a PE record.

Standout Songs: "Get Up Stand Up (Feat. Brother Ali)" & "Catch The Thrown (Feat. Large Professor & Cormega)"

Overall Score: 8.5/10 - As I said before it's just really refreshing to hear an album like this. Especially in a time where a lot of the OG's are trying so hard to fit in with what's popular right now. I can't wait to see what they bring on the other new album coming out later this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Believe This Hype, January 2, 2014
Let me preface this by saying that I'm not a fan from way back. I was familiar with PE and had heard some songs, but nothing really stuck with me until I saw Chuck on Jimmy Fallon performing Fight the Power to promote Copyright Criminals. Not sure why that grabbed me, but it did and I'm hooked.

Let's get it out of the way: Public Enemy are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for a good reason. 25 years, platinum and gold records, and no signs of slowing down. If you want to judge an album based on the group, you can stop reading right there: Public Enemy is worth buying, period. And if you're a hard-core fan from way back, you don't need me to say anything to you; you've got a better-informed opinion that I have. But if you're like me and you're getting to know PE, I'll break it down.

This is not a reunion tour or a bit of nostalgia by a group only sticking around because they have no other way to live. This isn't a best-of collection. This is the eleventh studio album by a group still innovating and yet staying true to their roots. It's just as charged as earlier works. Age has brought wisdom, but not a softening of the anger against oppression and injustice. While much of the album (as with all Public Enemy works) deals with the problems of race, class, gender, sexuality, and money are addressed as well. Some people have criticized the lyrics as being played out; I couldn't disagree more. Expressing a consistent theme is not the same as having nothing original to say.

Overall, the album sounds great, to my untrained ears; it may be that it's a victim of the scourge of compression that audiophiles have been decrying for the past decade as producers squash dynamic ranges and tailor sound to digital distribution. I can't speak to that because I rarely hear that sort of thing and I think I may actually prefer a more compressed sound. But the production is strong, no technical issues or places where the sound became muddy or unclear.
\
Lyrically, as I said, Chuck is still on top of his game. Vocally, he hasn't slowed down or softened up, though he has a bassy growl that he didn't in early albums which is used to great effect in Get Up Stand Up among others. Flav's vocals are a standout here as well; he has tempered some of the elements of his performance that occasionally grate on me, and while I like that, fans of his more off-the-wall performances may find this album lacking there. When the two are put together, as in Catch the Thrown, it's classic PE. The beats are prime DJ Lord, and while I miss some of the raw energy of Terminator X and the early stuff, that's not to say that this is worse. There is a depth of sound throughout; some songs are quite sparse, while some beats are layered masterpieces. And of particular note to me: this album is truly an album, with a flow from track to track, beginning to end, that reminds me of the heyday of the album, before mp3 players made every song a single. Lord's beats tie everything together along with repeated lyrical themes.

Track by track (according to Amazon's listing and skipping the interstitials):

#1 - Run Till It's Dark - If you've heard a few other PE albums you might be expecting this to be one of their entirely DJ openers, or at least Chuck talking rather than rapping, but Run Till It's Dark sets the tone; I dare you not to feel the impulse when Chuck growls, "Run till it's dark!" Backed up by a beat which makes you want to run, the lyrics almost set up a chant, with a repetition of "Survey says:" and "Run till it's dark." This track isn't likely to be anyone's number 1 pick, but I think that's a shame; it's a great opener, which should come as no surprise from PE.

#2 - Get Up Stand Up - If you haven't already heard this song, both Chuck and Brother Ali are incredible. The syncopation is really on display; none of that "moon/june" crap idiots think all rap is. And it's a call to action; you want to stand up. I'm assuming (without basis) that the title is in reference to Bob Marley; if so, it's a fitting update. The beat is sharp, clashing and agressive, fitting the tone. There's a reason this track gets attention.

#3 - Most of My Heroes Still Don't Appear On No Stamp - I swear, I'm not just saying that every track is amazing because I give out praise lightly. The title track, with Chuck backed by the sounds of brass fanfare, tells you exactly why Public Enemy is a giant. If there's any track on this album which is nostalgic, it might be this one, but it's impossible to fault a track that's this foot-stomping (I don't tap toes). Public Enemy announces itself, and it's here to kick ass and take names. They didn't do this one at the Hall of Fame induction, but it's that kind of song.

#4 - I Shall Not Be Moved - You haven't seen the video? Go watch the video. Tell me you don't want to own this album for just that track. That it takes its name from one of my favorite protest songs of all time doesn't hurt. But listen to that beat. DJ Lord keeps them on the track with a beat that's almost another MC. It's no coincidence that G-Wiz produced both this and Get Up Stand Up; they both bark for attention and pull you along. Did you see the dancer in the video? When I hear this track, I know I wish I could move like that; it seems like the only suitable response.

There is one nitpicky thing I could say here: this track has been edited for broadcast (it's not particularly swear-heavy, but there are a few) as have a few other tracks, but other tracks have not, and there's no Explicit version of the album out there to the best of my knowledge. It's just a little jarring; I know what the words are and I don't really care, but it does catch the ear. But this isn't the first PE album where that was the case; on the explicit versions of several of their previous albums there are songs which are censored with no rhyme or reason.

#5 - Get It In - Chuck and Bumpy Knuckles start strong, but the lyrical meat isn't there in Flav's ending. Still, saying this track isn't quite as good as some others is like saying that this bar of gold is slightly less shiny than others. The DJ work is excellent here, with some very nice scratches. Actually, that's worthy of comment on the whole: the hip-hop scene seems to have moved away from scratching to more produced loops, and while there is some excellent work being done with them, I do miss the old school turntable DJ. The scratching on this album isn't just scratch as percussion; there is plenty of more complex stuff being done by Lord, and while I'm not an expert, it really stands out when compared to other DJs.

#6 - Hoover Music - I could discuss the corporate nature of music and how it's stifling real art, but while that's the subject of this track and the lyrics are insightful as always, it's not a good way to review a song. Here's another track where Chuck and Flav are playing off each other like they've been doing this all their lives... which they have, so I guess it's not surprising. Those unfamiliar with hip-hop might wonder why there are always 17 guys on stage with microphones, occasionally repeating the lead MC or adding in "Yeah." Chuck D and Flavor Flav are a major factor there; Flav is one of the all-time great hype men, and when they get a groove going, it gets going. When they both rap at the same time, it adds emphasis, punch, and offers a counterpoint to the solo MC work. That Chuck is bass and Flav is tenor doesn't hurt either. They can syncopate or harmonize without melody. Take the time to really listen when they get going.

This actually isn't one of my favorite tracks on the album, and yet I'm talking about it more than songs I like more. It's just a great example of the rough-edged sound that PE brings, but listen to the beat and you can still hear all the parts. It's fuzzy but not muddy. And the rapping is percussive too. You can't separate out any one element; it's all PE.

#7 - Catch the Thrown - Again, I could talk at length about the damage professional sports have done to culture (I'm not against them per se, but as the only means of success for many young men, it's a manufacturer of misery for many) but that's not why we're here; get the message from the music any way you want. This track is another example of the amazing dynamic between Chuck and Flav. Lyrically it relies on end-of-line rhymes that are more like old-school hip-hop than the more modern break-beat rap, so in a certain way it's a traditional song. It's also slower (not dirgelike, but slower), which echoes early PE. It has a certain chant-like quality, with recurring motifs "What you... is what you..."

#8 - RLTK - Another slower number, socially conscious, which again is more old-school, befitting its guest, DMC. It's interesting that while the sound looks back to their roots, Chuck and DMC take it and use it to speak to the future. I praise the message, and it's nice to get a little old school, but it's also not one of my favorite tracks. That's a matter of taste, on RLTK YMMV.

#9 - Truth Decay - And this track is why PE is still here and other acts aren't. It's a synthesis of the previous two tracks, darker, slightly faster, with some of the same rhyme patterns and callbacks to the previous lyrics, but with a twist the shows just how much PE still has to give. The rapping is clever without being technical; it has a natural flow and internal rhymes which syncopate and reinvent the form of the previous two more traditional tracks. DJ Lord is excellent here as well, layering beats and tracks in a way which echoes classic tracks like Welcome to the Terrordome. Short and sweet.

#10 - Fass Food - This is the most uneven song on the album, the one which feels like it least belongs, and while it's not solely because of, it is in part due to Flavor Flav. I'm confused; is this song railing against what our culture of consumption is doing to us, both in a literal and more figurative sense, or is it an opportunity for Flav to plug his restaurants? It may take a few more listens before I can reconcile that question. I'm willing to give the track the benefit of the doubt; I may not be hearing it right. But it's my least favorite track.

#11 - WTF - At first, you might be tempted to dismiss this as gimmicky. Lord may have had a hand in the music, but it sounds like they're being backed by live instruments rather than a beat track. It's slower, the rhymes can at times be more than a little forced and are end-of-line. No syncopation here. The music is repetitive. And for crying out loud, calling a song WTF? Saying, "What the f..." like you're scared to say a bad word? This has to be the worst song on the album, right?

Wrong. I'm asking you to listen to all of it. If there's one thing you have to remember about Public Enemy, it's that unlike a lot of newer rap phenoms, the parts aren't interchangeable. Let all the parts play together. Listen to the track again. Are you starting to feel it?

The track is an amazing last number because it brings together all the threads and flow of the album and then punches you in the gut with them until you cry. Listen to it. That hiss as Chuck stifles the word, not because he's scared to say a bad word, but because he has to hold it in and he can't. Remember that WTF used to stand for something other than mild incredulity. When people said those words, it used to be a big deal. And it still can be. This song is the cry of the oppressed, and it's not about race, it's about justice. It invites us all to feel that deep-seated inability to understand how, in a world so beautiful, things can be so terrible. And we stifle it because we have to do so. We can't say that last word not because it's titillatingly naughty, but because we can't finish the thought. We're caught in the middle. And every time, "What the f...." is slammed into you, you can feel something that maybe you've never felt before, or maybe you never understood that other people might feel.

And then it's too much and the word is said and we're living in a world where Trayvon Martin can be murdered without justice being served and where people starve while corporate fat-cats spend millions on food they don't eat and where the vast majority of people are poor, poorer than anyone should be in this day and age of plenty, and where governments ignore the people and the earth is slowly dying and the whole thing just stinks, reeks of unfairness. And we scream "What the f*** [I'll censor myself because Amazon might not look kindly on my use of the word]" in unison. We stand up and ask what's going on like Marvin Gaye.

But the thing is, there's no resolution. Asking, "What the f***?!" is not a solution. And Public Enemy leave us hanging there, standing, angry, hurt, disillusioned, mad as hell and unable to take it any more.

Now go listen to The Evil Empire of Everything. It's not a sequel by any stretch, but it certainly echos the state in which we're left at the end of Most of My Heroes...

That's powerful stuff. At least, I think so. It's a hard song to listen to, and it gets harder every time I listen. But it's like taking a purgative if you swallow poison. It's hard, but you have to take your medicine. Maybe some of you are truly the oppressed. But I'd wager that most people reading this have done their fair share of oppressing. Well, you know how you feel now? That's how you're making people feel when you oppress them, treat them unfairly, cut them off.

That's all I have to say about WTF. I realize that I talked a lot about the message without telling you how it sounds, but you can listen to it all sorts of places. You should buy this album because it starts and ends with a series of punches; Run Till It's Dark is lightning jabs, precise and devastating, while WTF is a series of hard, brutal slugs in your vulnerable spots. Why is that a good thing? How many albums have you bought recently where you could honestly say they affected you other than maybe tapping your toes a little, or singing along? If you like PE, this album is destined to blow all those other albums away.

Buy it. There's no need to be scared. This is good music; it can take a bit of getting used to if you've been listening to corporate crap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chuck still dont appear on no stamp,but he should, January 22, 2013
This album is so much better than the sister, "Evil Empire". Like the fist on the CD Chuck D delivers another hard punch of lyrics. The Evil album has some really bad songs, mostly Flavor Flavs', where as "Stamps" is solid from one track to another. Buy this one!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chuck And Flavor Still Public Enemy,But Not Criminals, November 12, 2012
Sometimes there are reminders in my personal life of what a maddening,frightening journey the first decade of the new millennium turned out to be. Probably started out on the wrong foot when the more grandiose event of the millennium received more publicity than the fact a century was turning over too. PE's importance,not just in hip-hop but the music world at large,couldn't have been more evident. On the other hand the political and social climate on which their MO's was to comment on simply didn't want to hear protest,despite it being a constitutional right. So PE's released output became more and more spotty. And music in general,hip-hop most evidently,began to reflect mostly uncertainty and confusion. So at a time where America is on the cusp of much more hopeful days ahead PE have decided to make a major comeback-starting with this album.

Looping throughout this album are conversations illustrating the albums theme,extending on Chuck's famous line from the PE classic "Fight The Power",for which this album received it's title. Naming such figures as Rose Parks,Malcolm X and Betty Shabazz the album extends from there onto a potent,live and fully funk infused musical setting across "Get Up Stand Up" recorded with Brother Ali,"I Shall Not Be Moved","Get It In" and especially on the captivating "Catch The Thrown" and "Truth Decay",my personal favorites here. On these numbers Chuck D makes it clear for anyone not in the know how ethnic,sexual and economic prejudice are still intertwined into American society as much as they were when PE made their first album. Only the lives of Americans tends to be too fast to notice. This is reflect in "Fassfood" and the epic closer "WTF?",as Chuck scratches his head basically at the state of affairs still too present around him.

Two other telling numbers are "Hoovermusic",equating how a great depression exists in America as it did in the 1930's,only this time focused more on specific groups of people rather than a class of them. "RLTK" is a collaboration with DMC,putting two hip-hop titans from different halves of the 80's together and showing they are on the same page thematically. The more I hear from him,the more I realize how much of a clue Chuck D has as a very thoughtful and studied poet not just on the American social climate he creates in,but the music that inspires him to create in the first place. Employing The Banned-consisting of Khari Wynn on guitar,Davy DMX on bass and drummer T-Bone Motta he relies very much on this live funk element,present in PE's music from the very beginning,to make his point along with the DJ spinning the turntable. I see this as representing PE's allegiance to hip-hop's strong connection with funk. That goes for the subject matter every bit as much as the music as well. And both of those things I should not are completely complimentary in this case.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE HARDEST CD, June 23, 2014
WERE SHOULD I BEING LETS SAY I AM A HUGE CHUCK D FAN AND PUBLIC ENEMY FAN THIS CD IS GRAMMY NODS TRUTH DECAY,HALL OF FAME RAP OF ALL TIME

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album!, June 20, 2014
Love the album. Same old Public Enemy I grew up on. :) Great album cover also and in the digipack

5.0 out of 5 stars A "must have" for PE fans, April 26, 2014
If you are a 'true' fan of Public Enemy then get this album. This is just as hot as their earlier albums with an updated sound and rhymes. In one of the songs Flavor Flav states "PE is back on the map!" And they truly are. If I had to say something negative it would have to be about the interludes - they are a little repetitive. Both within this album and lifted from previous albums. Still an awesome album.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you don't got it you gotta get it, October 3, 2013
Eric M. Mann (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Public Enemy is great musically and Chuck D's lyrics, rhymes, cut right to the heart, right to the chase, right to the bone, right to the struggle. Sometimes I hang on every word, sometimes I just love the sound, but we're all lucky to have them at a time when our country, run by "rich white people" as Reverend Wright explained it, "the capitalist class" as Marx explained it, "the imperialist system" as Lenin, Mao, and Amiri Baraka explained it, is falling apart and everyone needs to join a new group--Public Enemies.
Eric Mann

5.0 out of 5 stars Still challenging minds and pushing boundaries!!!, September 24, 2013
I don't know what else to say except that their latest offerings (in addition to "Evil Empire...") are phenomenal! I like the other album better, but "I Shall Not Be Moved" kills it. One complaint, if you will: was the album distributed solely with censored content? I mean, "What the ffffffff" is just a little weak. In addition, it's not the only censored track on my copies of the records, but if I wanted censoring then I wouldn't have gone with PE. There should be some language stating such on the item description page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Group, May 13, 2013
I purchased thies for my son. He loves the group. Had trouble finding it any where else. Reasonable (although a little pricier) than other places. The problem was, I could not find any or their newer releases except on here. Made my son happy, and that was the goal!

Most Of My Heroes Still Don't Appear On No Stamp
Most Of My Heroes Still Don't Appear On No Stamp by Public Enemy (Audio CD - 2012)