Most ridiculous plot hole?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 754 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 24, 2010 10:12:06 PM PST
Bookd says:
My personal favorite. Charlie, an experienced Chief of Police and good father, doesn't so much as question how his daughter's appearance has completely changed in a few weeks and who now has a 3 year old who looks like her. 'C'mon Emmett, let's go catch the game!' wtf. And Renee never wondered what her daughter was up to after the wedding?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2010 7:08:53 AM PST
sunray says:
Renee might not have even wondered because Bella was the caretaker in that relationship, but Charlie I don't know, it seems he had to know something strange was going on in his neighborhood?

Posted on Feb 25, 2010 8:38:00 AM PST
not to give smeyer too much credit or anything but i thought that scene implied that charlie KNEW something weird was going on but had resigned himself with the knowledge that a) there was nothing he could do about it and b) bella was safe and happy and resolute in not telling him anything so he just took an "i don't want to know. let's just watch the game and pretend everything is normal." stance b/c that was basically the only non-drama causing thing he could do.

Posted on Feb 25, 2010 8:41:26 AM PST
Bookd says:
I know...but would he have really done that (theoretically speaking)? I just can't buy it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2010 10:20:17 AM PST
well he's not a developed character, he's just a 1-dimensional paper cut-out standing in as a 'dad' so yeah, of course that's how he'd act.

how would MY dad act?

he'd just look at me and be like 'why did you get all this plastic surgery? you looked fine before.' he'd be really disappointed in me and sad. an then he'd be like 'so this guy had this kid he was hiding and now you guys are pretending it's his niece and you're gonna take care of it? you're only 18! what were you thinking?'

overall he'd be very disappointed in me and he'd just leave and probably not talk to me for a while. he wouldn't be all 'whatever let's watch football.'

Posted on Feb 25, 2010 12:07:13 PM PST
Bookd says:
I agree about book Charlie. I think movie Charlie is so much more a 'real' dad.

Posted on Feb 25, 2010 1:55:31 PM PST
jonesy says:
definitely one of the the many character assassinations that were in this book. i didn't recognize anyone that i met in the first book let alone poor ole charlie.

Posted on Feb 25, 2010 3:38:08 PM PST
Bookd says:
I just can't picture how that scene will go down in the movie...poor Billie Burke.

Posted on Feb 26, 2010 9:05:18 AM PST
jonesy says:
perhaps the actors will read the book and refuse to do the final films, most of their careers seem to be going strong right now.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2010 9:08:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2010 9:12:55 AM PST
Bookd says:
Sadly I think it's a go. Maybe they'll demand MAJOR changes to the script.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2010 10:37:36 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2010 10:38:23 AM PST
thank You!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2010 3:19:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2010 3:24:53 PM PST
Bookd says:
"He did notice.. They didnt elaborate because it was part of the dont ask dont tell thing you stupid jerk! Pay the hell attention!"

They didn't elaborate because the author needed to gloss over a plot point she couldn't possibly explain. Sorry AM, the book sucked-BAD. EPIC FAIL!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2010 5:03:16 PM PST
Obsidian says:
Don't ask, don't tell. LMAO When did the book become part of the Army?

It was a HUGE plot hole that made NO sense except to SM and her perfect red bow, everybody needs a shiny happy ending, writing world. *vomit*

It should really be, don't ask me why I even read BD past the first chapter and don't tell anyone I forced myself to read it to the boring, EPIC FAIL end.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2010 5:10:16 PM PST
i cant believe you called bookd a 'stupid jerk'???

that's really lame.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2010 5:46:24 PM PST
Bookd says:
Actually Cali, if it's coming from someone who liked Breaking Dawn, maybe I should take it as a compliment.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2010 7:08:05 PM PST
Frankie says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Feb 28, 2010 7:14:12 PM PST
Hart says:
"Dont Ask, Dont Tell" is my new favourite excuse for BDs failure... It has now over-ridden the "ITS FICTION!" comeback...

Why was edweird able to produce demonspawn? - Dont Ask, Dont Tell...
What was the purpose of J.Jenks? Dont Ask, Dont Tell...
How come the werewolves are now shapeshifters? Dont Ask, Dont Tell...

Perfect. Absolutely Perfect.

Posted on Feb 28, 2010 7:20:57 PM PST
Cory says:
I don't find bella's dad being inept and stupid and a waste of space to be a plot hole. A plot hole is more along the lines of the lack of a battle at the end of breaking dawn. She wrote the books promising the battle because of how she wrote the volturi. Then, they act (like all of the charcters) completely out of character, and the promised battle doesnt happen.

A plot hole is not that the author fails to do something that a reader expects, but that the author does something that leaves something out. that battle was a gaping hole she set up, got to, then left unfulfilled.

Posted on Feb 28, 2010 7:21:53 PM PST
Hart says:
And my favourite most ridiculous plot hole was that even if we agree that Sparklepires are able to have vampbabies - and that the 300year old DOCTOR didnt even know it was possible - how am i suppose to believe that super over-protective Edward isnt going to use protection? i mean, this is the guy that wont so much as open mouth KISS bella because he's all worried about his venom and he's willing to have unprotected sex and have that venom go you know where? nope nope nope...

Posted on Feb 28, 2010 8:01:30 PM PST
i want to know why edwards vampire venom sperm didnt like affect bella from the inside and turn her into a vampire then and there or at least turn her into some sort of demi-vampire who is able to carry a renesme-type of vampire baby.

did evolution really make it so that the only way for a vampire baby to be born is for the baby to destroy the mother and chew it's way out from the inside?? really?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2010 6:05:47 PM PST
Bookd says:
This is what got me Hart-if Carlisle was the character he'd been established as in the past three books, he would have had some clue this could be possible (Resefail).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2010 6:07:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2010 6:08:25 PM PST
Bookd says:
I disagree Cory, because I don't think he just didn't 'act' different' then expected, it was just completely glossed over and avoided because she didn't know what to do about it. It was a hole in the story for me because it should have had some kind of bearing on the story because like the battle it was important, but I guess Bella's parents were no longer useful plot devices. I mean her own mother didn't try to contact her after the wedding??

Posted on Mar 3, 2010 9:02:52 AM PST
jonesy says:
i don't know the details by heart of BD because i cannot bear to go back and reread it but i do want to know how there can be vampires in south america; i mean what was the point of placing the story in forks in the first place if vamps can go anywhere they want to regardless of weather conditions? i mean at least in the first book they made a big deal of how much work it was to go to phoenix for a short while. the south america angle really made no sense to me.

Posted on Mar 3, 2010 5:34:19 PM PST
Hart says:
Exactly Bookd - Carlisle should have known it was atleast possible and given his son the "If its not on, Its not on" speach like all good self respecting vampire doctor fathers... And i still say that even if the pregnancy wasnt the issue, im fairly sure bellannoyings insides should have been protected from the really bad dangerous venom we heard so much about!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 31 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  44
Total posts:  754
Initial post:  Feb 24, 2010
Latest post:  Nov 30, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Breaking Dawn Special Edition (The Twilight Saga)
Breaking Dawn Special Edition (The Twilight Saga) by Stephenie Meyer (Hardcover - August 4, 2009)
3.8 out of 5 stars   (6,744)