5.0 out of 5 stars Gourmet crockpot recipes - NOT an oxymoron!
I was in the typical - meat, can of soup - maybe some wine, veggies ..mode of crockpot cooking. The food usually came out 'ok', but not rave material.
Published on May 15, 2009 by S. Hudson

2.0 out of 5 stars Just Bland
Published on January 1, 2010 by N. Parker

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Gourmet crockpot recipes - NOT an oxymoron!, May 15, 2009
I was amazed at the variations offered in this book. It's just like cooking a gourmet meal, but p.s. you put it in the crockpot. And trust me - you won't use the recipes just for entertaining - they are too good not to use everyday.
The recipes were so inspiring, I even justified splurging on a new crockpot.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME, June 9, 2009
Jeff C (Grand Blanc, MI) - See all my reviews
My GF and I tried 2 other cookbooks with bland results. We happened upon this book and decided it was going to be our last attempt with a slow cooker if the results werent ok. The first thing we tried was the Family Style Winter Tomato Sauce. It was the best Marinara type sauce I have ever had! We loved it so much we made it a month later as well before trying something else.

Next we tried the Coconut Mango Chicken, and that too was unbelievable! Some friends didnt believe it wasnt carryout when they tried it.

Some have more prep work that others, but, none seem too difficult. This book is well worth the investment, especially used.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great cookbook!, May 14, 2009
This is a great cookbook. A friend used it for one of our book club dinners and I raced out to buy it afterwards. This past winter I left this open on my counter and cooked from it every week. Several friends took the plunge to buy a slow cooker after seeing this book and hear me describe the easy and delicious meals.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just Bland, January 1, 2010
N. Parker (Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
I checked this out from the library to try before buying since the author's other books have received very contrasting reviews. I had great hopes for it because it seemed to contain more than the usual slow cooker fare. I gave it a few tries, but every recipe I tried just turned out bland. To me, it's one of those books where the ingredient lists look great and therefore it should be a flavorful recipe. I was consistently disappointed each time. The last straw today was the Garlic and Lime Chicken Wings with Chipotle Mayonnaise. The wings came out not tasting like much at all other than being very cumin-scented (i.e. no garlic or lime flavor to speak of). The mayonnaise, which was billed as being "really tasty, so don't skip it" was also a bland mess. I don't normally take the time to write product reviews, but I was so disappointed with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A keeper, November 30, 2009
Simple, straight forward recipes with good, useful advise and tips. Every recipe I have made so far was right on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be a Mr. Mom and Entertain with the best of them!, November 26, 2012
This review is from: Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Entertaining (NYM Series) (Paperback)
Due to a major life event, I found myself having to change how I cook to accommodate feeding my two growing kids and working a full-time job from home. I needed to give up my gourmet tendencies to be more time conscious and to provide a large variety of child-friendly meals. I've used a Crock Pot for years, so I'm familiar with it's capabilities, but frankly I had zero party-type slow cooker recipes for entertaining at home or to take to someone's house. Having now prepared over a dozen slow cooker meals from this cookbook and from another she wrote for everyday slow cookering, I feel like the poster child for success. My friends, my kids and I have gobbled up everything I've prepared from these recipes!! After spending so many years slaving over frou-frou menus for hours, even days, I can't believe such good food is this easy and accessible. I can't recommend this cookbook enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, the series is great, September 7, 2009
this is a great series. i love it because they do not use "a can of soup" for the flavoring. and the recipes are not so bland that one is hardly motivated to cook at home and stay away from the fast food. i love these recipes because you can plan them out and leave them to cook. i have looked at literally a hundred "crock pot" books, and this series the the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good "Old Fashioned" cookbook., February 17, 2010
A good guide for slow cooking from scratch, with good honest basic ingredients. Just what I was looking for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun looking recipes, April 3, 2010
I've only made one recipe but it was very good. I couldn't find one recipe that uses a can of soup which is what most of the slow cooker recipes require. It has lots of possibilities. The one thing that is missing is photos. There is a small section in the center of the book with photos but I would like to see what each dish looks like!

5.0 out of 5 stars very good book, December 28, 2009
I'm French and it's hard to find slow cooker recipes books here. This one is great I love it! The recipes are easy to do and I can find everything is needing here in France.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Entertaining (NYM Series)
Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Entertaining (NYM Series) by Beth Hensperger (Paperback - September 2, 2007)
$19.95 $14.49