5.0 out of 5 stars Great rodent tracker!!!!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:30 Mins
After seeing evidence of a rat, and no luck catching it, I decided to try using this camera to capture it on video, if not in a nice, baited trap.

Published on April 27, 2012 by Mark's_reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Spy word should've been taken off from ad title
The camera works OK as a motion sensor camera, it's small enough to be hidden in day time, ah but the glowing Infra Red led lights beat the whole purpose of the hidden camera (not hidden anymore)
The manual it's in well explained English, simple and detailed with some graphics to help you understand better the functionality of the device,
also what the other guy...
Published on February 23, 2012 by Failed Spy Guy

3.0 out of 5 stars Spy word should've been taken off from ad title, February 23, 2012
This review is from: Motion-Activated Mini Spy Camera with Night Vision and 10-Day Battery Life and 1-Year Warranty by SpygearGadgets (Electronics)
also what the other guy said about the 5 seconds trigger video it's TRUE, the manual states 2-3 seconds (Lie) it's actually 5-6 seconds after the cam has been triggered to record something
plus the glowing led lights, let me put it this way.
You open the door,
Motion sensor detects you right away(in half second IR led lights turn on) that doesn't mean the cam is recording.
you have now 4 seconds to close the door and the camera would record just an empty room for the time you set the camera to record

The camera works
Video Quality is good
FPS are smooth
Audio/Mic is good and clear
Trigger time is 5-6 seconds

Customizable settings are just a few:
Time recording:30,60,180/s
Video Resolution:640*480, 320*240
Video Quality FPS:10,15,30FPS
Time/date stamp on video
Indicator Green light On/Off while recording
Description of the camera on video I guess (in case you have several around the house to see to which camera corresponds selected video)

What it misses in the settings or should've been added too:
On/Off IR led lights
Select # of IR led lights to be activated on triggered cam: 0,1,2,4,6 or the whole 8,
(seriously, the 8 IR led lights give great illumination to the night vision camera(more than enough I would say), but they show to the intruder the camera location and what it is at first sight)
and that beats the whole purpose of the SPY/HIDDEN camera,
so,
NO, this is not a night vision "SPY" "HIDDEN" cam,
maybe a daytime spy cam or just a motion sensor night vision camera,

Battery Life is stated to last about 10 days,
Haven't get thru that yet, I'll review that Later

5.0 out of 5 stars Great rodent tracker!!!!, April 27, 2012
Length:: 0:30 Mins

Upon arrival of the camera, I was initially disappointed to not see any option for adjusting the sensitivity of the IR detector, as I had seen on other cameras advertised (I was worried that the factory adjustments wouldn't be sensitive enough to detect something as small as a rat). Oh well, I thought, I'll give it a try and if it doesn't work I can always throw it into the vast pile of other useless electronic junk that I seem to be addicted to buying off of the internet.

Using the factory settings for video capture time (30sec), I mounted the camera on a tripod, in our kitchen, and aimed it in the vicinity of where we've been seeing evidence (droppings, puffballs of fiberglass insulation, etc). I turned the unit on at 11pm and went to bed not expecting much.

After waking up the next day, I went about my business, not being overly excited about the camera; still convinced that it couldn't possibly be sensitive enough to detect a rat. I finally got around to retrieving the camera and attaching it to my PC with the included video cable (BTW, my unit did not come with a memory card, and had to purchase a 4GB one from Best Buy for $13 + tax. Be sure to buy one from Amazon as the price can't be beat).

Anyway, after attaching it to my PC, I opened up the camera's folder, and there were 15 videos, ranging in time from 30 sec to 90sec. Could the camera have actually caught one of the little son-of-a-guns?, I wondered? With anticipation, I opened up the very first video file and was pleasantly startled to see what I saw. There it was in all it's tiny glory, skittering around my kitchen floor, thumbing it's wiggly little nose up at me!

Based on my new-found knowledge of his whereabouts, I'm in the process of putting together a party for my little friend - a party from which he'll hopefully never return!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the Job, December 13, 2011
Amazon Customer (Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, USA) - See all my reviews
It took some time to find exactly what I needed and fortunately this little gadget fit the bill precisely.

It works exactly as described. It's early days yet - but it seems to be robust and well made to last a long time.

The short videos it creates are time stamped - which is what I was looking for - and can view something in absolute darkness.
The videos are a bit over exposed as they need to be to catch the tiniest of light sources. I don't intend to do anything
except keep track of animal movements at night - so the videos are just fine for me.

The instructions are clear. But, they tend to assume that the reader is completely aware of what they are referring to.
In order to set the time and date stamp (which works very well) you need to create a small .txt file and transfer it into
the folder of the camera.

For those confused by this - on a Windows machine (sorry can't speak to what is needed on Macs, . .) in the 'Accessories'
folder in the programs of the Start Menu, you should find 'Notepad'. This is what you would use to create the .txt file with the
current date & time. (The text you type in and save is completely spelled out in the instructions, . . .)
Once created and saved - you drag and drop it into the camera folder after you have connected the camera to ]
your pc. That's all there is to it.

One note - this may be tripping up some trying to set the time and date - The time that needs to be set is based on a
24 hour clock (which most of the world uses, . .) as opposed to a 12 hour clock that we use in the States. So 5PM is
written as 17:00. This may be one of the reasons setting the time hasn't worked for others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nifty little device, March 7, 2012
I've been using this for a few weeks to watch for people snooping around my work cubicle after hours. So far I'm fairly impressed - the device works as advertised.

Pros:
- Excellent battery life, I have left it unattended for several days at a time.
- There is a tripod mount on the back of unit, but I haven't tried it yet.
- Very small package - does not look overly conspicuous.
- Included rubber stand allows for easy positioning
- Incredibly easy to use once configured - just turn the switch "on" when you want it active.
- The night vision, while I have only tested it once, is surprisingly pretty good.

Cons (mostly already covered)
- The instructions are not very clear.
- The field of view is not very wide - I'm only able to capture about 1/2 of the area in my cubicle.
- When in pitch dark, the IR LED's light up for the night vision to work. The IR's are not invisible - they emit some low red light, which to me was clearly visible in a mostly dark room - this makes it somewhat conspicuous in the dark.
- There is a definite delay in time to start recording. This is the price for long battery life - the device is in "standby" until it detects motion, so there's a delay for things to get rolling. Typically a person is fully in frame by the time recording starts. I don't think it's a big deal personally, but expect the first 2-4 seconds of an "event" to be missed.
- Connecting it to my PC is rather flaky using the built-in USB port. I usually remove the microSD card and use a separate microSD reader to access the stored videos.

And here is a rough setup guide that may help those who struggle with the included directions:

1) Acquire a microSD card that is at least rated as "Class 6" - I bought a 16 gig one from a different online site. It is NOT included.

2) You must be able to access this microSD card as a drive on a Windows PC - either by following the included directions for activating the "removable storage" on the camera, or the much easier method - use a microSD USB reader. Many microSD cards come with a reader.

3) The camera comes with a small CD containing a setup executable (.exe) file. You must copy this setup file to the microSD card. Do NOT launch the setup program from the CD - copy it to the microSD card, and then put the CD away - you won't need it anymore.

4) From the microSD card, launch the setup program that you just copied. Here you will set resolution, frame rate, and date/time. Click the "save" button.

5) The program will instruct you to reboot the camera. If you are using an external card reader, take the card out and put it into the camera - remove the battery cover and gently pull the battery aside to expose the microSD slot. If you are not, then disconnect the camera from the USB cable and thrn it "Off".

6) Wait a few seconds, then, turn the camera switch to "On". Set it somewhere, dance around in front of it, whatever, to test it. I would recommend running it for several minutes, some of that time spent moving in front of it, and some of that time spent out of the field of view, to give it a thorough test. The camera generally will NOT save the video it is CURRENTLY recording, so if you just turn it on, move around, and turn it off, the camera will not save any videos. You must allow it to reset to standby at least once for it to write the video to the card.

7) Turn the camera off and move the microSD card to your reader (or, follow the directions to put the camera in mass storage mode). Open the "VIDEOS" folder on your SD card. There should be folders sorted by date, and then videos within for each motion detection, the file name being the timestamp. Make sure you can play them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat impressed, October 12, 2011
I bought this camera to put into my car and everything works fine except the motion activation takes too long to activate. If you walk at a normal pace past my car then the activation is too slow to catch the motion. If you linger for more than 5 seconds, only then will it will catch the motion. I have an internal motion activation system in my house that senses motion instantly even in the dark. I guess I am used to INSTANT motion detection and this camera has 5 SECOND DELAYED motion detection. I was able to set the date very easily, the battery does last for over 50hrs continuous before recharging as promised and it does film in complete darkness.

3.0 out of 5 stars Motion-Activated Mini Spy Camera with Night Vision and 10-Day Battery Life, March 2, 2012
Motion-Activated Mini Spy Camera with Night Vision and 10-Day Battery Life

This is a generic Motion-Activated Camera with Night Vision. Have not used it for 10 days straight yet because I used it for 12 hours and the battery ran out.

I assumed it was user error because there is no way to tell if the battery is fully charged! I plan to charge it over night and try again...

Also don't waste your money on a 32gb memory card because the camera over writes the old files anyways.
A 8gb is enough to where the battery will run out (10 days on standby) before the card is full. (a 32gb card if the camera is always plugged in)

According to the user manual, 7mb for a 30 sec video for 10 days will not exceed 8gb. At which point you will have to charge the camera anyways.

Calls for a Micro SD card class 6 or higher so avoid the common class 4 cards that are always on sale...

Only complaints: When the subject is close to the camera the IR lights over expose them, the detection is on average 2-4 seconds before recording starts, the IR light and blinking light on the front are obvious in the dark.

Quick fix: put the camera further away or higher up, aim the camera in advance of where the subject will be so the camera sensor can detect them and by the time recording starts they will be entering the frame, obvious lights: black marker on the IR lights and some electrical tape over the blinking light.

UPDATE 4/25/2012: The battery lasts about 8-10 days after a full charge. Then the life of the battery diminishes to about 4-5 days after a few recharges. I have two units, both are having same battery issues!

1.0 out of 5 stars perfect design, but practically useless.., March 12, 2012
i am very disappiontedwith this product. first they sent me one which wldnt even start, then they nicely replaced it,. the performance was all i needed...clear vidoes with wide coverage, but it lasted only 3 recordings and that was also gone! such a waste of 150 dollars! and i really need this product! what else is there that works and has similar options? somebody please help!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money ..., May 18, 2012
Dr. L. hogue Jr. (Annapolis, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
Ive not written a review on any products I've purchased over the years from Amazon because Ive always been satisfied with them ...
This product is such junk that at 0100hrs in the morning I felt compelled to write a review so that no one else wastes their money ...

Product arrived timely from Amazon 2 days. Upon opening it I found the packaging to look like the cheesy China stuff you see in the dollar store...
Packaging says 2-32GB TF cards..IM not sure what that means No card is included nor were there options for the color bases it shows.
There is no wall mount that comes with it as advertised on their site...I only saw a slot for one micro SD Card ( must be ordered separately) Inside the highest quality item is the rubber stand that holds the cam. The cord, power pack, battery and cam itself are cheaply made for $135.00. I can't speak for the battery life this early in the game since we just purchased it.

The directions are a nightmare. The 1 page 2 sided directions you'll never understand ...for example "Step 4 Check videos" makes no sense ..Turns out you have to set up a txt file and put date and time on it and then put it on the micro card after you've accessed it through your computer ..
We have a new Macbookpro on Lion ..Says it works with Macs ...Well the mini cd provided with the software and second manual you need to set this up won't fit in the computer dvd slot so its useless. So id say it doesn't work with macs...
I did read where one buyer was able to email SpygearGadgets and get them to send him a file via email ..

I can only get a answering machine that says to leave a message. Technical support seems unfounded let alone lifetime service ..I really have to question the value of the 1 year manufacturer warranty. However, I will hold Amazon to it ...Spygeargadgets web site says their products are made in USA of highest quality ...This was not made in the USA nor was it packaged in the USA ...

Re Instruction Manuals:
Page 2 of guide talks about upgrading software on DVR ...They ask you to put in cd and click on config.exe and copy this supposed file to your micro card root directory ?? Root directory is what?
Im not sure who wrote the "USER GUIDE" but it too looks like someone not fluent in english tried to convert another language to tell us how to set this thing up..
Heres an example.."Note: The exact instructing, Please as CD-software manual" What does that mean? or how about this "Exception Clause: We don't guarantee for the document veracity, reliability or any content except regulate in proper laws. Including no guarantee for product suitable market or suitable area promise" Meaning what ?
One of the two files on mini cd is a 3 page "Software Manual" now this is different from USER Manual that comes in the box. Very confusing directions to add to confusion of the other manual ...Again if you can understand what the person is trying to tell you ...I couldn't.

I spent 3 hrs trying to figure this out ..finally searched net and read someone else's directions on how to set this thing up...how to set the date and time, how to set up files and how to view them etc..
As for the quality of the video ..for darkness at night video seems to be pretty good and sound is good..once you get it working ...It takes a least 5 seconds from first movement to actually come on and about the same when movement has stopped to stop. It is motion activated Sound alone will not activate it ...
Many so-called 'spy shops' sell bargain rate hidden cameras and low-tech surveillance gadgets; toys that are as useless as they are cheap. But if you have a serious predicament, you need professional-level, high quality equipment and a support staff with trained expertise.

On their Web Site they state....which I seriously beg to differ on ....
"At Spy Tec, we pride ourselves on stocking only the highest quality, state-of-the-art spy and surveillance equipment such as Hidden Cameras, GPS tracking Devices, Nanny Cameras, Spy Accessories, Bug Detection Devices and much, much more.
Whether you are in the corporate world, a small business owner or a concerned parent, Spy Tec's discreet and knowledgeable staff of security experts will provide professional advice."

In summation I'm truly amazed that any seller especially AMAZON would sell such poor quality device with such poorly written instructions that aren't even in proper English.
For $135.00 I expected a lot more ...Most likely will return product and look at higher end products and spend $300-$400 to get something that doesn't seem like a cheap plastic toy from the dollar store.
I would encourage AMAZON to take a serious look at this product and its instructions and discontinue selling this over priced poor quality CHINA junk that tarnishes their reputation.

1.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS A KNOCK OFF PRODUCT!!!!, September 16, 2013
Do NOT buy this product unless its SOLD by Spygear Gadgets. I made the mistake and bought it from another seller. It arrived in a bare box (no brand name) with one page instructions (which were awful). It was a piece of junk. I immediately looked up the number of Spygear Gadgets online for help with this junk. They advised me that it was not their product. Apparently, there are other sellers trying to sell a "knock off" version of theirs. He was able to describe mine to the "t." I have called Amazon about this and they assured me they would look into it and get to the bottom of it. Its fraud -- no question about it. Before you buy this camera, call Skygear Gadgets and MAKE SURE you are buying the right one! It should be $115 (around). If its $85, you have the knock off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cam for the money!!, March 4, 2012
This is a GREAT spy cam for the money. A drawback is the infrared lights that show in the dark when using night recording. Guess what??? Improvise and cover them with black duct tape..... Problem Solved!
If you want perfection then spend $400 and UP .... This camera has a 10 day standby time. I've tested it and it's true!!!

Well Worth the money.