Customer Discussions > Mario Kart Wii with Wii Wheel forum

Motion Sickness when playing Mario Kart

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 6, 2009 10:34:05 AM PST
Lisa says:
I just received my new Mario Kart game yesterday and I played for about 30 minutes before I thought I was going to puke. Ended up with a horrible headache and nausea for several hours after. Turns out that some people experience motion sickness when playing this game. Has anyone that has experienced motion sickness found a remedy? Thanks for any input.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2009 8:52:58 PM PST
@homemom says:
No remedy yet as I haven't tried anything for it but I wanted to thank you for your post. We just got a PS3 and I found that after playing Little Big Planet for awhile I'm feeling very ill and have a terrible headache. I do have extreme motion sickness (couldn't even go on the swings as a child and can't ride in the back seat of a car) but was surprised by this reaction. I do have some natural motion sickness tablets (hyland's motion sickness, they sell them here on amazon) which work AMAZING for plane/car/etc trips so I'm going to try those next time. I'll be sure to stock up since this game is on our wish list to buy this week too!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2009 8:33:49 AM PST
j says:
Try sitting further away from the tv if you can.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2009 11:00:55 PM PDT
ajwar says:
DRAMAMINE!!! you can buy it at walgreens, walmart, schnucks...........

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2009 2:33:10 PM PDT
Tinana says:
I just had the experience of instant motion sickness when I attempted to play my grandson's Mario Kart Wii. I was fine when I watched him play but as soon as I had the wheel myself and started, the room began to spin and I felt queasy. I do get some car sickness if I try to read in a moving car, but this was more severe and had much faster onset. I was both surprised and puzzled.

Posted on Jun 6, 2009 11:19:52 PM PDT
i dont get motion sickness from video games, cars, or any of that stuff. I do get it from many rides, like roller coasters. Dramamine doesn't help at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2009 6:22:29 AM PDT
@homemom says:
Dramamine isn't an option for me, either for video game play or traveling as even the non drowsy makes me very tired and loopy feeling on it's own. However as a side note to this discussion (since I haven't tried it for the game yet) if you're someone who suffers from motion sickness and isn't thrilled with the feeling dramamine leaves you with either try Hylands Motion Sickness!!! I've used their colic tabs for years with my daughter (and even myself) and figured it wouldn't hurt to try the motion sickness ones, oh my goodness.... they work insanely well, and NO SIDE EFFECTS AT ALL!!!! They are my secret miracle cure now for traveling, such an amazing difference! I'll have to try them for playing the game soon, not sure if they will work as well though on the visual based sickness vs actual physical motion based sickness.

Posted on Aug 4, 2009 8:03:00 AM PDT
Well, you can try somethings like:

a) Play in a lit up room, not in dark rooms.
b) Sit further away from the tv.
c) After every race, take a small break and then continue with the game. Take long breaks in prolonged gaming sessions.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2009 8:40:25 PM PDT
H. C. Kim says:
Hey, I got motion sickness while playing Metal Gear solid4, Medal of Honor Airborne. It was real bad. It felt like having headache and nausea. So I have to lay down. Anyway, now on I took "DRAMAMINE" 30 minute before play games. Now, I don't get nausea, headaches any more but dramamine made me sleepy so I had good nap after game. zzz... LOL.

Posted on Jan 2, 2010 11:33:54 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 29, 2015 2:10:54 PM PST]

Posted on May 28, 2011 4:41:13 PM PDT
I guess I gotta be the odd one out. I get a headache and really nauseated when I play Zelda:Twilight Princess on the Wii. But I'm fine w/ Mario Kart. LOL. I can read books and walk, and play WoW online and never get sick, but put me down near the tv, as far away as I can sit, and turn on Zelda and I'm soon burying my head in pillows trying to get the room to stop spinning. Guess I'll have to try the hylands. I know we used the teething tablets for our kids and they were great.

Posted on May 29, 2011 11:02:38 PM PDT
Ellen Ripley says:
I do experience some motion sickness ever since I started playing on our new 42" HDTV. I'm fine on our older, smaller screen TV. I think the fact that more and more people are buying larger screens and the the experience is more immersive is big factor in feeling queasy or having a headache. I know I get motion sick at IMAX 3D movies. I certainly won't be getting a 3D HDTV anytime soon.

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 6:02:25 PM PST
jvdi says:
What is interesting is I used to play radical amounts of this game. We are talking over 20,000 races. I never got sick but Super Mario Galaxy was unplayable and I could not go over a half an hour with Zelda. I also played Excitebots and played a ridulous amount of games and never got sick.

But I quit playing videogames for about 1.75 years. So I have played a few games recently and I am getting sick bigtime.

So maybe you get used to it? It is weird because why did I not get sick when I first started playing?

I did used to play a lot of videogames before Mario Kart so maybe I was slowly innoculated.

All I know is about a half hour of MKW and I don't feel all that great for about 3 hours or more. It sucks. On the other hand it keeps me from playing too much which can be counterproductive.

Posted on Aug 26, 2014 6:39:08 PM PDT
My boyfriend was so stoked when this game came out that he played it almost the whole day... but then later commented that he was afraid he had vertigo (something he did have in the past) but looking at the game, i knew it was the culprit. Super bummer because it's a really fun game. We both play a ton of video games and this is the first one that's made him sick; though he can't watch those 'found footage' movies where the camera is all shaky without feeling sick, so I guess its the same thing. Were going to try setting the wii up on a smaller TV (vs the 52") and see if that helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2014 2:41:38 PM PDT
Did you try the new Mario Kart? Time to get a Wii U and Mario Kart 8. Maybe it's programmed better for vertigo. But really, it does seem like it might be worse. You have to drive like sideways and upside down and stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2015 2:16:29 PM PST
Yup, it's worse -- all of Mario Kart 8's gimmicky twisting and tilting gets a bit sickening after a while. It's not as bad as Mario Kart Double Dash back in the GameCube days (where every act of powersliding made me nauseous), but it's still bothersome.

In contrast, I could play the other three console Mario Karts (SMK, MK64, MK Wii) for hours without a problem.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Jan 6, 2009
Latest post:  Jan 29, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Mario Kart Wii with Wii Wheel
Mario Kart Wii with Wii Wheel by Nintendo (Nintendo Wii)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (1,347)