5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful story for "that sort of boy"....
On a recent 24 hour road trip to Florida, my five year old son(and the two adults in the car!) became captivated by a very small mouse named Ralph. He sat spellbound in his booster seat from the moment the CD began and didn't utter a sound (except for a giggle every time he heard the P-b-b-b-b-b-b of the motorcycle) until the story came to an end.

The Mouse...
Published on December 20, 2006 by J. Eoll

3.0 out of 5 stars Mouse and the motorcycle
Pretty good book I give it three stars you should try writing about a different animal and try another setting instead of a hotel off you do I want to read it
Published 6 months ago by CHAD G.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful story for "that sort of boy"...., December 20, 2006
J. Eoll "book worm" (Exeter, NH United States) - See all my reviews

The Mouse and the Motorcycle is a story about the friendship between a boy and a mouse... and the shiny red toy motorcycle that they share. Major themes include friendship, sharing, loyalty, selflessness, keeping your word, and following your dreams even if they are unconventional or unpopular.

It is a wonderful story; imaginative, funny, full of adventure, and it is cleverly written. It is a perfect car companion for young and old and I would recommend it highly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely charming, this book had me turning the pages, June 9, 2009
J. Maxon (Minnesota, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Story overview:
---------------
One day, in an old fashioned and unfrequented hotel, a family shows up. The mother is not the most thrilled about the idea of staying at this place, and keeps on insisting that there are probably mice living there, but there were no other options (they had driven for many hours and everything else was full). Her and her husband stay in room 216, but their son, Keith, is allowed to have his own room next door in #215.

The boy pokes his finder in a hole only to find, to his disappointment, that there's nothing in there. Little did he know that it was the entrance to the home of Ralph, a young and mischievous mouse who is always giving his mother reasons to worry; particularly on this day when he climbs up a phone cord to look for leftover crumbs.

Unfortunately for Ralf, the boy's mother is overly clean and there were no leftovers, however what he saw was something he desired even more than food: a motorcycle.

Ralf sits on the motorcycle and accidently rolls off the table, falling into a waste basket, where he is discovered by the boy, Keith, and they become good friends. The two have a lot of fun together until one day-due to Ralf's carelessness-the hotel finds evidence of mice and so Ralf and his family take refuge. Thankfully for the mice, Keith brings them enough food to eat, but one day the boy becomes ill and Ralf finds himself on a mission to help find him some medicine.

My thoughts:
-------------
Extremely charming, this book had me turning the pages. The fonts are big (at least in my edition), so it's easier for children to read, and the illustrations (though sometimes not quite accurate) do a good job of painting a visual picture to the words. As an adult, I still really enjoyed reading this again, and will probably go back and read a few more "Ralph S. Mouse" books before too long.

Things to consider:
------------------
Keep in mind that this book was written in 1965, and there are some really dated expressions and items, but being from the 60s, and for children, I think it safe to say that this can be read to just about any age. It seems to be targeted more towards boys at around five years old, but I can see girls easily enjoying it too. No cursing, no violence, no sexual situations. Just nice, clean and entertaining reading.

James D. Maxon
Author of Traphis: A Wizard's Tale

5.0 out of 5 stars The book from a 3rd Grader's Perspective, March 1, 2000
By A Customer
Th Mouse and the Motorcycle, by Beverly Cleary, is the hilarious story of a mouse, a boy, and a toy motorcycle. This the most comical, action-packed story I have ever read. I think that Keith is a young, generous boy who gives Ralph his two most prized possessions, a toy motorcycle and a crash helmet. I love the way Mrs. Cleary portrays Ralph as a medium-sized mouse who is bold, funny, and adventurous. I love how Mrs. Cleary writes her books; when I read them, it seems as though they come alive! Her language is sparkling and well written. This book makes me want to read all of Beverly Cleary's books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lessons -- and it's funny too!, August 15, 2001
slomamma (San Luis Obispo, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Both of my children adored this book and IÕm kind of fond of it myself. ItÕs just a cute little story about a friendship between a mouse who lives in an old, run-down hotel and a boy who stays at the hotel over a long weekend. The mouse learns to ride the boyÕs toy motorcycle, which thrills them both (and also thrilled my kids), but gets the mouse into a number of scrapes, including losing the motorcycle. Eventually the mouse learns to be more responsible and to care more about others, and earns back his precious motorcycle. I like the bookÕs message Š that the more responsible you are, the more privileges you get. ThatÕs something IÕm always trying to teach my kids, and I appreciate the help this book offers in getting the message across. But even more, I love Beverly ClearyÕs light touch, her sense of humor, and her obvious respect for children. She teaches important lessons in a nice way. ItÕs no surprise that she one of most childrenÕs favorite writers.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is about a curious mouse who finds a motorcycle., November 9, 1999
By A Customer
The book is about a mouse named Ralph, who finds a toy car- motorcycle. He tries to drive it, but he drives it right into the trash can! He is lucky when Keith, the boy who moved in and who is the owner of the toy car, comes and rescues him.
To Ralph's surprise, Keith is lonely and wants to be Ralph's friend. One night, when Keith is asleep, Ralph sneaks out of the room with the motorcycle. Ralph gets in trouble when the mean, old cat finds him and goes after him. But, Ralph gets lucky, and , of course, like usual, Keith comes to the rescue.
This is a great book about a curious mouse who likes lots of fun. I found this book much more interesting than most, and thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I give it 2 1/2 thumbs up--way up! It is fun and interesting. If you like action and adventure, then you would just love this book. I know I do!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Children's Classic (for all ages!), December 6, 1999
Kurt, age 11 (Cicero, Indiana) - See all my reviews
I believe that Beverly Cleary is the world's most important children's author. Even adults will read and enjoy Beverly Cleary's books. my personal favorite is The Mouse and the Motorcycle. It is about a mouse named Ralph. Ralph is a regular speed demon. He has a love for the thrill of speed. The Mouse and the Motorcycle teaches the values of keeping promises and honesty. Ralph is always breaking promises. Everytime he does, something happens that causes a big problem. The book teaches respect. When Ralph ignores his mother, something happens like falling in a wastepaper basket. In the story's conclusion, Ralph realizes all he wants is to be a respectable mouse. The Mouse and the Motorcycle is enjoyable for all audiences. Its fun and exciting plot makes it a good read-aloud story. A good example of this can be found on page 23. "There it was at the end-the motorcycle! Ralph stared at it and then walked over and kicked a tire. Close up the motorcycle looked even better than he expected. it was new and shiny with a good pair of tires. Ralph walked all the way around it, examining the pair of chromium mufflers and the engine and the hand clutch. It even had a little license plate so it would be legal to ride it. "Boy!" Ralph said to himself, his whiskers quivering with excitement. "Boy, oh Boy!"." Every boy and girl of any age would love this story! Comparing Beverly Cleary's books, I have discovered they should be rated first. The majority of children's books are aimed mainly to young girls while Beverly Cleary's books are enjoyed by girls and boys. Beverly Cleary's books promote good values unlike books such as Sideways Storys from Wayside School by Louis Sachar. The children in these stories do not respect their elders. Beverly Cleary's beleivable characters make her silly plots seem real. Louis Sachar's characters are not believable which make the plot just plain weird. The Mouse and the Motorcycle should be considered a children's classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids love this!, June 15, 2003
I am a beginning teacher and read this aloud to my students, who went ecstatic with the story. This laid the groundwork for several class discussions and teachable moments for informal learning. I recommend this to any elementary teacher or parent; good, quality summer reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars rescue from the past, April 5, 2001
I loved it as a child. I must have read it a hundred times - translated into my native language. Then I lost it. The book in my native country had until then long gone out of print. But I never forgot that little mouse (though unfortunately the author's name). From time to time he kept showing up with his shining red motorcycle. Yesterday I happened upon the title in a New Yorker article and learned that I share my passion with a nine year old boy, Dernard, living at the Shrimp Boat. One chance in a million. Tonight, thanks to him, I will order it. I am happy.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Mouse and the Motorcycle, October 16, 2004
A Kid's Review
This story is so cute and enchanting! Ralph, the mouse, was quite the charecter. I enjoyed hearing things from his point of view. I listened to the book on tape, and the noises the narrator made for the motorcycle were hilarious! Although not one of my all-time favorite stories, this one was still memorable, and worth at least one read/listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amanda Pittard's review: The Mouse and the Motorcycle, December 6, 2004
This book is about a boy named Keith and a curious mouse named, Ralph. Keith and his family are on vacation and are staying at a hotel, which just happens to be Ralph's home. Ralph is a very curious mouse and when Keith is out of the room Ralph sees a shiny motorcylce. Keith left his toy motorcycle on the table and Ralph decides that he wants to ride it. Ralph ends up falling into a trashcan with the motorcycle. Ralph thought he was a gonner, until Keith comes along and saves him. The boy and the mouse end up developing a great friendship. Keith helps to protect Ralph and his mouse family from the humans who do not want the mice around. Ralph ends up helping Keith out when he is very sick. They end up realizing how important it is having a good friend. The boy and mouse experience many adventures while Keith stays at the hotel. I found this book so exciting that I did not want to put it down. I got sucked into the book and felt like I was experiencing the adventures myself. I learned from this book, that having friends and people who love and care about you are a very important thing to have in life. I was also able to see how Ralph and Keith both matured from their experiences that they shared. If you like adventure and fantasy worlds, this book is a great book to read to get out of the real world for a while. Amanda Pittard

The Mouse and the Motorcycle (Paperback)
The Mouse and the Motorcycle (Paperback) by Louis Darling (Unknown Binding - 1998)
Used & New from: $1.03