To echo what most reviewers are saying, these are great bluetooth headphones. I use them to listen to movies/TV on my PC when others in the room don't want to be disturbed, and they are consistently excellent.

A lot of reviewers are questioning the "high-quality audio" claims of the HT820. These people need to get a clue. There are two prominent Bluetooth audio profiles: basic and stereo. The stereo profile is called "A2DP." MOST PHONES AND OTHER BT SOURCES DO NOT SUPPORT A2DP. In fact, most non-"musicphones" that weren't launched in the last year (like every Motorola RAZR others than the V3i and the V3m) do not feature A2DP.

If your phone supports A2DP, you will get crystal clear stereo sound. If it doesn't, you will get low-bitrate mono-sound. In which case, you are wasting money on a set of headphones like these. BUT DON'T BLAME THE HEADSET, blame your phone manufacturer for cheaping out.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 25, 2006
This is the best Bluetooth stereo headset that I have found so far. In "headset" mode these work great with Skype or a Bluetooth phone. The audio quality in "headset" mode is average at best but that is typical for a telephone headset. The built in microphone is effective as long as the ambient noise level isn't too high. It might be an improvement to put the microphone on a small boom.

These headphones can also operate in "audio sink" mode if the device you are pairing them with supports it. In "audio sink" mode the audio quality is very good for playing music or watching movies.

My sole complaint about this headset is that they are uncomfortable to wear for extended periods - several hours at a stretch.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 16, 2007
Verified Purchase
Durable. Sounds great. Mic provides good sound for those on the other endof the connection. I like the wrap-around fit (walkman-style headphones look dorky - wrap around is better). Although.. after 30 minutes the tips of my ears can become sore which I am learning to cope with. I use it with Motorola L2 cell phone and Anycom 250 USB dongle for Skype. This is the one to get. I had a competing Plantronics product -- in fact two of them -- but they both broke in the same place due to the use of plastic in high-stress areas. The Motorola design is much smarter.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 18, 2007
Verified Purchase
I used these headphones with the HTC Advantage 7501 and it worked very well. The sound was very good and the controls worked as advertised. However, the ear pads come off easily and after only one week I lost one. Motorola said they don't sell the ear pads separately and apologized for the inconvenience. They were a bit uncomfortable with the ear pads so obviously without one the headphones were unusable. Seems like a design flaw to me and I feel a bit ripped off. If you do decide to purchase this product I would immediately glue them in place.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 9, 2008
First of all, as everyone else has mentioned, make sure that your cell phone has A2 stereo capability -- if it doesn't, these headphones will only operate as a traditional headset. Clearly, they're too bulky and impractical to serve for only that purpose.

With that said, I have these paired with my Motorola Q 9h, and the sound quality is absolutely fantastic. If you don't read the instructions when you first get these headphones, pairing will frustrate you to no end. The secret is that you have to hold the button down for about 20 seconds straight on the LEFT ear piece and let the Motorola logo light up and stay lit consistently.

Then, and only then, will your laptop/smartphone pick up these headphones. Pairing with bluetooth is notoriously frustrating with almost any bluetooth device if you don't know how to put an item into pairing mode, so it's definitely not a unique issue to these headphones.

I also have them paired with a cheap (but excellent quality) "Dongle" that can handle up to 7 different bluetooth devices on my laptop (operates through the USB port). When I have the HT820 headphones paired with the laptop dongle, I can literally play video games in the next room 25 feet away and get a crystal clear signal and hear music as well as if I were 2 feet from the bluetooth signal source.

I have had no problems with the functionality of these headphones, and the button system on the earpieces is simple and easy to use -- you just click the left ear piece button to make a phone call through the headphones (it activates your voice dialing program) and click the right side to play/pause your media player's music function.

The headphones have great battery life, I can listen to music for 6 - 8 hours straight on and off (pausing and playing periodically while I work) and do that for 2 - 3 days without needing to recharge -- the headphones outlast my phone's extended battery, so it's impressive. It takes about 90 minutes to do a full charge from dead-to-full. Also, the headphones operate on the Mini-USB format, so the charger that comes with the headphones will also work to charge most smart phone/PDAs and other devices on the mini-USB format (there are many). So, I can charge my smartphone and the HT820 headphones on the same car charger/wall chargers interchangeably -- it's great, and it's about time "they" started streamlining things like this -- way to go Motorola for getting on board early.

Finally, the call quality is excellent, my voice recognition software picks up my voice the first time every time through the built-in microphone on the HT820. I had reservations about whether the headphones would work well as a headset to talk on for phone calls because it doesn't have a microphone that extends out toward my mouth, but lo-and-behold, after asking about a dozen people if they could hear me okay, and all saying they could hear me just fine, I stopped talking louder than I needed to and worrying about the call quality -- because it's there, no doubt.

Some negatives are minor. I had these paired with a Blackberry 8820, and with that device, I could have used a little more volume level. But now that I have it paired with a Moto Q9h, the volume is there and then some. The plastic "wrap-around" style does take a little while to get used to, and does look a little bit weird, but after a while you don't even notice it, and it's actually probably better than an "over-the-head" format after a few weeks. One other drawback is that when you use the phone, people look at you like you're insane because these look like "just" headphones and not a headset for a phone, so when you're just talking, idiots (I'm a law student and my school is full of them, and it happens all the time to me) think you're talking to them and respond to what you're saying to the person on the other end of the telephone conversation. Needless to say, Motorola can't be blamed for most people's total lack of self-awareness and ego-centric personalities (i.e., they think a random stranger MUST be talking to them).

In sum,

PROS:

-FANTASTIC BUILD QUALITY

-GREAT VALUE

-EXCELLENT SOUND QUALITY FOR STEREO MUSIC THROUGH MEDIA PLAYER

-EASY TO USE, SIMPLE TWO-BUTTON FORMAT THAT GIVES YOU EVERYTHING YOU NEED

-GREAT CALL QUALITY FOR PHONE CALLS, GOOD MICROPHONE BUILT-IN

-VERY STRONG BLUETOOT SIGNAL RECEPTION

-WORKS WITH EVERYTHING I'VE TRIED TO PAIR IT WITH

-EXCELLENT BATTERY LIFE

CONS:

-WRAP-AROUND STYLE CAN HURT YOUR EARS AFTER A FEW HOURS, BUT YOU GET USED TO THIS

-PERHAPS A LITTLE BIT INADEQUATE IN VOLUME WHEN PAIRED WITH BLACKBERRY'S (BASED ON MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE)
on May 14, 2007
Cons, or here's what you need to ask:

1. Does your phone support A2DP? If not you won't get high quality stereo, if you get audio out of it at all.

2. Does your phone support AVRCP? If not you won't be able to remote control your songs on your phone. You'll have to use your buttons on the phone.

3. Does your bluetooth adapter support A2DP? If not you won't get high quality stereo.

4. Does your bluetooth adapter support AVRCP? If no, you won't be able to remote control your computer player.

5. Do you mind plugging in the headphones with a mini audio cable if that's the only way to get stereo? It comes with a short cable in case you have a device that only supports a mini jack.

6. Do you mind buying the Motorola DC800 for all your other wireless remote listening needs? That's going to add some cost but can connect to most audio devices so you can go wireless.

7. Do you like the style?

8. Is your head not too big for the strap? It's not adjustable.

9. Can you be careful not to lose the earpads? They come off easily.

10. Are you using it in a noisy/windy environment? The mic does not perform well in that environment, otherwise it works great.

Reasons to get this:

1. It works great if you have support for A2DP and AVRCP. I have found that the software that supports this the best is BlueSoleil on BlueTake BT007SX bluetooth adapter. See my review of that.

Bluetake BT007SX EDR Bluetooth Adapter (USB, 100m)

Bluetake BT007SX Bluetooth EDR USB Adapter

and for shorter range at higher price (go figure that out?):

Bluetake BT009SX EDR Bluetooth Adapter (USB, 10m)

Bluetake BT009SX EDR Bluetooth Adapter (USB, 10m)

2. The remote controls are great if you have the right phone or bluetooth adapter/software.

3. It charges very fast.

4. The charge lasts a long time.

5. The phone and stereo quality are quite good.

6. You can plug it in with a mini jack if you have no other options.

7. It's techno-cool.

-j
on January 31, 2007
Verified Purchase
I have had the HT820 Bluetooth Stereo Headset for about a month now. When I purchased them I had read all of the feedback and new pretty much what I was getting into. 1. It is true that there is no adjustment for the headphone size other than moving them to a position that is comfortable. Once you adjust them they stay on well enough. However if you plan on running you might need to do some self engineered adjustments. The ease of setup was a 10. I had no problems connecting to my Chocolate cell phone. The quality of the stereo sound is great. I have not had any hissing or popping noise from the connection. The battery life is better than I expected. The volume adjustment key placement can be a bit of a challenge while the head set is on your head. The Cell phone microphone is to good. It picks up everything from children talking in the far back seat of the car to the thump thump of the highway pavement seams. If everything is quiet then they are fine. I think that the headsets are pretty good but have a few issues that need to be worked out. On Using them as stereo headphones they need to allow adjustments. For using them as a handsfree cell headset, they need to get a background noise canceling mike.
on July 24, 2007
Verified Purchase
I got the HT820 a few days ago and for the most part I am very happy with it. Contrary to what some people have said, it *does* simultaneously connect with a phone and PC. I am using a Treo 700p PDA phone and a Lenovo X60 Thinkpad with integrated Bluetooth. If it doesn't do that for you, it is most likely a driver/SW problem with your phone and/or PC. It takes two to tango and people are all too ready to blame the headset when it is just as likely to be a problem with their source.

When I'm listening to music I have stored on my X60 it plays the music well and the controls all work with Windows Media Player. If I get a call, the music will pause and I can take the call on my Treo. When I end the call, the music resumes. The sound quality is decent. It's not audiophile quality, but if you want that from a $70 wireless headset, your head is screwed on wrong. It's certainly good enough for what I want it for which is casual listening while I'm working.

One big plus is that the HT820 stays connected to my Treo 700p much better than my Plantronics Discovery 640. With the 640, the headset always drops the BT connection about 1 minute after ending a call. The 640 does this with my Treo 100% of the time. I am reasonably sure it is a problem with the Treo's BT so it is technically not the fault of the 640, but the HT820 appears to handle the Treo BT problem much better.

A few issues I have:

1) My biggest problem is that the rubber that goes over the ears has a bit of a harder edge than I would like and after a little while it gets somewhat uncomfortable. I'm going to try a little moleskin from the local Walgreen's to see if that helps.

2) The sound quality of the microphone is just so-so. My friends that hear me on the other end of my calls say it sounds somewhat muffled compared to my Plantronics 640. They can still clearly hear me and understand what I'm saying, but in a relative comparison the 640 has a better sound detection circuit.

Finally, I do get occasional dropouts on my music, but I know it is the BT software on my Treo again. I can see that when the Treo drops the BT connection, the HT820 tries repeatedly to reconnect and the music from my PC gets spotty until it connects and then it's fine again. The other times I get dropouts is when the X60 is doing something fairly processor intensive. I guess audio is considered low priority in the software and is one of the first things to get put on hold.

As others have mentioned, there is a noticable lag in the audio when you are watching video or playing games. This is expected because of the extra encoding/decoding step that has to happen when you send it digitally over BT and then the headset has to decode it again. I would say BT headsets in general are best for listening to pure audio since there is nothing visual to be in sync with. They are OK for video if you can deal with the slight delay in the sound. It kinda looks like those old kung fu movies where peoples' mouths will move slightly ahead of when you hear what they are saying. Any BT headset is going to have this issue until they come out with software and system design changes that compensate for it.

I have tried it with some games and they are OK for turn-based games like Galactic Civilizations where the audio is not crucial to the game action. However, BT headsets are currently not good for real time games like first-person shooters since the audio delay messes me up. Gotta stick to low-tech analog headsets for that.

Overall, it is very good but not perfect. If it weren't for the over-the-ear comfort issue, I would give it a 5.
on January 21, 2007
I paired these with a Blackjack. The sound quality for speaking is good, people I spoke with didn't notice I was using a headset. For music, the sound quality is average (I'm used to Etymotics and Shure headphones, which are great), but the functionality makes up for it. I used these while working out and snowboarding. The wireless freedom is great. For snowboarding, having the button to pause on the right ear is also great, and having the last dialed button on the left ear to switch from music to calling back the last person I spoke with, was great on the slopes. Didn't have to take my gloves off.

I only give it 4 stars because the music sound quality has room to improve. i'm guessing high quality bluetooth headphones (when they come out) are going to be double the price at least though.
on November 18, 2006
I just purchased this on 11/17/06. Radio Shack has the HT820 (stereo headphones) and the DC800 (Home Stereo Adaptor) on sale. You pay for the Headphones and they throw in the Home Stereo adaptor for free. $99.00 value. The headset is remarkable. Excellent audio with easy to use controls. I have it linked to the new LG CU500 cell phone with easy to use MP3 files loaded. I am sure all you Razer fans with MP3 will love it as well.

Listen to music, a call comes in and a simple to reach button on the left side of the headset and I answer the call. Hang up the call and the music is back.

This thing rocks. Very comfortable for stereo headphones. The home stereo adaptor is also very cool. Hook to your sound source of choice, via easy RCA jacks and you have long range headphone capability. Mow the lawn, work on the car or just lounge in your chair and listen to whatever you have on your sound source. Awesome

I love this thing.