5.0 out of 5 stars Verizon's best phone, and a worthy competitor to the iPhone
UPDATED 5/14/2010 WITH COMPARISON TO NEW HTC DROID INCREDIBLE

If you're considering getting a Droid with Verizon, you should probably also consider the HTC Droid Incredible. I have one now and can tell you how they compare. (My wife's new-every-two came up and she kindly took my 6-month-old Droid off my hands so I could use her discount to get an Incredible...
Published on November 7, 2009 by Ron Cronovich

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent but not phenonomal
Pros:

* Physical Keyboard - Small and cramped, but perfect for someone who frequently hits the wrong keys with the on-screen one. It is also easier to hold the device when surfing the web. If you aren't a fast typer (as I am on phones) the complaints against the keyboard are less important.

* Weight - slightly heavier than an iPhone but it feels...
Published on November 23, 2009 by Christopher Tytler

‹ Previous | 15 6 721 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a GREAT phone!!!!, November 25, 2009
This review is from: Motorola DROID A855 Android Phone (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
If you are thinking about buying this phone...DO IT. This phone is simply great! Everything is SO easy to use, especially if you have a Google account. I use Google for everything and had recently backed up my contacts on my old phone using Google Contacts. As soon as I typed in my username and password all my contacts, calender, Google talk, and GMail was synced STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOX. The internet browser is also GREAT full HTML and is faster than the iPhone browser on Verizon's 3G network (I tested it).

The touch screen is GREAT. Very responsive, accurate, and sensitive. The auto-correct/suggestive typing provided with the phone is very very good. And there are lots of great free apps to choose from.

I have been meaning to good smartphone for a while and I am COMPLETELY satisfied. So happy I went with this phone over the Blackberry. The battery life is a little short. It won't last a whole day if you are using it a lot.

The menus also take a little getting used to and sometimes hard to navigate but these issues are really very minor. If I could I would have rated the phone 4 1/2 stars but, to be honest, the pros of this phone HUGELY outweigh the cons.

PROS: Ease of use, Synced to Google right out of the box, great features, free GPS and maps

CONS: Short battery life, Menus a little difficult to navigate.

5.0 out of 5 stars better than my blackberry curve, November 11, 2009
Motorola and Verizon have a winner in this phone. I have had it a few days and can report that it is a much better phone than my Blackberry Curve and more fun to use. The touch screen is great and crystal clear. Even the touch screen keyboard is nice. I do prefer an actual keyboard but this one does just fine for short messages. For the longer messages, I use the slide out keyboard. I have downloaded a few apps( ie weather, AP News and an Altimeter) and all of them run flawlessly with great graphics. A really fun feature is the Google Voice search. Push the search icon, press the microphone icon and say what it is you want to find ( grocery store, McDonalds, whatever...) and it finds the nearest ones to your location. Press " Get Directions" and it will give you turn by turn instructions. Very cool. I also setup my email, through AOL, to be picked up on this phone and it was very easy to do so I have only had this phone a few days but so far, I am in love. I really think this phone will give the iPhone a good run for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars A+, December 8, 2009
E. S. O. H. (Hazelhurst, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This little phone is FANTASTIC. I have been playing around with it for the last 3 weeks. If yu are in the market for a new phone I would get this one. Sure there are PROS and some CONS...... I hear there is an update comong very soon for the Android Operating system so I thinkk that will fix the bugs that some are whinning about... And dont forget its NEW, just came out in early November so I am sure it will just get better and better.

The app market is weak for now but it took apple's iPhone a while to itergrate all those apps to download. and some are very much useless...... like the Zippo Lighter App..... c'mon...... who the hell would use that but maybe 3 times....... fun but for pete's sake.

Give it a chance--- Its new!!!!!!!

Sound is awesome, GPS is cool and works Fantastic. I have a Google account and it syncs my online account right to my phone, love the calendar and everything it has to offer. I feel everything about this phone is COOL!!!!!! But as i said, I am sure there are some tech geeks out there that are going to "CON" something about this phone.

Oh well, enough of my 2 cents........

2.0 out of 5 stars Handy, Yet Problematic Keyboard, August 2, 2011
I received my first Motorola Droid in July of 2010. Out of the box, I loved the phone. It had a solid feel without being too heavy, and the slide for the keyboard was without wiggle or shift as many past sliders have been prone to. The touchscreen was reactive enough for me, although I noticed it seemed markedly LESS sensitive when unlocking the phone (although I suppose that could be placed in the "pros" column... it prevented a lot of pocket dialing.) Vibrant colors lit off the screen,the speaker was nice and loud, and the processor was FAST (please bear in mind that this was last year.)

I spent about two weeks in geeky gadget bliss.

Now, I've had five (FIVE) ??? of these phones in the past year. That's four warranty replacements. Let's run down what happened, shall we? The first phone lost call quality after about the third week, eventually it became impossible to speak to anyone because they all sounded like the adults from Peanuts. Wah-wah-wah-wh-wh-whaaaa... Returned the phone after some extensive troubleshooting, no problem.

Droid number two began developing keyboard issues almost immediately. Doouubbllee lleetttteerrss were the catch of the day. Returned the phone to a very apologetic Verizon.

Numbers three, four, and five... same issue. All within a month of owning the phone. Either I have the worst luck in the world, or the Droid's keyboard is a consistent failure. You be the judge.

Most recently, I was upgraded to the Motorola Droid X2, because the folks at Verizon were beginning to know me by name. That's a review for another time.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST PHONE EVER, May 19, 2010
This phone is amazing!!
It has everything I need and its true that "DROID DOES"

pro's: Very easy to use.. I have never really liked touch screen phones. I always feel like my fingers are too fat or something haha.. The Droid however has an awesome big screen and is very accurate. There is just about every app you could ever want in the android market and more come every day. The slid out full qwerty keyboard is awesome and very useful in long texts or emails.

con's: (before I list my con's id like to state that none of these are a problem to me but some might find them a bit of an annoyance)The phone is a bit heavy due to its all aluminum construction.. to me that just makes me feel like its built tough.. The battery life could be better. I have "rooted" my phone and overclocked the processor making it extremely fast but also kills the battery life.. stock processor speeds i have to charge about every 20 hrs of heavy use (browsing the web, watching youtube vids, playing games) the biggest drain on the battery is the screen so if you can adjust the brightness down I would.

All in all this phone is awesome and I wouldnt trade it for any iPhone, Nexus one, or DROID Incredible ever.... well maybe for a N1 lol

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST!, May 5, 2010
So glad I chose this over the iPhone. Also glad that I didn't choose the newer competitor DROID. This is an outstanding product. I actually love the physical keyboard and have found the dual processor really speed things up. This one is going to be the leader for a long time! Look out competitors, this is a well thought out design.

5.0 out of 5 stars Droid, April 15, 2010
Awesome phone. What else can I say? Although I am a tech junkee at heart (and an engineer), I have never owned a smart phone because I have enough to play with already. Moreover, as a rule I don't buy Apple because of the lack of flexibility and monopolization of their products. There are some bugs with the apps and it could possible have some minor ergonomic issues, but for the most part its perfect. I wish they had an application or feature where it was easier to answer a phone call such as a voice command or a double tap on the screen etc. The slide buttons require me to look down which is not so good when you are doing something else. It would also be cool if someone built a phone with a solar trickle charger in the extreme event you had nothing else. Also, the battery time would last much longer which is another small issue. If you are trying to decide whether or not you are going to buy this phone in lieu of something, I would say "BUY IT!". Relatively speaking, the $200.00 it took me to upgrade is not much, but of course you can get it cheaper from here.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Phone that keeps getting better.., April 13, 2010
This is by FAR the best phone I have ever owned. I am a loyal Verizon customer, since I know service from other carriers (cough::ATT::cough) is no where near as good.. atleast in my location in the Northeast. Which is why I refused to dig in for the notorious iPhone. Although I do not have an iPhone.. I do have a iPod Touch 2G 32GB, which is almost its equal (minus the texting, calling, etc.) And you may ask why I talk rubbish against competitors' services; it is because my family/close friends have ATT/Sprint/T-Mobile/Boost.. all of which they have complained about numerously with their dropped calls and lack of service in areas.
So, as for the phone itself, it is everything I could possibly want in a phone.
PROS:
-The display is BEAUTIFUL.. (more pixels than the iPhone)
-The Android OS is wonderful.. very easy to customize and to use.
-The Browser is fast and the best I have seen on a phone. (Yes, better than the iPhone's.. especially since the 2.1 update has multitouch to zoom, and still has the zoom in/out buttons on screen, which by the way, allows you to read text much better since it perfectly aligns the text on screen so you do not have to scroll left/right.)
-The 3G on this phone is almost as fast as WiFi.. and yes, I use both constantly.
-The GPS is the best GPS I've ever used, thanks to Google Maps. Better than Garmin and TomTom.. hands down.
-The App Store (Marketplace) is just as good, if not better than Apple's. I have an app that has every major TV show, every season, every episode. (app is called JetFlicks) I use it everyday at work.. Shhh! My boss hasn't caught on yet. (I'm watching Lost right now at work as I write this.) I also have atleast 50 other apps, most of them are free.
-The physical keyboard is a major plus.. at first I didn't like it or use it much.. now that I am use to it, I use it ALL the time. Very convenient.
-The camera is the best I've used on a phone.. the video recorder as well. Isn't a replacement for a real digital camera, but it definitely works for those times you don't have one in hand. 5MP is very good for a phone, in my opinion.
-Speakerphone and the regular listening to in-calls is superior to any other phone I've had.
Many other PROS.. but can't think of them right now.
CONS:
-Battery Life is a little low.. which is obvious since of the great display. I offset some of this using the Advanced Task Killer (free on the mktplace) and such.. but still burns pretty well. I bought another battery on Amazon for $10 to carry with me at times. Can't do that with the infamous iPhone..
-The phone is a bit heavy.. heaviest phone I have ever had, but this is most likely since it seems so sturdy. Its made of all metal and glass.
-Sometimes the phone lags when too many apps are running. It also needs to reboot sometimes by taking the battery in and out (this happens about once every 2wks.) Not a major problem in my opinion.
-The volume rocker can easily be touched, which is noted in many reviews I've seen.
To be honest, I can't think of any other Cons at the moment. I'm sure there might be a couple more, but nothing serious.

So what are you waiting for?! Go get the MOTO DROID!!!! DROID DOES (more than you think)!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A855 and purchase process, April 2, 2010
I am not going to say anything that hasn't been clearly written in the other reviews. The phone is great. No problems, actually pretty impressed. This is my first smart phone. My wife's first thought was it was heavy.
I wanted to write a note on how the approval/activation process worked when you purchase your phone with the plan from Amazon. You must submit your personal information for approval. As long as you are approved the purchase will go thru and you will get shipping status.
When you receive the phone you are to charge it. After it is charged there is a step by step for activation. My phones called the activation line for me. And that was it. At this point the phone is ready for use in accordance to your plan. I am stilling waiting for my first Verizon bill. Not sure how long it takes to get the first bill. Enjoy

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Utility Phone, March 30, 2010
I got the Motorola Android about 2 weeks ago, and I'm very happy with it.

I came from a BB storm that was fairly dependable, but sluggish and basically good for emails and phone calls. I had hoped the iPhone was coming to Verizon but since it didn't, I checked out the Droid, and I think I got a fair amount of the things that I wanted from an iPhone, and some things that aren't currently available on an iPhone.

I'm not saying it is better than an iPhone, or even as polished. But it definitely works for me.

I now have a phone that runs lots of useful apps (most of which cost nothing), integrates well with Google services, and is something I'd be unhappy to leave at home.

I use Gmail for my primary email account (and forward other email to my Gmail account), and checking, navigating, searching, categorizing, etc. my email from my phone is convenient and easy.

Google Voice integrates very well with this phone, even if you just want to use it to transcribe your voice mail and send the text to your email. I rarely have to sit and listen to dozens of voice mails anymore, just read through them and play the audio only when necessary (yay!).

Maps for navigation is outstanding, at least as long as you have a connection. I've used it several times on trips and gotten great results. While streaming music through Pandora, the turn by turn navigation would pop in and give the next set of directions, then go immediately back to the music :)

Voice recognition is usually amazingly good. I downloaded an app that made voice input available anywhere, but I understand that the upcoming 2.1 OS update is supposed to take care of this anyway.

Using the browser (I actually use the third party Dolphin browser, with multi touch support), is something I do many times a day. It is fast and quite usable - on my old phone I avoided using the browser except in rare circumstances.

Video is beautiful and performance makes viewing vids in hi def a feasible choice - I usually do this unless I'm somewhere with a weak signal (and that happens pretty rarely in my area luckily).

Recorded video looks and sounds pretty darn good for a smart phone, in my opinion. The camera interface is pretty basic, but I'm hoping for an update soon to take better advantage of the hardware.

I sometimes use the physical keyboard, but I find the on-screen keyboard more convenient usually, in landscape mode that is. In portrait mode I just can't hit the little on-screen keys reliably enough.

Apps - this is the one thing I missed the most on my old phone, and there are enough available for the Droid to soothe my iPhone envy. The ones like Shazam, barcode scanners, keyrings, that sort of thing that my iPhone bearing friends constantly showed off - there are versions of many of those apps for the Droid. With a nice bookreader app, a few games, fast browser etc. , I'm much less impatient waiting for the Dentist and such these days.

I mostly listen to Pandora for music, so I can't specifically speak to the complaints about the music player - it really does seem pretty basic though. I haven't really looked for a third party app for that yet, which is the first thing I would do if I started playing a lot of purchased music.

Battery - yeah, if I use the phone heavily without charging I will find myself low on power before the day is done. Usually it isn't a problem because when I'm at my desk or in my car I just plug in. But at some point I might consider an extended life battery or maybe just a backup.

Another point in favor of this phone is that my wife, who is kind of impatient with technology and really insisted that she just wanted to stay with her basic phone, is pretty hooked on her Droid too (I got her one at the same time that I got mine).

Bottom line is, if in a year Verizon gets the iPhone I'll actually have a decision to make - that is pretty surprising for me considering how badly I'd been hoping for that to happen.

‹ Previous | 15 6 721 | Next ›