5.0 out of 5 stars Verizon's best phone, and a worthy competitor to the iPhone
UPDATED 5/14/2010 WITH COMPARISON TO NEW HTC DROID INCREDIBLE

If you're considering getting a Droid with Verizon, you should probably also consider the HTC Droid Incredible. I have one now and can tell you how they compare. (My wife's new-every-two came up and she kindly took my 6-month-old Droid off my hands so I could use her discount to get an Incredible...
Published on November 7, 2009 by Ron Cronovich

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent but not phenonomal
Pros:

* Physical Keyboard - Small and cramped, but perfect for someone who frequently hits the wrong keys with the on-screen one. It is also easier to hold the device when surfing the web. If you aren't a fast typer (as I am on phones) the complaints against the keyboard are less important.

* Weight - slightly heavier than an iPhone but it feels...
Published on November 23, 2009 by Christopher Tytler

‹ Previous | 18 9 1021 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone I've ever owned, April 15, 2010
This review is from: Motorola DROID A855 Android Phone (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I, like many people, have been interested in an iPhone and almost left Verizon to get one when the DROID came out. I'm so glad I stayed and didn't leave...

The DROID is positively the best phone I've ever owned. It's everything I wanted out of the iPhone, but with a swappable battery and none of the apple-tax. This phone is as easy to use as the iPhone, but with all the bells and whistles that someone who's more technical could ever want.

Call quality is great, picture and video are amazing, and the app store has so far supplied me with every extension I've thought up for my phone. The full, physical keyboard was a must for me and while my big fingers do occasionally mis-type things it's not as bad as I thought it would be. The on-screen keyboard isn't terrible either. With the 2.1 update that was just released, the browser, gallery, and Google maps all now have multi-touch pinch-to-zoom support. The new gallery is great and it also links in my picasa web albums so I have direct access to all my pictures from picasa as well.

The best thing about it for me as well is that it links right into all of my google account, which means I can more easily manage my contacts, and I get to take gmail, gtalk, google voice, etc. everywhere I go.

Can't say enough great things about this phone. Just went in the last week and got my wife one as well and she's really been enjoying it. I would highly recommend ZAGG invisibleSHIELD for Motorola Droid (Screen) screen protector for it. It's a little tricky to install, but made the touchscreen experience much better and keeps smudges off the screen as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT PHONE - OVERALL, March 25, 2010
Maka Veli "Agent 006" (San-Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
The Motorola Droid, aka Milestone, aka A855, is an impressive device. Coming from the Blackberry (BB) Storm and BB Pearl interface, it was an easy transition in terms of user interface and user friendliness. Navigation was easy and simple. E-mail configuration was a walk in the park.

The simple things I've missed were the predefined codecs from BB. You cannot run .avi files unless you root your phone to grant you super user access or to install a third party media player.

The battery life is a bit short. You can try to calibrate the power consumption settings as best as you can; however, if your the kind of person who keeps their phone on 24/7, you need a charger or spare battery just in case.

The Android Market place was good enough but not that easy to help filter the best applications out.

Overall, its a great phone, especially for Amazon's new customer price.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Droid is not for Everyone, February 26, 2010
Amazon Customer (Rochester, New York USA) - See all my reviews
If you are a techie and can handle some fussing with your devices, then this is a great phone. I love it. However, it is not as idiot proof as an iPhone. It is a very powerful computer (something equivalent to a PIII) in a small handset. To get the most from it, you are going to have to spend some time setting up email accounts and corporate access, or even acquiring other 3rd party programs (for very cheap) to make up what the phone doesn't do out of the box. So if you just expect it to work, it doesn't. But it is much much more flexible than an iPhone, you just drag your music to the drive for example. Apple forces a look, feel, and interface (I hate iTunes) on you that is both easy to use and a straight jacket.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprising Easy To Use, February 17, 2010
I've always had good luck with motorola's and the droid is no exception. Considering all of the bells and whistles, it's surprising easy to use.

I really don't care that much for the keyboard and if you're someone who likes to text a lot you probably won't either.

Otherwise this is my favorite phone so far.
The screen is nice and large and the colors are so sharp. The reception is good and the sound is really nice and clear. As for the camera it's not bad but I prefer a digital camera over a cell phone camera any day.

Smart phones tend to run the battery down fairly quickly but if you remember to plug your phone in every night you shouldn't have any problems at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars iphones are for High School Kids, November 21, 2009
I wanted an iphone so bad... but verizon and I have been together through thick and thin and they always have been good and I am a big fan of customer loyalty if you treat me right. Droid has a big screen. Droid can talk to the real internet. Droid can store and play all your music. Droid can talk to your email, even free yahoo email (look online to see how to do it). The battery life is pretty good, and it feels like a real phone. Sadly heavy electronics are reliable electronics, cheap stuff is light. The applications are great and growing. What else could you ask for. The keyboard is a bit redundant in my opinion, but I am so happy with how fast the phone works. If you are undecided, suck it up and pay the money for a good phone. Buy it once, buy it right. You could spend less, but cheap stuff just breaks. WIth this phone you'll be happy, and thats what your money is for right?

5.0 out of 5 stars Equal to or better than iPhone, December 24, 2009
The good:
-Lots of apps and more coming
-5 mp camera
-great phone sound quality. much better than the iPhone
-excellent speaker phone
-fast response
-google maps turn by turn directions
-physical keypad is helpful at times

The bad:
-camera is slow to load and take pix
-battery drain is significant...not so bad as to make it impractical to use, but still an issue. bigger batteries are apparently on the way
-its a bit heavy though this doesn't bug me

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, November 13, 2009
This phone is amazing. I won't go into great detail because a few others have covered it well. Pretty sure that after the OTA update due out in early December I will have no complaints. Another plus is that if you by chance end up with a defective unit Verizon is great about replacing it. Not a single problem with mine. If you have specific questions you may want to check out [...] great site with tons of useful information for the android pro or beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars LoVe iT!!, May 12, 2010
I love my DROID....this phone is AweSomE!!, it has spoiled me 2 death with all it does. I'm always on it, I feel like a kid in a candy store knowing it's mine and on my hip @ all times..IDK why it took me so long 2get a smartphone, but I'm glad that I have one now. I am also a keyboard person, so having one was a must...I don't really care 4 the touch screen keypad, and I don't use the one on the DROID, I NEED 2 feel the keys if U will, lol...It's simply WonDerFul!!

I'm truly a HapPy CamPer!!

5.0 out of 5 stars No Risk, February 6, 2010
Ordering this phone and plan through Amazon saved a lot of money over going to the Verizon Wireless store and buying it there. The big catch is waiting 181 days to alter or adjust your plan... so be smart about what you want. Though I believe you can alter the plan up, and not down to avoid the $275 charge. So bottom line, if you know this is the phone, and plan you want, and it'll last for over 6 months. Do it. It's a helluva deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars So many apps, March 7, 2010
bought this about 2 weeks ago, on vacation now and I have to say is WOW. This phone rocks!! I got rid of my bb storm for this thing. There are so many applications out there for this product on the marketplace within the phone. The only complaint I have is the battery, I have to charge this thing twice aday because I'm such a heavy user. There are tons of applications out there, please see: [...] for further info.

‹ Previous | 18 9 1021 | Next ›