5.0 out of 5 stars Verizon's best phone, and a worthy competitor to the iPhone
UPDATED 5/14/2010 WITH COMPARISON TO NEW HTC DROID INCREDIBLE

If you're considering getting a Droid with Verizon, you should probably also consider the HTC Droid Incredible. I have one now and can tell you how they compare. (My wife's new-every-two came up and she kindly took my 6-month-old Droid off my hands so I could use her discount to get an Incredible...
Published on November 7, 2009 by Ron Cronovich

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent but not phenonomal
Pros:

* Physical Keyboard - Small and cramped, but perfect for someone who frequently hits the wrong keys with the on-screen one. It is also easier to hold the device when surfing the web. If you aren't a fast typer (as I am on phones) the complaints against the keyboard are less important.

* Weight - slightly heavier than an iPhone but it feels...
Published on November 23, 2009 by Christopher Tytler

‹ Previous | 18 9 1021 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, March 11, 2010
This review is from: Motorola DROID A855 Android Phone (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I love this phone it is great I have had it for several months now and continue to be amazed.

5.0 out of 5 stars So many apps, March 7, 2010
bought this about 2 weeks ago, on vacation now and I have to say is WOW. This phone rocks!! I got rid of my bb storm for this thing. There are so many applications out there for this product on the marketplace within the phone. The only complaint I have is the battery, I have to charge this thing twice aday because I'm such a heavy user. There are tons of applications out there, please see: [...] for further info.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving my Droid!, March 2, 2010
I won't go into all the specs because everyone else has. But coming from the iphone I finally think there is a smartphone good enough to challenge it. I was tired of unreliable calling from AT&T and went back to Verizon. After trying a Palm Pre Plus, it was a good phone but a little small in screen size (although beautiful) and could not hang with tiny keyboard. I exchanged it for the Droid and boy what a difference. I had my iphone jailbroken to customize, etc. The Droid does everything right out of the box! The google apps are awesome, including google voice, navigation (which is totally FREE) and one of my favorites is Google Sky where you can go outside at night and through your GPS location it maps out the names of stars and planets above you, very cool app. The Android Market is like the apps store with Apple except most of the apps are free or cheap, it is not bloated with a million useless apps, and the best part if its a paid app you try it for 24 hours and if you don't like it you uninstall it and are not charged for it, that alone is awesome! I honestly think you cannot go wrong with any Android phone, it's opening up a whole new direction to smartphones. I am thoroughly loving my Droid and am not even looking back. Sold my iphone last week without regret. You will love this phone. And if you are a gadget person, you can do so much with this phone that we could go on for days. So happy I made the decision to try it. I love this phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, good phone, February 28, 2010
Full disclosure: I work for Google and used the Droid while helping test it when I used to live in the San Francisco bay area (but I don't work for the Android team).

The pros:
1) screen resolution: the large 854 x 480 pixels screen is really nice to read long emails, articles and some games do a good job of taking advantage of the extra pixels.
2) speaker! I never thought I would say this but the Droid speaker is way, way, way better than any other phone speaker I have ever heard. Not the iphone, not the nexus one... no other phone on the market comes close.
3) software - iPhone wins UX-wise in my opinion, but for a power-user the Android OS is very difficult to beat. It could do better in terms of discoverability but there a lot of things that make it good for a power-user:
* Background processes - twitter, sports scores, blogs, IM, email, etc all refreshed in the background so when I am in a place with slow / no network I still have all the information that I need.
* Google Maps! Hands down the BEST geo app on any mobile platform. You have to use the turn-by-turn GPS directions to believe how good they are - and best of all the directions can work in the background. So I can use the droid to listen to music via the aux input in my car and know that Google Maps will tell me when my exit is coming up.
* Google Voice! The software I miss the most in the UK now. The beauty is that even I never remembered the phone number for my droid - along with all my contacts I just treated it as if it had the same number as my GV account. SMS, voicemail, outgoing calls (domestic & intl) - all worked flawlessly. Caveat: you need a data connection to use this seamlessly but Verizon took care of that way better than AT&T used to on my iPhone, Blackberry and Nexus One.
* Widgets - there is nothing like this on the iPhone (surprising given that they have widgets in Mac OS X's dashboard). Funnily, I think that widgets are useless on the Mac but I think they are almost indispensable on a phone.
* A2DP bluetooth support - for those of you that like bluetooth headphones (not just headsets but proper stereo headphones).
4) Network - Verizon simply kicks AT&T's ass.

The cons:
1) Keyboard layout - I am not a huge fan of physical keyboards but I don't mind them either. But I don't particularly care for the keyboard layout on the droid.
2) Camera - compared to the Nexus One the Droid's camera is disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Droid is not for Everyone, February 26, 2010
Amazon Customer (Rochester, New York USA) - See all my reviews
If you are a techie and can handle some fussing with your devices, then this is a great phone. I love it. However, it is not as idiot proof as an iPhone. It is a very powerful computer (something equivalent to a PIII) in a small handset. To get the most from it, you are going to have to spend some time setting up email accounts and corporate access, or even acquiring other 3rd party programs (for very cheap) to make up what the phone doesn't do out of the box. So if you just expect it to work, it doesn't. But it is much much more flexible than an iPhone, you just drag your music to the drive for example. Apple forces a look, feel, and interface (I hate iTunes) on you that is both easy to use and a straight jacket.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprising Easy To Use, February 17, 2010
I've always had good luck with motorola's and the droid is no exception. Considering all of the bells and whistles, it's surprising easy to use.

I really don't care that much for the keyboard and if you're someone who likes to text a lot you probably won't either.

Otherwise this is my favorite phone so far.
The screen is nice and large and the colors are so sharp. The reception is good and the sound is really nice and clear. As for the camera it's not bad but I prefer a digital camera over a cell phone camera any day.

Smart phones tend to run the battery down fairly quickly but if you remember to plug your phone in every night you shouldn't have any problems at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Droid over Storm - BIG YES!, February 15, 2010
Personally I think Verizon STINKS outloud!!!! BUT I get a discount through my employer so that is why I keep the service. My new every two came up in October '09 so I opted for the New Blackberry Storm; what a mistake. I hated the fact that I had to push down the key to get it to except it, which in turn made typing a complete pain because there was no keyboard to switch over to. Shortly after I got the Storm the Droid was released and since I was still within my exchange period and wanting to throw my Storm against the wall, I headed to Verizon and switched them. Bad part is Verizon now charges you $35 for changing your phone even if you are within the change period. Just another reason on my ever growing list of why I think Verizon stinks.

Well now I have the Droid and it is Most Excellent. The screen it big and very sharp, the colors are great but I wish that there were more themes to choose from, I am only interested in FREE ones so the choices are limited.

The touch screen is accurate and responsive, and very easy to use. It took me a little bit of playing with the keys to figure out how to move the icons off the screen but overall it is fairly easy to use.

The touch keypad works great and all you need to do is TOUCH the keys; unlike the Storm. I also like having the option of using the keyboard, however the touch key pad works so well that I rarely use the keyboard.

No problem viewing web pages and it is really easy to enlarge the screen and move around to read and see what you need to see.

I already had a Gmail account and it was easy to connect my Droid to my Gmail. Sending and receiving Email works great, no problems

I absolutely love the voice activated search and navigation, I have been out several times and needed directions and just picked up my phone and said "Navigate to..." and next thing I knew my Droid was telling me where to turn. Excellent.

The only downside is that Google maps do not always give the best route. A minor inconvenience compared to the convenience of not having to type in the information, especially when you are driving, no need to pull off the road to find a store and enter an address.

I paired up my Droid with my Plantronice Pro Voyager Headset and the two work great, call quality is good, and I have not had any complaints from people I am speaking with.

The 5 megapixel camera has a built-in flash. I have taken a few pictures inside and out, but would rate the camera as fair. I have a very nice Digital SLR so I do not really expect my phone to take quality pictures. I have used the camera on the phone to take some pictures of my dogs and of my kid making weird faces and it has been fine for those pictures. As long as you do not expect much from your camera on your phone then it is fine.
One negative for the Droid Camera is the lag time between pictures; once you snap a picture, you have to wait a couple seconds before Droid will let you take another. I have heard that this lag is common when taking pictures on cell phones but do not recall it being so long on my other phones, the Droid seems to take longer.

I have not yet shot any video clips with the Droid, so can't comment on their quality.

I am not really pleased with the phone calling feature, not the quality but the ability to access the phone feature. If you want to make a call you have to push the phone icon and if you hit the back button before you press End Call then your caller could be hanging on the line listening to you having a conversation and you don't even realize the phone is on. I prefer the send / end buttons on other cell phones.

The other feature that I do not really like is the sleep / hibernate mode; if the phone goes into sleep mode, touching the screen does not bring it out, you have to press the on off button or open the keypad.

Overall I really, really like the Droid and would recommend it to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Risk, February 6, 2010
Ordering this phone and plan through Amazon saved a lot of money over going to the Verizon Wireless store and buying it there. The big catch is waiting 181 days to alter or adjust your plan... so be smart about what you want. Though I believe you can alter the plan up, and not down to avoid the $275 charge. So bottom line, if you know this is the phone, and plan you want, and it'll last for over 6 months. Do it. It's a helluva deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Droid Does Is Right, February 2, 2010
The Motorola Droid is my second smartphone. My first was the HTC Fuze running Windows Mobile, and at the time, I was very happy to both get away from Verizon's 'app oppression' as well as their generally poor choice of phones. I've owned two RAZRs (a v3m and a v9m) and were happy with both, so even after the joy of HTC hardware and the disdain for AT&T's network, I was rather happy to return to a Motorola phone.

There are many important parts surrounding any cell phone purchase. One of the most important, is service. Verizon is currently the only carrier with the Droid in the United States. With that said, they also have some of the best coverage, as everyone by now is well aware of by their ad campaigns - and don't let AT&T fool you, at least where I live, Verizon is definately superior. And now that Verizon owns Alltel, there is even better CDMA coverage all around, especially where I am. Even though AT&T had just turned on 3G in my area a few months before I switched, I only had my Fuze for 9 months before dropping it for Verizon. And I was definitely not disappointed.

The phone. Many in the technical crowd know Verizon is notorious for locking down their phones, even Blackberries and Windows Mobile phones, locking app support and GPS capability in lieu of their own paid applications. However, the Droid is one of the first phones I can honestly say Verizon hasn't touched - the Marketplace has their own recommended app list, but there's nothing here holding the Droid back. Full application support, open GPS, open marketplace. This makes me happy to say I'm a Verizon customer.
On the phone side of the phone, the large display is absolutely beautiful, and more and more applications are supporting the large screen. The lack of call and hangup buttons still throw me off a little, but having the four basic 'buttons' on the screen make it simple and uncomplicated. The keyboard itself is another matter - I'm still a little disappointed with how flat the keyboard is, especially coming from such a wonderful one on the Fuze, but I've gotten used to it. Android has suprised me by how well the onscreen keyboard actually works, and while I can't shed the real one just yet I find myself able to use the onscreen keyboard rather often.
Service, 3G speed, and sound quality all excel on this phone. After having four different phones on Verizon I can definitely say this is one of the best I've used. I've never had a problem with my wireless, and contrary to a lot of discussion when the phone came out, Exchange sync works just fine even with the $30/mo. data plan.

I've also purchased the car dock, which brings me to Google Navigation. With my Fuze I used TomTom, which was very nice, despite having a hard time getting a signal with the GPS itself sometimes. However, in the Droid, I've almost always gotten a lock within 30 seconds even while stationary, and almost immediately while moving. Google Navigation has the most stylish design and the ease of use integration of Google Maps, and personally I think just the best looking maps all-around. My only problem with it is it's not for 'hardcore navigationists', that is, I've had it route me down a silly road when there was a better route I know I could take, but there isn't really a way to tell it to take that route. Of course, since it's just an application on the phone, there's no reason Google can't improve this in the future. I also enjoy using this for streaming audio, which works great in the car, or with Bluetooth headphones. I use the Motorola S305 Bluetooth Stereo Headset (Black) which I got from Verizon, and it works extremely well with this phone.

I am most definitely happy with my purchase, and it was totally worth the ETF to go from AT&T to Verizon.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great phone that is ten thousand times better than the iphone, December 29, 2009
First of all the droid has 2 virtual keyboards and a real keyboard; the ipone has olny one cramped virtual. Second the battery isn't sealed so if the battery burns out you don't have to buy a new phone just a new battery. Third since its a google phone, there is a very fast internet especially with verizon 3g network as the service. There is a quick search bar on the home page and a search button so that wherever you are you can search the options whether its contacts, apps, or pictures, or just the web instead of pressing back and reloading the whole page. And the back button: much easier if you are on th internet or contacts you can just press back and you are back at the contacts page, it is basicly the back button on the internet only it works anywhere. Also the options button brings you options wherever you are. Like if your on contacts you can press options and you can press delete contact, edit, and other things. Anywhere you are it has different opions related to where you are. Plus when you turn on the phone instead of a passcode there is a three by three grid of dots where you draw a pattern of four or more connecting dots which is suprisingly MUCH easier to remember than four numbers. I made my passcode and i have remembered it without checking it. And i changed it to more complicated pattern and i instantly remembered it along with my previous passcode. And the notification bar, genious! i just turn on my phone and without entering my passcode i see if i have missed calls, new texts or emails. And if i do i sign in and drag down the bar and touch the notification i want and it brings me to the source, if it is a missed call it brings me to the call log where i can see the message that was (hopefully) left and who called. If its a text it brings me to the messaging app where i see who texted me and what they said, same thing with chatting and email. the camera with zoom and a video camera is a added feature and the flash seems more nessecary with the flashlight app where the light shines very bright (its an led) so you can use it as a flashlight instead of the screen lighting up on the iphone (total failure). so overal i wouldhave given it 20 stars if i could. GET IT!!!

‹ Previous | 18 9 1021 | Next ›