Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on December 2, 2011
First thing I want to say is that this camera also works with the MBP33 baby monitor as well. We bought the MBP33 baby monitor for our 3 month old and we bought an additional camera to keep in our toddler's room. We are pretty happy with it so far. I love the two way communication function and the room temperature feature. My only complaint is that we keep the camera across the room on his dresser, and the night vision light is not very strong so we can not see clearly all the way to his bed. It is about 7 ft from the dresser to the bed. If we adjust the light contrast on the parent unit we can see, but it is pretty dark and grainy. We previously has a Summer Infant video monitor and did not have this problem at all, but then again, the night vision feature broke after 2 years on that monitor. We keep the other camera above the crib in our baby's room and haven't had any problems at all. Overall, we are happy with the monitor and the additional camera.
88 comments42 of 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 17, 2012
This camera was purchased for my Motorola MBP36 Baby Monitor which only comes with one camera. I needed a second camera for a new baby. Previous to purchasing the Motorola MBP36, I had used baby monitors from Levana, Lorex, MobiCam, Samsung, and Summer Infant (my search for the perfect one was a little excessive). This Motorola is one of the better ones I've used.

The setup was super-easy, and it worked flawlessly. It's the exact same camera that comes with the MBP36 set, so it swivels all around - tilts, pans and zooms nicely as advertised. It can be placed on a nightstand, and it can be mounted to the wall. I have both cameras mounted to the wall, about 7-8 feet away from the crib. The night vision is excellent. If you have the MBP36 unit with camera, you know exactly what you are getting. I was pretty happy with the purchase.

About a month into using the unit it started to slowly lose the night vision feature. At first it was barely noticeable so I dismissed it; but another month in, it became pretty obvious that night vision was failing. Night vision was still working on the original camera (after months of use), but not on this additional camera (only about a month use). I swapped the two cameras between the rooms and tested them to confirm, and verified that night vision was gone on the second camera only. I probably got a defective unit.

As night vision is one of the key features I needed, this camera became very inconvenient...it basically functioned only as an audio monitor for the second room at night.

Thankfully, because I ordered from Amazon and this camera falls under the baby products 365-day return policy, Amazon replaced it at no charge. Order from Amazon if you want the peace of mind of a 365-day return guarantee. If you want 20% off the retail price, buy with a coupon from BBB, if there is one near you. I believe BBB has a good return policy as well.

I gave it 4-stars because the replacement is working well. I assume that the first camera I received was defective. If this replacement camera fails also, I will write an update to this review and revise the rating.
55 comments29 of 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 19, 2013
This is great for 2 kids....only reason I gave 4 stars instead of 5 is that it would be even better with a split screen to see both kids at once. I understand volume would be a problem then. Love how you can pan the room - especially for my mobile 2 year old! Quality image - glad we finally found a good monitor for next few years.
on August 13, 2014
Works like a charm to cover both areas of house. This is the second camera we have to go with our monitor unit and it's great. Can switch between cameras anytime and set monitor to SCAN -- which flips between each camera every 10 seconds.
on November 21, 2014
We bought this as an additional camera for our original set. Very easy to set up, although the long chords these come with is kind of a hazard in a child's room. Wish there was another way to power this item. Otherwise, it works well and as expected - night vision is great and can see my child well. Love having two since we have two little ones and we can scan both cameras since they are currently not sharing a room (they wake each other up)
on January 6, 2013
I bought this baby monitor camera for my second child's room. The IR light on the first one I had burned out. To salvage my first Motorola baby monitor, I purchased (from Amazon) the Clover Electronics IR045 Night Vision IR Lights with 60-Feet Range - Small (Black) to provide an IR light source and a Skylink WS-100/WS-100N Wireless Remote Control switch to wirelessly turn on and off the IR light source.
on September 11, 2015
Great additional camera. Very clear! Perfect for its use!!
on November 6, 2015
I own three of these cameras and have to say I'm pretty disappointed given the nameplate and price point. I purchased the MBP36 and an extra camera a little over three years ago and the third camera about 18 months ago. The battery has already been replaced on the parent unit, which for Ni-Cd batteries isn't surprising. Batteries+ was able to match it to a cordless phone battery and it's been fine since. But of the three cameras, two are virtually useless in the dark. I've read numerous reviews about the "night vision" going out. The problem isn't with the CMOS sensor. Motorola either used really shoddy Infrared LEDs or the outfit that slapped them together phoned it in. Either way, I got a wild hair last night and decided to get out my Armasight Spark night vision monocular just to see if I could confirm my suspicions. The camera that came with the MBP36 has five of the nine IR LEDs working, camera two has three of nine working and the newest has lost one LED so far.

With the price tag of the MBP36 plus two additional cameras, I'm into this getup for some serious coin. For the price of one of these cameras you could buy a few el cheapo Wi-Fi PTZ cameras that probably won't perform any worse. Plus you have the benefit of using just about any smartphone/tablet/computer as your monitor and be able to set up access from the outside world. One of my biggest complaints about MBP36 from the get go was for the price I really expected to be able to hook it to a computer or something so I could check on the little ones while we're out.

Bottom line: save your money, channel your inner nerd, grab a couple of landfill destined Chinese WiFi cameras, a Raspberry Pi 2, sudo apt-get motion, earn some geek street cred.
on April 5, 2014
When it was time for my second child, I already owned a Summer Infant video baby monitor that did not allow you to add a camera. We did not love it. In fact, we had to contact Summer Infant within the first year because the video that had started as very clear became so grainy you could only make out a child-like outline on the monitor. Although the customer service was not fantastic (they wanted me to go without a unit for 2 weeks in order to replace it), we were willing to try again. So we bought another Summer Infant monitor and camera, but we couldn't get it to work. We exchanged it for another, and the same problem. We guessed that both of the monitors did not play well with each other. So we decided to look for something new.

I read all the reviews I could find and tried a different Summer Infant monitor, a Samsung monitor and finally this the Motorola MBP36 monitor and camera. We also purchased an extra camera. We have now had the Motorola for almost a year and the picture quality is great. We do not have an issue with interference and we like having the option of talking to our toddler through the camera instead of running upstairs.

Recently, however, we began having issues with the monitor and found that it would randomly stop working. I had read some bad reviews of Motorola customer service, so I pulled out the original box and documentation and prepared to have a difficult conversation, but I was pleasantly surprised. I provided the customer service representative with all of the information she asked for and I was informed that Motorola does not repair the units but that they would ship another unit out to me. In return, I just needed to use the pre-paid label and ship my old camera and unit back. This was a much better experience than Summer Infant who originally refused to ship me a new unit until they received my old unit. (It was only after two more phone calls and a credit card that they agreed to ship the new monitor to me without receiving my old one first).
on February 14, 2014
We have used several different video baby monitors and this one takes the cake! We have one camera in each of our two kid's bedrooms synced to the monitor. We usually have it set to scan between the two (switches cameras every 8 seconds or so) but can quickly and easily be changed to look at either. I love the volume adjustment (very quiet to blasting loud and lots of intervals between), and the parent talk feature. A couple quick cons: 1) the audio on each camera will occasionally bug out (each one will do it about once a month), but I've found just turning off and then turning on the offending camera fixes this. The video has never failed, just the audio. 2) the battery life isn't stellar but perhaps we abuse it by turning the display on to check the kids often...the battery will start to die on us if unconnected to the power supply after 3 or 4 hours if set to scan between the two cameras and we've been hitting the display button semi-often (the display automatically turns off after a couple minutes to save power, which is nice. The audio stays on even when the display is off). We solved this by getting a second power supply for our living room (for when the kids are asleep but we're staying up late) which Motorola provided for free (their customer support is AMAZING!).

Would definitely choose this video monitor system again, even with the couple small issues I have with it and the price. I would also choose this model over the one that doesn't pan/tilt. Worth the cost in my opinion.

Additional Note: When I was shopping for a video monitor, I thought I wanted the audio for all cameras on at all times, even though the video was switching between feeds. Now that I've had this I know better. It is nice to be able to hear only one room, especially when the kid in the other room is singing herself to sleep or what-have-you.