Redefining the tablet by providing more ways to have fun, connect with friends and stay productive on the go, the Motorola XOOM for Verizon Wireless boasts a dual core processor with each core running at 1 GHz, 10.1-inch widescreen HD display, and 3G connectivity (which can be upgraded to 4G in coming months). Winner of the Best of Show award at the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show (CES), the XOOM also offers support for Adobe Flash Player--enabling you to view the web without compromise.
Dual-core processing, Android 3.0 Honeycomb platform, and 10.1-inch HD multi-touch display (see larger image).
It runs Google's Android 3.0 Honeycomb operating system, which offers a multi-touch, holographic user interface that improves on Android favorites such as widgets, multi-tasking, browsing, notifications and customization. It also offers the latest Google Mobile innovations, including Google Maps 5.0 with 3D interaction, access to over 3 million Google eBooks and Google Talk with video and voice chat.
The Motorola XOOM features a front-facing 2-megapixel camera for video chats over Wi-Fi or 3G/4G LTE via Google Talk, as well as a rear-facing 5-megapixel camera that captures video in 720p HD. The 10.1-inch display delivers console-like gaming performance on its 1280 x 800-pixel display, and it features a built-in gyroscope, barometer, e-compass, accelerometer, and adaptive lighting for new types of applications.
Other features include a 32 GB internal memory, memory expansion via optional microSD cards (with future software upgrade), Wireless-N Wi-Fi networking with Mobile Hotspot capabilities, Bluetooth for hands-free devices and stereo music streaming, access to personal and corporate e-mail, HD 1080p video playback, HDMI output for connecting to a compatible HDTV or monitor, and a 3250 mAh battery for up to 10 hours of Wi-Fi internet browsing.
Upgradeable to 4G LTE Mobile Broadband
The Motorola XOOM will offer 3G/Wi-Fi-enabled connectivity at launch. Verizon Wireless will offer a free upgrade to its 4G LTE Mobile Broadband network in the coming months (learn more about 4G below). When upgraded, the XOOM's 4G LTE connectivity will enjoy speeds up to 10 times faster than Verizon Wireless' 3G network. Verizon Wireless' 4G LTE Mobile Broadband network currently reaches one-third of all Americans, with plans to expand the network to the company's entire 3G coverage area over the next three years.
Android 3.0 Honeycomb
Specifically optimized for devices with larger screen sizes such as tablets, the Android 3.0 platform (dubbed Honeycomb) introduces a brand new, truly virtual and "holographic" UI design. Five customizable Home screens give you instant access to all parts of the system--no matter what screen or app you're in--and each Home screen offers a familiar launcher for access to all installed applications, as well as a Search box for universal search of apps, contacts, media files, web content, and more.
Multitasking in Android 3.0 is easier than ever, and you can use the Recent Apps list in the System Bar to see the tasks underway and quickly jump from one application context to another. You'll even see a snapshot of the last screen viewed in that app as a visual reminder. The Android onscreen keyboard has also been redesigned to make entering text fast and accurate on larger screen sizes.
Other features in Android 3.0 Honeycomb include:
A Complete Web Experience, with Support for Adobe Flash
- Scrollable and stacked widgets let you scroll or flick through content within the widget itself, on the home page, without opening the application.
- Unobtrusive notification system displays icons for different notifications (messages, downloads, system updates, etc.) in the lower right corner. Just touch the digital time display to open the entire notification panel.
- Redesigned YouTube application with a cool 3D gallery.
- Android Market for Android 3.0 is your one-stop-shop for eBooks, games, and applications.
With Android 3.0, the Motorola XOOM provides support for Adobe Flash, delivering a complete web experience to help you explore, discover, and interact. You'll enjoy more satisfying social networking, games, streaming video and more, with all the animations you expect.
For working on the go, the Motorola XOOM provides constant connectivity--including connecting to Gmail or Exchange email; opening and editing documents, spreadsheets and presentations; and viewing calendars and sending out appointments or meeting notices--with mobile broadband speeds. Its mobile hotspot capability provides an online connection for up to 5 other Wi-Fi-enabled devices. Open documents, spreadsheets and presentations, edit them on a virtual QWERTY or optional Motorola Bluetooth Wireless keyboard, and send them back lightning fast.
Optional speaker dock (see larger).
Power Accessories beyond the Charger
The Motorola XOOM has a wide range of optional accessories to expand its power and capabilities. The "smart docks" are no longer just a place to charge your device; they make Motorola XOOM a portable play and work station that fits your lifestyle. The Standard Dock can be used for watching video content or listening to music through external speakers as the device charges. The Speaker HD Dock allows you to send HD content directly to your TV or blast your tunes without attaching external speakers.
- Fast 3G connectivity thanks to the reliable Verizon Wireless EV-DO, Rev A network.
- Upgradeable to ultra-fast 4G LTE connectivity via the Verizon Wireless 4G Mobile Broadband network, with expected download speeds of 5 to 12 Mbps and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps. See more about 4G LTE below.
- Onboard GPS for navigation and location services.
- Integrated Google Maps with turn-by-turn navigation, street and satellite views.
- Ultra-fast Wireless-N Wi-Fi networking (802.11b/g/n) for accessing home and corporate networks as well as hotspots while on the go.
- Mobile Hotspot capability allows you to create a Wi-Fi hotspot using your Verizon Wireless 3G/4G LTE connection, which can then be shared among up to 5 Wi-Fi-capable devices.
- Bluetooth connectivity (version 2.1) includes profiles for communication headset, hands-free car kits, and the A2DP audio streaming Bluetooth profiles.
| || |
Communications & Internet
- Video chat on Google Talk with any other Google Talk-enabled device (smartphone, tablet, or PC).
- Access to personal and corporate e-mail (including support for Exchange and push Gmail).
- Desktop-like web browser (HTML5-based Android Webkit) with tabbed browsing and Chrome bookmark sync.
Design and Hardware
- 1 GHz dual-core NVIDIA Tegra 2 processor enables web browsing at unprecedented speed and accelerated multi-tasking.
- Integrated NVIDIA graphics delivers smooth, full frame-rate 1080p HD video playback
- 1 GB of DDR2 RAM
- 10.1-inch multi-touch HD display (1280 x 800 pixels; 150p per inch) with native 720p video playback and pinch-to-zoom navigation.
- Onscreen keyboard
- 32 GB internal memory
- Memory expansion via microSD card slot with support for optional cards up to 32 GB (functionality requires future software upgrade).
- 5-megapixel rear-facing camera for optimized resolution when capturing photos on the go. Includes dual-LED flash, auto-focus, and digital zoom.
- 2-megapixel front-facing camera for video chats. Includes indicator light when used.
- HD 720p video capture capabilities
- Instantly upload video to sharing sites or view and edit on the fly.
- Music player compatible with MP3 and AAC/AAC+/eAAC+
- Video player compatible with MPEG4 and H.264/H.263
- HDMI audio/video port enables you to output pictures, slides and videos in HD quality (1080p) via HDMI cable (sold separately).
- Micro USB port (not for charging)
- 3.5mm headphone jack
- Data encryption ensures the privacy and security of data on your tablet.
The Motorola XOOM weighs 25 ounces and measures 9.81 x 6.61 x 0.51 inches. Its 3250 mAh lithium-ion battery is rated at up to 10 hours of video playback, up to 10 hours of Wi-Fi web browsing, up to 90 hours of 3G web browsing, and up to 3.3 days of MP3 playback. It has a standby time of up to 14 days (336 hours) and an approximate 3.5-hour charge time. It runs on the CDMA 800/1900 frequencies as well as EV-DO, Rev A 3G frequencies. This device can also be upgraded to the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network in the coming months. What's in the Box
Motorola XOOM handset, charger, data cable, quick start guide, user manual
Verizon Wireless Mobile Broadband Network
With support for the 3G EV-DO high-speed data standard, you'll enjoy fast access to the Internet and Verizon Wireless multimedia services (additional charges applicable), with average download speeds ranging from 400 to 700 Kbps and peak rates up to 2 Mbps.
Note: The Motorola XOOM runs on the Verizon Wireless 3G network right out of the box. 4G LTE Network
The Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network allows you to download photos, apps, and games in seconds and entire movies in minutes. LTE (or Long Term Evolution provides significantly increased upload and download speeds over 3G networks, as well as significantly reduced latency (or lag time). Verizon Wireless expects 4G LTE average data rates to be 5-12 megabits per second (Mbps) on the downlink and 2-5 Mbps on the uplink in real-world, loaded network environments.
With these blazing fast speeds, you'll be able to stream HD movies without the annoyance of constant pauses to buffer the video stream--as well as quickly download HD-quality movies right to your phone in minutes. Additionally, you'll be able to download a new song file in about 4 seconds or upload a photo to your favorite social networking site in about 6 seconds.
The Verizon Wireless 4G LTE mobile broadband network will also redefine the mobile office for business users. Business applications that used to require wired networks will be untethered forever, allowing you maximized productivity and efficiency while you're out of the confines of your office. Enhanced security lets you tap into most VPN networks with less waiting, and faster responsiveness enables you to upload 10 MB presentations back to your team in less than 25 seconds.
Note: The Motorola XOOM is not compatible with the 4G LTE network out of the box, but it will receive a free 4G LTE upgrade in the coming months.
Also Available for This Android Device
| || |
Amazon Appstore for Android
Get a great paid app for free every day.
| || |
Buy a book once and read it everywhere with our free Kindle Reading App for Android.
| || |
Shop 15 million songs and stream your Cloud Drive music directly from your Android device.
| || |
Find local movie showtimes and TV listings, watch trailers, and search the world's largest source of entertainment information.
| || |
Download audiobooks directly to your Android device, then listen wherever you go, get audiobook news, earn badges, and more.
| || |
Shop for millions of products, get product details, and read reviews--right from your mobile device.