5.0 out of 5 stars You won't ever look back.
A bit of context, just so you know where I'm coming from on this...

- I upgraded from a Motorola Backflip. The best Android phone AT&T had to offer at the time, but I'd had enough of the ridiculously slow processor.

- Rather than wait another 8 months to renew my contract, I took an exclusion renewal, so I got the Atrix for only about $100 under...
Published on March 16, 2011 by D. Hoelck

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Cautions
This is a wonderful phone with great specs. There is one thing that may not be apparent based on the description:

Although it is a 4G phone, AT&T currently limits the upload speed to 300Kbs. This actually limits the download speed to 1.5Mbs or so. What has angered the community is that the same limit is not applied to the IPhone 4 (which gets 5X faster...
Published on March 1, 2011 by David A. Guth

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 420 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars not bad, but no iPhone killer, March 12, 2011
This review is from: Motorola Atrix 4G Android Phone (AT&T) (Electronics)
I've had the phone for 1 1/2 weeks now and I'm fairly happy with it. Coming from the iPhone 4 and Samsung Focus, I find that the customizability of Android to be a refreshing experience but found the hardware to be lacking. Here are my main complaints:

Phone build : The whole thing is plastic but has a nice heft to it. There is some play between the rear battery cover and the phone on the unit I received. This causes the phone to squeak when you squeeze it while holding with one hand; it's annoying and the phone is definitely not the same quality as the iPhone 4 but about par with the Focus.

Pentile screen: The pentile screen is almost as good as RD on the iPhone 4 but not quite. I can't see the individual pixels when reading text in Google reader with the phone about 2' away, but they are visible if I hold the phone 1' away. "Dithering" caused by the pentile screen is also apparent depending on the content being viewed. I can barely notice the dithering when looking at still pictures or not scrolling in the web browser, but dithering is pretty bad when playing games or scrolling in the browser.
Screen ratio: The screen is longer and narrower than most other smartphones. The extra vertical real-estate reduces the need for scrolling. 16x9 video seems to fill out the screen better, less black boarders when compared to iPhone 4.

HW capacitive buttons: I found that when holding the phone with one hand, I either have to hold the bottom half so my thumb can reach the hw capacitive buttons, or I have to hold the top half of the phone so my thumb can reach the notification tray. I don't like the placement of the capacitive buttons, I think it's a side effect of having a "taller" screen.

Battery life: Battery life is hit or miss. I definitely get less usable hours per day than my iPhone 4. I have very similar usage pattern on both the Atrix and iPhone 4 and uses mostly the same apps. I have the same number of email accounts set to push and the same social apps with notification turned on. After 5 days of normal discharge/recharge, I drained the battery and let it charge up completely. I now get about ~13 hrs of use from a single charge on the Atrix (gradually increased from 6 on the first day), compared to ~20 hrs on my iPhone 4. I noticed that some apps on Android uses polling instead of push notification like their iOS counterpart. For example both FaceBook and Twitter is setup to poll for new content/msg.

Overall I think I'm an Android convert and will be keeping the Atrix after several generations of iPhone and iOS devices.

5.0 out of 5 stars favorite phone i've ever owned., June 12, 2012
this phone is a year old and it's STILL amazing. it's 6 months older than the iphone 4s and still faster and overall better. has a super unique fingerprint unlock that i've never seen in any other phone. my ONLY complaint is the build quality. not to say it's bad in any way. just could be a tiny bit better. it's a phone that really has everything. hdmi, finger scanner, sd card slot, 4g, dual core. HIGHLY recommend this.

4.0 out of 5 stars motorola finally with a good phone, March 12, 2011
This review is from: Motorola Atrix 4G Android Phone (AT&T) (Electronics)
love to have this phone and take it everywhere i go my favorite phone so far.

The hardware of the Atrix 4G is notable for a number of reasons, not the least of which is design. The body of the phone is largely plastic, but don't let that bother you too much -- it's put together so solidly that it feels like a much pricier material. The handset measures 2.5 inches wide by 4.63 inches long, and just 0.43 inches thick, which means that the Atrix is nearly as thin as the iPhone 4 -- quite a feat considering how much horsepower is packed inside. The phone probably gains a little of its solidness via its weight, which clocks in at a not-feathery 135 grams (about 4.8 ounces) -- and we like that a lot.

Like most slate phones, the front of the device is nearly all screen, save for the familiar Android buttons along the bottom, and the front-facing camera and earpiece up top. Along the top rear of the phone is a power / sleep button which just happens to be a fingerprint scanner too, and the 3.5mm headphone jack. Along the right side of the phone is the volume rocker (easily accessible with your thumb during calls if you're right handed). On the left side you'll find the Micro USB and HDMI ports. Around back, the stylishly patterned casing is broken by the 5 megapixel camera with LED flash, and a speaker along the bottom of the phone.

As far as truly unique hardware goes, the fingerprint scanner seems fairly novel -- but in practice it's a little frustrating. It does work as advertised, but being told to re-swipe your finger if it doesn't take when you're trying to get into the phone quickly can be a little bothersome. Unless you really need the high security, a standard passcode will suffice for most people.

Fingerprint scanner quibbles aside, the Atrix 4G is one of the better looking Android devices we've had a chance to use. We would have liked to see higher quality materials in play here, but despite the housing, the phone comes off as both sleek and rugged -- a great combo for something that will likely be doing double (if not triple) duty in your connected world. From an industrial design standpoint, this device more than holds its own against the the best of the best on the market right now.

1.0 out of 5 stars Touch Screen/Proximity Sensor Issues, October 26, 2011
J.S. (Bryant, AR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Motorola Atrix 4G Android Phone (AT&T) (Electronics)
Bought the phone in May 2011, and by the end of October the touch screen started acting strange. The phone randomly senses a touch aka ghost touching. The touch screen was replaced and that did not fix the problem. The issues include random touches, dead places on the screen (particularly the notification section at the top), randomly dropping finger drags using Swype, will start jittering between panels, home/back/search buttons at bottom become unresponsive. Because this issue is constant it makes the phone unusable.

Based on feedback from other users on this issue, it is a Motorola defect. Would suggest those looking for a phone to pass over this one and not buy.

Loved the phone up until this issue arose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, wow and lots more wow..., April 21, 2011
This review is from: Motorola Atrix 4G Android Phone (AT&T) (Electronics)
I have so many good things to say about this phone, so I'll only write about the things that are wrong with it. i.e. lets' get critical. As of my writing this on 4/20/11 there is an issue with charging performance in the car dock. I'm using the OEM Motorola ECOMOTO Rapid Rate vehicle power adapter (850 mAH) with dual USB ports. You can tell this USB charger is a good product just by the weight of the thing! A test charge began at 7:45 AM and the phone's charge was 20%. At 9 AM 30% and 10:30 AM 40%. This is obviously nothing like the wall charger so it makes me believe that the phone is powered by the charger while docked plus receiving a trickle charge. Conneting the phone directly to the USB car charger (without the car dock) using a stock USB to micro USB charging cable, at 8:00 AM the phone was at 20%, 8:20 AM 40%, 9:00 AM 70% and 10:00 AM 100%. What a contrast!! So there is an issue with charing performance while in the car dock. I'll be reporting this to Motorola and would expect them to address with a firmware update on the Atrix phone or a recall on the car dock, depending how they device their solution. You can say you read it here first as from what I know, this has not been reported on any forums yet.

Another issue that I have identified, is that when setting MOTOblur to only update only wifi, this does not stop the phone from performing updates to Social Networking, in fact there does not appear to be a way to enable/disable or manually refresh Social Networking. Setting MOTOblur to update only over wifi, seems to only disable syncing for the FB, linkedin, MySpace, Twitter inbox. THe only way to stop the phone from using data for these services si to turn Data off on the phone. THis then forces the phone to only use wifi, when available.

Again, this review was intended to be written as a critical review. The list of reasion to have this phone is endless. As you can see, the list of reasons not to have this phone is pretty short! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome phone, April 18, 2011
This review is from: Motorola Atrix 4G Android Phone (AT&T) (Electronics)
I just went from the 2g flip phones to this phone, my wife choose an iphone 4. (I also had a 3rd gen ipod touch) In keeping with previous reviewers that compared the Atrix to the Iphone 4, I will tell you that side by side the Atrix blows it away. Being able to customize your phone with Android is a huge benefit that you cannot get with the iphone. Plus my GPS receiver seems to be better than her's. Another big difference is the Atrix car dock (buy this now on Amazon). If you own this phone and drive you must buy the $50 dock.
I drive a lot in the DC area where navigating is a pain. With the car dock, Atrix and blue tooth my experience is awesome.
Pro: The phone is fast
Battery lasts all day as long as you don't have bluetooth, GPS and wifi on at all times.
Customizable
car / vehicle dock

Con:
Will freeze / crash once a week or so, but I just restart it and everything is fine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stutters with Pandora and other music, October 10, 2011
This review is from: Motorola Atrix 4G Android Phone (AT&T) (Electronics)
I ordered an Atrix with high hopes and was one of the first Android phone owners, the HTC G1. Since then I've been an iPhone user now for a couple of years and was in the mood to go back to Android and the Atrix seemed like a well reviewed phone to go with. However this was not the case for me and how I use the device. The Atrix with nearly any other application running in the back ground will stutter and skip on both streaming music and locally played MP3 files to the point of absurdity. I had the phone for two weeks trying to resolve the issues, performing factory resets and installing and reinstalling applications and posting on forums to resolve the issue. In the end I sent it back disappointed and chose not to waste my upgrade on my phone. If you are a power user and expect to stream music via Pandora I expect that you will be very disappointed with the Atrix as well.

The Atrix has a serious issue with music playback that has been well documented by user groups online and on Motorola's support forums. It's unfortunate that Motorola will not address the problem or even comment on the issue in their own support forums and this speaks volumes of Motorola's support. I would suggest you read up on these issues before burning your upgrade to get an Atrix. At this point the Atrix community only has a new kernel install to address the problem which voids your warranty and can brick your phone if a mistake is made.

In my opinion there are other Android devices more worth your time if you are a fan of streaming music.

See Motorola support forums here:
[...]

Atrix Owners Forum here:
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Android Phone to date !!!, March 1, 2011
This review is from: Motorola Atrix 4G Android Phone (AT&T) (Electronics)
I am android user since start. Started with G1 and Nexus One ( all on AT&T without contract and payed full price :-( ). This is my 3rd android phone. I didn't need a new phone, nexus one was so cool. But I wanted to feel the Nvidia tegra 2 and $149 with contract wasn't a bad deal. Jumped on to this cool device.
Pros:
- Best Android phone. Highest resolution in the android bandwagon.
- Blazingly fast !!
- Good build quality
- Nice to add a HDMI cable with the phone, so you can watch the videos and photos from your cellphone in your big screen.
- Comes with DLNA app, so you shoot your media from your phone to TV wirelessly !!!

Cons:
- Phone is extremely slippery in my hands. Got used to the rubberized feel of Nexus One. It slipped out of my hands few times. Better to put a silicon sleeve or something.
- It doesn't have Amoled so videos won't popout as in Samsung or Nexus one, but is pretty nice.
- Moto blur :-(. But for someone who has used only stock android for 2+ years, moto blur is annoying.

By the way it beats my wife iPhone4 phone easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best and fastest phone on the market - leaves iPhone4 in the dust, February 22, 2011
This review is from: Motorola Atrix 4G Android Phone (AT&T) (Electronics)
Android is here to stay and this phone is probably best suited for the OS. Version is upgradable when flash will be available for the newer Android version. Ordered a laptop dock bundled along with the phone from another online vendor and is $50 cheaper than AT&T and does not require a tethering plan. For someone who wants a powerful tablet but does not want to spend a lot or someone on the go or both this combination seems to be the best in the market at the moment.
iPhone4 is buggy and expensive and does not offer 1/2 of what Atrix can offer. Compare the specs and you will see why this is the king of all smart phone offerings at the moment. Laptop Dock makes the difference between the Duo core 1 Ghz phones coming to market, this phone will remain current for the next 2-3 years in the market.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't recommend it, December 28, 2013
Let me start by saying, the Motorola Atrix has everything I was looking for in a phone. The screens are easy to navigate. I can customize the home screen and quick keys for easy access to the things I use the most. It takes decent pictures which (when it works) are easy to share via facebook, text, email, Bluetooth, etc. HOWEVER, the phone constantly freezes up during any task. We got 3 of them for our family and they all have the same flaws. My husband, literally, was having a heart attack and while he was calling 911 the phone froze. He had to remove the battery and restart it to call an ambulance!!! He made it to the hospital in time, by the way. I sent Motorola a letter and they replied (basically), "I'm sorry to hear that." The photo gallery stops working probably 60% of the time when I'm sharing, modifying, or arranging photos. You tube videos often will not play. The batteries rarely last 24 hours and will sometimes rapidly drain and die. I carry an extra battery at all times. I have even tried removing and/or stopping every app on the phone and it still acts crazy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 420 | Next ›