5.0 out of 5 stars You won't ever look back.
A bit of context, just so you know where I'm coming from on this...

- I upgraded from a Motorola Backflip. The best Android phone AT&T had to offer at the time, but I'd had enough of the ridiculously slow processor.

- Rather than wait another 8 months to renew my contract, I took an exclusion renewal, so I got the Atrix for only about $100 under...
Published on March 16, 2011 by D. Hoelck

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Cautions
This is a wonderful phone with great specs. There is one thing that may not be apparent based on the description:

Although it is a 4G phone, AT&T currently limits the upload speed to 300Kbs. This actually limits the download speed to 1.5Mbs or so. What has angered the community is that the same limit is not applied to the IPhone 4 (which gets 5X faster...
Published on March 1, 2011 by David A. Guth

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 520 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast Phone and a Good Battery, October 31, 2011
This review is from: Motorola Atrix 4G Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I got this phone and immediately loaded Advanced Task Killer so that I could stop all running apps when not in use. with that done the phone is lightening fast and the battery lasts well past the 18 hours I have it off the charger. I have it getting email, weather, txt constantly and play games at lunch and breaks. I could do without motoblur, but after the 2.3.4 update, that isn't much of an issue. Couldn't be happier.

2.0 out of 5 stars screen problems, not poweing up, October 6, 2011
O. C. Namli (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I liked this phone; after having used 3g for 2somehting years, this phone gave me the same feeling with a lot better speed. However the day I started to use I had the screen problems. the screen started not to turn on when someone is calling or when I press the power button. I felt that I need to contact with amazon about this and they sent me an replacement overnight... unfortunately I had a similar but worse problem with the replacement too... the power up/wake up didn't work after a while, I tried everything recommended, resetting, uninstalling applications, using with out a simcard, however the problem kept happening. I sent the seconf one today and not asking for an other replacement since I think either I am doing something wrong or this phone is not really reliable. There is no certain troubleshooting available about the issue. Too bad I have to wait for Amazon to reset my upgrade eligibility from att, return shipping takes a week, and recovering the upgrade will be done as soon as they received the phone, or maybe within 72 hours. just consider all these when you are buying a phone online. I gave 2 stars since I liked the phone in terms of size (galaxy is a bit larger for me to carry in pocket) and speed. I didnt have a better chance to check the battery issues, i was always keep powering on the phone to recover the screen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Top phone for AT&T if you can live with sub-par battery life., July 23, 2011
A few comments on the Atrix:

Call Sound Quality : Very Good to Excellent. I'd have to say between T-Mo and ATT it's a toss up but they're both better than Verizon in my opinion. GSM just sounds better.

Speaker/Speakerphone: FANTASTIC. I'm a big fan of Pandora + Phone + Shower and this is the first one that really does do the job. Iphone 4 and MyTouch 4G come close. The iPhone sounds good but not loud enough and the MT4G gets a little distorted at full volume.

Battery Life: Not the best for sure, but worth it as the phone is a speed freak. If I am careful I can get 1.5days without a charge. If you drive buy a car charger, if you bus/walk/ride consider a "backup battery" either an external pack or an extra battery that you keep charged.

Lapdock: If this was $149.99 retail I'd say pick it up. I love mine. It's like having a first gen Atom Netbook. It's thin, does the job, nice build quality and it acts as a "second battery" for the phone which is awesome. But the retail price is just horrible. I suggest looking on a local classified website or the used section on Amazon.

Screen: The best I've used. Good off angle viewing. I think the pixel density is high enough.... I know there is a lot of hyperbole about resolution but qHD I think would be fine up to 4.3" screens. Once you get to 5" though it really needs 1024x600 or higher.

Build Quality: Solid. Not an iPhone 4 but it also will not shatter if you look at it funny. No flexing or weirdness when in your hand. If anything it's a little slippery/smooth... I've had it slide out of my hands a couple times now.

Network Quality: Well. This is a "how fast do you need it?" kind of question. I can say without a doubt that T-Mobile HSPA+ in Seattle is darn fast. My MT4G gets 14Mbps down easily. I can only get like 6Mbps on my Atrix. Does it matter? Not really. Even when using it as a wifi hotspot. Though It's a HUGE jump from my Palm Pre on Verizon... That poor guy was lucky to get 2Mbps and it was noticeable when using wifi hotspot on it.

Quirks: It's weird, but sometimes it just turns off. I might just have a bad device. Since I usually root/mod/etc I don't care (I have not done it yet, but I am sure that it'll happen in the future)..

Software: The Android Gingerbread (2.3.4) update dropped today and it seems to have really made a great device better. I hope it can help with the battery life. It made a HUGE difference with the Lapdock as they update to Firefox 4.0 (I mean, HUGE difference...).

Other accessories: The media dock is overpriced but useful if you don't have anything else plugged into the TV. Car dock is awesome and comes with a very nice car charger. The only thing that I've had issues with is finding a case thin enough to use with all of the docks. Have not found one yet.

Right now if I had to suggest a phone on AT&T this would be it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Is it enough to just be "fast" ?, July 18, 2011
I upgraded from an iphone 3G to the Atrix a few weeks ago. I'm nearing the end of my 30 days to return the phone so I figured I would post some thoughts. The MotoBlur system running on this phone is a disappointment. My wife has a "pure" android, it's much more user friendly and just plain looks better. I tried some apps like launcher pro, but at the end of the day I just wanted a pure android experience without having to root the phone. Outside of a couple of neat widgets, MotoBlur is just a pure fail. I would consider the battery life average to poor and it takes a long time to charge. If you're going to use the GPS you better have a car charger and a good air conditioner because the battery goes fast and the phone gets very hot. Data management and backup capability are average to poor. It will take some time to get this phone up and running as a true "smart" phone unless you're already a power user. The camera quality is poor compared to other phones with similar specs. Still shots get washed out unless the lighting is perfect and the video camera does not capture sound at all. The touch screen is not as responsive as any iproduct on the market. I hate to make that statement, but after using an iphone/ipad for so long i'm used to a higher quality touch experience. The boot loader is still locked at the time of this writing, but supposedly it will be unlocked when the phone gets a Gingerbread update. Pretty much the only good thing about this phone is that it's fast and you're free from the tyranny of iproducts. If you're on the fence with this phone, I would highly suggest waiting for a Gingerbread update to see if the boot loader gets unlocked and make sure that you play around with the MotoBlur "experience" compared to other android devices. I don't want a phone that I have to download an app for every function of the phone because the product out of the box is an inferior experience. If Gingerbread isn't out and running smoothly by day 29, this phone is definitely getting returned. In the case of this phone, for me at least, being fast just isn't enough.

Update 8-10-11
Well, Gingerbread came out just in time to get a good look at this phone before my 30 days was up. What a difference an update makes. I'm surprised at how much the update improved virtually everything about this phone. Battery consumption seems improved, GUI is vastly improved in all areas, boot loader can be unlocked and even the touch screen seems more responsive. I had read some comments that Motoblur caused lag but didn't believe it until this update. The phone is no longer JUST fast, it's fast, user friendly and powerful without having to root it or jump through hoops. The only thing keeping this from 5 stars is my first 20+ days of battling with the Froyo Motoblur. It feels good to be iphone free.

3.0 out of 5 stars Best Android I've owned yet, BUT a couple hang-ups, October 28, 2011
I told myself I'd wait at least a month or two before reviewing this device. It's been exactly two, and I think I have a pretty good feel for the pros and cons of the Atrix.

A bit of context for this review: I jumped on the Android bandwagon a little too early with the orignal HTC MyTouch 3G (T-Mobile) and then switched to a Samsung Vibrant (also T-Mobile). The HTC was simply awful. Honestly, almost unusable, and that's not hyperbole. It was excessively laggy and always locking up to the point where I couldn't even place calls without waiting a minute or two. I swore off HTCs after that debacle (my wife has an HTC Evo, which though somewhat more functional than it's MyTouch predecessors, is still an awful, unintuitive device, full of bugs). The Vibrant was better, but was permanently crippled with GPS bugs right out of the gate (any GPS function would lock up the phone 50% of the time and force a reboot) and a number of other issues. But I'm getting off-topic here; we're talking about the Atrix. All that to say, I've been around the Android block and have been more than a little frustrated, though I continue to hold out hope, because I love the open-source philosophy behind the devices. And I was hoping to avoid the two brands that had underserved me thus far. So...

I'd heard decent things about Motorola's offerings. And since I had recently switched to AT&T for business purposes (reluctantly), I thought I'd give the much-hyped Atrix a try. It is the first Android device I've been largely happy with--BUT there are a couple potentially significant cons potential buyers should be aware of.

PROS:

1. It's fast. Dual core process is snappy. Yeah, I experience lag on occasion, but it's minimal and almost never cripples the phone the near or total un-usability like it did with my previous two devices. The Atrix is robust enough to keep me happy. This is the first time I've been able to say that with an Android device.
2. Display is nice and crisp, and the touch screen seems a little more responsive/accurate than my Vibrant.
3. LED flash and front-facing camera are nice additions (though the flash honestly isn't good for much).
4. Seamless integration of Microsoft Exchange capabilities is nice for business users who don't want to shell out the extra dough for AT&T's absurd Enterprise plans.
5. Battery life is surprisingly excellent. My Vibrant would seldom last a full day with light/moderate use. The Atrix would easily last two with light use, and with moderate to heavy use, I've never had it die before pluggin it in at night.
6. I like Motorola's spin on the Android platform. It's very intuitive and easy to use, unlike HTC's offerings.

CONS:
1. Gorilla glass is far from as durable as advertised. I had the phone for two months. It was in my pocket--IN MY POCKET--and I pulled it out to find the screen shattered. Didn't drop it or bang it against something. Apparently a little bit of pressure was enough to shatter it. And in true AT&T form, they refuse to backup their products, so I have to replace the screen at my own expense. I thought perhaps this was a rather isolated incident, but a quick perusal of the message boards indicates that a lot of Atrix users are dealing with broken screens--and with no warranty support. Unacceptable if you ask me. (I'd give it 4 stars if it weren't for this.)
2. Phantom resets seem to be common to varying degrees. From time to time, it simply resets itself. While my Samsung and HTC would freeze up from time to time, leading to a reboot, the Atrix simply resets itself for seemingly no reason. It's happened maybe 3 or 4 times to me in a couple months--once in the middle of a call. I've heard of other users having the problem more frequently. Hopefully it's a software issue that is ironed out in the next update. It hasn't been a huge problem for me, but it sound like it really could be for others.
3. I'm a little disappointed with the camera. Picture quality is decent, but nothing more. This is about the only thing my previous phones had over this one (and now the iPhone 4S optics make this look even worse!).
4. Underwhelming design. It's obviously not as sexy as, say, Apple's offerings. And it feels flimsy. The plastic back cover looks cheap. Slapping a decent cover over it helps.

So in short, all in all, I'm pretty happy with this phone (wish I could say the same about AT&T's horrendous customer service!). The poor build, which lead to the broken screen in my opinion, and the lacking warranty should be considered before purchasing, as those weight heavily enough on the "cons" side to be potential deal-breakers. But hey, HTC has yet to make a passable device, and Samsung rolls theirs out crawling with bugs, so despite it's apparent flaws, the Atrix is a whole lot better than many of the phones out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Phone, March 23, 2011
Phone responds very fast to every input on every application. Display is excellent and bright which makes it easy to see even in sunlight. Text is easy to read and sharp. I absolutely love it!!

Pros:

Fingerprint lock
Speedy processor
removable battery
Voice clarity/volume
Ability to dictate versus type text
Front facing camera

Cons:
Plastic body
Slippery touch
Outlookk sync (thats an android problem though)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Android Phone to date !!!, March 1, 2011
I am android user since start. Started with G1 and Nexus One ( all on AT&T without contract and payed full price :-( ). This is my 3rd android phone. I didn't need a new phone, nexus one was so cool. But I wanted to feel the Nvidia tegra 2 and $149 with contract wasn't a bad deal. Jumped on to this cool device.
Pros:
- Best Android phone. Highest resolution in the android bandwagon.
- Blazingly fast !!
- Good build quality
- Nice to add a HDMI cable with the phone, so you can watch the videos and photos from your cellphone in your big screen.
- Comes with DLNA app, so you shoot your media from your phone to TV wirelessly !!!

Cons:
- Phone is extremely slippery in my hands. Got used to the rubberized feel of Nexus One. It slipped out of my hands few times. Better to put a silicon sleeve or something.
- It doesn't have Amoled so videos won't popout as in Samsung or Nexus one, but is pretty nice.
- Moto blur :-(. But for someone who has used only stock android for 2+ years, moto blur is annoying.

By the way it beats my wife iPhone4 phone easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best smartphones out there, October 31, 2012
I would recommend this smartphone to anyone. It's a great deal for your money. If you can get the lapdock. Although this model is from last year, it is still one of the top rated smartphones on toptenreviews.com.

3.0 out of 5 stars product with small bump, July 15, 2012
The product works well so far. But present minor scratches and a bump on the top of the screen. Also dust inside. seems a used product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great at almost everything., June 8, 2012
This device is amazing. Super crisp display, very responsive touchscreen, fast processor. I love the customization and the versatility. It's the best handheld device I've ever had.

So why the 3 star review?

Because it's a phone, first and foremost, and that aspect of it is lacking. The ear speaker is crummy. I hear distortion at all volume levels. I have to really try hard to hear. And I get complaints from those who listen to me on the other end, too. They say it sounds like I'm in a bucket. Actually, they say it sounds better with my bluetooth headset. Something's wrong there, y'know?

I'd give it 5 stars without hesitation if call quality was better.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 520 | Next ›