5.0 out of 5 stars You won't ever look back.
A bit of context, just so you know where I'm coming from on this...

- I upgraded from a Motorola Backflip. The best Android phone AT&T had to offer at the time, but I'd had enough of the ridiculously slow processor.

- Rather than wait another 8 months to renew my contract, I took an exclusion renewal, so I got the Atrix for only about $100 under...
Published on March 16, 2011 by D. Hoelck

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Cautions
This is a wonderful phone with great specs. There is one thing that may not be apparent based on the description:

Although it is a 4G phone, AT&T currently limits the upload speed to 300Kbs. This actually limits the download speed to 1.5Mbs or so. What has angered the community is that the same limit is not applied to the IPhone 4 (which gets 5X faster...
Published on March 1, 2011 by David A. Guth

‹ Previous | 14 5 620 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Great at almost everything., June 8, 2012
This review is from: Motorola Atrix 4G Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
This device is amazing. Super crisp display, very responsive touchscreen, fast processor. I love the customization and the versatility. It's the best handheld device I've ever had.

So why the 3 star review?

Because it's a phone, first and foremost, and that aspect of it is lacking. The ear speaker is crummy. I hear distortion at all volume levels. I have to really try hard to hear. And I get complaints from those who listen to me on the other end, too. They say it sounds like I'm in a bucket. Actually, they say it sounds better with my bluetooth headset. Something's wrong there, y'know?

I'd give it 5 stars without hesitation if call quality was better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, May 30, 2012
Warning: I'm not technically sophisticated and this is my first smart phone. I use the phone for quick access to fb, email, and twitter, occasional browsing, games, maps, and, obviously, phone calls, texting.

It does everything I need it to do. The call quality is excellent, Android is fun to personalize, access to social networks is very easy, there are plenty of apps for my needs. The phone is fast--downloads are fast, games play without a hitch, there's no stuttering w/flash on youtube. Screen is excellent. Typing on such a small screen is obv not ideal, but it's not impossible, either. The battery is huge, and has yet to go below 3/4 full in a day's use. The thing feels solid, not too heavy, not too light.

No complaints whatsoever.

1.0 out of 5 stars Total LEMON!, May 8, 2012
I've had 2 and they are both lemons! The screen near the top stops working very quickly. It sometimes works but usually doesn't. DON'T BUY THIS PHONE!!

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE! NO WARRANTY!, March 14, 2012
BEWARE! There is really NO WARRANTY on this phone: The Motorola warranty does not cover "physical damage" and Motorola defines even scratches on the phone as "physical damage" and as evidence' of "trauma." (!) They then use this "physical damage" as an excuse to void the warranty and NOT to repair the real problem, which is that the WiFi suddenly stops working after a few months. (Just Google "Atrix WiFi will not turn on. Error" to find hundreds of complaints about this same problem.)

5.0 out of 5 stars First Smart Phone.. but LOVE IT, December 11, 2011
I purchased this phone in June, 2011.

First of all, this is my first smart phone. My son and DIL have At&t I-phones and have dropped calls all the time so I was determined to find something else. After a lot of research, I bought the Atrix. What sold me was the front facing camera and the dual core. This phone is FAST!!!

The call quality is a very important thing for me since I mostly use a phone as a... phone. I have never dropped a call in the 7 months that I have owned this phone. The speaker works great.

At first I wasn't crazy about Motoblur. All of my Facebook contacts appeared in my phone contact list:( But after I discovered the "favorites", I can find the people I actually call easily.

The battery life isn't bad unless you leave the wifi on. I have a wifi switch saved on my home "page" and keep it off unless I'm going to use it. Even with Lookout running all the time in the background, I have at least 24 hours of battery life.

I love the fingerprint sensor. It's nice to know that I'm the only one who can use my phone. If I want to let someone else use it, I just disable it. You don't need to swipe your print to answer the phone or mute it.

I cannot get the phone to take good photos.. but the video is awesome!!! I don't' use my video camera any longer, just my phone. I also like the front facing camera.

I paid $75 for this in June. Now I see it's free which would have made this decision a no-brainer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Motorola Atrix 4G Android Phone, September 10, 2011
The Atrix 4G is my first smartphone. I chose it because it had received good reviews and because it is made by Motorola. All of my previous cell phones have been Motorolas. The phone is as advertised. It is fast, especially over wifi. I have big hands and the phone feels just right. It is a thin, good-looking black slab of thoughtful product design. Even the touch screen keyboard, with spell and grammar correction, was easy to acclimate to. I do have a couple of caveats: if you are new to smart phones, I suggest you research the permissions that a user must grant to downloaded apps. GPS, when used for other than intentional navigation, is a helpful, if eerie, companion, noting perhaps too much information about one's whereabouts.

I think a key, if not THE key, to fully appreciating the phone, lies within the pages of the owner's manual, which can be found online. I've always gone through the owner's manual of each new car I get as soon as I leave the showroom. Cover to cover. I push every button, try every mode of everything. I set up the jack as if to change a flat tire, locate the fuse box(es), etc. You may not be so inclined, but I imagine you see the wisdom of doing so. Read the Atrix's owner's manual, cover to cover. Try everything. At the very least, by doing so you'll probably enjoy customizing the phone to your tastes, understand how to re-customize features, extend battery life and avoid writing a scathing review about something you don't understand because you didn't bother to READ THE MANUAL.

4.0 out of 5 stars The phone itself is good, August 31, 2011
Midnight "Midnight" (Alabama, United States) - See all my reviews
I bought the Atrix and have been playing around with it for a couple of days. The only other 'smartphones' that I've owned/used are the Motorola Backflip and the Optimus V.

Keep in mind that a lot of the older reviews are based on the old 2.2 (Froyo) version of Android. The newer phones are already loaded with the 2.3 (Gingerbread) version, which solves a lot of the issues.

Pros:

- Lightweight but feels solidly built - better with a cover though.
- Wifi works well, always connects and seems to have good range
- Fast - opening programs and loading games is very quick
- Huge, vibrant screen. Everything looks crisp and clear
- HDMI out capable and the cable is included
- Two cameras (front and back)
- Android 2.3.4 (Gingerbread) and Flash pre-loaded
- Speaker is loud

Cons:

- The touchscreen sensitivity is AWFUL when the phone is plugged into a wall charger. It is nearly impossible to text. However, if the charger is plugged into a computer, the sensitivity is not affected as much.
- Battery life is not great, especially when using wifi. Also, if you use the phone when you're charging it (primarily via plugging it directly into a socket - charging through a computer isn't quite as bad), be careful because it gets VERY hot
- Motoblur is bulky and slow. I replaced it with LauncherPro and Go SMS Pro, which are MUCH better
- Phone randomly restarts. This has happened maybe 10 times in the few months that I've had it, so it's not too excessive, but it's still annoying
- Another gripe about screen sensitivity in general - it could be better, especially at the top near the notification bar. I consistently have problems pulling that down - it doesn't even register that I've touched it.
- Fingerprint reader is an interesting feature, but only if you have the patience to swipe your finger over it multiple times.
- Front camera quality is noticeably lower
- The power button is in the middle of the phone slightly to the back, so it's difficult to turn the phone on without picking it up
- No manual comes with the phone, so you will have to look it up on the internet.

The phone comes loaded with some 'bloatware', but you can uninstall most of it. It will take a while to customize the phone to your preferences, but once you do, it runs quite well.

All in all, I believe this is a good phone. It certainly has its issues, but none of them are deal-breaking yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Premier Engineering, August 27, 2011
PEOPLE GET OFF OF i*Phone FAD!
First, before Review (below) let me mention:
No, I don't work for Motorola/Google (they're partners in Atrix), and did blast Motorolas when they release poor products, but this Atrix has a potential of Razr. Remember Razr?? Back in 2004 thru 2008 it ruled. Then came i*Phone. Now I think Atrix is simply the best. better than i*Phone.". Below is the Review:
==

Moto Atrix is the world's bestest Smartphone @release time, from my technical point of view (I did own plenty Telecom equip. incl. latest i*Phone), +Dualcore w/nVidia Tegra chip packs more computing power & Corning's "GorillaGlass" ==> both unseen in iPhones.
If you go further and add Moto add-ons it turns into a NETBOOK. I feel like wasted money on a Netbook when this phone if not a fullblown Laptop, certainly a Netbook killer (docks are great), builtin Display is latest technology & of course microHDMI output. All else you can find in other reviews BUT:
Two specific Tech spec I wish to mention, especially:

The new generation (teenagers?) are forgetting what the Phone was invented for - core feature is to TALK (or Text), not computering :)
What I like in Motorolas, is RADIO/RF/Antenna module & Voice Processing, as this defines Voice Quality. Some Smartphones forget that they're Phones first, and all else second, remember the now historical case of an i*Phone released to market with defective Antenna design, as one example? Something infested with "smartphone niceties" but working poor as a Phone/Voice, is worthless at least to me. i*Phones might be better in some respects but they traditionally suffered from less than perfect Radio chips. On the contrary, Motorola is also a Semiconductor company which makes their OWN [RADIO] chips (I used to own Moto V3xx, it let me talk on a remote beach with nearest Cell towerantenna far far away, no other phone worked!).

Another thing people overlook in nontechnical reviews, is repairability.
Apple is notorious for using proprietary stuff (from screws to connectors), in their i*Phones they often GLUE LCD panel to GLASS, if you drop/crack/scratch glass, you're likely to pay for entire LCD replacement. Why?? Atrix's display is not just BETTER looking/specs, not just using "GorillaGlass" (new product from Corning Specialty Glasses), but also they had wisdom NOT to glue LCD to Glass, nice! So if you do damage glass by applying a hammer or dropping a pile of bricks on it (less brutal accident is unlikely to damage GorillaGlass) , you only replace this cheap part rather than whole LCD panel as would be for i*Phone.
This thing was torn apart by some geeks (as an experiment) & confirmed to be far nicer to deal with than with Apple's i*Phone & i*Pad insistence on using proprietary hardware - e.g. Torx 5-point screws (normal Torx screws should be 6-point!), so people would be forced to pay extra.
Just to show "i*Phone" logo?
It is about as clever as paying extra to have "Gucci" label on your socks, which your carrier will let you upgrade in 2years anyway.
=====

Having mentioned these 2 overlooked specs, I now go back to the overall impression:
Really they don't lie or lie tiny bit - it is indeed world's smartest Smartphone.

I got mine from Carrier (can't mention names due to Amazon's Review policy), not Amazon b/c I didn't know at that time Amazon had Atrixes (or Atrices?) ! Mine cwas a result of upgrade (w/as usual required 2-year Contract). Hate to sound like a "Motofan Boy", but I thought a good product deserves my review:
Love this Phone? Computer? Both?
Probably made a mistake getting a Netbook a few months back, when instead "Atrix" does what I need on the go (or connect to large Display/HDMI & keyboard), like i*Phone Atrix got FingerPrint (biometric) Reader for security & Remote Kill !
====

As usual w/good Smartphones, you can start a car, lock home security, and things lke that using Atrix.
===

5.0 out of 5 stars best phone on market, August 15, 2011
AT1988 (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
After having an Inspire 4G for two weeks, I was hooked on Android. I was a longtime Blackberry user, and tried the Inspire 4G after the Torch was the last straw for me. I love everything about Android, but as a heavy user, wanted more battery life out of my phone. I also want 4G (or the closest thing ATT has to it), which is why this phone is as close to perfect as can be. The Atrix has much faster data speeds the Inspire 4G or Iphones have, but you can delete bloatware on it, it the OS speeds are much faster, without all the HTC clutter! Its also got a ton of internal memory, which is great to use as an Ipo/Iphone replacement. I love the front facing camera too, as well as the clear, crisp reception and sound! The new Gingerbread 2.3.4 makes this phone pretty much perfect: now the dock stays in place as you browse. Its also durable, unlike HTC phones, where dropping it means death. This phone, in my opinion, actually outdoes tablets, especially android tablets. I strongly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone I've ever had, July 22, 2011
Sold my iPhone 4 and got this beast. The Android experience is so much better for me. I customize my phone however I want. The Atrix is great.

Pros:

4 inch screen
free turn by turn navigation
android OS
fingerprint scanner
compact size
good battery

Cons:
sometimes if squeezing the phone too tight the keyboard won't respond. Hopefully gets fixed in 2.3 update.

‹ Previous | 14 5 620 | Next ›