5.0 out of 5 stars You won't ever look back.
A bit of context, just so you know where I'm coming from on this...

- I upgraded from a Motorola Backflip. The best Android phone AT&T had to offer at the time, but I'd had enough of the ridiculously slow processor.

- Rather than wait another 8 months to renew my contract, I took an exclusion renewal, so I got the Atrix for only about $100 under...
Published on March 16, 2011 by D. Hoelck

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Cautions
This is a wonderful phone with great specs. There is one thing that may not be apparent based on the description:

Although it is a 4G phone, AT&T currently limits the upload speed to 300Kbs. This actually limits the download speed to 1.5Mbs or so. What has angered the community is that the same limit is not applied to the IPhone 4 (which gets 5X faster...
Published on March 1, 2011 by David A. Guth

‹ Previous | 15 6 720 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT PHONE, June 8, 2011
This review is from: Motorola Atrix 4G Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
This is phone of the best phones out there. For the everyday consumer who don't know much about phone modding and software modding this is definitely a great phone

PROS:
1)The phone sports a 1900mah battery, which is one of the largest OEM battery for a phone.
2)The Tegra 2 Dual Core by NVIDIA blows away the competition in terms of heavy graphics and flash contents/games.
3)The size of the screen works really well if you're one of those people who love to watch videos or view web content on their phones
4)The "4G" although not true 4G, it is HSPA+ is pretty fast on AT&T network, of course that is only if it's available in your city
5)HDMI port allows viewing of your phones media content on the big screen if you really want to.
6)If you bought the Laptop dock or Multimedia dock, you can use it as a on the go web browser.
7)The specs on this thing is a beast, 1GB RAM, 16GB Internal Memory, and a 5MP camera with VGA Front Facing.
8)For those who want security, the fingerprint swipe is something new that no other smartphones have.

This phone packs a big wallop for its form factor.

CONS:
1)There are some technical software issues on the phone, however most of it usually gets resolved pretty quickly with OTA updates from Motorola
2)If you're a modder, the boot loader is locked.
3)For those who care, Motoblur is somewhat a CON, but Gingerbread(2.3) should make it better.
4)Laptop dock requires additional tethering plan on AT&T

OVERALL:
This phone is a powerhouse, and there is no denying that. The software, IMHO could be better as I am not a fan of Motoblur, but I can't say it's a bad phone. This is one of the few smartphones that have lasted me more than a day with moderate to heavy usage on a single charge.

For those of you who have experienced Android, or are coming to Android from iOS, Blackberry, Symbian, or a dumb phone, the Atrix is definitely not a let down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome phone, May 22, 2011
I went straight from a Blackberry Curve to this phone, and I'm blown away by the difference. A lot of it is just Android in general, but the phone itself is quite nice. Very fast and good battery life. How/why did I put up with the Curve for so long??

5.0 out of 5 stars Beats the iPhone 4, May 18, 2011
I've been using iPhone for more than 2 years. I got this phone on 17th May. I promptly updated the phone with latest firmware and replaced MotoBlur with Launcher Pro. Its a joy to use this phone. I can say that Motorola Atrix beats the iPhone in almost all departments Hardware, Software, Screen, Battery Life & Speed. Android OS itself is much better than iOS.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Phone, April 22, 2011
ZWG (Washington, D.C.) - See all my reviews
This is my first smartphone and I am entirely satisfied. At the AmazonWireless price, the phone is a bargain that can not be beat. At the AT&T price, I might have expected more (not that I can think of what more I could expect from a mobile device). Be sure to make all of the updates before trying anything too complex like syncing with a personal computer. The touchscreen is very responsive and provides clear, rich screen resolutions. The speaker is very good as is call clarity even with minimal reception. Download speeds are more then satisfactory from both WiFi and AT&T (at least in DC). Function speed is amazing thanks to the dual core. Battery life is respectable given what the phone is capable of doing. You really can't go wrong with this phone at AmazonWireless's price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than iPhone, May 10, 2011
ttomaz (Austin, Tx USA) - See all my reviews
I bought the Motorola Atrix to replace my iPhone 3GS. The iPhone frustrated me - there were basic features I thought the iPhone should have that it didn't, such as quick calendar appointment entries, configurable keyboard and autocorrect, better integration with google voice search, speech to text entry for every app, etc. I was a bit skeptical about Android at first but now I can see that Android phones will take over the world.
First of all the Atrix works great out of the box and is intuitive to use. Android has widgets which allow the app to interact from the home screen - for example to display live updates without actually switching to that app. So you get live weather, news, social network updates, stock quotes etc. through your home screen. Music players (like Rhapsody) allow you to skip songs through the widget. This is a really nice advantage of Android vs. iPhone.
However, the best thing about Android is that it allows customization. So, if there is something that you'd like to change, Android allows full customization of the phone (while iPhone does not). There's an app called "Tasker" that allows you to configure almost any aspect of the phone operation. For example, if the phone is in the car dock, I have the Atrix read me my incoming SMS messages. Google "tasker lifehacker superphone" for many more examples.
Speech to text works great and is available on nearly every app, including todo lists, sms, and email. Just tap the microphone icon and start composing. No more pecking at the touchscreen keyboard and having iPhone (incorrectly) guess what you intended. However, if you like the touchscreen keyboard of iPhone, you'll be blown away by the Android Swype keyboard - many times faster and you have full control over autocorrection.
All the iPhone apps that I used regularly have Android versions.
Battery life is great (better than iPhone), the processing power of the phone is way better than iphone4 (Atrix uses the Tegra2 processor which has the same processing power as an iPad2), and the form factor is very thin and light.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent All-Rounder, April 20, 2011
I have been waiting for the release of fast dual core Android phone since some time. Although Android phones were adequately fast before the Atrix came along - there is something to say about the fluid and unrelenting experience of the Atrix - the phone feels very quick and doesn't show any signs of slowing down - more so than any other phone I have tried before. And that's with version 2.2 (Froyo) of the Android OS - with 2.3 it will only get better.

First thing you notice when you turn on the phone is Moto BLUR - enough has already been said (may be mostly negative) about BLUR but frankly speaking I did not find it to be a bad experience - in fact I did not have any issues keeping that as a default, even though downloading a replacement launcher is both free and quick if you don't like the default launcher. (Launcher Pro for example.) In fact since BLUR keeps most of my Accounts (Twitter, Facebook, Corporate Sync etc.) in the cloud and restores them if I restore the phone - it's useful. Point is you have a choice.

Next thing you will need to do is install the System Update 4.1.57 - recommended as it definitely improves battery life. Speaking of battery life - it is very good for such a powerful phone - I can easily get through a heavy use day after the update.

I make lots of voice calls for sustained periods of time - sometime on speaker phone, sometimes over Bluetooth headset and sometime just normally phone-to-the-ear. Atrix really shines in this department - I haven't had a dropped call and call quality has been excellent. Motorola knows their stuff and it clearly shows - audio is just flawless, the speakers are good and there is virtually no "noise" to the calls.

As many have stated - AT&T and Motorola have not enabled the HSUPA - yet - on the Atrix. I have not noticed any limitations due to that - streaming Audio Galaxy over 3G works just fine and I don't have any uploading going on.

Browsing with Flash - it's there and it mostly works well. Way better to have Flash than to not - just set the browser to load Plugins on-demand and you can click to flash.

Storage - it shines in this department too - it comes with 16GB storage and an empty microSD slot. I used my Sandisk 32Gb card and it works great - 48Gb total storage.

Webtop - I bought the HD Dock and have used the phone with a Microsoft USB Keyboard and Arc Touch Mouse - it works well for browsing and other lightweight desktop tasks. Motorola's Media Center application works great for watching your movies, photos etc. on the TV - you can use the bundled remote control which works great and comes with all regular Android controls.

Fingerprint sensor sounded like a gimmick at first but I have now gotten used to it as the only method to unlock the phone and I prefer it - it works well if you are a bit careful. (Based on how you hold the phone it might be a little tricky due to alignment issues.)

At home the Atrix is paired via Bluetooth to my Panasonic KX-T series cordless phone in the Link-To-Cell mode. It works well - all phones ring when either one is called - and so I can put the Atrix on the charging dock and take calls over the cordless phone at night. I was also able to transfer contacts from the Atrix to the cordless.

AT&T bundled apps - I was able to uninstall a few of them. The other ones - Launcher Pro allows you to hide the ones you don't need. With plenty of space I don't think this is an issue but I would much rather prefer AT&T did not bundle needless stuff.

WiFi - Phone works great with my Linksys E3000 Wireless-N router. Wireless sync worked OK using DoubleTwist AirSync.

The phone also comes with DLNA client which is handy for wireless media transfer if you have UPnP based media servers like the PS3. Video format limits remains an general issues with Android although most common ones seem to work. The one other somewhat geeky feature is Phone Portal - you can look at your messages and other things on the phone using your desktop web browser over Wi-Fi.

Atrix ships with 2 keyboards - Motorola's Multi-Touch keyboard which is the default and is a pleasure to use - Swype is also available and works great as usual. You can also install SwiftKey if you like.

Camera - Rear one is decent - the front one could be better but I don't care about it.

Email - Corporate sync works great - auto configured all settings and the Motorola enhancements over the stock Exchange client are mostly welcome.

Overall I find the phone provides a very pleasant user experience - it surely seems to be powerful enough to handle whatever is thrown at it for next couple years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superbad phone, Make it yours, A review on the phone itself, April 15, 2011
First I would like to say that this android phone isn't for everyone. If your a newbie and refuse to do research...Your gonna be one of those whining idiots giving this a 1 out 5.

This phone is getting negative reviews because of At8T and not because the phone lacks something necessary. A&t capping upload speeds is a valid argument but you should have know about this before you buy/Bought the phone. This also the same with sideloading apps from Amazon. Do your research and you"ll be able to get it.

My Review will be based on the phone itself and I'm gonna keep it simple

>>>>>Pros<<<<
4.0 inch screen( its not a huge phone)
Front facing camera( I don't get why the inspire was missing this)
Dual-core phone with 1gb ram( You'll be able to do multiple things with noticing any slow downs)
Nvidia and tegra Zone(its not much now but I think it will expand soon)
Starts with "R" ends with "ing"
Great Battery( have you ever seen the Evo4g in attention?)
Finger print scanner(Very cool)
Android( The amount of freedom you get vs Blackberry/Iphone to customize your phone)

>>>>>Cons<<<<<
Keyboard( Just download swiftkey, stock is meh)
Camera(Could be but it does a ok job)
MotoBlur(Most people don't like it, i recommend Launch pro)
Expensive accessories

>>>>>>>Neutral<<<<( this ins't the phone's fault)
At&t locking the phone down
Lack of "real 4g"
We want 2.3+ not sure when moto will bring it.

Also, My first Atrix was disabled(the screen would freeze) but amazon sent another one. Thanx Amazon! Now I could been a moron and diss the phone but mistakes happen.

5.0 out of 5 stars 4G is NOT the main purpose of this phone, March 14, 2011
I've seen a lot of people talking, chatting and posting that AT&T doesn't have 4G in a lot of places...okay I agree with that. To me, it doesn't matter since I don't know what I'm missing and to me, there is soooooo much more to this phone than 4G. First, I love Android. This is so cool, now I know what I've been missing. I'm 43 years old so I remember the first time I got on the internet and thrill of it. I experienced the same thrill with this phone. Does it have an 8 meg. camera? No but I can remember getting my first digital camera that had 7.5 and people telling me that I didn't need a camera with so many megapixels. I love the flow of everything. I have to admit that I'm still trying to learn everything but I really love it so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Phone, But Beware of Motoblur and Default Noise Cancellation, March 27, 2011
C. Ramos (Hagerstown, MD) - See all my reviews
This phone is fantastic. It's currently the best phone on the market. The complaints from the other customer reviews are rendered invalid when compared to the professional reviews from sites like Cnet and Engadget who praised the hell out of the device. But a little advice; DO NOT USE MOTOBLUR and TURN OFF NOISE CANCELLATION FOR THE PHONE MIC. If you don't do both those things, you might have some issues. Also the call quality is great on the phone. It's made by Motorola and they have a sterling reputation for excellent quality in both their mics and speakers, and the Atrix is no exception. Couldn't be more pleased with my new phone :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A real review, February 28, 2011
I still have my Iphone 4 and i just got the Atrix 4G... This phone does everything great, and flash works better on this phone then anything i've ever seen. The 4G is really deceiving because i see no difference in internet speeds except the browser is just faster then that of the iphone, but running speedtest its still gets only 3 mbps like my Iphone... I honestly can't say this phone is better then the Iphone bc Apple has everything integrated such as video calling, and the music player so it runs a lot smoother, but the Atrix brings a lot to the table that I did not have on my Iphone... If its not better, I've felt it was just as good and would totally recommend it to anyone...

‹ Previous | 15 6 720 | Next ›