5.0 out of 5 stars You won't ever look back.
A bit of context, just so you know where I'm coming from on this...

- I upgraded from a Motorola Backflip. The best Android phone AT&T had to offer at the time, but I'd had enough of the ridiculously slow processor.

- Rather than wait another 8 months to renew my contract, I took an exclusion renewal, so I got the Atrix for only about $100 under...
Published on March 16, 2011 by D. Hoelck

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Cautions
This is a wonderful phone with great specs. There is one thing that may not be apparent based on the description:

Although it is a 4G phone, AT&T currently limits the upload speed to 300Kbs. This actually limits the download speed to 1.5Mbs or so. What has angered the community is that the same limit is not applied to the IPhone 4 (which gets 5X faster...
Published on March 1, 2011 by David A. Guth

‹ Previous | 16 7 820 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Accessory Distributor, November 28, 2012
Accessory Distributor - Amazon Marketplace

I ordered Motorola Atrix Unlocked 4G. after trying to use it a couple of times, I realized it was defective.
I contacted them immediately to inform them that I was returning it. They approved and sent me a return label.
I also informed them that I was abroad and it would take a couple of week for me to get back home, wrap it and mail it (they refused to give me free return)
I tried to negotiate with them to send me a return label at my expense, that they'll pick up...it was literally impossible to deal with them....hours on end on the phone and a sea of emails.

I finally ran to the post office, and sent it back in it's original box, safely wrapped.
Believe it or not,
they tried to refuse it, making believe that the package went to the wrong address...the post office resent it...and sent us a confirmation, however they kept denying having received it.

To day I received a new fed ex package...with the phone inside...!!! They also sent me an email
claiming that they wouldn't credit me because the box was open...How else would I know if the phone was not defective ...had I not opened the box????
They also accused me of tempering with the phone and sent me pictures to prove what they were saying...lie after lie...I demanded an explication but they wouldn't give it to me.

Dealing with Accessory distributor was a nightmare, I would recommend anyone else, but them...
Their merchandise appears to be illegally refurbished and defective, they try to never return the money and find every excuse not to take back their bad merchandise!

I learned my lesson and should I not get my money in the next few days, this will go to my lawyer, he'll know what to do...
This is un-American and shameful! what's with Amazon????I wish they would wake up!!!

a very disappointed customer,

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Phone, March 17, 2011
This review is from: Motorola Atrix 4G Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I was excited to buy this as soon as I saw its specs. I waited for 2 weeks after the phone has been released to make sure I am making the right choice by buying this. Guess what! Atrix didn't disappoint me at all. When I showed this phone to my friend who has an iphone 4, he was like WOW for its incredible speed and screen transitions.

Pro's:
-------
Display: I would say not as good as Ip4 for would be closest competitor to it
Speed: No other phone can match this for sure.
Android OS: I am sure android OS is a definitely a plus to the phone. It is highly customizable.
Camera Quality: Good for rear and OK for front facing one.
4" Display size: Good for watching videos and reading docs for short time.

Con's:
--------
Battery: Even though they project the battery to be a long lasting thing...in reality it isn't (Atleast for me). I know android phones are power hungry but still cannot consider this a good battery as projected by motorola

MotoBlur: This is the first time I am using this and I am not very comfortable with this launcher.

Definitely, Atrix is a good choice to make if u ask me.

I see in many reviews, this phone is given a 2* and 1* for the service of AT&T over 4G speeds. I certainly agree that service is important with a phone but when a phone is being reviewed, it should be considered as a phone but not with the service. So I am sure it is worth atleast 3* in the worst case for the phone. To me its a 5* phone for the Android and Speed

5.0 out of 5 stars Switched from IPhone 3G, March 2, 2011
I purchased this phone on February 28 to replace my IPhone 3G. It took a few days to get used to it but it has been well worth it! I love the freedom to make the phone work the way YOU want it to. The ability to create your own home screen is fantastic. The call quality is great and the volume of the speaker is excellent. The Atrix is super fast, I mean incredibly fast, I was truly impressed with the speed of this phone. I still have a lot to learn about this phone and so far every day I have learned something new. I was able to transfer itunes music and my photos easily. The only problem I have had is when ATT transferred my contacts the addresses did not get transferred, I am still trying to figure out why that happened. If you are use to the Android platform this phone would be a natural transition, if you are use to the Iphone it will take some getting use to but the rewards are well worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars beats all else on ATT, March 2, 2011
Overall this is a great phone. There are clear reviews online that explain really what this phone is about and the good things about it. I'm an android power user and have had the iPhone4, HTC Aria, Samsung Captivate, and Samsung Focus before this. This beats them all in terms of speed and usability. Mblur was ok but that is easily replaced with LauncherPro, which sped things up. The finger print scanner is pretty good as long as you make really good scans when registering your print. A couple things I noticed is the glass is a bit more reflective and prone to glare than the Focus or Captivate. That makes it hard to see outdoors in bright sunlight. Sometimes the touch screen becomes unresponsive, but it could be beause of my case. A really neat feature I discovered is that while using the touch screen, accidentally swiping over the capacitive buttons won't trigger them. This is good for playing touch intensive games such as fruit ninja. It was always a problem with my captivate accidentally swiping over the home button and exiting the game. This phone gets over 2500 in quadrant. It is considerably faster than the captivate at every level.

1.0 out of 5 stars warranty worthless, September 27, 2011
After two months of careful use, the phone froze up and would not re-boot. I returned it for repair assuming they would make good but told me that even though there was internal damage for which I may not be responsible, they would not repair it because it was "physical damage" and was not covered under warranty. I couldn't believe it and sent it back in for another opinion and a phone call with customer service. They could have told me anything because I can't see inside the phone and understand what they are talking about -- "an internal shield was bent" -- and worst of all, they admitted that it might not have been my fault. No repair or replacement. They lost a customer for good and anyone else I can convince to go to Samsung Infuse which has better battery life, display, keyboard and durability.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid...and only to get better, June 30, 2011
Experience: Blackberry 8700, iPhone, Blackberry Torch. My fourth installment of a smartphone in my life and easily the best. Android operating system is quite intuitive and after just one day of use I was able to get comfortable, which was quite a turnaround from Blackberry. Motoblur gets mixed reviews, but I have no issues with it. Syncs up my contacts via all social media and runs clean. The Google based features are a dream for me and much smoother to navigate than BB. Speeds are solid and I have yet to drop a call. Camera is good (not great) but if people truly want professional quality photography they should carry a professional grade camera. It's a phone. It's functional. Pictures are clear and camera is easy to use.

Hardware. Fast and reliable. Material. A bit slick and I could see how people would easily drop the phone. I am considering a case. Screen is huge and extra real estate makes the browser experience so nice. Who knew an extra 1/2" would make that kind of difference? Voice text is reliable. I can even whisper a command and it works. I have kids, so I love the fingerprint security. Works quite well and has back up security code option if it fails (it doesn't though). Anyone who uses android knows how easy it is to control widgets and navigate. So intuitive!

I rate a 4 because no phone is perfect. Add gingerbread update and this is a solid 4.75 stars. And at this time, you can snag the phone for a penny if you add a line or extend your contract. I know everyone loves to bag on AT&T, but I never drop calls and am happy to continue on the service. Could be where I live (Denver) but I have no issues on service. Motorola is well known for their reputation on quality sound and hardware and the phone does not disappoint.

4.0 out of 5 stars This stuff is "hot"!, June 12, 2011
I have owned this phone for four months now, and I love it! It has many good features that make it stand out among other smartphones, such as decent battery life which lasts up to 15 hours (with the assistance of Juice Defender app), fast hardware with minimum glitches, an amazing fingerprint reader that makes unlocking the password protected phone speedy and effortless (and makes everyone around you envious for this feature), and very light weight compared to some of the other smartphones out there. This is my first Android phone, and second smart phone after owning a Blackberry Bold for two years, and I must say I am extremely pleased with this purchase.

However, I give it a four star rating because it has some problems that a buyer should be aware of. For example, this phone heats up... a lot! I noticed this to be a result of mainly three things: GPS, display, and long phone calls (>30 min). The heat buildup is on the bottom back side of the phone. I can circumvent the GPS heating by turning the screen off when using the navigation. This way, I can still follow the navigation voice commands without heating up the phone. As for the display, I try not to keep the screen on for extended periods of time and turn the screen off every 30 to 40 minutes. However, how am I supposed to prevent the phone from heating if I have an hour long conference call? There have been two incidents where the phone gets so hot it drops the call and I basically end up with a nonfunctional phone. I hope this will not be an ongoing problem.

There are some other problems with the phone that may not sound serious alone, but collectively makes the phone a lot less functional. For example, I still don't understand the philosophy behind Motoblur. It is neither functional nor attractive! It has very basic integration with social networking websites (compared to HTC Sense, where I could view a person's profile and pull up their pictures from facebook, Picasa, etc all from the same page). The interface is so bland it looks like it came from the 80's (but a grey scale version since there were too many neon lights back then). I had to purchase Launcher Pro for a better looking and more functional launcher (you can hide all the junk icons in the drawer!). Also, typing is very unintuitive. Even after you insert a space, punctuation marks are always inserted immediately after the last word (as if you did not insert a space). I guess this idea works well for commas, periods, question marks, etc. But every time I enter quotation marks or apostrophes, Motoblur automatically sticks it to the last word I typed and I have to go back and insert a space again! I must admit that I hated my Blackberry Bold, but the keyboard on it is the best. Also, I was happy to have a front-facing camera to use in chatting, but you can't use it with cross-platform apps, so you are restricted to use it only on Qik with other Android users. Finally, the back facing camera is not something to replace your point and shoot just yet. No zoom, no manual focus, and the gallery does not integrate with Picasa.

Overall, I love this phone. It is not perfect, but it keeps me happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars You will not regret getting this phone, April 19, 2011
I've had this phone for the better part of a month now, and am quite familiar with most of its features. When I was first shopping for a new phone, I was pretty set on getting an iPhone 4. Though I'm not a big Apple fan, admittedly, I had a 3G and it was a good phone. Frustratingly slow at times, yes, but a good phone. In the store, I tried both this phone and the iPhone 4. Oddly enough, I left the store still thinking I'd order the iPhone. Boy am I glad I didn't.

So, head to head, the iPhone is more responsive generally, in two ways. When changing screens on the home screen, and when going from portrait to landscape mode, the iPhone is noticeably smoother and faster. However, in every other respect the Atrix is as fast or faster. Opening apps, scrolling around, zooming, all are instantaneous and as smooth as glass on the Atrix.

So, that encompasses everything the iPhone does better, in my experience.

The biggest thing that the Atrix/Android does so, so much better is in the usefulness of the home screen. In iOS, there are essentially three ways that you can interact with an application - launching the application, getting a popup notification, and overlaying a number over an application that indicates, for example, the unread number of emails or posts in Facebook.

In Android, there are two dimensions added to this. First, there are these widgets you hear everyone talk about. These are incredibly useful. Rather than merely seeing a count of the number of emails that I have waiting for me, I have a summary of the contents of the emails, and if I tap on the widget, a miniature version of the messaging app pops up and I can quickly read through my email.

Another great app I've used on both operating systems is Remember the Milk. In Android, I can add a widget that shows me the contents of any given list, and tapping on the widget takes me directly to the list in question. I can also, of course, just add a link to the app itself as in iOS to my home screen.

These are just a few examples of the customize-ability of this OS. There are also shortcuts, which provide quick access to certain parts of applications. For example, I have two navigation shortcuts, one which takes me to work and one which takes me home. With a single tap, I am ready to go to work or go home, using the built-in Google Navigation app.

Which brings me to the richness of the apps built in to this phone. As mentioned before, it includes a navigation app, which is on par with all of the standalone GPS units I've used. It also includes Swype, which is a new form of keyboard input for touch screens. This can be incredibly faster than typing in individual letters once you get used to it.

The voice command application included, Vlingo, is also of note. This application is also available for the other major phone operating systems, but it is included in this case, and is incredibly useful. Text input is even faster using this app, bringing the usefulness to a new level. It can be used with any text input box, thanks to the flexibility of the Android OS.

And, finally, that brings me to the amazing flexibility of this (mostly) open source OS. Because the OS is open source and well designed, it is incredibly flexible. Don't like the default home screen? Download GO Launcher EX, and you're given a whole new universe of customize-ability. Don't like the default dialer or contact list? Same thing. Likewise, you can choose which voice command provider you wish to use, or replace the text-to-speech engine that applications such as the navigation app use.

Another cool feature, though, I only use it off and on, is the live wallpaper. Remember how cool it was that the iPhone 3GS could have wallpapers on its home screen? Well, Android one-ups that with 3D wallpapers that can show anything from a spinning customizable globe to the weather, to more abstract wallpapers. They're fun to play with, though I stick with the static wallpapers currently due to battery consumption. Oh, I should also mention that you can easily, through the settings menu, figure out which apps are taking up the most battery life. I have nothing to complain about regarding the battery life, though it's nothing to write home about.

With iPhone, it's like you're a child again and a condescending adult tells you what is best and makes all of your decisions for you. With Android, you're the adult and in charge, with all of the responsibilities that that entails. I've only scratched the surface here, really, and have yet to find my ideal home screen setup. I really can't say enough nice things about this OS. It's like I've turned 18 and have the freedom to do what I want, when I want. I'm an adult.

Anyway, enough about the OS. More about the phone. The fingerprint sensor is awesome. Once you set it up, you can unlock your phone practically instantly. No PIN needed. This is a great feature, though it takes a bit of getting used to. Once you get your swipe down, though, it seems so archaic to have to actually input a code to unlock your phone.

The touchscreen is wonderful. It's quite sensitive, and sometimes I swear it responds without me even touching it - it's that good.

Another big plus is that the battery is removable and replaceable. Though this is irrelevant to me at the moment, it's a big deal if my battery ever dies.

The front facing camera is a good idea; I like the idea of videoconferencing with my phone. There are a few issues here, though, at the moment. The iPhone clearly wins in this category when compared to the Atrix. First, the Atrix has problems with audio with VOIP apps. Basically, it doesn't work at the moment. This is apparently a firmware issue, and will allegedly be fixed in the future. In addition, Skype doesn't work with video calls, though this is an issue with the software rather than the phone or OS. So, in a nutshell, don't get this phone for videoconferencing in the near future.

In conclusion, this phone is a gift from heaven for any geek. If you like to customize your gadgets to any degree, or resent the excess control that other companies exert over your device, this phone is for you. If you expect to video-conference or have a simple experience that's similar to iOS, then this phone may not be for you at the moment. For me, it's a 5 star no brainer.

3.0 out of 5 stars great phone but..., April 12, 2011
AT&T and Moto need to update the phone to Android 2.3 or better yet, 2.4 and enable full HSUPA.

Right now, Android 2.2.1 barely supports the dual core CPU, many apps cannot even see both cores let alone use them.

No HSUPA means slow upload (less than 300Kbps) and download speeds. This means NO 4G service at all.
Don't let the little H+ icon fool you. It barely does 3G speeds.

The fit and finish on the phone is great and MotoBlur isn't too shabby.
Could use a facelift though.

Would I recommend this to others, not right now.
If AT&T and Motorola resolve the issues mentioned, this phone will be a beast.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Atrix BEATS the iPhone 4!, April 9, 2011
I'm glad to read all the positive reviews on the Atrix. What a phone! I bought it during the Japan quake/tsunami and during my lunch breaks I was able to watch live news broadcasts which you CANNOT do with the iphones. Apple will lose many customers if they don't change to java flash browsers. I love this phone but Motorola needs to dump the commercials showing their dock system and concentrate on comparing it to the iPhone since the Atrix does so much more than the iPhone.
Here is my review-
Winner of CNET's "Best of CES 2011" award!
After 2 1/2 happy years with the iPhone 3GS I did research on the latest ATT smartphones and in March 2011 I bought the Motorola Atrix 4G. After just the first day I realized what a SUPERB phone this is! This phone has many useful features that were lacking on my 3GS and hopefully Apple will implement these.
The main camera has 2 flashes and a videorecorder and the web browser allows flash so you can see videos just like on your home computer. Apple needs to switch to flash browsers or they are going to lose a lot of customers such as myself. Three other things that the iPhone also lacks- 1) Atrix has a back button, 2) when your phone is in the sleep mode there is a small green LED that blinks if you have new mail or messages, and 3) it has a very useful status bar on the top of the screen. This lets you know if you have new mail, what apps are being downloaded and then installed, data transfer arrows and much much more.
You can also multitask audio apps, unlike the iPhone. This means you can be listening to Pandora while listening to Police Radio and watching the Tsunami video on KTLA.com.
The GPS Navigation app is AWESOME. She announces the name of the streets that you need to turn on, shows you traffic conditions and also shows you the satellite images which means you see yourself driving through the actual town in 3D.
And the "voice commands" are also very clever as you can open any app by just saying "Open Soundhound" so you don't have to scroll through all your apps.
You can also easily replace the battery if that time ever comes, you can attach a micro usb and it has a HDMI port and comes with that cable.
Here are just some of details on the Atrix-
It has 1 gb of RAM - the most of the smartphones.
It has a dual-core 1GHz processor - most powerful of any smartphone.
It has the option of unlocking by swiping your fingerprint.
It's screen has a higher resolution than any other phone other than the iPhone 4.
It has amazing (although overpriced and not really needed) OPTIONAL accessories that no other phone offers.
It has a 1930 mAh battery, way better than anything else available.
It has a front-facing camera, which does not require wi-fi to work.
I'm sure I will run across more surprises on this great phone.
***I used the free app IDrive Lite to transfer my contacts from my iPhone to the Atrix.***

‹ Previous | 16 7 820 | Next ›