5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone for a good price
Published on October 26, 2011 by O. C. Namli

3.0 out of 5 stars You'll get what you pay for
Now that the phone is only $29.99, it's a fairly good deal. It can take calls, send and receive texts and e-mails, take photos, play music downloaded unto it, and do very basic web browsing. It CANNOT play videos or music you find online. Over the past month, it's played youtube videos successfully about 3% of the time. A lot of the apps, particularly the Maps app for...
Published 17 months ago by Michael

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone for a good price, October 26, 2011
O. C. Namli (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Motorola Atrix 2 4G Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
decent android phone for a reasonable price; have been using is since Oct17th. never had a problem. Battery life is good up to this point, I am texting and surfing most of the time, wireless and background data are on, at the end of the day, when I get back to home, battery remains 20~30%. camera is impressive havent used that much however outdoor trials came out as good as a point and shoot camera. it is really a fast phone; never had a crashing problem yet, it runs smooth and fast.
couple issue that may concern a buyer; not having headphones and mini hdmi cable included in the retail package. glad to have a front camera option however skype video talking didn't work on the phone (waiting skype* to include this phone in video talking portfolio). the shortcut touch buttons at the bottom of the screen doesn't illuminate sometimes (light sensor might be the reason).

Update @Nov22, it has been a month and still enjoying to use this android phone; just had one issue tho; upgraded the micro sd to 16gb however it didnt work well on Atrix2, i just realized that after taking images and noticed them not being saved in the "dcim" folder. as far as I can tell, it is a hardware problem on the microsd card; since I scan it with windows and found some errors on the card; the 2gb came with the phone still works well.

update @Jan25, The microsd card issue is not happening, anymore. I had returned the damaged microsd card and purchased a more reliable brand from amazon.com. It has been working as expected. I had been experiencing battery life issue since I switched to 16gb microsd card tho. I am not sure it is the usage or the higher capacity microsd is the main reason; havent change the usage significantly.

*update @May07, about skype, it has been available for a while, I just forgot to update; now the video chat is available with atrix 2. Battery life is still good, enough for more than a day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing phone even for a phone snob!, January 29, 2012
I spent many years selling phones for Bestbuy as well as for Alltel on the corporate side. I have also worked selling phones third party for many companies. My expectations for phones are pretty high. That being side I got this as a free upgrade at Bestbuy last Sunday. This is an amazing piece of hardware and a really usuable phone.

PROS
*Very responsive and stable. I was a bit wary going back to an Android phone. So far it has been amazing. I experience pretty instant responses.
*I love the screen it is clear and crisp and the touch response is amazing.
*The apps are great. While keeping an eye on the Amazon daily free app you can build a decent collection of apps. Also all the heavy hitters are here just like on the Iphone.
*It has an expandable SD slot for up to 32gb's. This is something that both the Apple and current Windows phones lack.
*I love Zumocast the streaming app provided through Motorola. As well as the software interface. I have yet to play with the lapdock yet. Though I am seriously considering getting one for the lightweight aspect. I go to school and want something to take notes on. Lugging a laptop, books, and various supplies gets tiresome.
*Ability to easily setup to connect to wifi in your constant haunts. With the data prices set by At&t this makes a huge difference. It is also very flexible in setting up data saving abilities.

CONS
*I find it annoying that Motorola couldn't give us the HDMI cable with the phone or a bigger SD card. These items cost very little for the OEMs. I do know that often phone companies restrict it so they can upsell their overpriced accessories. It also makes the third party dealers happy to be able to do the same thing.
*The camera is good but not great I was hoping for a bit more. Though by no means is it unusable. This is definitly a higher end phone even amongst smartphones. This should have gotten a little more love.
*These aren't the phones fault (AT&T garbage apps some of which are not deletable & AT&T's money grubbing data plans are just plain evil.)

All in all it has been a long time since I have truly loved a phone. This phone is indeed one of those purchases that you rave about. Motorola knocked it out of the park on this one. I have had more phones then I can remember and have dealt with about everything on the market. This is truly a best of show type item. Android is coming along really nicely. Not locked down like the Iphone which is a great welcome to the smartphone world introduction. It is also great for those who just want a flashy phone that works. The Iphone truly excels at that. The new Windows Mango is also a great OS for phones. The turn off for me was the lacking hardware and pricing compared to the Androids. They just didn't offer the same value. Blackberry is dying a slow painful death in my opinion which is sad. They like Palm were once the pinnacle of what it meant to put out a stellar product.

In summation Motorola you really outdid yourself with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone!, December 8, 2011
I discovered this phone when Amazon did their 1 cent promo. ( That was for new customers only and not upgrade customers so I got mine at Best Buy for FREE on Black Friday.. But $49 is still a steal for this phone) I promptly called my android fanatic brother who informed me that it is basically the Droid Bionic that costs $299 with contract. I read the reviews and decided to take the leap from Iphone 4 to this Atrix 2. I have been longing for a larger screen for a while now, but didn't want to spend $ to switch and I love the iphone! But, this deal got me to switch. Nothing compares to the iphone. That is a different beast altogether. My main thing was I wanted one of those 4.3 inch screens! This fits the deal. It is a gorgeous screen. I'm still getting used to google ( Android ) but it's a learning curve and so far worth it. With google music, it takes all of your newest itunes music ( the DRM free music that has been $1.29 on itunes basically ) and your cd's that you may have uploaded to itunes and transfers them to google music and their cloud. Unlike itunes cloud this one is free! So far it is wonderful! No memory is taken up on my Atrix 2. It works with my Ford Sync bluetooth and sounds good. You are also not dealing with the behemoth itunes program! Everything is connected through a google email account which a lot of us already have or you just make a new one. This phone has the latest and greatest Android phone offerings ( dual core processor, 1 gb of ram ,qHD non pentile display ( higher resolution than the Bionic!) and Gingerbread 2.3. I love the fit and finish of this particular Motorola phone vs the Bionic and such. It has a high quality feel and look to it. The size is very slim and because you don't have that Verizon LTE battery hogger, the battery lasts almost as long as my iphone 4. It also doesn't have that annoying bump at the top backside like the Bionic or X! In fact it is not much larger than the iphone 4 and it has that nice 4.3 inch screen! It only comes with 8gb of onboard memory and a 2gb card. I got a 32gb one that I installed without formatting, so the phone seemed to have issue with it but it seems to be fine now. This phone has AT&T's HSPA + network which they call 4g. It is a kinda of bridge between 3g and 4g. This is a perfect compromise right now because the 4g LTE phones out there are battery killers and they are larger! Also, the iphone still sports just 3g! Holy crap, I just realized how long this review is!

So.. If you want a large screen nice phone get this one!

Oh yea, I forgot to mention the camera... It's got the specs ( 8 megapixel, 1080p video recording ) , but it is not that great. It takes a while to snap a shot and make sure you hold the phone still. There is a front facing vga camera too. But the pictures are ok though.. not a deal breaker for me. I still love this phone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Geat android phone, October 25, 2011
I was an iphone 4 user and was reluctant to try this new Motorola phone. I'm really impressed with Atrix 2 performance when compared to iphone 4. First, it took a while to get used to the new interface and android configs ...but here is the bottom line.

Pro: Fast, responsive, conformable size bigger than iphone but smaller than galaxy s2), batter life so far so good), bright screen, Microsoft sync

Cons: Crazy ATT apps, No ear phones included with the phones. Not a big problem ..but expected one

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing phone..., October 24, 2011
Don't think twice. Just get yours. It is a great dual-core phone especially at 49.99$!

I've been using it for couple of days and I'm impressed by the display and screen response. Battery is OK but it is fine considering heavy usage I had during first few days.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Phone, But You're Better Off With Something More New, May 8, 2012
Length:: 5:30 Mins

Hi! this review is mostly aimed at the customer who isn't super tech savvy. If you follow the tech industry or mobile phones regularly, then this video won't help you much. Thanks! Here's the best Android phone on AT&T as of May 2012: HTC One X 4G Android Phone, Gray (AT&T)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice smartphone and computing platform, January 17, 2012
I have had it now for 2 weeks.
The good: I find the call quality and volume very good. Having 5 "screens" to customize with widgets has also been a nice touch. Normal business use - including weather and market updates and ~80 mins of calls a day, WiFi connectivity and moderate browsing gives you about 2 days between charges. I purchased it because I wanted something larger than an iPhone and smaller than the HTC and Samsung phones At&T had. I found it very easy to setup for music recording, playback and internet radio. I have another screen dedicated to the cameras, videos and pictures (in custom folders) and 2 "main screens" one that tracks weather at two locations along with useful shortcuts for voice commands and voice searching. The other "main" tracks the markets and 2 time zones (UK and India for me) along with other useful shortcuts. The data management options are a very nice feature - allow you to select pre-configured options for when to defer downloading until a WiFi connection is available. I just wish they made it where you can choose the file size thresholds yourself. That minor annoyance is easy to fix and should be high on their list. Flash is supported and with my moderate usage it has worked fine. Not sure about HTML 5 support.

The bad: Some shortcuts (such as battery level %) are not available and require multi-menu navigation. Placing widgets and items on the screens and moving from one screen to the next is a bit sensitive - but manageable. The buttons on the bottom work best with a stylist - one really should be included. The browser is OK but nothing special. Some screen come up too small to read - but easy to adjust by using the finger spread technique. One annoying "feature" is it keeps prompting to set up a goggle account to manage email accounts and personalization.

Judgement - works fine for me. I've decided its a "keeper" and will not return for another phone. Note - I keep my phone for several years (4+) and do not trade up, although I can do so ever 18 months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome phone at bargain basement price, December 30, 2011
I've had the Atrix 2 for over a month now, and I can't say I'm anything less than 99% pleased with it thus far. I got it free on contract at radioshack, which does factor into how I feel about the device, but I still would be happy with it even if I'd paid for it.

Atrix 2-

Pros-
-Solid build quality, light without feeling plasticy, and firm/rigid without weighing a ton
-BEAUTIFUL qHD 4.3" screen. Bright, great viewing angles, traditional RGB matrix. I've seen this next to the new 720p displays, and the difference is negligible imho.
-Very fast. 1Ghz dual core and 1GB of ram keep everything speedy, and the gpu accelerated launcher is buttery smooth
-Bloatware is minimal and can be uninstalled for the most part
-4G speeds are quite respectable, I've seen anywhere from 1-9mbps down and 1-2 up with an average of about 3-4d/1u, all over the country. Not LTE but more than enough to do most of what you could want to do with your phone.
-Brand new device with an OMAP family dual core means we'll likely see ICS in the near future
-Notification LED is always nice
-In my experience, very good battery life. I've had no problems making it 12-15 hours with moderate to heavy usage (3-3.5 hours of screen time is doable)

Cons-
-I HATE THE MOTO ICONS, so badly that I use a custom launcher just to replace them. That and the lack of support for scrollable widgets keeps me from using the otherwise very good default launcher
-Camera is average, not bad, does the job, but there are better ones on the market
-Moto keeps their phones fairly locked down. This is more of a speed bump for the development community than a brick wall, and I have no doubt that support will be very good a year from now, but as of now, there isn't much in the way of custom roms/kernels.

Overall, I'm very happy with the Atrix 2. Its essentially a Bionic with a better screen (And no LTE) for $200 less, and the underrated younger brother to the RAZR. I won't go so far as to say its the best device on AT&T, the SGS2 family is great and I've heard good things about the Vivid and the Nitro, but I have no doubts that none of those devices were worth the extra $150-250 to me personally.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Phone is Superb!, October 10, 2012
I've had this phone for a year (Nov). I just received the latest upgrade today (10Oct12). It is the best upgrade that I have ever received on a cell phone. No company would ever give you this many features in a single upgrade. They would save it for their next edition. If Apple were to do this it would put them at revision iPhone8.

The engineers have obviously studied the latest trends in App downloads, customizations, usage trends etc. They have really determined what people are demanding and have mapped out a really good user friendly phone.

I am able to do everything that I can do on a PC. Trade and track my stocks with various views. Online banking, pay bills, entertainment, sync with my home computer (Mozilla). The only obvious difference from my home base computer is the screen size. They even have their own version of an APP killer. And I'm sure all of you smart phone users can relate to the need for this! I can probably get rid of the APP called "Advanced Task Killer" which actually works pretty good.

Now if ATT would only get 4G in my area. The phone flies with 4G. But I only get it when I use it a home with Fios.

I was looking for a reason to stay with one maker and not jump around: LG, HTC etc.
It was a toss up between this and Samsung. Samsung felt very cheap in my hands. And the "Super Amoled" screen burns out. I think Google and Motorola are going to create some great things.

I am a stickler for companies who continue to support older models and not just hand things over to 3rd party venders. It is a good sign.

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG! I love this phone!, March 15, 2012
Reader2008 (United States) - See all my reviews
Update: The phone sometimes will not ring and go to voice mail; I am not sure why it does that, but one time I was standing by the phone and it went to voice mail.

Update #2: Battery failed after 2 months and ATT is sending me a new one. No connection and missed calls resulted in me having to reset the phone back to factory settings. I love this phone, but have a feeling it is a lemon.
-----------------------

These are my experiences with cell phones:

Up until about 1999, prepaid
1999 to about 2005, flip phone by ATT
2005 to 2008 Motorola Flip Phone V365: I spilled fingernail polish remover in and out this phone and it still turned on and worked the next day, but I decided to UPGRADE
2008 Samsung Eternity - great phone and nobody could hear me
2009 Samsung Impression - great phone and nobody could hear me
2010 - returned to Motorola V365 but I was getting bored so I went back to the Samsung Eternity
2011 - tired of people not being able to hear me I returned to the Motorola V365
Late 2011 - bored with the V365 I order a Samung Double time - nobody could hear me
2012 - returned to the V365 - bored I decided to order the ATRIX2
2012 - I am in love with the ATRIX 2
People can HEAR ME, the battery lasts about 1.5 days. The WI-FI works effortlessly. The internet accessibility and look is just like my Samsung Tablet; when you get ready to hang up, the screen reappears so you can hang up. The Double time screen didn't return so it was hard to hang up at the end of a call

Pros: Battery life; look, ease of use; internet access; wi-fi access; CALL QUALITY IS EXCEPTIONAL

Cons: Fragile; I had it a couple of weeks without a case and it fell and got dinged pretty bad; I immediately went and bought a case; NO OTHER CONS

Would I recommend? YES

ETA: The camera IS GREAT; I took a picture and it looked so gorgeous even my IPHONE co-worker was impression. The reviews state there is a shutter lag; a half a second is not really a lag; the Samsung Tablet has a 3 second lag NOW that is a lag.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›