PROS: good call quality, fast responsive interface, excellent price, Android 4.0 OS, durable construction, pretty HD screen
CONS: non-removable battery, camera not so good in low light(even with flash on), uh...it's not free

Published 20 months ago by phaley06

2.0 out of 5 stars Constant wifi problems and finicky battery
The Atrix HD is an overall above average phone with problems that keep it from being anything worth writing home about.

Published 11 months ago by Classtoise

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent phone. Better than other phones in its price range., July 26, 2012
This review is from: Motorola Atrix HD Android Phone, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)

I get a good discount on AT&T for being an LSU student, so I am sort of locked into AT&T. After scoping out the market at looking at my measly student budget, I decided that I would not pay more than $50 for a new phone. There are a few good AT&T smart phones out there for $50 or less such as the Nokia Lumia 900, Motorola Atrix HD, and LG Nitro HD which was free (at Best Buy's website with 2-year contract). The lowest price I found for the Lumia 900 was $19.99 and the Atrix HD was $49.99. I feel like all 3 of these phones are great for the money. Another phone that I liked for $49.99 was the Sony Xperia Ion, mostly because I love the look of it, but after doing further research I decided that the Sony was style over substance. Check the specs. It's basically the old LG Nitro HD with a better camera and more internal storage. But the LG is free.

The Lumia 900 looked really nice and has positive reviews all over the web, but I really like all the apps on the Android market, and I'm not sure I'm ready to try Windows on a phone yet. The LG Nitro HD is possibly the best free smartphone on the market for AT&T. It has similar features to popular Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket except with a nice HD screen and less internal storage. And it's free. However, I did not choose the Nitro because I felt an extra $50 was worth it to get a phone with much better hardware and a better operating system.

The Motorola Atrix HD is fast. I mean really fast. The internet blazes on the LTE network, and the software rarely ever lags. The touchscreen is also very responsive. It has a Snapdragon S4 processor - the same one that's in the Samsung Galaxy S III. It also has the same Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich operating system as the Galaxy S III (compared to the old Android 2.3 Gingerbread that is on the Nitro HD). Motorola has been very good about updating their phones with the latest operating systems, and I have no doubt that the Atrix HD will see updates to newer versions of Android (such as 4.1 Jellybean) in the future. I don't have the same confidence in LG, especially since the Nitro HD uses an older chip set. With the latest hardware and durable construction - Kevlar back and gorilla glass front - I feel like this phone will last me 2 years without a problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great phone for AT&T--but I don't believe as good as Verizon's Droid Razr, October 9, 2012
Let me say up front that I work FOR an AT&T authorized retailer, but before I joined, I had (and still have) a Verizon contract and use the Samsung Galaxy Note with my work and own a Droid Razr as my personal device. When I first saw the specs and photos of the Atrix HD I thought immediately: here is AT&T's version of the Razr. I noticed how thick it was and instantly assumed it would have the same 3300 mAH batter that the Razr Maxx comes with...I was wrong. Don't get me wrong, the Atrix HD IS pretty thin, but it IS almost exactly as thick as the Maxx and obviously not as thin as the VERY thin Razr. Apple is claiming the i5 is the thinnest phone on the market today and that would be entirely incorrect. Yes, it IS thin, but not Razr thin. Okay, so the HD isn't as thin, however I still expected the battery to be bigger--but unfortunately I was incorrect about that as well. The HD has the same size as the Razr, and yet is quite a bit chunkier. Color me clearly disappointed.

With that being said, the HD really IS a great phone...in my time selling AT&T phones I don't think ANY phone has sold as many as the HD has...and by quite a large margin. Its easy to see why with Android 4.0 right out of the box and a starting price of $49.99 (with most authorized carriers) it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to discover why so many are out there. However, I feel compelled to point out that a rather large number have come back to our store with disturbing problems, a large variety in fact. From just going dead to the phone literally bricking itself (which I've never previously heard of), there seems to be an abnormally large number of problems with this device. Don't get me wrong, when it works, its an absolutely awesome phone--however, for those who have received botched models, they have a decidedly different opinion, and I can understand why. Keep that in mind before purchase.

The screen is almost flawless...a departure from the Super Amoled Razr & Maxx, the HD has an LCD HD display with color-boost, which works VERY well. I would say that the color saturation is something you'll either love or dislike. Personally I think its brilliant. Even though the colors are technically improved, they still look great. The only other phone I believe which looks AS good is the HTC One X, which essentially has the same screen only without the color-boost enhancement.

Not sure that I like the way Motorola has started to address the ICS versions of their phones...and by that I mean coming with just a Main screen and you get to populate additional screens as you see fit. I suppose I was familiar with having 5-7 screens to start with and I could add or delete at my own discretion. Not everyone will see it my way on this, so I believe its a personal matter, but I thought I'd mention it all the same.

Having had my Razr update to ICS I knew what to expect with the layout and the 4.0 version works virtually flawless (aside from previously mentioned issues). A snappy and responsibe processor allows quite fluid screen transitions (which ought to get even better with Jellybean sometime soon). Call quality is what you'd expect for a Motorola, which is to say a notch above most considering the notoriety of Motorola receivers. The camera works about as good as you'd expect, however not as good ad the GSIII or the One X (which I personally believe to be the best on ANY phone--including the i5). The one major difference between the HD and the HTC and Samsung counterparts is in the Burst Shot mode. The other phones will essentially continue to snap photos as long as you depress the shutter button, whereas the HD snaps off 6 pics in about half-a-second. Not that you'd have the need to snap more than that at a time, but to be honest, I'd rather have the option to continue snapping photos like the other two phones, but again, this is probabaly a personal choice and your opinion may differ, which is fine. Android 4.0 brags about its No Lag Shutter camera, but I honestly haven't noticed it with the HD. Both the One X and GSIII really DO take instant pics as you press the shutter, but the HD still has a lag the other two don't. It is STILL better than camera's on Android devices which were released with Gingerbread and before, but not as fast as those other two, and the iPhone 5 for that matter. Something to consider.

The form factor is great, as you'd expect. Gorilla glass up front, a nano-coating which Motorola claims makes the phone 'Splash Resistent' (NOT to be confused with WaterPROOF, which NO phone is) and the Kevlar back make the HD a tougher-than-usual device, one that just may be right for you. I recommend dropping into your local dealer to SEE the phone IN PERSON before buying (like I recommend with ALL electronic purchases), otherwise, you may end up making a different choice.

Good luck, hope my review helped!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone for great price, September 11, 2012
This is probably one of the best phones from Motorola I have seen in a while. The smart actions piece works nicely, and I now have 3 of them operating after owning the phone for a week. Tasks like turning off wifi and GPS while at work, or syncing with my car for instance.

Screen looks great, although it can be a little bit bright. The SD card slot was a bit of a pain until I realized I had to turn off phone to add a new SD card. Worked immediately afterwards. The phone doesn't feel cheap, except for the sim and SD card slot door. I switched from an iPhone 4.

1.0 out of 5 stars Phone issues/Poor company support, November 28, 2013
My wife and I both purchased the Motorola Atrix HD. Within 2 months, my wife's phone died. Luckily, we were under warranty and replaced the phone, however no explanation of the problem was given. Within 15 days of the 1 year warranty expiring on my phone, the same problem occurred. No warning, phone just died. Both phones were well cared for, spent their lives in protective cases, charged with Motorola brand chargers and never exposed to water, extreme heat or cold. I contacted Motorola support and received little help. I researched this problem online and it seems to be a known issue with the Atrix HD, leading me to believe that the company should have recalled/offered fixes for these phones. Between the phone failure and the company not choosing to address the known issues I can neither recommend the Atrix HD or any Motorola product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Constant wifi problems and finicky battery, May 16, 2013

The most telling problem about the Atrix HD is that the wifi antennae is KNOWN to be poor, but neither AT&T nor Motorola will offer any suggestions or fixes, and if the constant dropping of viable wifi signals or refusing to connect costs you money because it consistently connects to 4G when it shouldn't have to? Oh well.

As of writing this review, my Atrix HD has, without any exaggeration, had no wifi connection for a week. A literal solid 7 day or greater period with little or no wifi connection. My computer, 3DS, and other devices connect just fine. There has been no explanation as of yet. This has caused it to intermittently connect to 4G to update everything in one guy.

Furthermore, the battery has been slowly draining quicker and quicker. After a 6 hour workday with occasional checking of facebook, texts, e-mail, etc. at work, it would normally end the day at about 45-50% battery. Now, I find it a rare occasion where the same instance with the same number of apps and settings doesn't leave me at 1-2%. Again, no explanation was offered and it is well before time for an upgrade.

In short, this phone is NOT worth the hassle. Anyone trying to upsell you on it as an upgrade is likely blowing smoke to move stock of a crummy model.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst cell phone I ever had to deal with!, April 2, 2014
First I want to say I got mine thru Cellular World. I just want to save someone else the grief I have had to go thru with my phone. I am on my second replacement phone. The original was contracted in February 2013. End of August 2013 it died. I was at home with the cell phone as the only communication I had. Mother in law was dying. My hubby had gone to her house. I tried to call out. They tried to call in. I had no way of communicating with anyone. Got the first replacement phone early September 2013. It lasted until the ice storm the end of Janiuary 2014. On the second replacement phone now. It is beginning to act up like the first two phones did.
You have been warned. Proceed with caution. 11 more months and I can dump this disappointing phone.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, November 13, 2013
I first got this phone in February last year, brand spanking new and all. I went to charge my phone in my car, and it turned off, that was almost a week ago. It still won't turn on after I left it alone for 3 days, left it in the charger, plugged it into the computer nothing. I even tried to reboot it. I tried calling Motorola, however since there is a non-removable battery the only way they could help me is to send it in, and get my entire phone wiped. I had all my pictures on the phone and they want me to send it in and wipe out my entire phone. Avoid buying this phone if you can help it!

Lesson learned, get a phone with a removable battery, at least then they can send you a new battery.

1.0 out of 5 stars Seriously the worst phone ever, September 12, 2013
We've had the phone for six months. We returned our first one because we thought we had a lemon. Now, another few months into the replacement, the same problems are returning: Calls are dropped, connections poor. The camera resolution sucks, giving every photo a pink tone. The battery won't keep a charge and the storage space claims to be full when there's PLENTY of space left. What a poor example of a product from a company that I used to respect.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad Screen, May 1, 2013
The phone itself is great, it has a very nice, clear HD display at to expected of. A great camera, high speed and everything. BUT, the screen cracked just from sitting in my front pocket. There is no good explanation as to why this happened except for it's a crappy screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Apple 5 who???, October 6, 2012
This is the best phone i have ever purchased!! And i have owned at least 20 in the past years. I have had absolutely no problem from day one! I have a friend who purchased the new Apple 5 and we compared each phone, features of the i5-phone were impressive but it was blown away by the Atrix and thats before you add the docking station, which turns it into a navigation/gps/phone/ect. I am very pleased and recommend this phone to anyone who wants to solve all of their sell phone proMotorola Atrix HD Android Phone, Black (AT&T)blems!!!

ARRAY(0x9291fbb8)