4.0 out of 5 stars Cool alternative to iPhone
I've had the BackFlip since the day it was released and I'm having fun exploring all the functions. I'm so glad that I went to see the phone for myself rather than relying on reviews from the various geek sites. Several claimed that the phone is crippled and limited which made me quite apprehensive. However, for my needs, it fits the bill so far.

I had a...
Published on March 12, 2010 by M. Jecha

3.0 out of 5 stars I love my old O2 better.
I just got the Backflip yesterday and I already found some good and bad.
Pros:
1. Fast
2. I love the Keyboard.
3. All the social feature you could name of.
4. Nice Screen.
5. Desktop mode is neat.

Cons:
1. Can't install Untrusted or custom software (what is the point for Open Source??!!)
2. I lost my Slingbox...
Published on March 17, 2010 by Clement Ho

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool alternative to iPhone, March 12, 2010
M. Jecha (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Motorola BACKFLIP with Motoblur Phone (Wireless Phone)

I had a short list of "have to have" features:

Good signal - Check - I've experienced better signal than my Samsung windows mobile phone
Touch screen - Check - pretty large, given the small phone size
Keypad - Check - Larger keys than my last phone, great for texting and browsing!
Decent camera - Check - 5.0MP baby! With flash! Again, better than last phone
Multi-window Web browser - Check - Up to 4, plenty for me. Changed home page to Google and I'm good to go!
Apps - Check - Market has large assortment and I've downloaded several already. Enjoying bar code reader and Amazon apps.
SD Expansion - Check - up to 32GB

I'm new to the Android, but I like the intuitive interface, plus Motoblur and the weather, calendar and message widgets, but I'm sure I'm just scratching the surface. I'm not one to indiscriminately download software all over the web, so open access outside the Market is not a deal breaker for me. The one complaint I'd have is that I'd like to get rid of some of the preloaded AT&T apps that I won't use...or at least find a way to hide them, but I can work around that till I figure something out.

Bottom line, love the phone and I don't miss the things that others have complained about. I'm a geek, but apparently not as geeky as some. It cost me less than the windows mobile phone I had, plus has better features, it's lighter, faster AND IT'S NOT an iPhone, so it's all good!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Start, March 9, 2010
Amazon Customer (Jacksonville, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Motorola BACKFLIP with Motoblur Phone (Wireless Phone)
I'd like to correct something another reviewer said. You can actually install applications from the web. I tested one of these phones out in the store and successfully downloaded, installed, and ran the Pandora application. The phone has a really nice interface. The touch screen seemed responsive and intuitive, and the navigation not difficult to figure out. Yes, like all other AT&T phones, this comes with some applications pre-loaded, but you can also expand the memory on this to 32GB, so it would be an exaggeration to claim that these few items affect the usability of the phone. I hope to receive the one I ordered this week and will leave a more in-depth review then, but don't let a few gut reactions dissuade you from trying this phone for yourself.

Now that I've had it a few days, I have to say I'm very glad I got it. The only real issue I've had so far was in transferring my contacts. For some reason, when I tried to copy them all from my old SIM I only got one number per person and no other related data (birthdays, addresses, etc.). So I am still working on fixing that little issue, but the rest of the phone is great. I've installed a number of other applications with no problems, and for those of you concerned that you cannot install anything from outside of the Android market, do a little research and I'm sure you'll find a way around that issue. Personally, I haven't yet found a need for that.

As the the things I love, I'll start with five customizable home screens. Having the ability to make this look however I want with the shortcuts, widgets, and background I choose is awesome, and puts this heads above the iPhone in my opinion. I personally always hated having to scroll through the multiple screens on the iPhone just to find the one thing I wanted. The ability to have everything about a contact show up in one place no matter how many different accounts that person has and different ways I communicate with them is amazing and another way I feel this beats the iPhone hands-down, and the "happenings" widget that displays it all real-time is designed to make it all very intuitive. The ability to make this into a nice alarm clock by opening it at a 90 degree angle is very cool and came in quite handy when traveling this past weekend... especially the fact that not only did it show the time, but the current weather/temperature conditions as well. The integration with all my various accounts (social, email, photos, etc.) is so useful and seemless that I already can barely imagine how I lived without it. The 5 megapixel camera and integrated flash are nice and can take some amazing pictures outside (and inside if you can hold your hands steady), and the ability to directly upload those photos to picassa, facebook, emails, etc. makes this feature even better. Having the camera integrated into the keyboard seems a little odd at first, but makes taking self-portraits so much easier, and having it record your location from the integrated GPS while taking the photos is very nice! The flash is crazy bright though, and the response time is a bit slower that I'd like so it probably won't fully replace my digital camera, but as a phone, I never expected that it would. Battery life so far has been pretty good. I've been running numerous applications on it while testing it out this first week, but I would say the drain seems about right for that. I'm sure once the novelty wears off a bit and I stop messing with it every few minutes it will last much longer, but I would say the specs seem about right.

Overall, it's a strong product. The interface can be a bit laggy at times, but so can all the other phones out there when you're running as many applications simultaneously as I have been. The buttons and placement of things is taking some getting used to, but I have no real complaints over the design of the phone. If it weren't for the extra work I've had to put in to get my contacts copied from my old phone I'd have given a full 5 stars. Honestly though, if you're like me and have been waiting for a good alternative to the iPhone on AT&T that had actual buttons, this is a good choice. The Android OS is very user friendly and there are already lots of applications out there for you to try out.

---------------Update 3/17/10------------------
I have had to contact support to send back the phone after an overheating incident yesterday has rendered the product completely non-functional. I am hoping this is an isolated incident, but it's very early in the release of the unit to tell for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Continues to be a great smartphone!, May 14, 2010
HDS "stewcanoe" (Wheelersburg, OH) - See all my reviews
UPDATE NUMBER 2 :D
Even happier with this phone now than I was before! I have gotten used to using it and it is like second nature. The little touchpad is a life saver. (Discussed below...) A few other things I have noticed are:
1. that the phone is narrow enough to easily reach all areas of the screen with your thumb while holding the phone normally. On my old phone you had to either use two hands or wallow the phone around in your hand to get your thumb on everything. Though the screen is physically smaller on the Backflip, it is much easier to use and navigate on.
2. The phone and screen are very durable. Mine survived a serious drop of about 10 feet while I was on a ladder. (Yeah yeah. I know. I shouldn't have been using my phone while climbing on a ladder.) Anyway, I dropped the phone onto concrete. The plastic was scuffed up a bit but has had no detrimental effect on the phone.
3. I can play YouTube videos. Evidently iPhone (or the Safari browser) cannot.

So after 6 months I can say I am still very very happy with the Backflip. I will post another update once the Android software update rolls out.

UPDATE :)
I have now had the phone a few months and can still say that I am as pleased with this phone as I have been with anything I have ever bought. It has turned out to be a great smartphone. The apps store may have something to do with that. You can download video players, office tools, games, etc... Even some pretty decent E6B flight calculators! There are a couple of apps I suggest you download right off the bat. The first is Advanced Task Killer from Rechild, or another tool to manage apps. The apps killer lets you shut down apps without having to go to each one and close it down individually. While multi-tasking is great, you can end up with quite a few apps running in the background. Advanced Task Killer lets you manage them more efficiently than you would using the default tools. A good file manager also helps. OI File is a good one. Another good app is Save MMS, which lets you save photos attached to messages. There are also a number of good games and music players. Many of them very inexpensive or even free! Anyway, I liked the phone before, and I like it even better now. The only thing I can think of that needs improvement, is the voice dialing, (mentioned below).

Original review:
I have to admit that this phone took a bit of getting used to. I have had it now about a month and couldn't be happier. My previous smart phone worked great as a phone and to text, but sucked at everything else. Anyway, the AT&T sales agent said this phone was targeted at the "online generation" with a lot of features for Facebook, twitter, email, etc. And it has all that. Motoblur is not just ad hype. It syncs it all. But not only is the Backflip great for all that stuff, it is a very capable business phone as well. It has completely replaced my old phone and my iPaq. And works better than both.

Anyway, here is my rating system. Great :D Good :) Average :| Poor :/ Bad :(

WEIGHT AND DURABILITY :)
The phone is fairly lightweight. Heavier than some other phones, but still easy enough to carry. It feels very well built and solid. Does not have that flimsy feel some other phones have. Nice and narrow. Fairly thin but a little thicker than some other texting phones.

BATTERY LIFE :)
Normally, I can go two days before charging. If I turn on the WiFi while at work, then I have to charge every night. I have never needed to charge the battery during the day. Motorola does not include a car charger, but it accepts micro-USB chargers which can be found inexpensively just about anywhere.

OS and SYNCING :)
The Backflip runs on Android. Completely different than Windows Mobile. It doesn't have anything like Windows ActiveSync, but you can use Google sync. After a little work I installed Google sync which works very well. Syncing occurs over the air so no cables to plug in. I also like being able to attach the phone as a USB storage device. When you plug your phone into a USB port you can choose to attach as USB or charge only. It disconnects the SIM card when used as a USB but it has come in handy a couple of times. The SIM automatically restarts when you unplug the USB cable. You have to buy AT&T's data plan, but the phone is WiFi capable, which speeds up internet browsing experience.

STORAGE: The phone accepts microSD cards. Mine came with a 2GB card included.

POWER ON AND SCREEN LOCK :)
The screen lock function is simple and works one handed. Press the power button, then tap on the unlock area. If you choose a security code, that also can be entered one handed as the numbers are large and easy to tap on. Unfolding the phone also turns it on.

PHONE :D
Leave it folded and it works like most other touch screen phones. Apps come up on the screen and you tap to activate. Tapping the phone icon brings up a very simple and easy to use dialer. One handed phone use is the norm. This phone is made for thumb dialing. The narrow size and large numbers make it very easy to use. On this screen you can also select recent calls, speed dial, or frequently called numbers. Sound quality is superb and as a speaker phone it ranks with the best. The volume can be turned up very high. (Sound gets a little gravely at full volume but still good.) I have not had any dropped calls. I have seen a lot of complaints about AT&T's network but I can't say I have ever had a problem. So I don't know if this is something specific to the phone or the network. Anyway, I have not had a problem.

TEXTING and KEYBOARD :D
Unfold the keyboard and it makes a great texting phone. With my previous phone I found having a real keyboard, (no matter how small) dramatically increases the usability of texting. At least for me. You can develop a feel for where letters and numbers are that I just never got with the touchscreen keyboards. The only complaint I have is that the numbers are tucked up against the top and you have to be very deliberate when pressing them. Still this is a great keyboard. I like the feel and it is spread out enough that even my fat fingers have no trouble. The virtual screen keyboard is OK, but I find the real keyboard better.

APPS :D
There are plenty of apps on the Android Market, and finding and installing them is a piece of cake. I use spreadsheets a lot and I was able to download the same program for this phone that I used on my old phone. Editing documents is also easy using the keyboard. Plus there are all the usual pre-installed run of the mill apps: calendar, calculator, etc... They all work just like you expect them to.

TOUCHPAD?!? WTF?!?! :D
Speaking of spreadsheets, there is this strange little touch pad on the back of the touch screen that you use just like a touch pad on a laptop. I thought it was weird at first, but I have come to love it. It makes scrolling around a spreadsheet a joy. Much easier than swiping or using the arrow keys. I know some people who think it's a waste, but I like it. Nice job Motorola.

MP3 PLAYER :)
It makes a pretty good music device. Sound is good but I thought it got a little gravely at close to full volume. Even with earbuds. I do like the AT&T radio. Actually works very well. Makes up for not having an FM radio built in. Ringtones are MP3 as well. Lots of apps for those.

CAMERA and VIDEO :)
There is a 5 MP camera and a video capture app. The camera works well and has the best flash I have seen on a camera phone. Prints from the phone pics are very sharp. The video seems to work well but I haven't really used it that much. Still it's neat to have.

MULTITASKING :)
You can run multiple apps on the phone while making a call. I did it just to see if it worked. I don't know that this is a great advantage but you can do it. It can get confusing pretty fast.

VOICE DIALING :(
Motorola claims that this phone has voice dialing capability. I could not get it to work well enough to be useful. They could not get it to work well at the AT&T store either. I will miss voice dialing, as my old phone had pretty good voice dialing capability. Voice dialing on this phone just doesn't seem to work well. Very poor recognition. (Just browse on AT&T's support site and you can find a lot of other Backflip users with the same complaint.) I would rate voice dialing on this phone as bad. It is so bad that I think Motorola should not even pretend they offer it.

SCREEN PROTECTION :)
It has a glass screen. Nice, but because the phone flips backwards (leaving both the keyboard and screen exposed) I suggest you use a screen and keyboard protector. Being glass, the screen shouldn't scratch easily but I feel better with a cover on it anyway. Motorola offers a two piece cover that works well for less than $10.00. I am using one that the AT&T store threw in for free when I got the phone. Does not seem to affect the touch screen sensitivity and keeps the keys up off the surface when you lay it down. I do not use a case. I just drop the phone in my pocket.

CLOCK :D
Another neat feature that is a bit different, is that when unfolded halfway and plugged into charge the phone becomes a bedside alarm clock. Not just a phone with an alarm, but a classy looking bedside alarm clock. Pretty nifty. It also has all the normal clock and alarm functions.

OVERALL :)
In summery, this is first and foremost, a really good phone. It also makes for a nice tool to manage your online stuff. A pretty good music player. A very capable business tool. A good game device. Nice camera and video camera. A very nice alarm clock. And a great texting phone. Once you get used to it, I think you will like it. The only feature that is below par, (especially for Motorola) is the voice dialing.
Anyway, this is a "different" type of phone. But different isn't always bad. In this case it's great. Good job Motorola.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice phone, April 6, 2010
**Android 2.1 Update (Nov 12)**
It's out! I've had it for about a week now. In addition to the things that just come with Android 2.1 (eg, updated browser and maps, navigation, etc), Motorola also improved a few things. First and foremost, Yahoo! is gone, for those that prefer Google. (If you prefer Yahoo!, well ... I guess that's a con.) The battery charge indicator LED now can also function as a notification LED (you need to enable it in settings first). The screenlock screen is a bit different now, and turns on every time you wake the phone, regardless of how long the screen has been off. This keeps the phone from pocket-dialing (see cons, below). The Motoblur widgets look different now, though I'm not sure if they function any different than they used to. I did notice that Happenings uses a lot less cpu than it used to. They also added a few widgets, like toggles for Airplane mode, Wifi, BT, etc. Many people report improved performance, but I haven't noticed any. Battery performance seems about the same as on 1.5.

I should also point out that there are no Live Wallpapers or multitouch. The wallpapers were disabled for performance reasons, and touchscreen hardware never supported multitouch in the first place (unlike the Droid's touchscreen).

**Old Review**
I wasn't looking for much in a phone: a webkit-based browser, a gps, a full qwerty physical keyboard. If I wasn't so sick of BB's Browser I might have gotten a Bold 9700, but the only phone on AT&T's network at the time that fit the bill was the Backflip (there are more options now). Most mainstream reviews of the phone were bad, but there just wasn't much in the way of alternatives, so I went to the store, tried it out. Since it seemed ok, picked it up anyway.

I have now had this phone for about 8 months. There are a lot of reviews of it around the internet, so I'll try not to rehash too much of what's already in those reviews.

Pros:
* Battery life is fine, though I find myself having to kill certain resource-hungry apps constantly (Market and Browser are the biggest offenders). It will last through a whole day (possibly two, depending on usage) on one charge, but not much longer than that.
* It's pretty small
* Keyboard is huge, especially for a phone this size, and is made from a single piece of plastic without seams (resists water and dust better than BBs). Still, some doming in the horizontal direction would have been appreciated.
* Screen is pretty nice (160dpi); similar to the iPhone3G/Pre's but not as good as, say, the Droid's.
* Gorilla Glass screen (no screen protector needed)
* Dual microphones for background noise cancellation
* Call quality/reception is fantastic, even in my apartment, where signal is usually poor
* I don't use Motoblur widgets, but the Motoblur service itself is pretty snazzy (contact aggregation, linking, and backup); it is functionally identical to Palm's Synergy.
* Remote wipe (via Motoblur)
* It's an Android phone (obvious, I know)

Cons:
* Sideloading is possible, but cumbersome
* Cannot reorder any lists (folder contents, bookmarks, etc)
* Browser UI could use some improvement
* Not as configurable as the Pearl (menus, email ... basically everything)
* Only pushes from MS Exchange (typical for non-BBs, I think)
* When you have the keyboard flipped out, if you turn off the display and close the keyboard quickly, the screen will turn back on. This used to make it pocket-dial all the time (see 2.1 update, above).
* No track-ball/pad when phone is closed (obvious, right?)
* Cons from other reviews (UI occasionally hangs, non-removable AT&T cruft, etc)

Conclusions:
For the price, I think the phone is pretty good. It's not the cutting edge Android phone that nerds stuck on AT&T have been clamoring for, but it also isn't priced like one. The novel design allows for a large keyboard, which is a big plus in my book (I can't stand software keyboards). I really love the fact that Motoblur pulled contact info (including profile pictures) from my Facebook and email accounts. More than that, all your contact info (including manually entered data like contact linking) is backed up on Motorola's servers, so if you ever wipe or reset the phone, fully restoring your contacts is just a Motoblur login away. The phone's flaws are not fatal, in my opinion, and in fact it performs better than I expected it to, based on mainstream news reviews.

Notes:
* If you don't know what sideloading is, then it isn't important to you.
* SD card is hot-swappable (yay!), but it's in the battery compartment (boo!).
* The keyboard is recessed and only lightly domed, so if you lay it on a flat surface, it won't scratch.
* I kind of like backtrack, though it'd be a lot more useful if I could use it in portrait orientation. Unfortunately, that isn't physically possible. With that in mind, I think an optical trackpad like on HTC Desire or the BB Bolds would have been better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good phone misunderstood, Lazy reviewers, March 13, 2010
This review is from: Motorola BACKFLIP with Motoblur Phone (Wireless Phone)
First, I would like to say this phone is a great alternative to the iphone. Second, the QWERTY keyboard is great. The keys are responsive and they are big enough for my fat fingers. HA!

Battery issues - The reviewers who are having a hard time with keeping a charge, download Power Manager. Its free and it will switch your settings when your battery starts to drain. Any phone will not last if you have the screen at its highest brightness, and GPS on all the time.

Moto Blur - Its a social program on top of the Android system and it can be intrusive when you dont want it. If you dont like it dont pair any accounts with it and ignore it.

Non-market Apps - for the people worried about not being able to install apps from other sites other then the android market. Install the SDK and just install them that way.

Tethering - PDAnet, great app to run your laptop or desktop internet from your phone. Works, and try to do that with the iphone, you cant.

Yahoo as the default search widget - OOOHHHH.... NOOOO.... get over it. Use the browser and set the home page to google. Done! Now quit complaining.

Flash - This phone has been slated to receive the new flash 10.1 for mobile phones. The iphone is not.

Android 2.1 - this phone is getting upgraded. So get over the 1.5.

Finally, this phone rocks and if someone trys to tell you different just remember. They either have a iphone or want a Android phone and cant afford it.

3.0 out of 5 stars I love my old O2 better., March 17, 2010
This review is from: Motorola BACKFLIP with Motoblur Phone (Wireless Phone)
I just got the Backflip yesterday and I already found some good and bad.
Pros:
1. Fast
2. I love the Keyboard.
3. All the social feature you could name of.
4. Nice Screen.
5. Desktop mode is neat.

Cons:
2. I lost my Slingbox because they don't support Android.
3. I lost my Sirius radio Online (Not support in Android)
4. Still running Android 1.5 (upgrade able to 2.1 just need to wait.)
5. Have to have the protection casing or you will be really sorry if you don't. all the starches you can get and you have to protect the keyboard.

I ordered my phone online from ATT. When I received the phone, there is some pixel problem. I take it back to ATT core store to get another phone, which work perfectly now. Just in case, in SD storage management under setting, there is a master reset which I didn't find it until later after I returned my problem phone. Anyway, if you see your screen doesn't look right, it properly it is not right. I am really disappointed that it won't allow untrust provider software to install, it is because of ATT not Google. Verizon Droids allows it. And I slammed with 50 bucks unlimited data and text plan. That was a little surprise because I didn't read the fine print.

I used to have my O2 Atom Life for last 3 years. Love it and hate it.
Love it because it does everything I want it to do. Really everything. Millions of apps out there: certify & non-certify. Hate it because it is windows and it crashes and need reboot freq. 3 times I had to do a clear boot and lost all the data which is not fun at all.
Besides after 3 years of plug in and out, the USB and the headset plug starts loosing. And my unlimited data and text plan was only 30 bucks a month.

Nexus is releasing for ATT. If you have to use ATT, wait for it. And wait for the review to see if it will lock down everything like iPhone.

5.0 out of 5 stars very satisfied, March 16, 2010
oldsoup (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Motorola BACKFLIP with Motoblur Phone (Wireless Phone)
I have used my son's iPhone, but didn't like it so much. Then I got the Backflip on Mar 7. The 5 home screens were full of AT&T and Yahoo icons. I changed them all, putting back the Google Map, Gmail. Now it is just a normal Android phone.

I also like the flipped out keyboard. The keys are big, and feel well.

There is just one thing I don't like: The 3 touch buttons beside the touch screen. I often accidentally touch them. I wish they were hard buttons so I can use that space to hold the phone.

Added 3/26/2010: I found that whenever I use the phone's camera, the phone reboots. Sometimes it happens after taking 2 photos, sometimes after 5 photos. Using the camcorder will reboot the phone also. Very repeatable. It doesn't help to reformat the microSD card, as someone suggested.

Added 3/27/2010: I went to an AT&T store to exchange for a new Motorola Backflip, because of my old Backflip's problem of self-rebooting. The new phone is free of the rebooting problem, and everything works just fine. The software version is the same; maybe they fixed the problem after the initial launch; just a guess.

4.0 out of 5 stars so far so good, March 14, 2010
This review is from: Motorola BACKFLIP with Motoblur Phone (Wireless Phone)
I was very hesitant to get this phone like others but i wanted so badly to have an android phone so i figured i would just do it knowing the next droid phone for att wont be coming out for 3 months. So far so good i actaully like the phone alot more than i thought i would the track pad on the back takes a bit to get use to but is actually very helpfull. My brother has the verizon droid and i can say the one thing it has is a bigger screen but 3.1 is not bad. Few things I would like to respond to about other reviews. You can download apps dont believe every thing you read from some that said they didnt even open the box. I got lots of apps already and they are tons of fun to mess with. Att did swap their browser for yahoo witch is stupid and petty but download opera browser and you can use google all day long and its a faster browser anyway. Call quality is actually quite good I was pleasently suprised over my samsung. 2 other things that sold me where 1 the glass is made of gorilla glass which is very strong and scratch resistant and 2 the keyboard is sealed to militay spec and is water resistant. All in all I would tell you stop by a att store give it a spin and find out for yourself if your unsure but I am enjoying mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Phone, March 13, 2010
This review is from: Motorola BACKFLIP with Motoblur Phone (Wireless Phone)
I almost didn't get this phone because everyone seemed to dislike it when it came out but I'm glad I decided not to listen to them, this phone is awesome all around. I love the apps and there will just be more to come. It's really easy to use and it's lightening fast on bringing up web pages or anything for that matter. It is completely comparable to the iphone 3gs and neither is really better than the other, it is just personal preference. All of my friends are really jealous of this phone for one reason or another. AT&T will let you try it for thirty days and if you don't like it you can take it back and get another phone and all you have to pay is a thirty five dollar restocking fee. I recommend it highly and everyone whom I've let play around with it seems to agree.

1.0 out of 5 stars HOT phone - literally, June 19, 2010
Gina (Somewhere Too Far From The Beach) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Motorola BACKFLIP with Motoblur Phone (Wireless Phone)
My Backflip got sent back within a week. If I would use it, for apps or calls, for more than 5 minutes at a time it would get hot to the touch. On calls, it would get so hot that my cheek would turn red from the heat. I personally do not recommend the Backflip.

Rate and Discover Movies