Let me open with something handy to know; this controller will work on most recent Android devices that support the HID (keyboard/mouse) protocol.

Published on March 27, 2012 by ScOObydoo

3.0 out of 5 stars Has its perks
** On opening the box **
- ships charged well enough to use right out of the box
- comes with charging cable, but no charger (USB-USB, no USB-AC)

** On HTC Nexus One with Gingerbread 2.3.7 **
Published on March 26, 2012 by ut158

3.0 out of 5 stars Has its perks, March 26, 2012
This review is from: Motorola Bluetooth Smart Controller for Android - Bluetooth Headset - Retail Packaging - Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
** On opening the box **
- ships charged well enough to use right out of the box
- comes with charging cable, but no charger (USB-USB, no USB-AC)

** On HTC Nexus One with Gingerbread 2.3.7 **
- Identifies, Pairs, and Connects quickly
- All default buttons work except Menu and Mute (does not mute phone's system volume, did not test call volume)
- Multi-touch scrolling works
- Works as a remote phone, but it takes some finesse to get it to do so (see note below)

** On Samsung Galaxy Nexus with ICS 4.0.4 **
- Identifies, Pairs, and Connects quickly
- All default buttons work except Mute (does not mute phone's system volume, did not test call volume)
- (Swiftkey) Keyboard input is missing when paired, and so is phone unlock number pad
- Multi-touch scrolling works

** On Motorola Xoom Pro with ICS 4.0.3 **
- Identifies and Pairs, but doesn't connect first time
- Finally connected after removing pair and re-pairing
- Pinch-zooming and rotate don't work
- Other multi-touch functions work like swiping and scrolling
- Mute and Phone buttons don't work, all others do
- Keyboards are disabled while paired

** On Windows 7 Ultimate x64 computer **
- Identifies the device, but took a while to pair. When it does finally pair, it does so as Generic HID at first. After several more minutes, Windows 7 does detect it as Hands-free Telephony and Headset and it pairs to it as such... I just can't seem to figure out how to get it to use it that way once it's in the system devices list.
- Works like a mouse. Tracks well, main button clicks and touches activate normal left-click
- Right-click is performed with Search button, Start Menu is performed with Menu button, Back Button cancels clicks
- Home key is the same as using the keyboard's Home key
- Volume, Mute, and Phone keys don't seem to do anything
- Speaker and Microphone are not functional out of the box as additional audio devices

** On Macbook Air OS X Snow Leopard **
- Detected as Headset device and a separate Mouse device
- Pairing took several attempts, power cycling the RZ100 several times before it negotiated correctly for Mouse use
- Headset pairing doesn't seem to work. Error: "This device does not have the necessary services." Would love to see this area enabled. Skype and similar solutions would be great with it.
- Mouse works. Buttons have obvious functions. Search button doesn't seem to do anything useful.
- Volume controls the Mac's volume
- Pinch features don't work, but multi-touch scrolling does

** General Experience **
The buttons are nice enough, but an integrated app on the Android device would have been nice so that custom buttons like those relating to media functions could exist. The mouse cursor is small and slow on Android, which is a major inconvenience. The speed of the tracking can be changed, but the overall experience is enough of an annoyance to just not use the device with Android. It was weird having to depress the main button pad as a giant mouse button - I'm used to capacitive touch events. On a normal computer, if the mouse speed is accelerated, it's pretty tolerable and a neat novelty that gets attention.

The vibrator in it is really strong. Stronger than my Nexus vibrator. You definitely notice it in the pocket, though the ringer is a bit quiet.

If giving a presentation, this works pretty well as a presenter's mouse on a real computer. An actual ball on top like a trackball would make the use of the mouse a lot nicer, but then there's the tradeoff of the multi-touch.

It can charge off the computer's USB power, so that's also a plus.

Unfortunately, no Motorola phones or iPad/iPhone/Blackberry available to try, so this was a test of everything else.

** Getting the phone functions to work with my Nexus phone **
At first it appears that the headset feature is unavailable, but it IS available--it just takes a lot longer for the headset device to become visible. On the phone, I had to search for devices at least 6 times before the headset device of the RZ100 showed up. The key is to NOT pair the mouse first. If it does, there's a good chance it'll stop trying to pair. Pair the headset first, then search again for devices on the phone and then pair the mouse device.

The Galaxy Nexus does not support a button-enabled voice command, but there may be an app that enables that. So pressing the phone button doesn't do anything.

One advantage of using this as a phone with your phone is that you can charge your phone and talk using this device. This could be really handy if you are on a long conference call, for example. If your phone batter gets too low, turn this device on and charge the phone. When this device starts getting low, switch back to the phone and charge this device. Note that the headset feature does NOT work with music. Only phone calls. That's pretty reasonable though.

** And the verdict is... **
I gave this product 3 stars because it has a nice cool-factor and I can see its benefit as a remote mouse for a computer. I thought it was a little awkward for use with my Android devices and I'm not sure I would have ever found an every-day use for it. At this price point, that is certainly something to consider. Still, I think I WOULD HAVE liked this device overall, EXCEPT...
I got one of these as a "free sample". The unit I was given seems to have been abused in transit or something because the touch pad area had scuffs/scratches right out of the box and after only a few hours of use, the unit quit functioning completely. Amazon has an excellent return policy and if I had purchased this, I know they would have sent a speedy replacement. However, because it was free and because they don't have any more inventory of free samples to send, then I guess that's all the sample I'll be getting. I did not take any stars off of this because I don't think it's fair to base an opinion of build quality off of a unit that appears to be a lemon out of the batch of (potentially) good units.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant device with a limited use (works on most android devices), March 27, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

The basics are simple - this is a mouse, 4 button controller and Bluetooth handset all in one. The way you use this is equally simple - pair with your tablet or phone, connect your phone to your TV using its dock or Mini/Micro HDMI cable, then sit back on the sofa and use the Motorola Smart Controller as a remote. Use the mouse to pick a movie, and if a call happens to come in, you can pick it up on the handset. While this sounds absolutely brilliant, it means you get to pay $90 for the luxury of not having to get up and touch your screen or order a $20 headset.

If you are into gadgets (and I am), you'll LOVE this thing. I used it last week in a hotel room with my Motorola Xoom - plugged the Xoom into the TV, and when a call came in (using Groove IP, a Google Voice client), I took the call on the controller. So, to me as a geek, this is definitely worth $90 - but to someone less geeky (and less lazy), it may be worthwhile to spend that money on something else...

Build quality is good - the mouse responds nicely and the call quality is excellent. Motorola makes excellent headsets, so a good voice quality is to be expected. The Smart Controller charges over microUSB, and a charger is included. One other plus - it has a "real" on/off slider switch.

Only downsides? It lacks a carrying case/pouch.

One other upside? It works on your PC as well! I paired it with my Lenovo and could use it as a mouse and headset with Skype. The buttons did not work right, as they are assigned to Android keys.

I tested it on my Xoom, Transformer Prime, Galaxy Nexus and Windows 7 machine. In all cases, it worked as it should. Some comments mentioned that the mute button didn't work on their Android device, but I'm pretty sure the mute button actually only controls the headset, and isn't transmitted as a mute command to your device.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Compatible with Nexus 5, Galaxy S5, Tegra Note 7 - Compatibility Limited, November 21, 2014
PolloLoco (East Hartford, CT) - See all my reviews
I bought this on clearance from another website for a much lower price. But, because I didn't purchase from Amazon - I can't return it, so there's the rub. It's probably barely worth the $12 I spent, but for that price there are better air mice available.

I hoped this would work on my Tegra Note 7 tablet and Nexus 5 - so that I could connect them to my TV, and control them while still charging. Unfortunately - while both paired, the mouse never worked. I then experimented with other devices around the house and from friends, and found limited compatibility - which meant mine wasn't just broken.

Nexus 5 (Android 5.0)- Mouse and Headset pair. No cursor appears, Android buttons don't work. Didn't test Headset.

Tegra Note 7 (Android 4.4) - Exact same performance as Nexus 5.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Android 4.4) - Friend's device. Headset paired, mouse "couldn't communicate" per bluetooth settings.

RK3188 Mini PC (MK809III, SMIC kernel) - Mouse Pairs and works OK. No headset. Required changing mouse speed in settings to be usable. Occasional disconnects. Multi-touch options didn't work.

Windows 7 Laptop - Headset pairs, Mouse doesn't even show up.

Windows 8.1 Asus T100 Tablet - Mouse pairs, headset doesn't show up. Friend's device - he reported the mouse moved really slow, so it would also require changing the mouse settings.

I'm going to keep it in a drawer - hoping that it will be useful for a future Windows 8.1 tablet I plan to buy. Otherwise, proceed with caution, knowing that it's unlikely to work unless Motorola cites explicit compatibility.

If Motorola decides to improve a next gen of this device, I'd recommend improving compatiblity first. I also recommend that it be possible to transfer all bluetooth audio to this device (like a bluetooth headset) - and provide a 3.5mm jack. It would be useful for quiet listening as well as remote control.

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm not sure this product is necessary, June 9, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This did pair quickly with my Motorola phone but I found little value. It's not a very good remote control and the phone doesn't put out a true hi-def signal. I like new gadgets but when you can't describe what it does on the box, you've probably made something that doesn't need to exist. Maybe I should have spent more time with this but: Sorry Motorola but this was a dud for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does NOT work with Google Nexus 4, June 18, 2013
Dave Tavres (Southern California) - See all my reviews
So sad... it does NOT work with my Google Nexus 4 Android phone with the NEWEST version of Android.

I just got the SlimPort connector so I could use this remote but, while it SAYS it supports any Android phone - it does not. Too bad I don't have the box to return this :(

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work with my Android smartphone even though the devices are paired, March 20, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Note: This rating does not reflect product functionality because it did not work on my Samsung android phone. It reflects my dissatisfaction with the manufacturer who did not provide sufficient information AND who provided what appears to be inaccurate information as regards the compatibility of smartphones to use with this device. I was really psyched to use this and disappointed that it did not work. Unfortunately, we don't have any other smartphones to test it on. If this works as described, it could be a very relevant and useful product. Emphasis on the word "IF."

Let me preface my comments by saying that I am someone who reads product information (specs, system requirements, etc.) before buying, does research and reads instructions, etc. That said, I do rely on companies providing relevant and accurate information on compatibility in ads and write-ups for new devices and products at the "point of sale" whether it's an Amazon page or elsewhere. All it takes is one line that says something like: "May NOT be compatible with your phone. Go to (URL) to check devices that are currently compatible with your TK." or even "We cannot guarantee that your smartphone will work with this product even if it meets the requirements noted elsewhere."

Before ordering this, I read the information on the Amazon page. The text reads:
"Android Compatible
The Smart Controller works with both Android phones and tablets
Compatible with all Android devices that support the Bluetooth HID (Human Interface Device) profile"

One would think that this means if your Android smartphone supports Bluetooth AND you can connect it to a TV via HDMI that this "controller" would work with your phone, wouldn't you? Wrong--even though my Android smartphone's bluetooth says it IS paired with the Motorola controller device.

Since I saw no link to the Motorola site to check for compatibility before ordering, I assumed that one did not exist (I mean if it did, wouldn't you include it in the Amazon write-up?)

After setting it up and the device not working, I looked around on the box (I had already looked in the small booklet that came with it. Nothing relevant on its half page "Troubleshooting" section.)

In minute, white (drop-out) type you can barely read (There's also a qr code to scan with your smartphone, which I did. It took me to a 404 error page.) on the side of the box, you'll see [...]. Once I reached this page, there was text on the left side of the page that said: "Device Not Compatible. The Smart Controller is not compatible with your current device. Please see below for compatible devices. "

When I looked at the list below, all I saw were Motorola smartphone models.

What? If this is ONLY for use with Motorola android smartphones why not just say that in the write-ups?

Manufacturers need to be up front about what other products do or don't work with their products. When you order online, you rely on information in the write-up to be accurate and complete. At the least, put up all relevant information, including what is on the box.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great idea - horrible execution, September 9, 2014
Great idea - horrible execution. The touchpad is skippy, there is no setting to adjust the speed of the pointer or sensitivity of the touchpad, so on note 3 it takes 15 swipes to get across the screen. I hope they make a better one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! It works flawlessly with the Zoom tablet, September 6, 2014
Fantastic! It works flawlessly with the Zoom tablet, and the built in rechargeable battery lasts for days.Plugged into a compatible television (HDMI), the Zoom can be controlled by this device and be used on a whole new level.The controller does take some time to get used to, but if you like gadgets, and have a Motorola Zoom this is a great add on.

1.0 out of 5 stars I loved this device until it stoppped charging, January 13, 2014
Works great as a remote mouse on my Android HTPC. After only 3 months of use it stopped charging. I contacted PortTronics and it was beyond the 30-day warranty. They referred me to Motorola as it was still covered under the 1 year manufacturer warranty. I have spent over 2 hours on hold and called 8 different Motorola phone numbers and no one seems to be able to generate the appropriate forms to even provide me with an RMA. I have 5 motorola phones and over a dozen branded accessories. This is the first time I have had to deal with Motorola for a defective product. It will be the last. Not sure if it's the Google purchase or just fading quality, but Motorola is losing my future business.

3.0 out of 5 stars beats getting out of bed to use netflix..., February 10, 2013
...but that's about it. I use it with my Motorola Razr (1st gen), which sits in a dock cabled to my TV via hdmi out.

Use it only to control netflix, and that takes practice as the touch controller is hard to use. It certainly isn't like using the touch screen directly - the touch controller is very laggy and the touch sensitivity varies from "ignore touches completely" to "register a click as soon as I touch it". And simply forget about using it to find anything beyond what I've already put in my instant queue. I'd rather poke my eyes out with a stick than use it for anything more.

Never got the phone functionality to work - my Razr only recognizes it as an input device.