4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, functional, No Frills Headset
I purchased this unit to use with my motorola V3 Razr cell phone so that I could talk hands-free with people while I did things around the house. It replaced my previous headset, a motorola HS810, which I let get exposed to water (whoops).

Published on December 29, 2006 by Kyle Felker

1.0 out of 5 stars A Mistake!
This was my first bluetooth headset and what a mistake!

It does not fit close to my ear and I am constantly pushing it into my ear, it feels like it will fall off at any time.

the biggest problem however is that it turns on with the slightest pressure. I have recalled many people not knowing I have done so!

It is very frustrating when you...
Published on December 14, 2006 by Joanne Melkonich

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, functional, No Frills Headset, December 29, 2006
This review is from: Motorola H500 Bluetooth Wireless Headset (Soft Black) (Wireless Phone Accessory)

Despite the higher price tag on the HS810, I feel this is a better headset. It's very sturdy-I've dropped it on my hardwood floor and it still works just fine. There is no unfolding boom mike with a hinge that wears out. The controls are simple-hold down the call button to turn it on or off, tap it to answer or hang up. Mating the device to my phone was simple and took seconds, and I haven't had it drop a call yet. The microphone seems to work very well-I've never had anyone complain that they couldn't hear me, and I've used the unit outside in windy conditions.

Of course, there are some negatives. I wish the volume was louder-I have it turned up all the way and it still sounds a little faint. The earpeice is tight and secure but it also pinches, so long calls are going to be uncomfortable. It's also not as eye-catching as some other bluetooth headsets.

If you want a workhorse headset that's dependble, reliable, and sturdy, this is the unit for you. It's a great value for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars People... ENOUGH!, December 26, 2006
No matter which manufacturer or what model, it has become impossible to get a positive opinion on a Bluetooth headset these days!

Everybody just keeps whining about range (read up on Bluetooth technology, will ya?!), crackle, low volume and disconnects.

I'm glad I took the user reviews for the H500 with a grain of salt, overcame my fear and got this headset for my Nokia 6230i.

Pairing was a cinch. In over two weeks of use, I have yet to experience a disconnect. Volume and clarity are pretty darn good, range is excellent (for Bluetooth) and battery life is AMAZING (4 days to a charge, on average, with fairly extensive use). I have tested this headset while on foot outside and while driving my car. No problemo.

My suggestion to the nitpickers complaining about these headsets: state the make and model of your mobile phone in your reviews. It could very well be that it is your mobile phone that's to blame for your poor experiences. Specifying the type of phone you use will enable potential buyers with the same phone to steer clear, while the rest of us can go ahead and enjoy the wonders of 21st century technology.

By the way, I am technologically savvy, have had bluetooth headsets for over a year now and, if you haven't guessed it yet, am very, VERY happy with the Motorola H500.

Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars H500, October 22, 2006
It seems really strange that so many people had such a hard time with this product. I purchased one of these (for $70 6 months ago)along with my verizon/motorolla razor phone and it's works great! the set up is extremely easy and turning the phone on and off is extremely simple (one button!). for those who said this is the picture of the h700 i can tell you right now that my h500 (it has this name on the packaging AND when i connect it to my phone) is the exact same model as pictured, color, buttons and all. The only thing i have to say is that the range may be considered short to some people. I mainly use it while walking or in my room while i'm doing paper work, so it's never farther than 20 feet from the phone. when you get about 25ft or farther, the voice quality becomes a little distorted and gets worse the farther you are. The simple solution to this is to keep the phone in the room you're in or an adjacent one.

I've had this headset for half a year now and it's never given me any problems. It has a very nice stand-by feature that conserves the battery when not in use and the battery life seems to be 2-3 times that of my phone. The quality of sound is great, i'm a music student and often play new piano pieces i've written over the phone to friends and family and they never had a problem hearing the full range of notes clearly.

It's been the perfect headset for my needs, the only reason i give it 4 stars is because of the range, which isn't an issue at all for myself (though others may want a longer range).

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic headset at a great price., March 7, 2007
I spent about 4 hours doing online research on which BT headset to get my wife for her cell phone (Motorola SLVR L7c) She wanted something cool looking and had already expressed interest in the H500, but I wanted to double check and make sure there wasn't anything better for around the same price. So after a few hours of reading reviews on a dozen or so different headsets, I finally decided just to settle for the H500, I was really interested in some of the Plantronics sets, but she didn't care for the design.. I was a little worried about the H500 because the reviews are kinda so-so.. They're either good reviews or bad reviews. I got it for her so she wouldn't have to fumble around in the car with a phone so how it performs in a vehicle was going to be the make or break point with it. I'm pleased to say that the headset performs way better than I expected it to.

Getting started is a breeze. All you have to do is charge the headset for about 2 hours (the LED light will go off once the battery is charged) once it's done charging you have to pair it up with your phone. All you do is press and hold the call button until the LED light stops blinking and stays lit, then you have your phone set to hands free mode and follow the simple steps on the phone (For us it was as simple as the phone finding the H500 and entering the 4-digit pin of 0000) The phone saved the settings and we were all set.

Using the headset is no brainer basically. There 3 buttons; Main call/multi button & Volume up & down buttons. Pressing these buttons in various combos will yield different results like mute, hold, transfer, 3-way, etc. The retail package comes with a handy fold out that has all the functions and how to access them.

The build quality of the headset is great as well.. The headset is about 2 inches from earclip to mic. Its very small and very comfortable to wear. The ear clip is removable to you can use it on either ear as well. The buttons feel solid as well.

Now to the actual sound quality. The headset has performed great in all the scenarios we've tried so far.. Which has been in the house while watching TV, In the car with the stereo & windows up & down & in an office environment. I was most impressed with how it performed while driving, There is no static or any background noise at all and even with the radio and window down, the user can clearly be heard both ways. Again very impressive. The only environment we haven't really tried yet was at the store. I will update once I've tested that as well.

I can't really comment on the battery life yet, because we've only had the unit for a day or so, but so far the unit has yet needed to be charged.

So to summarize, great headset overall, feels & looks great, sound quality is super, voices are loud and clear. Performance in the car, home & office was excellent and the price Amazon offers is great compared to retail. I'm very very satisfied (and relieved!) that this unit performs as well as it does.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bluetooth, February 23, 2007
Raven (San Juan, Puerto Ric) - See all my reviews
Great performance. Work properly all the time. The battery rechange fast. I normally charge it every 3 days. It also has a good reception. I have a samsung phone and the bluetooth connect quikly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, September 27, 2006
I was reading the disappointing reviews for this product but decided that I would give it a try anyway since it is about half the price of what I would pay if I bought it from my carrier. I have had it for a couple of days now and I must say it is great and works perfectly with my RAZR V3m. The only thing I can say bad about it is that people can notice when you are using the headset because they say that you are not as loud as if your were using the phone directly, which is why I gave 4 stars instead of 5. Other then that it is a great product. Oh yea, the pictured H500 is exactly what I received.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Mistake!, December 14, 2006
Joanne Melkonich "Nellie" (Marlton New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
This was my first bluetooth headset and what a mistake!

It is very frustrating when you are trying to make a call with the phone, you think that the connection didn't go through until you realize that the dumb headset has turned on in your purse. I bought Motorola because I expected it to be better than a less known brand IT IS VERY DISAPPOINTING!

4.0 out of 5 stars Motorola Bluetooth Headset H500 review, November 5, 2006
G. Pabon (Louisville, KY USA) - See all my reviews
Motorola H500 Bluetooth Headset review

Headset used with T-Mobile SDA and now the T-Mobile Dash

Pros:

Easy to pair

Good sound quality inbound and outbound

Easy to use

Quickly connects to phone to answer or make calls

Cons:

With glasses it gets loose around the ear and feels like it's flopping around. Most of the time I can fix it by wedging the headset around the ear before I place my glasses on.

DON'T PUT IT IN YOUR POCKET WHEN THE HEADSET IS ON! I've made so many involuntary phone calls it's annoying. I even turn it off, but most of the time when I sit down the pant pocket fabric pushes on the ON/OFF button and it's on. I wish they would recess the ON/OFF buttons to avoid this!

Battery life. It claims to have 8 hours, but I'm not sure I'm getting that. The battery seems to die much sooner than 8 hours, although this is not based on a real test. I'm comparing it to my previous Jabra which could go for days without a charge. This one is charged at least every 2-3 days. I also turn it off every night and during the day to avoid the involuntary calls (altough it still happens)

Hope this helps!

GP

2.0 out of 5 stars No one can hear me on this headset, August 21, 2008
K. Phillips (Rancho Cucamonga, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I have two of these models. One has the more talk time. Both are not very good. I can hear people fine, but other's have a very hard time hearing me. I even tried it on a RAZR, new Chocolate LG and now an EnV2. It's not the phones, it's the headsets. Don't buy this one or any on that looks like or similar to this.

3.0 out of 5 stars H500 Bluetooth, March 25, 2007
pydpiper (Northern NY State) - See all my reviews
Didn't particularly like this product. Have had the H850 and the H700 bluetooth headset in the past and both operated much better. Battery life was short in this model.