Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on November 2, 2009
The best review from a former iPhone and Blackberry user.

I have been in love with the G1 since it came out a year ago, but I couldn't get over that ugly chin sticking out! I was beyond ecstatic when the MyTouch 3G was released, but after playing with the device for 3 hours I realized what a piece of crap it was and returned it. The screen wasn't that big and it made texting and instant messaging a living nightmare. In addition to that, the phone was not multi-touch capable, so if you're a fast texter and really quick with the emails then the MyTouch 3G is not for you. The virtual keyboard could only handle one letter at a time and I found myself hitting the wrong letters on so many occasions. I would hit a letter and the phone would pick up the surroundings letter. This really is ashame because the thirty-five dollar data plan is mandatory and its travesty that one can't even use it to the best of their ability. The lack of a keyboard also made the MyTouch 3G a big downer. Anyway, I digress.

Now, let's get to the Motorola Cliq. This phone is everything that the G1 and MyTouch 3G should have been, but better. This device doesn't come with Eclair (Android OS 2.0), but it functions just fine. Hopefully a mandatory upgrade will be made available to all Android users soon. This is a great PDA smart phone for anyone who is heavy into texting, emailing, and surfing the web. It's a full featured phone, but at the same time it's nothing groundbreaking. There is definitely some acclimation when it comes to the Cliq because I am so use to my Blackberry 8900 and I think its one of the best built devices with a very responsive well built OS.

If you're looking for a device that is very similar to the iPhone on the T-Mobile network then this is probably the closest that you will ever get. My initial impression of the phone was not a good one because it kept asking me to create a user name and password. I thought it was asking for an email address (Yahoo, AOL, Gmail), but it wasn't. It was asking you to create a MotoBlur account. I did, but kept getting an error message. T-Mobile customer service didn't know what to do and [...] has an area to sign into MotoBlur & an option to create a motoblur account, but when you click it there's nothing on screen that lets you create a name/password.

Android OS - Many people have said that the Android OS is a game changer since its release back in the fall of 2008. It seemed like the only thing at the time to combat with the forces of the iPhone. To some extent it is and to some extent it's just not quite there yet. To be honest it's a bit on the clunky side. It does take a few seconds to exit out of certain applications, or to even get to the main home screen menu when exiting out of email and texting. When you become so use to using your cell phone for just about everything - speed is everything. That also includes how responsive and quick your phones OS is. My only gripe is that I wish there wasn't that few second lag in-between operations.

Motoblur - The Cliq includes MotoBlur which lets you connect your Facebook, MySpace, and twitter accounts directly to the advice, so whenever your friend writes a new comment it immediately goes to the homepage of the phone. This is a great idea and saves you time from going into the web browser and having to log in each account in order to check for updates. However, this feature is a battery killer. I have mine turns off, besides if you lend your phone to someone else to use (To make a call or use web browser) they will all be up in your business. I could careless about this feature.

Email - This is also not an Android device that has Google branding with it. It's just a Motorola phone using the Android OS. There is NO G1 branding logo anywhere. However, you can still sync up your Google email address, but the Gmail feature is such a disappointment. Synchronization has to be turned on for the Gmail to function to the best of its ability & that's a BIG battery draining feature. You can also sync your Yahoo & AOL email addresses. The AOL and Yahoo email feature is way better then Gmail and doesn't require synchronization to be turned on. This helps save tremendous battery power. When you send an email from your desktop it doesn't come to the phone right away, but you can set the phone to check for new emails every 15 mins, 30 mins, or manually, etc. It doesn't work the same with Gmail which is a big let down. I am a big fan of the Blackberry and it's the only device on the market that gets an email within 2 seconds of sending it. The same can't be said for the Android OS. Much work needs to be done.

Web Browser - One of the best features on any android device including the Cliq is the web browser. Surprisingly, it doesn't launch [...] as the main homepae when you click browser. The Android Browser is probably one of the best browsers on the market right now and is up there with the Safari Browser and the Palm Pre's browser. You cant pinch and zoom to enlarge the way you can on the iPhone, but there are zoom in controls which are easy to use. You also get a dedicated YouTube app that lets you watch Youtube videos. Though the video clips aren't as sharp as the iPhone - There is a setting and option when you are watching the YouTube clip where you can see the videos in "Higher Quality" so its crystal sharp and less blurry.
There is a big difference that one will notice when switching from standard to HIGHER QUALITY.

3G - TMobile recently launched their 3G network about a little over a year ago, so they are still building from the ground up while the other networks are already moving into 4G. It's great that the CLIQ has 3G, but it does get spotty and unresponsive sometimes. There were many times that the 3G would switch between 3G and EDGE. I didn't have that big of a problem with it, but I am sure over time it will get better. Wi-Fi is also included, so this is a great alternative for someone who might be at home and only has EDGE access.

Instant Messaging - The CLIQ comes with Yahoo Messenger, Google Talk, and AIM pre-installed. My Blackberry 8900 came with all 3 and included ICQ & Windows Live. Another thing about the IM that was such a disappointment is that synchronization had to be activated in order for you to sign into the messaging client, which in turn drains the battery power like crazy. This was such a disappointment. My BB never had this issue. You sign in and start chatting. There was no extra setting that had to be activated in order to chat, but on the CLIQ it's a requirement. The extra requirement only means that you have to charge you phone twice in one day because of heavy unnecessary usage.

Motorola really could have done a better job with the CLIQ, especially for the price. But I think most of the minor flaws have to do with the Android OS. I was originally an iPhone user that became a Blackberry user and I have to hand it to the Blackberry because it's quick, responsive, and built in such a way that its function is superb. Everything from Email to text to instant messaging is just so quick. There is hardly any lag and it's easy to learn how to use. The Blackberry so far is the best PDA I have ever used, but its web browser needs work. Pick up the CLIQ phone because it's a winner. There are some minor flaws, but the pros outweigh the negative.

Pros:
Android OS (Can be a pro & a con)
Full HTML Web Browser
YouTube Application
5.0 camera/camcorder
Big vibrant screen
3.5 MM headjack
Decent call quality (No issues yet)
Mini SD up to 32GB
Use your songs as ringers
Wi-Fi
Personal Email (Up to 10 accounts can be added)
IM
My Favs
Excellent Multimedia Player
Includes 2 chargers (Wall Charger & USB charger)
T-Mobile offers the best minute and data plans on this planet

Cons:
Poor Battery Life (Lower light setting and turn off Motoblur to save power)
Gmail is a disaster (Not push capable)
Needs better notification options when next text/emails come through
No PUSH email capability
Trackball (I miss you)
Occasional lag time when entering/exiting a screen/app
Micro USB (No more Mini USB)
No ear phone or free carry case
review image review image review image review image
99 comments|82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 23, 2009
Right now, this is a 2-3 star rating, I'll give it 3 since I do side a bit more that way.

Have had this phone since it was released on 11/12. I have now had 3 of them personally (white, 2 titanium) plus my wife's white. Have also known 3 engineers who have Android backgrounds (we all hail back to the G1 then MyTouch then the CLIQ). A few of us understand the well-documented SDK and are engineers. My wife is a 'typical' user just looking for a phone to work, but wanted to get her off the iPhone and ATT due to cost and her service problems (3G in the Tmo edge range and constantly dropped/missed calls in 5-bar areas, plus bars constantly going from 5 to 0 to 3 to 5 to 0, etc. in moments when in the midst of deep orange coverage metro areas. This happens with 3 other non-iPhones I have for family on ATT. NEVER seen this or had complaints w/the 4 other phones I have on T-Mobile).

Anyway, of these users, all have returned during the buyer's remorse period except me (call me an optimist with hope). I do like the phone and it's potential, but Motorola needs to do some serous work. All of the following I've personally experienced with four devices: 2 white, 2 titanium, 1 my wife's, the others mine as I return hoping for a better/improved one. I also have incorporated daily feedback of 3 others (which was consistent with mine and the forums out there).

Pros:

- Very nice form factor. I love it and it did get my wife (briefly) off the iPhone, which has been impossible to do.

- Slide out keyboard - best I have used (but after a few days gets a bit 'wobbly', but seems to settle at that point.

- Backlit keyboard that auto-senses light conditions. Letters and dpad light as necessary. If you press the 'ALT' key, then numbers and symbols light until done. Very nice.

- Social network: if you use Facebook/Twitter/Picasa/MySpace, you'll *really* love this phone and motoblur:

- 5 screens, not 3 as on other Android devices. Load em up!

- Very fast 3G on Tmo's network. Side-by-Side tests against an N-97 and iPhone 3GS all with full bars and this is 4-6 times faster. That's a tmo benefit: not oversubscribed and they don't throttle.

- Other than periodic reboots, no dropped calls, great call quality - oh, and play w/your phone will talking: take a pic/vid, open email, open notes, etc.

- Voice Search rocks.

- Gmail integration (mail, contacts, calendars) all rock. I'm not sure what another reviewer means it's a disaster - never had trouble w/the G1 or MyTouch. Not sure what is meant by "push", but emails received show up nearly instantly just as Exchange ActiveSync does and sent emails go right away. Contact and calendar changes are synch'd immediately. Works great for me and since Android is Google's, you'd hope it would :-)

- Motoblur's on-line remote wipe is an awesome feature. Have used thrice when returning phones. It is great. (But I don't like the phone tracking that is in their portal you can't disable w/out affecting your phone).

- Spent 2 days playing with the DROID and the Cliq interface is nicer and generally seems snappier. The Cliq keyboard is far better and the unit doesn't look like a prototype they forgot to improve looks on before release. Oh, and Tmo's rates are less than a third of VZW's.

Cons:
First, my wife:
- Battery life abysmal. She never uses wifi (set not to scan and not setup), no BT as it won't pair with any of our 3 cars ranging from 2009 to 2010 (very common complaint if you search), no use for GPS with Nav systems in all cars, no widgets (weather, blur, etc - she has not use for them - she has no facebook, twitter and definitely no myspace accts), 2 emails setup: gmail and work - work we dropped autosync and polls once per 4-hours. Very few programs (solitaire, bettercut, pandora), no wireless location turned out - no use, etc. After properly cycling her battery a couple times, she still had an issue of being nearly dead before noon! Battery life is a common complaint in reviews/forums and personal since between hers and the 3 I've had now, they are all the same.

The rest (since we are engineers very familiar with Android) and I go through 4-6 phones a year, rotation periodically so have strong background experience.

- Very, very poor battery life (no widgets, no motoblur setup, work email polling 4-hours, occasional GPS when I open maps, but stops pulling when navigate away and doesn't update anything if not in Google Maps (don't enter and use latitude, you'll notice location hasn't been updated for the amount of time you were out of latitude (e.g. I waited 3-days once and no update). This DOES work w/wireless tracking though, but I don't use as, unlike other Android phones, you have no choice but to send data to Google.

Regarding battery saving: answers from Motorola, T-Mobile and some others in forums equal neutering the phone: turn off 3G, don't use Wifi, don't use BT, keep screen dim, screen auto-off in 30-seconds (nice for reading something, eh), set auto-synch work email to Manual or 4-hours - don't use activesync, turn off google's sync until you need it. Huh? This is beyond perplexing. I've used many, many other smartphones with these features that last me 24-hours or longer (last one nearly 3-days and it was a multi-tasker ALWAYS with 3G/GPS/Wifi/ActiveSync on) and 2 other Androids that don't last me less than 12-15 hours w/everything enabled. If you have to do all this to a Cliq get it to last a "work day" - why have it? There's something wrong.

Battery == very common complaint.

- Cannot uninstall pre-installed programs that take up a lot of space on the phone and run periodically taking precious RAM. Who uses MySpace now? Installed, can't remove. There is QuickOffice, Tmo's MyAccount, Tmo's Mobile Backup, imeem, Many "Motoblur" apps such as Happenings, Tmo's My Album (who stores photos w/Tmo?), MyFavs (fat, ridiculous pig that has no icon and I don't have a myfavs plan), Social Messaging, Shazam (c'mon, neat at first, but I and others have just no need for it), Social Status, TeleNAV GPS Navigator (huh??? Don't need it and Android 2.0 has this - free), their version of a Weather widget, which never updates and takes 20-30MB of your RAM and so on. Most of the 3P apps are trials only and if you don't want them, don't pay, but they are 'stuck' on your phone. Very common complaint.

- Internal phone storage (where apps are installed on your 512MB ROM), out of box, you only have 201MB available. Seems plenty? Install what you want and shrinks fast and compare to MyTouche's 270+ MB. Further, if you "upgrade" an app, it doubles (or more) the amount of space required for it. It's not a true upgrade, it simple installs over the uninstallable version and take unnecessary precious space. Google Maps is a good example: ships w/an outdated version that goes from 1.02MB to over 4MB if you install the upgrade. Uninstall and it leaves the old version firmly planted. What happened to the concept of having on the phone what you want or performing legit upgrades/not "side-by-side" that simply take significant amounts of resources? Why can't I uninstall unused apps? Imeem, MySpace, QuickOffice, Telenav, Mobile Backup, etc.? Very common complaint.

- Well known and confirmed by a couple at T-mobile (tech support and a store manager) touch screen has "dead spots" and can be very unresponsive. Yet in certain other areas, far too sensitive. Common complaint with other users and in forums/reviews.

- Tmo's Mobile backup automatically sends all your contacts to T-Mobile. I was alarmed when I figured this out. I tried using their site to remove them. The two options are: "Remove from Phone" and "Remove from Web and Phone" - no way to disable or just remove from web. Tmo - even back to their tech support didn't know why ALL contacts are going over and not just new ones (well, they are all new when Gmail synchs em to phone). They also couldn't figure out why no options in Mobile Backup. This was not by consent either on phone nor on any of the contractual paperwork I received. No one I knew was happy with this at all. Allow opt-in AND opt-out, but don't disallow any option. Most I've checked with have no idea this is happening.

- MyFavs, MyAccount and Mobile Backup are always running in the background.

- Slide out keyboard does not have autocorrect/suggestions/etc. It will insert an apostrophe now and then. Screen (Android) keyboard, works ok here, but I and others didn't buy a phone w/a slide-out to have to use on-screen (which I disable since it uses a lot of resources). Common complaint.

- Outdated the day it was release. It was released with 1.5 (been around forever and 1.6 came out some time ago and makes very noticeable improvements). Many of the apps were versions behind. Map to bug fixes or 2.0? Motorola has been silent even with all the noise out there. Been told by a motorola rep and tech support at Tmo that they may never go past 1.5 and just fix the bugs. Aside from the new Google maps, many other advanced features in 2.0, I'd be OK with just bug fixes and some better optimization. Common complaint.

- Boot time is ridiculous - nearly two minutes! Good luck in those pinch situations and forbid that you need to turn on your phone to dial 911.

- Periodic reboots during calls or just using the phone. Not often, but very problematic when it happens. Common complaint.

- Bluetooth won't pair with A LOT of cars from Nissan to Land Rover to BMWs and I forget what else I've seen out there. Common complaint. Also won't pair with other BT devices - some ear sets (I went through 3), 2 of my computers (a Mac and a 2009 ThinkPad) and a pair of Nokia's BT stereo headsets I have. Common complaint.

- The notification light gets stuck on and requires shutting off in settings, rebooting then turning on again.

- If you are an Android user believing in its open AND upgradeable platform, you'll be particularly frustrated that Moto hasn't said anything about "yes we will upgrade", "no we won't - period" or "we won't upgrade, but we'll maintain and fix these bugs".

- Cannot disable the battery/memory sucking motoblur stuff. Sure, remove the widets, but 10s of motoblur services are "clogging" it up for you and hitting the CPU. (I have no idea how one review says to turn it off - perhaps remove accounts, but you can't remove them all and the service STILL runs).

- Poor media sound. I have to listen to movies/music nearly full volume to hear. If on a plane w/noise canceling Bose, still full volume that on other phones, I'd have to turn volume down! Tested w/out noise cancel and simply can't hear a thing on a plane. Very common complaint out there.

- 5MP camera w/auto-focus and vid recorder w/auto-focus. Very weak options for taking photos and even weaker on vid recorder. Useless in dim rooms even if you choose the "shade" mode. OK, outdoors. No flash - many phones coming with flash these days. This is a particular pain since I left a phone w/much more advanced w/dual LED flash. However, if you choose night mode, no flash needed and great pic. Not sure what's going on here, but needs work.

Overall, I have trouble recommending the device 'as-is' - too many bugs (more than I listed) and outdated phone when release (i.e. Android 1.5 and most of the built-in apps). Finally, w/out Motorola announcing anything on bug fix or upgrade plans, who knows what you'll be stuck with after spending $400 for this.
on November 14, 2009
GRIPE #1:
I've owned the Cliq for almost 2 weeks now, the last 3 days of which it was submersed in a bowl of rice in an effort to fully dry it out, and hopefully get it fully operational again.

Did I drop it in the toilet? Did I forget in my pants that went in the washer? Did I take it swimming? No. I simply took it out of my pocket when my hands were SLIGHTLY wet from being in the rain (and I was not in the rain when I took it out of my waterproof pocket). Then I put it back in my pocket. When I took it out next and unlocked it it threw a conniption fit; hopping back and forth between ringer and silent. Worried I opened the battery door and saw a couple drops of water BEHIND the door. After fully drying off the phone for 3 days in a rice-bath two of the four side buttons no longer work.

Now I'd like stress several facts here.
* 1) I remember when Motorola made phones like the StarTAC which were almost indestructible. I foolishly continued to expect a high-reliability phone out of the Moto camp.

* 2) I am a very technical person with enough experience to know what I should and shouldn't expect from a device. This is not some crazy-guy review written by someone who's angry his phone didn't survive a tsunami.

* 3) This phone did NOT get wet. Nothing this phone was put through should have had any effect on it whatsoever.

This phone seems to be extremely finicky with regards to weather conditions. If you live in the northwest (as I do) or any place that gets large amounts of rain and humidity I would highly suggest that you buy a different phone. I'm simply amazed at how little it took for this phone to go down. My Blackberry Pearl has done been quite the champion for the past two years when it comes to ruggedness and I've never really thought of it as a rugged phone per se; this level of fragility is really inexcusable.

GRIPE #2
Random parts of the screen go dead every so often. This is an issue for multiple Cliq owners already. For more information on this problem do a search for "cliq keyboard dead zone" in your favorite search engine.

OTHER GRIPES:
Side buttons have barely any travel and therefore provide virtually zero tactile feedback.

Front buttons and keyboard keys feel squishy and don't instill confidence.

Integration all of your contacts lists from various sources (facebook, twitter, google, etc.) is painfully rudimentary. This is not an Android complaint, but a complaint of Motorola's software implementation Motoblur.

There is no way to stop the phone from ringing by way of a hardware key. So if you get a call/text/calendar notification and wish to stop it mid way you must first get it out of your pocket. Hit any button to wake it up. Then hit the menu button to unlock it. Then, if you've got a security code (as I do) enter that in. Then finally hit the notification bar. The entire process, as you can imagine, takes a long time and if you're in a meeting or some such situation it's very annoying. I must mention that you CAN also use the "silent" switch on the side to terminate the audible alert however that too take a while as the switch is flush with the phone and changing it's position isn't quick.

THE POSITIVE SIDE
* Nice looking screen.

* Responsive.

* The sliding screen (to reveal the keyboard) does have really good feel.

* While I admit to worrying about the long-term life of the physical keyboard, it is REALLY nice to have a tactile keyboard. Especially considering the problems with the touch screen.

THE BOTTOM LINE
If this was the only Android phone out there, I would probably have thrown an extra star in the rating for the OS alone. But there are three other Android phones out right now and half a dozen on the way in short order. There's no excuse for a phone with this price tag to come from a company with as much experience as Motorola and have such serious design flaws. High-tech and and high reliability are not mutually exclusive, and don't let anyone tell you different.

You have better options for an Android phone.
on November 2, 2009
The best review from a former iPhone and Blackberry user.

If you're looking for a device that is very similar to the iPhone on the T-Mobile network then this is probably the closest that you will ever get. My initial impression of the phone was not a good one because it kept asking me to create a user name and password. I thought it was asking for an email address (Yahoo, AOL, Gmail), but it wasn't. It was asking you to create a MotoBlur account. I did, but kept getting an error message. T-Mobile customer service didn't know what to do and [...]has an area to sign into MotoBlur & an option to create a motoblur account, but when you click it there's nothing on screen that lets you create a name/password.

Pros:
Android OS (Can be a pro & a con)
Full HTML Web Browser
YouTube Application
5.0 camera/camcorder
Big vibrant screen
3.5 MM headjack
Decent call quality (No issues yet)
Mini SD up to 32GB
Use your songs as ringers
Wi-Fi
Personal Email (Up to 10 accounts can be added)
IM
My Favs
Excellent Multimedia Player
Includes 2 chargers (Wall Charger & USB charger)
T-Mobile offers the best minute and data plans on this planet

Cons:
Poor Battery Life (Lower light setting and turn off Motoblur to save power)
Gmail is a disaster (Not push capable)
Needs better notification options when next text/emails come through
No PUSH email capability
Trackball (I miss you)
Occasional lag time when entering/exiting a screen/app
Micro USB (No more Mini USB)
No ear phone or free carry case
review image review image review image review image
on November 29, 2009
I had been using the Motorola Cliq since a week after its release. I think it is a great smartphone. The touchscreen is large and easy to read, even in bright sunlight. The sound quality is great and reception is good too; I have not experienced any drop calls. The phone is on the heavier side. The weight actually gives the phone a solid feel, but I am suprised the battery cover is a very thin plastic piece. I am happy the phone uses a 3.5mm headset jack. I like the slide out keyboard; since I do a lot of texting, this is a big plus. The keyboard is very usable; it isn't as good as the keys on the Motorola Q9, but still offers a good feel. I have read posts questioning the navigation key on left side of the keyboard. I actually like using the navigation key; I find it easier than using the touchscreen. Placing on a hard gel phone cover did reduce the space between the top row of keys and the slide back screen. The 5 megapixal camera is great; the lack of a flash for the camera is a surprise.

The customizable home screen is great. I can rearrange, add or delete icons on the screen to my preference. The ability to use music from my file as ringtone is another plus. I found some Android applications to be very useful. Hopefully as time goes by, there will be more applications. The phone comes with many applications such as Google Map, GPS, AccuWeather, Amazon Music Store and Shazam. The Motoblur is something I don't use much of. If you are into the social networking sites, this is something for you.

The main drawback to the phone is the battery life. With Motoblur (Facebook, MySpace), gps, emails, widgets; the battery life is extremely short. I ended up shut off most networking applicatons to avoid charging my phone daily. Other minus is professional applications for Android is far behind Microsoft Mobile, iPhone, Palm OS and Blackberry. Again hopefully in time that will change.

I have not experience any lags nor freezing of the phone as I had with Motorola ZN5 and E8. I have experienced the phone not hanging up calls, after I pressed the end call botton. The touchscreen is a bit too sensitive for me. But it is on par with the iPod Touch; in some ways it is better than the Touch.

Pros:
-Slide out QWERTY keyboard
-Large HVGA screen
-Ability to personalize home screen and ringtone
-Google Map and GPS
-5mp camera
-Full web browser
-Wi-Fi and 3G
-Call quality with T-Mobile

Cons:
-Battery life (major drawback)
-No Android v2.0
-No flash for camera

I am glad I got this phone. It has met and/or exceeded my expectations after reading the tech sites these past few months.
I think Motorola came out with a very nice smartphone.
VINE VOICEon December 3, 2009
This is my first Android phone, being a Blackberry user for years. I really wanted to like the phone because it is not an iPhone (monopolized closed system), more fun than the Blackberry (wide choice of applications, widgets, nice screen), etc. Right after getting the phone, I was able to install a golf gps app, shopping app, unit converter, multiple games, setup all my emails, etc. In fact, I was even able to download the Pinyin IME (for chinese character input), which worked fairly well.

Some of the phone features are very nice - going to the contacts app you can see 'history' of your contacts, which includes emails from them. However, phone dialer using the contact/address book is not convenient - if you have a large contact database (I have hundreds of contacts), you have to scroll thru them or slide out the keyboard to do a search. Without sliding out the keyboard, there's no quick access to contacts such as typing in the first few letters of their name (Blackberry wins here).

Then the bad news came...bad battery life means turning off most apps and 3G, running the phone on the slower EDGE network. In fact, the phone had a hard time getting thru 18 holes of golf (tried to use the golf gps app). Turning all this stuff off means losing a lot of the 'fun' factor of the phone, and not having the advantage of the faster 3G. Still, with a lot of widgets turned off and running in 2G mode, I was able to get about 1-1/2 day use before needing to recharge the phone.

Other cons: GPS lock was real slow, and for gaming the touch screen was not always responsive or accurate.

The real deal killer was Tmobile. My last month's bill (using the Blackberry) had a wrong charge of $300 for international roaming - this was for using data for "days" in a country where I was in transit for 3 hours. After spending 40 minutes on the phone with a service representative, they reversed the charges but "warned" that the Cliq should NOT be used for international travel because it continuously tries to communicate with the Google server and WILL run up roaming charges. The combination of bad billing from Tmobile and a phone that uses the internet too much really made it impractical to use the Cliq.

Since then I've gone back to the Blackberry, but still trying to get Tmobile to put my previous data plan (the Blackberry data plan and the Android data plan are different plans with Tmobile) in place so that my emails will come back on. What a big hassle to go thru all for nothing.

Maybe the Cliq with a better carrier with better plan options would have worked. Until then, it's being returned before the remorse period is up.
on January 31, 2010
Just my little take on the Cliq. I think it's a great device and is a better contendor in the behold 2 vs motorola cliq fight.
I've used numerous phones and must say this phone looks freaking SEXY. I'm not sure exactly why this phone has gotten the teen tag by some. The design is durable, it looks great, qwerty keyboard, 5 MP camera, video cam, customizable (apps and so on). Cant seem to think of more things. I purchased this used from someone who didn't want it anymore. Although it looked new almost.

I don't use any of the social networks as that is not my thing. Android phones do drain a lot of battery so I deleted those widgets/apps/ or anything to have to do with relevance to social networking. If your into all those social networks I hear the features are great for it. Also you can have it unlocked to work with AT&T.

The Android interface is similar to the G1 & myTouch 3G. It allows you to add your Gmail account right away or your POP email account. It allows you to go through all the Android Market apps which most are free and its a cool thing.

I like the fact that I can also download youtube videos with the app you can get at the market. You can just drag music, video, photos or extract the ones taken from your phone to your computer easy as 1,2,3. It shows up on your computer as a hard drive so you can easily drag items back and fourth and not deal with the hassle.

Another feature that some might like or find annoying is the Moto Blur. People seem to lose there phone or always swap SIM's whatever the case maybe this feature stores all your contacts to their server or your gmail account if you put that option. That way know you can have your contacts info at the reach of internet access if you need to. Although when you add a contact it might be annoying since it links your contacts, and if your not using the moto blur feature it may be annoying since you must unlink and delete the motoblur contact.

Surfing the web is easy. Its speeds are fast on wifi and havent really test the 3G speeds as I never use it. Your allowed to copy & paste although its still a bit tricky at times with me. If your a G1 or mytouch phone user you will feel right at home but if not its easy to get used to.

The cons are now arriving. After time with it I realized they haven't upgraded the firmware which is still on 1.5 which im waiting on 2.1 upgrade that has been promised for Motorola's Q2. TO some that might be a big deal but if you dont even know what im talking about chances are its no big deal to you. Another con is how the music/media player doesnt allow you to tag/edit songs while its in the player although it allows you to delete it
which is weird.

All in all this phone is great. I use it as a calendar, task, contacts, music, video, youtube, texting, and surfing the web. I would say this phone is for anyone that will text and enjoys qwerty. Even if you dont its still a neat phone with a nice fit in your hand. If your looking to purchase feel free to go test at a t-mobile store.

**** **** 11/17/10 .. Well the phone has its dings and has held up. Yes the memory isnt the greatest but I had the patience to stay with the phone. As well it has the 2.1 update which is eclair so it now has improved interface and apps. Soon I will be upgrading but till then its cliq in my hand.
on July 15, 2010
Terrible experience with this device. It is a decent phone from a hardware perspective, but it is running Android 1.5, and is one of only two phones left on the market running this outdated OS (the other being its brother phone, the Cliq XT). Motorola has announced an approximate date for upgrade twice, only to wait until the last minute to announce delays in updating the phone to Android 2.1. Without 2.1, there are a growing number of apps that will not work on this phone because they require at least 1.6. If you are serious about Android and want a version with less intrusive "bloatware," check out HTC phones. Even Samsung devices (minus the Behold II) are going to be better options than Motorola. If you are interested in "rooting" your device, or flashing custom ROMs, definitely check out HTC, as Moto has recently announced they will locking their bootloader, similar to the iPhone, to prevent any type to modification to the software

Bottom line... Stay away from this device unless you are ready for a headache. Pay the extra $30-$70 for a better phone. It will be well worth it!
on July 17, 2010
Whatever benefits come with the CLIQ - the hardware, the Android platform etc., there is a depressing reality about it: it uses MotoBLUR.

BLUR is Motorola's answer to HTC's Sense - both skins on top of Android that add or replicate functionality with more gloss and style (at least in the case of HTC). BLUR is slow, ugly, glitchy, drains the phone's battery life and takes some interface and functionality decisions that are bizarre and completely and utterly moronic.

Here's a perfect example: BLUR includes a messaging widget that allows you to read and reply to SMS and emails without opening either app - you can do it from the home screen - but some genius decided that the default reply phone number for a contact should be their landline phone as a preference over the number that actually can receive SMS messages (a contact's mobile number)... has anyone at Motorola even used a phone?

Likewise BLUR is built on top of Android 1.5. Android 2.1 introduced most of the benefits of BLUR, Facebook and Twitter integration, and other phones such as the Motorola Charm and the Droid X run their own 2.1 versions of BLUR, meaning that Motorola have no commercial interest in updating their 1.5 phones, because users will soon see that BLUR is a pathetic excuse at an Android skin that no longer provides any functionality: they literally used an outdated version of the OS and then built the newer features themselves so they can make the phones look like they stand out amongst the more updated crowd (they don't stand out at all because everyone else has the same features).

2.1 may never come to the CLIQ, it has so many hardware issues (touchscreen unresponsive or over-responsive, poor battery life, hinge feels flimsy), and BLUR is such a pig of an Android skin that I would never recommend anyone never buy a CLIQ, a MotoBLUR phone or any Motorola phone targeted at the casual phone user ever again. It's a poor excuse for a phone.