Showing 1-10 of 24 reviews(1 star)show all reviews
on December 15, 2011
Horrible. Can't hold a data connection. Locked bootloader. Updates months behind schedule. Camera is really slow to focus.
Worst part is that these are all known issues and they (Verizon) continue to sell this phone. In the 5 minutes it took me to write this review I watched the phone go from 4g to 3g to 1X to no data connection 3 times....and this happens all day. I have been trying to download 1 app for the past 3 hours with no success.
Motorola just sent out an OTA update last week and it has done nothing to improve the situation. If anything the battery now drains faster than ever. I strongly suggest that you do NOT buy this phone unless you want to be extremely frustrated. Verizon and motorola should be ashamed.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 19, 2011
I've owned a Bionic since shortly after it was released by Verizon. Unfortunately, I am now on my third in that short time. The first one was plagued by the BSOD (black screen of death), random reboots, and occasional freezes which could only be resolved by removing the battery. And the battery life was atrocious.

Verizon graciously replaced that one right away and Bionic number 2 performed well for about a month. Then it started to have problems with the touch screen with dead zones, entry of random letters and numbers, uncontrolled scrolling, etc. Verizon replaced this one as well.

I have researched the problems I experienced with the phones, and there are certainly many other people in forums reporting similar issues.

Now I am on Bionic number 3. It was working pretty well until Verizon did an over the air upgrade last week. Immediately I started having some problems, such as an inability to turn off the Mobile WIFI hotspot. I seem to have fixed that problem by a factory reset and wiping all programs and data off the phone, but I am still waiting to see what will happen next.

Finally, I am unhappy that Motorola and Verizon followed the much-touted Bionic so quickly with the improved RAZR.

Bottom line -- this phone has too many random problems, over three different handsets, for me to recommend it to anyone.
on October 30, 2011
When I got this phone, I was impressed by how fast it was and easy it was to use it. I didn't like the fact that it still has apps that Verizon has pre-installed that you can't get rid of. It is indeed true that it takes forever to take a picture which makes it rather comical when your friend is standing awkwardly for a pose for a whole minute and it suddenly takes 3 in a row.

A week after I got this phone, the screen wouldn't respond to my touch all of the time. I had to touch the screen several times to get a reaction from it. The Verizon techs told me this is not normal and to reset the phone. I tried to do it from the phone's settings but it just cycled for 3hrs. They told me that's abnormal and instructed me on how to do a hard hard reset. After that I though it was OK but when I flipped through pictures, it would flicker with the previous picture on the screen.

So I got a brand new replacement phone and the picture problem happened again and when I moved the Widgets, they'd stick on a place that is not part of the grid and if it's pulled on top of another Widget, instead of moving the other one down, it will delete itself. So I reset the phone. Same problems but now I can't add my mom as a quick contact (which my boyfriend was very happy about). Reset again. Same problems but now I can add my mom. But then I was typing a note on the post-its that come pre-loaded with the phone, the whole thing shuts down and rebooted in the middle of it! I was also in the city trying to find a restaurant to go to and it took me 30 minutes. Why? Because it would randomly scroll to the top while I'm reading and when I click on something, it won't react. Then if I click on something that's a pop-up, it will click on the website's link right behind it! Even typing this review has been hell.

So now I have a choice. Either get another replacement or exchange for a new phone. My 30 days with Amazon ends on the day the Droid RAZR comes out so that doesn't work and I'm afraid that if I get my third replacement, it won't work and I'll have to work with Verizon (who I hope doesn't give me a refurbished phone). I just want this phone to work!!!
on October 22, 2011
When my venerable Blackberry finally broke down, I went searching for a new phone and settled on the much-hyped Droid Bionic. Due to where I work, an iPhone wasn't even an option in my search; I wanted an Android phone as a matter of pride. So I started out really wanting to like this phone. But it has some very foundational problems, simply too serious for me to keep it. In only 10 days of ownership I've already found a number of severe breaking bugs in my routine workflow, which I've ranked in order of how likely the average user is to encounter them:

1. You can't download ZIP attachments, or any unknown attachment type, from emails or in the browser. The email app doesn't even give you the option, while the browser will attempt to download the file and immediately fail to download "<Unknown>". This is something so basic that lacking it is a dealbreaker on its own. A quick search reveals that this problem has been present since 2009 with no fix. For such a vital component of email support, this is inexcusable.

(Yet when you attempt to view an attachment which *should* open up a viewer, like a PDF, it instead downloads to some random location on the phone and you need to hunt for it to view it).

2. Facebook and LinkedIn didn't work: I set these accounts up using the built-in Facebook and LinkedIn apps and they worked fine the first time. Great! Then without making any further changes to the account info, they suddenly started returning "invalid password" messages, both at once. I verified that I could log onto these accounts on a computer. Worked fine. Now here's the kicker: I went to *remove* the accounts AND IT REFUSED BECAUSE IT CLAIMED MY PASSWORD WAS INVALID. There is no reason to attempt to log onto an account before removing it! The only way to remove the accounts from the phone was to perform a factory reset. Yes, on day 2 of ownership. Goodbye to my old phone contacts. After performing the reset, I grabbed the official FB and LinkedIn apps and made sure not to create an account using the phone's built-in support.

3. You cannot change the Google account associated with the phone without performing a factory reset, and you cannot use the phone with a Google account that is not signed up for GMail.

4. The battery life is shorter than the average workday, in large part because the phone runs apps in the background even when it is sleeping. I view this as a design flaw rather than an inadequate battery. Certain apps such as JuiceDefender can extend the life quite a bit, but with the serious disadvantage of disabling your data access at inopportune and noticeable times.

5. SSL-encrypted email (SMTP): support is only partial. If you connect to a mail server on "port 587" (techies will know what that means), you probably will not be able to use this phone to send email. To get technical, I discovered after hours of debugging that the phone doesn't support STARTTLS. If you try to send email using a mail server which uses this common mode of encryption, you will get a very unhelpful "Could not send email" message. Fortunately, I own my own mailserver, so I was able to work around the problem: I had to open up another port and reconfigure Postfix to accept SSL/TLS connections on it just to accommodate this phone. Of course, most people will be using other people's email servers and will not have the ability to do this.

Some of these are bugs and some of these are just stupid restrictions which I never thought I would have to deal with on the Android platform. I am really disheartened by this experience, and I am left hoping that the iPhone is better.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 24, 2011
I am very disappointed with the phone. I like the features, and felt it would offer a significant improvement.

Problems:

Contacts: Freezes when I perform a search. Slow for me to scroll (I only have 450 contacts or so).
Email App: Exchange integration is still poor. You will need to spend another 20.00 for an app that integrates and provides full features (apple and msft offers better options)

So, if you want a phone to watch netflix and surf the web, buy it. If you need to make calls, search, and use exchange, pass it.

I need help, will return my phone and look for another option...
on December 4, 2014
This phone is the worst phone I have ever had. Always losing a signal, getting slower and slower each day. If I had to make an call in an emergency, I couldn't do it. It takes me sometimes four times to hit call before the phone reacts. Very disappointed!!!
on May 24, 2012
I have now spent nearly one year with the Droid Bionic. It has now been replaced 2 times, due to poor functionality.
I have a replacement coming from Verizon but opted to call Motorola to see about getting a different model. I was told that I could not get a different model from the Bionic. The representative acknowledged that the Bionic has had many problems with functionality but still would not offer a different model, only offering to repair the one I have. I have a new replacement coming!
I offered to take an older model, just not a Bionic. The answer was no.
I will now be posting on EVERY website I can find that Motorola does not stand behind their poor models and does not offer customers service.
All I asked for was for the company to stand behind it's product and make amends when it is inferior...even if that meant I got an older model. I paid $250, with a contract, for my phone and it is poorer quality than my work flip phone.
Next time, I will return to the Iphone.
on January 12, 2012
My Droid Bionic is running OS version 2.3.4 on Verizon. I bought it in Dec 2011 after reading dozens of hype reviews on the internet. After 6 weeks of use I HATE it. The phone comes chock full of useless bloatware that the user cannot uninstall. Worse yet, daily it uses tons of bandwidth installing unwanted updates on this useless bloatware. When I elected to kill automatic updates, it counters by sending me daily annoying email reminders to update this crapware. I spent a great deal of money to buy this high end product over an I phone because I want to be able manage my phone not have it manage me. This operating system does not close apps when you back out of them, or when you skip back home. There is no easy visible close option button on running apps. The result (not withstanding Google's hype claims to the contrary) of this is rapid memory saturation, slow operation, crashes, lockups, and internet shutdown with loss of data. The battery life, hardware, GPS, screen resolution and brightness are pretty good. The operating system flat out sucks. After market task manager apps to root the thing that worked on earlier OS versions to give some control back to the user don't work on this one. Give me a close button, and a file/task manager that will control what my machine is running on my dime, or give me my money back. I wish there were an option to rate zero stars or install OS 2.2 which worked.
on January 8, 2012
I needed to replace my original Droid which I purchased the first day it came out. I was very satisfied with it. The Bionic caught my eye in September 2011 but my contract was not up until November. I looked forward to a delightful experience when I bought the Bionic in December 2011. Day 1, I started downloading the apps I had on my prior Droid from the Android Market place. The downloads went smoothly. But none of them installed. I tried to delete one when it seemed to hang up, thinking it was the culprit. Then, the next one, etc. I went to the store after the apps had been sitting in the queue 72 hours. They had to reset all of the software. This from a phone that had been very buggy when it was first released. But, three months later, I was assured all of the problems had been "fixed." Yeah, right. Then, after having this problem fixed, I went on to checking out the WiFi connection. It would connect, then immediately disconnect any selected connection. I found that it was incorrectly defaulting to a particular setting, and unchecked the box. Connection! Yes, but no ability to have the WiFi connection then connect to the Internet. The signal was there, so it was not a problem. This was true at all places I'd previously had no problems with on my prior Droid. I decided the phone was going back. I got the Droid Razr. Voila! From the start, no problems with downloading/installing apps. WiFi connected without any problems from start. I originally did not want to spend the extra bucks for the Razr and didn't like that it had a battery that was not user replaceable. But, Motorola has a battery recharge pack that does the trick without being connected to a power source. So, you can recharge the battery while you're using it. Basically similar to carrying an extra battery. The pack along with the Razr still is no thicker than a traditional smart phone. Both fit easily inside a carrying pouch. Buy the Bionic if you love the features [as I did.] BUT, be sure you check out all functionality before your trial period is up.
on December 14, 2011
This equipment is a major energy hog. 8 hours of battery life when sitting idle, and 45 minutes of battery life when using the phone. I'm on my second battery and still having this problem. The thing is heavy and kicks of a boat-load of heat when it gets used. I am afraid to ask what it does to my electric bill every time I plug it in to the wall.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations