4.0 out of 5 stars Uninspired by iPhone, returned Galaxy Nexus, happy with Razr Maxx
I thought I would upgrade to the iPhone 4S when I was eligible, but I felt blah about it. Everyone around me has an iPhone, which they love, but there were things that excited me more about with the new Android phones. I decided to go with the Galaxy Nexus because of its stellar reviews and high rankings on phone lists. I liked the screen size and resolution, and...
Published on January 31, 2012 by D. Southern

2.0 out of 5 stars Grrr, no sound!
I chose this phone because of the great reviews, but mainly because of the impressive battery life. For 6 weeks I had no problems and was very happy with this phone, until the speaker started cutting out. I looked at other complaints about this, and it did actually help to put pressure on the area just beneath the speaker on the back as suggested on other websites. Well,...
Published 23 months ago by F. Nightingale

‹ Previous | 19 10 1122 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this phone but..., July 23, 2012
This review is from: Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX 4G Android Phone, Black 32GB (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I love this phone, the battery life is even better than its supposed to. My only problem is that whenever i am playing a game, the screen gets really hot. it also happens when i use mobile hotspot. so far the heated screen hasn't caused any problems other than being kind of annoying. the battery life is amazing, i tested it out, and got almost 40 hours on it. I can't believe how thin and light this phone is for having such a large battery. i recommend using the Smart Actions app, it really helps you not go over the data limit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone, even better battery life, June 19, 2012
I've had this phone for about a week. The phone itself is great. Much more responsive than the Droid Pro it replaced. Was concerned about giving up the physical keyboard but the virtual keyboard provides good tactile feedback. Just takes a little getting used to it. I was very concerned about not having a swappable battery. The Droid Pro wouldn't last the full business day on a charge and it would only last hours if you used the WiFi hotspot. You had to carry a spare battery to get thru the day. The Razr Maxx is great for battery life. It's still at 60% charge at the end of the day. The hotspot doesn't drain the battery nearly as quickly. I can still get thru the day using the hotspot for several hours.

The only negative seems to be the battery meter itself. At 40% drained, it has barely moved at looks to be at 80-90%. If you go to the battery level in settings you see its at 60%. A free app on the home screen solves the issue for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ok except for two things, May 30, 2012
I am enjoying this phone except for two problems. The first is when you take a video with the front facing camera, and then you play it, it plays upside down. My second complaint is, I am unable to Skype with it. I have it configured just like my computer and I can only get voice - no video, sometimes neither. If anyone has a solution to these two problems - please post either here or on Verizon. PS: Other than these problems, I am really enjoying the phone. As others have said - battery life is great - colors are good. Only time will tell how it holds up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone ever, May 22, 2012
J. Green (Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews
I've had this phone for about 4 months now (upgraded from a Blackberry Tour), and I must say, the functionality is incredible. Let's start off with some of the basic concerns:

Battery: Never had an issue with battery life. I'm a rather "light" to "medium" user, but I've participated in 3-hour phone calls for work and other high-demand applications with no problems. Standby life is extraordinary - unplugged it from the charger at 9 a.m. one Saturday but didn't use it at all. Went to bed at midnight, and the battery was at 87%. Has a built-in Task Manager app so you can see which applications are draining your battery. Also includes "Smart Actions" that monitors battery life and makes adjustments accordingly (e.g., by dimming the display screen).

Connectivity & call quality: I live in a rural area (3G coverage only), but have never been without service and never dropped a call (on my Blackberry and other devices, it would drop calls along roads that ventured into "dead zones" within the county). I haven't had that issue since upgrading. When I go to town, it automatically connects to 4G service, and when it detects a wifi signal (either from my own home network or public wifi), it also connects. Call volume and clarity, both ear and speaker, are excellent; I've never had issues with others not being able to understand me, even while outside on windy days.

GUI: Love the customizable 5 home screens - the apps I use most frequently are only a couple swipes away (no hunting through menus to find your music player or an email). You can have a home screen dedicated to music, one for social networking, one for pics & videos, and one for (of course) the telephone and contacts.

Touch screen: Upgrading from the QWERTY keyboard on the Blackberry, I was skeptical about the touch screen (big, beefy "guy" fingers). I honestly have had no issue with it. It is very responsive, and I have no issues selecting icons. Besides, for every app that requires text entry (email, web search, text, etc.), it has a voice command feature. Additionally, the screen is very bright and vivid, even at the lowest brightness setting. A word of warning -- DO NOT use a privacy screen with this phone!!! Privacy screens make the display very dim, especially while outside (and forget it if you're wearing sunglasses). The dim display will compell you to turn your display brightness to maximum to see through the privacy screen. This can cause screen burn-in, and you'll notice ghostly images of your home screen icons forever.

Operating system: I've read a few reviews about crashes & freezing, but this hasn't been a problem for me. I try to remember to shut the phone down weekly (you have to treat the phone like a computer & can't leave it on ALL the time!)... I've had a couple instances of the system locking up, but after a force reboot (hold power button & down volume button for 5 seconds), the system restarts just fine. Both internal data and SD data can be accessed easily via the My Files app on the phone or via Windows Explorer. I use the phone as an external hard drive for work... except the phone connects to my desktop quicker than my external hard drive... There is also a Motocast app so I can access any file (music, pic, video, Microsoft Office, etc.)that is on my PC via the phone (as long as the PC is on & has an internet connection). I can also print a document or email from the phone to my home printer (or work printer once set up).

Camera: Photos taken outside are incredible. Indoor photos not so much. My primary complaint with the camera is there is no way (that I've discovered) to change image resolution. That photo you took to put on FaceBook winds up being 2 megabytes. Indoor photos can be grainy and out of focus. I have not experimented with the front-facing camera yet...

Apps: Countless free apps available out there for the things not already on the phone. It's just a matter of finding the app that works best for you. For example, there are two music player apps preloaded on the phone, but I prefer the functionality of a third party music app. Several GPS apps (Goodbye, Garmin!), Social Localization, You Tube, Kindle & Google Books preinstalled, etc. etc. etc. And for every app that's already on the phone, there are two or three alternatives available from the Play store (you're not stuck using Verizon Navigator, Verizon Videos, Vcast ringtones, etc.).

Strength: Unit feels solid and robust; I've dropped it a couple of times, but there's not even a scratch on it. The battery compartment is sealed, so you don't have to worry about the phone flying one way and the battery going the other if you drop it. The display glass feels very firm and does not deflect - pushing on some touch screens, the screen tends to yield under finger pressure and you can see pixel discoloration where your finger is. The screen on the Razr does not do this and seems to say, "Your finger ain't got nothing on my screen." After 4 months, aside from my fingerprints, the phone still looks brand new.

In summary, this is a very powerful phone that exceeded my expectations and meets most of my needs (it can start my car, but it won't wash it for me...) I'm discovering more functionality and features every day, even after 4 months. The screen burn-in and camera quality are my only complaints, but they don't come close to eclipsing the other qualities of the device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a usable smart phone, thanks to the battery, May 20, 2012
JdoubleH (Columbus, GA) - See all my reviews
Battery life has been the Achilles Heel of smart phones.With my previous phones, I had to carry my charger wherever I went. With my Incredible, I even carried a spare battery AND an external backup battery- in addition to the charger. Having an extended battery often meant having an awkward bulky hump on the back as well as a severe weight penalty. But Motorola has gotten it right with this one. The phone is still very slim and only slightly heaver than the standard razr, yet has battery life that truly lasts all day. In the first few days with it, I turned everything on and left it that way all day- Bluetooth, WiFi, GPS- something I never would have done with previous phones. I enabled all of my apps to update as often as they see fit. I even chose an active wallpaper. I have spent many hours installing apps, pulling music down to the phone via Subsonic, Watching YouTube videos, configuring the home screens, reading a couple of chapters of a book on the Kindle app, streaming music via Bluetooth to my stereo- pretty much the better part of a Saturday using the heck out of the phone without ever plugging it in. The battery was only just above 50% by the time I went to bed. Most of the use I just outlined would have required me to have the Incredible plugged in the whole time.

Overall, I am very happy with the rest of the capabilities of this phone. It is fast and has quite a bit of internal storage, however I'm not sure I like how the storage is partitioned. The "sdcard" you see in the file system is actually a partition within the internal memory (about 8GB). The sdcard slot you can load shows up as sdcard-ext. Not many apps can map data to this, so that 32GB class 10 card I just bought won't do much for me except hold pictures and music. All of the application storage - and apps that you move to the "sdcard" will actually remain internal. That class 10 I just paid a premium for won't actually do much to boost phone performance, since I am stuck with whatever speed memory is built in. But when I look over the sdcard of my previous phone, the majority of my sdcard utilization was actually music and video, so maybe that 8gb storage limitation won't be that big of a deal.

My only other complaint might be the fact that it is still so thin as to make it slightly uncomfortable to hold. But the good news is that when in a case, it is just about right. I went with the Seidio Active case (Seidio BD2-HK3MTRMK-BK ACTIVE Combo with Metal Kickstand for Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX - Retail Packaging - Black) with the holster. The last Seidio case I had was the first case I've had to outlast the phone. The Active case on the Razr makes the phone very comfortable to hold, adds lots of protection, and has a fold out kickstand on the back. An added bonus is that instead of having a cutout for the power and volume buttons, Sedio built it into the rubber of the inner case- so you actually have an easier to locate rubber button over the actual button, which works very well.

Until more phones have batteries on par with the MAXX, I can't see having chosen any other phone - even if some others boast more pixel count (I'm dubious about the necessity of HD resolutions on such a small screen- especially if all that resolution requires more processing power and more battery usage). Sure you can get extended batteries for other phones, but this one beats most others on thickness and weight in stock form. It is well worth the price premium in my opinion.

Now, if we could just speed up the LTE roll out in my area...

5.0 out of 5 stars After one month of use, May 6, 2012
This phone has set a new standard for me. I do not have to charge it every day, more like every other day or less. I will never be able to go back to the phone that needs to be charged daily. Prior to this had Galaxy Nexus that I had to sell due to horrible Samsung quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really like the phone, although underwhelmed by battery life, April 29, 2012
I upgraded from the Droid I had for just under two years. My Razr Maxx is faster, recovers from apps to the home screen very quickly, and has a great screen -- very clear, with nice resolution. I very clearly get better reception. I live in a rather remote area that prevented me from using my phone the middle two-thirds of the trip between work and home. I now only lose the signal in a really low spot that everyone loses it in. The only negative I have is that I was expecting much better battery life, even after making sure the wi-fi is off and it is set to not look for the 4G network we don't have up here yet. I don't notice much difference between the Razr and my old phone in that regard. For instance, a one-hour phone call took it from full-charge to 90%. It is a solid improvement for using apps, camera, etc., with the newer technology though, so I'm glad I got it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Returned Two Samsung Galaxy Nexuses, Happy with Maxx, April 23, 2012
When my iPhone 3GS came to the end of its contract, I switched to a Samsung Galaxy Nexus because it had 4G and a big screen, which my iPhone did not. However, I couldn't get reliable 4G service on the Samsung, even though my wife has consistently good Verizon 4G service on her HTC Thunderbolt. And if I left 4G on, not that the Nexus really worked in that mode, the battery would drain in less than 10 hours. Mind you, this is with the phone not in use as I don't bring it to work. It just dies from sitting there doing nothing. I got amazon to send me a second Nexus. Either it was better or I got better at power management because I could make it last all day, mostly by leaving 4G off. But since my criteria for getting a new phone included 4G, the Nexus wasn't really up to snuff. Amazon again took the phone back and this time I got the Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx. I couldn't be happier.
I can leave 4G on all the time and the battery appears to take about two days to drain, maybe more. What's more, 4G works like a charm. Speedtest confirms over 20 Mbps download speed. (I did get 30 Mbps once on the Nexus.) The display is also nicer. It's crisper, I think because the blacks are darker than they were on the Nexus.
Now I do miss Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4) on the Samsung. That's one nice OS. But it will be coming to the RAZR and I'm hopeful it will work well on that phone. But even if I never get the OS upgrade on the RAZR, I'll be satisfied.
The RAZR feels better in my hand, the display is nicer, the 4G is reliable, and the battery lasts a long time. It doesn't have the new OS, but that's a minor detail compared with the problems I had on the Nexus.
I highly recommend the RAZR Maxx.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Amazing, April 20, 2012
This is by far the best phone I have ever used and I have used several. I upgraded from the D2 which I was very happy with and never had any problems with (I had rooted it and tinkered with the settings a lot and still didn't have any problems). My wife has had the Incredible, which all 4 of them were not so incredible and then switched to the Fascinate which is even worse. I have used Iphones, D1, Dx and X2 and even the regular razr. I am completely impressed with the Maxx and with Motorola. I can see that people have had issues with them but to date they are the only company that I haven't bought a bad product from.

I am a moderate user and usually charge every second or third day with no problems. I was a little concerned that it would feel too big in my pocket but it doesn't. I hardly notice it. I was also a little concerned about not having the sliding keyboard and strongly considered the D4 but the battery on the Maxx convinced me. It is big enough that I can actually type on the screen if I have to but with swype built in there is not need for the slide out keyboards anymore. The smart actions, while I really only use them at night to silence and save battery can be very useful to a power user or people that are changing settings all the time. If you are looking for a phone to use as a camera this probably isn't for you. That is the only downside that I have discovered. It is good enough for me and the few pictures that I take but there are better ones.

I can't recommend this phone enough. I like to tinker with all my other devices (rooting, themes, roms) but I don't see myself changing anything anytime soon. Unfortunately I was unable to persuade my Mom into this phone, she went to the dark side (Iphone) but I'm sure she will be back after living in the walled garden for a while. Get this phone. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars First smart phone in my 50's, April 19, 2012
This is my first smartphone and I love it. I spent 3 months researching phones and back and forth through several before I chose this phone.

Reasons: I love the size, at my age, the larger the better, it makes navigating through the phone much easier.
Battery Life! Wow, I played with my phone all day every day when I first got it and it lasted more then 36 hrs, and it seems I hardly ever have to plug it in now that I'm settling down on it's usage.
I'm not a "game player" but I had to download "Angry birds" and it's fun to play, the graphics are simple but very nice visually.
I'm a birder and go online to review photos and videos of birds a lot, the video's are so clear I feel like I'm looking at my HD TV and the sound "perfect"

As far as navigating the phone - I "played" online at the verizon website with the phone - they have a simulator and realized it was very easy to navigate, if you use a laptop at home, you can navigate this phone.

All I can say is - for my first smartphone this phone was easy to navigate; easy to handle (now that I have a commuter otterbox on it) and well I just love everything about this phone.

‹ Previous | 19 10 1122 | Next ›