4.0 out of 5 stars Uninspired by iPhone, returned Galaxy Nexus, happy with Razr Maxx
I thought I would upgrade to the iPhone 4S when I was eligible, but I felt blah about it. Everyone around me has an iPhone, which they love, but there were things that excited me more about with the new Android phones. I decided to go with the Galaxy Nexus because of its stellar reviews and high rankings on phone lists. I liked the screen size and resolution, and...
Published on January 31, 2012 by D. Southern

2.0 out of 5 stars Grrr, no sound!
I chose this phone because of the great reviews, but mainly because of the impressive battery life. For 6 weeks I had no problems and was very happy with this phone, until the speaker started cutting out. I looked at other complaints about this, and it did actually help to put pressure on the area just beneath the speaker on the back as suggested on other websites. Well,...
Published 23 months ago by F. Nightingale

‹ Previous | 14 5 622 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Phone, Unbelievably Fragile Screen, May 7, 2012
Maya Cook (Clementon, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX 4G Android Phone, Black 32GB (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
The Droid Razr Maxx is the best phone I have ever had on all levels except one, and that one is enough for it to lose four stars. The screen is incredibly fragile. Incredibly. As in, it will break from a short drop, possible even onto a soft surface. Some users have even had it break under touch, as in, while being used as intended, as in, not even being dropped. Despite an internet full of screen complaints, both Motorola and Verizon will deny that they have heard of the problem and will blame you for abusing your phone. If you were smart enough to get insurance and it breaks within the first few days, as has happened to many, Asurion may try to avoid replacing your phone and accuse you of fraud. For fun, google "Droid Razr Cracked Screen" and read the hundreds of stories of phones cracking under normal use. For bonus entertainment, go to EBay and browse all the phones with cracked screens being sold for parts. Gorilla glass is great for being pushed on, but is very, very weak on its edges.

So, if you're rough on your phones, are clumsy, like to keep your phone in your pocket, or otherwise expect the durability of your older Droid phone, you have two choices. One, don't buy this phone. Two, buy it, but insure it IMMEDIATELY (don't wait even a single day), and treat it like a Faberge' Egg until your protective case arrives. Even then, still treat it like that egg. Because lots of peoples' screens have broken from short falls while inside a case. Yes, it is that fragile.

If you are extra-careful with your phones, and have always skated through your two years with your phone still looking like-new, you are ABSOLUTELY NOT IMMUNE from these problems. Buy the insurance. Seriously. My husband treats his phone positively reverently, and here we are, two months later, looking at expensive repair or even more expensive replacement.

In a just world, these phones would be repaired or replaced by the companies that put their names on it. In THIS world, expect to shell out a lot of money to replace your best new phone ever. Because the injustice of paying $99 to replace a phone that only lasted a week is better that what many of us are facing. Insurance: get it. Yes, even you. And best of luck. Because you'll need it.

If you were looking for the good, look at other reviews. Yes, it absolutely is fast, bright, amazing battery, decent camera, all that stuff they said. But it's useless when you're looking at shelling out another $250 for a new digitizer and screen.

1.0 out of 5 stars extremely fraglie!, September 28, 2012
The first time i broke it, it was in my pocket when i was out hiking/climbing boulders... I laid down with the phone in my pocket and the scream was shaterd. Ok my fault, so i payed the insurance and got a replacement. But the second one was not my fault. I charged out overnight (it got hot) i put it in my pocket with nothing else in there because was scared of scratching it, anyways, without any trauma to the phone i get to class to discover a crack all the way across it. But now i don't have insurance.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy! Glass is incredibly fragile., June 18, 2012
Would have rated this a 5 up until a week ago. . . but now I'm one of many to find out the glass (and customer service) stinks. . .check out these stories from other users [...]

Had the phone about a month. Definitely have dropped it but nothing worse than any of the other phones I've had for over ten years. Look at the phone in bed before turning in (notice that as sometimes happens, it's hot). Put it on the bedside table and wake up to a crack on the screen. VZ and Motorola not helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars new phone, October 27, 2012
I received my new Droid Razr Maxx last week. So far everything is perfect. My only criticism is the Motorola Apps, they should be optional and not part of the system apps. Of course i do not appreciate the Verizon apps either.

The coolest thing is the automatic feature that turns WiFi on when i am at a known WiFi area such as my home. The video is excellent. Had small problem with the sound and had to reboot phone. No problem since.

Still trying to get used to not plugging in the phone each time im not using it. I previously had a Droid X and it had to be charged every couple hours if i watched a video or used Iheart radio.

Highly recommend this phone, especially for fellow truck drivers that their phone is their main way of getting communication from home and data services

1.0 out of 5 stars Lemon - Prone to External Speaker problems, September 20, 2012
B. Adams "JeRk" (Constantinople ... ;-)) - See all my reviews
This phone (and the non-Maxx) are both prone to the external speaker having a bad connection within months of purchase. Motorola will only ship you a refurb. Without an external speaker, phone cannot ring. Can't play music, alarms, reminders, etc. You can 'rub' the speaker and it will work for a short period of time. Do some searches online. I'd never have bought this phone if I knew about this issue and that only a refurb would be offered. Phone is less than 6 months old. GET ANOTHER PHONE, PREFERABLY NOT FROM MOTOROLA.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Device ...Finally a smartphone with super battery life!!!, September 13, 2012
I have owned Many smart phones, this is by far the best phone i have ever owned. Its android 4.0 which is ics, Dual Core, very snappy.The amoled screen is absolutley gorgeous. The most obvious thing when you use the phone is the battery, It is so outstanding, i use it for buisness and personal when not working, this phone will consistentley go over 24 hours with heavy use, here are two examples of the times.
unplugged for 26 hours showing over 4.5 hours talk time, 100 messages, and creating and faxing invoices and web browsing and the battery was at 20 percent, another example was 36 hours with 2.4 hours talk time and the battery was at 10 percent. theres never a moment were the battery drops quickly, it has excellent stamina and coupled with motorola's power management its nothing short of amazing. the battery life on my previous older iphone and my htc evo was so freaking pathetic after about four hours you better be plugging in.. and did i mention how beautiful the phone is, its very thin, very light but feels stout. I dont have a case on it and it has fallen out of my pocket twice, both times it hit the deck from about 5.5 feet high and survived. and with verizon in bakersfield ca we have 4g in most areas, the 4g speed is incredible, it shows download speeds that look to be twice as fast as my brighthouse cable. and also the cool ability to talk and browse at the same time is super cool. I just felt like i should share my opinion of this wonderful device..
one other very important item is going from att to sprint to verizon over about a 4 year period, the verizon service is stellar, very very reliable which is important when you have customers calling,half the time my sprint phone wouldnt even ring, and then to make it worse many times the voicemail that someone left me would not deliver to me for as long as 30 minutes, by then i would loose the job. now on verizon in 1 month of use I have only had 5 voicemails but it alerted me immeadiatley and it has only happened because i couldnt get my caller to stop talking to switch over quick enough..

4.0 out of 5 stars costly upgrade, September 6, 2012
I had been very happy with my Droid, so I decided to stay with an Android phone when I upgraded directly from my provider who charged me $30 for the honor. I was not happy with that and negotiated a one month credit on my data plan which was also downgraded from unlimited to 2GB per month. Reception and voice quality on the phone are excellent. It was easy to transfer my contacts with gmail. I created a music folder on the SD card and downloaded 4.5GB of tunes which the phone readily accepted. The phone comes with a lot of storage available. Half of the 16GB internal space and all of the 16GB SD card is available for apps, photos and music. One reason I stayed with Android is the ability to tether my laptop with PDAnet. When I don't have a free wifi connection, I have used PDAnet frequently and it works like a charm. Can't do that on an iPhone without hacking it. With the Razr Maxx, I have used Foxfi and it works like a charm. Battery life has been exceptional. On a recent trip to Vegas, I uploaded a photo to Facebook and read several emails during the day, then surfed the internet for a couple of hours at the airport. On my flight home, my iPod Nano battery was dead, so I used my phone for music on a four hour flight. After the flight, I checked and the battery was still at 60 percent. My phone has been on for 15 hours today with light use and the battery is at 80 percent. One thing that affects the battery is navigation. I used it in Vegas to find a location and it did wear the battery down. Hopefully, I have not experience problems with the screen that others have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone ever!!!, August 14, 2012
Do42 (ATLANTA, GA USA) - See all my reviews
I've just left a Galaxy Nexus and had a Droid X before that plus iPhones. The Razr Maxx is absolutely the best phone I've ever owned. There's a lot that's not stated in the specs. Of course it has an amazing battery but it's not just the battery. Motorola has tweaked the phone so that it uses less juice. I installed a 3800mah extended battery in the Nexus and it still didn't last half as long as the Razr Maxx so it's not just the battery size, it's the tweaks to the phone so that it consumes less power while performing better. Everyone knows about the battery but there are a couple of other big plusses.

The second big plus (in addition to the long lasting battery) is the reception. In the same spot, the Razr Maxx sounds clear whereas the Nexus either drops the call or is choppy. I've verified this in several places. The Razr Maxx's reception ability is miles beyond any other phone. It's worth it just to keep from sounding bad and dropping calls. BIG plus but it's under reported.

The third thing are the Smart Actions that are built-in. They replace an app called Timeriffic but they work better without jamming the phone. You can set your phone to turn on wifi at a preset location, turn off the ringer at preset times, etc. I have regular meetings and church so now my phone goes into vibrate mode at those times without me having to remember to set it. I usually wanted vanilla android but not any more. I like the Motorola skin and tweaks much better and I've had no jams whereas vanilla seemed less stable on the Nexus.

It's waterproof. There's a youtube video that shows the Maxx immersed in a bathtub for 20 seconds with NO damage. Now I don't worry about being caught in the rain while jogging. Scratch proof glass, tough phone, super reception, unreal battery endurance, great tweaks. etc.

PLUS it's got GSM capability built-in so when I travel out of the U.S. my phone works on the world GSM networks. My brother has a Maxx also and both of us have owned the high tech phones since the Treos. We've never been this giddy with a phone. Rarely are we over pleased but the Razr Maxx has gone way beyond our expectations and the hype. You won't regret this phone. Ever!

If I could give it over five stars I would make this a ten star review and rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this phone compared to the original Droid Razr, June 8, 2012
Slick Shopper (Huntington, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I absolutely love this phone. I originally had the droid Razr and the battery would die within hours. Verizon wouldn't even admit there was a problem. But this phone easily lasts much more than the "twice" as long that they advertise. I can actually use this phone and not worry about it going dead throughout the day. You do want to disable 4g in places where you don't get a good signal and turn off wifi if you're not using it. Smart actions make this easy. The Android OS is great and I can't wait for the ICS upgrade later this month. I rated the original droid razr 1 star but this definitely earns a 5, mostly because the battery makes this phone usable! Thank goodness sanity prevailed. Well done Motorola.

5.0 out of 5 stars superior phone, April 9, 2012
This phone is amazing. I've owned mine for over a month and I'm still amazed every time I turn the display on! It's lightning fast, the camera is so sharp and loaded with tons of neat features, and it can do everything the iPhone can, just better. Get this phone! Plus the battery life is ridiculously long-lasting. It's durable, the screen is huge (but not too huge), and I love the 4G access. Seriously, I don't understand why people keep choosing Apple when phones like this are available. No contest at all.

‹ Previous | 14 5 622 | Next ›