4.0 out of 5 stars Uninspired by iPhone, returned Galaxy Nexus, happy with Razr Maxx
I thought I would upgrade to the iPhone 4S when I was eligible, but I felt blah about it. Everyone around me has an iPhone, which they love, but there were things that excited me more about with the new Android phones. I decided to go with the Galaxy Nexus because of its stellar reviews and high rankings on phone lists. I liked the screen size and resolution, and...
Published on January 31, 2012 by D. Southern

2.0 out of 5 stars Grrr, no sound!
I chose this phone because of the great reviews, but mainly because of the impressive battery life. For 6 weeks I had no problems and was very happy with this phone, until the speaker started cutting out. I looked at other complaints about this, and it did actually help to put pressure on the area just beneath the speaker on the back as suggested on other websites. Well,...
Published 23 months ago by F. Nightingale

‹ Previous | 15 6 722 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Purely Emotional YES! Oh, YES!, March 13, 2012
This review is from: Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX 4G Android Phone, Black 32GB (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
My Smart Phone experience started with a Blackberry that started well but ended up being a nightmare I'd rather forget. Fast forward to two years ago when I got the first Droid. I was MUCH happier with that. It took a licking and did everything I needed. I was fine to keep my old DROID without a contract.

Ever notice that they're nicer when you don't have one?

But when someone told me the RAZR was faster, I had to look into it. I passed on the RAZR because of the battery, but the RAZR MAXX is a real dream! I've had it for over a month now. It feels different. That Gorilla Glass is smooooth! The Kevlar is texturized. Even with my small hands, it's easy to handle, but it did take a little getting used to.

Yes, it's faster. You can read all the in depth reviews. This is just an emotional I'M SO GLAD I BOUGHT IT! It was well worth the $$.

Other than the speed, I like that I can set my system to go silent, turn off WiFi & almost totally power down when I'm in church. I don't have to be that dweeb whose phone goes off in the middle of the sermon. I can make it so that it doesn't ring in the middle of the night unless it's someone I've listed to ring. It's all in the settings & does it just like I tell it to. A nice little battery saver is that I can tell it when the phone's not moving & it's between the times of 11p & 7a, I want it to turn all the battery suckers off (GPS, auto-synch, BlueTooth) AND the ringers off for everyone not on the A List.

We don't have 4G here, but I'll be ready for it when it does. I only have to drive an hour to it at this point.

The only negative is that the camera isn't the best, but I've GOT a camera!

To me, it's like my old favorite DROID on STEROIDS! Better! Faster! OH YES!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this phone, April 18, 2012
I've had my razr maxx for a month and a half and the screen is cracked. This gorilla glass is NOT what they tout it to be. The phone has never been dropped and spends most of its time on a table hooked to a charger while I use blue tooth to connect to it. I picked it up to take a picture and noticed a crack straight down the screen. I called Verizon and they were no help at all. Seems, if there is any physical damage to the phone at all, the warranty is void. It didn't matter that I didn't cause the damage, it was damaged.

Motorola is no help at all, they have the exact same philosophy; it's all my fault regardless of the facts.

I have the insurance, so it will ONLY cost me a hundred bucks to get it replaced, if and when the insurance company actually gets stock of the devices. Seems there are a LOT of failures for this device. For a cell phone that they advertise as being so tough, all it takes is a smile from across the room to crack the gorilla glass screen.

While I was at the Verizon store talking to a clerk about this problem, he skylighted the glass screen and it cracked again in a different place. When you have one crack the integrity of the glass is totally shot, so you WILL get more of them as you use the phone. A quick search of the web turned up scores of other people that had the same problem.

It's a shame too. This device is fast, the battery lasts a couple of days, really pleasing display and works well in fringe areas. Could be a killer phone.

If the screen didn't break so darn easily.

1.0 out of 5 stars Droid Razr Maxx by Motorola overheats and kills battery, July 23, 2012
The Droid Razr Maxx is not a safe product. It works fine for a couple of months then the battery starts overheating and ruins the phone. I have had two of these phones within the past 90 days. Stay away from this phone!

Also the voice recognition on this phone is very marginal. It tries to dial the wrong name a lot (name not even close to what you verbalize in to it). The Google Navigation has a great voice recognition system so I know it is not me.

The hot battery problem is the worst issue. It get so hot you cant hold it or have it in your pocket.

I owned the Droid X for two years and never had the overheating problem. Motorola has a lemon with this phone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst phone I've ever owned, January 9, 2014
I generally choose my words very carefully and try not to use phrases like 'worst' and 'best' unless I've actually thought about this compared to other products. That said, I have to honestly say that this was the worst phone I've ever owned. The battery life was as good or better than advertised, but the user experience left me frustrated and angry.

The problems started a couple months after I got the phone. It would just freeze for no reason. The screen wouldn't register and I couldn't even turn the phone off because when you hold the power button it asks if you want to power down but you have to use the screen to confirm. I couldn't access the battery so I can't just yank the battery to kill the power. I'd frequently wait for several minutes until the phone would become responsive again. (I later learned a way to hard reboot the phone that made this easier)

I actually took it back to the Verizon store because I thought maybe it was a faulty device. He gave me a replacement but within a week, it was behaving the same.

I thought maybe it was an app I was running, but nothing on my phone should have caused this. When it wasn't locking up, the lag time from the time I'd touch the screen to do something until it was done was ridiculous. I had installed Chrome as my default browser and I wasn't able to use the Internet at all because it would load 10% of the page and then stall. FOR EVERY PAGE!!! I switched back to the factory browser and that helped but it was never as good as it should have been.

Every action, whether going to the phone, the camera, opening a game or other app, creating a text... Every single interaction caused a significant (3-4 second lag) before the phone would respond in any way.

If this were the free phone that I got with my new plan, I wouldn't complain, but this phone was billed as one of the best new phones at the time. Every review I had between this and the Galaxy S3 had these phones rated the same, but I can tell you that when my wife got an S3 and I could compare it, the two weren't even close in performance.

I'll give credit where it's due. The battery life was wonderful. But this phone has turned me off of Motorola products. Do yourself a favor. Get an S3 or S4.

1.0 out of 5 stars Slow, Laggy, Disappointing., August 15, 2013
This phone is a "PIECE" to put it plainly. I was pretty excited at first because It looks really great (Colorful screen, nice slender body structure)! But this thing is slowwwwwwwwwwww and extremely glitchy. I Don't drop my phone, download ANY music, and not that many pictures or APPS. It seems as if the 4G (Or great WiFi) struggles to even load a web page. Completely ridiculous. Im not a fan of iPhones AT ALL. But i'd pick an i5 or S4 over this phone any day. Save your money, go with the Note2, Galazy S1 or 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars IN LOVE!, January 21, 2013
I have had many phones over the years! My first touch screen was the Blackberry storm and it was a pretty decent smartphone for way back then. I had an LG Optimus T a couple of years ago and it was my first android phone. I was amazed back then with what that little phone could do and what android did for phones. I had wanted an iPhone, but couldn't shell out the money to get one. Now, fast-forward a couple years later. I received my Maxx back before Christmas, I had the option to get an iphone, but I chose this instead. I am glad I did. I have an iPad and iPod touch and so I've become a little disenchanted with the iOS. I want to always be able to customize every part of my phone and with the iphone it just seems a little too from the box. It's just become really boring, in my opinion. Android is constantly updating their software and with each update seems to come new and slight changes in interface. Also, I like that unlike Apple, Google allows Android to make and sell apps so you have two seperate markets you can get your apps from. OK enough Android vs. Apple! This device makes me fall in love more and more each day. I don't know if I will ever want another device, apart from the Maxx HD.

BATTERY LIFE: This is probably one of the things that caught my eye when I was shopping around for a phone. I mean who has ever heard of a smartphone that has a talk time of 21 hours?? If you actually like to use your phone for a little of everything if you have any other smartphone, you might as well pack your charger and be prepared to charge after a few hours! I am a gamer. I love to play games, listen to music, browse the net to prove to people I am right and they are wrong. I use my phone for everything, so it's so nice to know that I can do all of these things and not have to worry about it dying at an inconvenient time. I usually put it on to charge every night, but there are times I forget and still have about 20-30% charge and with this phone that means probably about 7 hours talk time. So, you can't get better then with this phone.

SCREEN: I consider myself pretty knowledgeable with tech stuff, however still not real sure what AMOLED screen actually means. Maybe it's the smoothness of the screen, or how it seems to be scratch-proof, or drop-proof. Whatever it is, I love it. The screen is extremely smooth and I don't like screen protectors (they seem to collect dust) and I am not the most careful person in the world but it honestly seems to not get scratches and I have dropped it several times (hard and face down) and it never cracked. It did however crack when I lost my phone and didn't know in time, it was ran over and it sadly was cracked.

DURABILITY: AWESOME!! I mean even with a huge truck driving over my precious phone and being cracked, this sucker keeps on ticking! I was getting calls from my boyfriend and he couldn't hear me, so I thought perhaps it damaged the mic, under further inspection it was the newly place screen protector over the mic prohibiting sound. LOL Before it was run over I dropped this phone SEVERAL times and there were maybe one or two little nics on the side.

RELIABILITY: I live in pretty much an area that is white on ALL coverage maps, however I can miraculously get a signal on my Droid if I set it in the window. I thought it was Verizon's excellent coverage, but my son has a Samsung Stratosphere and it doesn't pick up at all. That alone deserves five stars! I haven't had any issues with my phone freezing up or not working correctly.

MOTOCAST: It comes with Motocast, Motorola's syncing station. For some reason I was having problems with my computer not wanting to find my device, thank Heaven's for Motocast! I was able to download the music from my PC straight to my phone. It also allows you to upload your pics to your PC. Truly a great feature!

SIZE: I love how big the screen is! It's crazy how a few years ago, the smaller the device the nicer. Now, it's back to being big! The size of this phone is perfect, in my opinion. It provides a nice, clear, crisp picture for viewing movies or pics. Despite it's big size, I can still slide it in my pocket (which is how it ended up run over, so be careful that your pockets are good and snug and not side slits).

CHARGER: The charger is cool because it has two USB ports, so you could actually charge two things at once. I, however, would recommend that you buy Amazon's charger for Kindle Fire Amazon Kindle PowerFast for Accelerated Charging (not included with device, for use with the new Kindle Fire or Kindle Fire HD models)I can fully charge my phone in like two hours.

VERIZON: I think that Verizon probably really does have the largest and fastest 4G coverage (everyone seems to say they do!), I don't quite like their pricing plans. I really think that we are being ripped off with these data prices! I mean it makes you wonder how Boost and other prepaid providers can offer unlimited everything and charge $45-$55 a month and still be able to make a profit! GREED, enough said. Although, I don't quite like my bill I am happy with the service.

I could really go on and on about my love for this device, but I will stop! This simply is an excellent product! I'm sure that the Maxx HD is a little better, since it's the MAXX updated.

4.0 out of 5 stars love this phone, November 6, 2012
I bought this phone when it first came out from amazon. I was looking for a good phone that would last longer than a couple of hours of use. I looked at a lot of side by side videos of the maxx against a lot of different phones and was happy with the out come. I ordered the phone and it came within 2 days. I was very happy with the phones looks and the size and a that. I took the phone to verizon and had it set up. It took me a couple hours to get it all set up and how I like it. There was a couple of things I wasn't crazy about but you deal. I have had the phone for quite a while now and have not had any real issues with the phone. I know that when my daughter was playing a game for two hours and I had a case on the phone, it did get hot and froze. I did a hard reset and it has been fine after that. I still have the phone. I still LOVE it. I suggest to everyone I know that this is a great phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars DROID RAZR maxx 4g, August 4, 2012
eric (kirksville, MO, United States) - See all my reviews
This is by far the best phone i have ever bought. I love it. Battery life is great. Not 21 hours for me but i am an exstreamly heavy user. "Gamer" . It lasts 16 hours easy for me which is wonderful i love it. ICS is quick and responsive. Cant say enough good stuff about this phone. This phone has set a new standard for future. Smartphones to match or surpass. Signal is great never dropped a call. It doesn't Heat up like other phones I've Had. Its built strong. The only drawback. Of this phone. Is where they put the plug ins they're on top which i personally don't like. But if that's the price of having this wonderfully wonderful phone I'll pay it gladly. The onscreen keyboard is big enough to use easy and i have big fingers. So don't let no keyboard stop you from this great phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good phone overall, July 29, 2012
I have had this phone for sometime and I feel confident to say that this phone is very good at most tasks. The reason I considered this one before anything else was the huge battery that comes with the maxx. NO PHONE IS PERFECT. In my case a powerful battery is very important because with a weak battery not even the most advanced phone is gonna work for a long period of time compared to an average phone. I do not have to think too much about charging it everyday or to close programs, turn off wifi,gps,bluetooth, etc. I no longer have to deal with task killers,battery savers or anything all the time.GPS is awesome, it takes 1 or 2 seconds to lock in, I previously had a motorola droid X and was happy with the performance overall but the maxx excels it. The camera is not the best but is not the worst either, all I had to do was get a camera app from google play and now the pictures look better. I have upgraded to ICS and my phone has no bugs, screen is very good it looks nice, I am sure some other phones may have a better screen but the difference is small that some of you would not notice anyway.If I wanted to have a nicer screen I would have gone with a galaxy samsung but then I would not have the stellar battery, accurate and fast GPS, good reception and solid construction of this device because I do not feel is gonna break easily. I am very happy with the maxx that already upgraded another line with a second maxx (family plan 3 lines)
If beautiful screen and incredible camera for taking pictures is a must for you then galaxy samsung could be your choice. I hope you choose the one phone that is perfect for your needs in the same way that razr maxx is perfect for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars HTC is a better phone, July 25, 2012
When I re-upped with Verizon, I chose this phone over the HTC Rezound. What a mistake. My previous phone was an HTC Incredible and I loved that phone. It was a 3G phone, so I wanted to upgrade to a 4G. The Verizon rep really talked up the RAZR Maxx. Perhaps they are told to do so. Not sure why. The phone locks up all of the time and the speaker is horrible. I'm seriously considering selling this phone and buying a HTC phone again.

‹ Previous | 15 6 722 | Next ›