4.0 out of 5 stars Uninspired by iPhone, returned Galaxy Nexus, happy with Razr Maxx
I thought I would upgrade to the iPhone 4S when I was eligible, but I felt blah about it. Everyone around me has an iPhone, which they love, but there were things that excited me more about with the new Android phones. I decided to go with the Galaxy Nexus because of its stellar reviews and high rankings on phone lists. I liked the screen size and resolution, and...
Published on January 31, 2012 by D. Southern

2.0 out of 5 stars Grrr, no sound!
I chose this phone because of the great reviews, but mainly because of the impressive battery life. For 6 weeks I had no problems and was very happy with this phone, until the speaker started cutting out. I looked at other complaints about this, and it did actually help to put pressure on the area just beneath the speaker on the back as suggested on other websites. Well,...
Published 23 months ago by F. Nightingale

‹ Previous | 16 7 822 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great phone, July 17, 2012
This review is from: Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX 4G Android Phone, Black 32GB (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
The phone is fast and smooth. LTE speeds are decent, 3G seems a smidge slower then T-mobile. The GPS finds it's bearings much faster then my old Galaxy S did. The phone doesn't always transition from LTE to 3G towers as well as I would like. I occasionally lose my internet radio station when I drive from 3G area to LTE. Battery life is excellent for an LTE phone. I was worried whether I would miss having the ability to swap batteries, so far no. The phone lasted about 2 days on a charge. This is with light/moderate use. I don't use the phone much at work, just before and after. Make sure you have wifi enabled when you are home as this phone is capable of using tremendous amounts of data.

Not happy about paying for 2 days of service while phone was in shipment. I think I would rather buy local if price is the same in the future.

These are my initial impressions of the phone, the service and buying from Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, June 9, 2012
Phenomenal battery life. Very thin considering it's battery sets the standard for all others. Build quality is excellent with Gorilla glass, aluminum, and kevlar. Feels much more solid than any other phone including the iPhone which is small and weighs more than it seems it should. Call quality is very good and I've found the GPS locates quickly. Processor speed is snappy and playing video, browsing, games and general usage are good. I have no problem with the screen, it's not the most pixel dense, but the colors are perfect and it's very sharp. There comes a point when a screen below about 5" is sharp enough to not notice pixels and I would assume a super high resolution screen would affect battery life also. I generally leave GPS and Bluetooth on when out of work and even after moderate to heavy use this phone leaves me with 30 to 40% battery left at the end of the day. I absolutely cant stress enough the relief of not having to worry about charging this phone until an honest 2 days of use. I've gone 3 days of light to moderate use before charging. No other phones even interest me without this kind of power. I'm glad Motorola USA is making the best phone available. With Google's purchase of Motorola things should even get better. ICS please.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, June 2, 2012
Started with the OG Droid; kept until I upgraded to a 4G LTE phone last summer. My choices at the time were the Thunderbolt, the Charge or the LG Revolution. I went with the Rev, for several reasons. However, it was not a popular phone and seemed like the support disappeared very quickly. 4G is unbelievable. However, with time the phone seemed to become slower and slower and multiple issues that started small became very, very annoying. I decided to go ahead and pay for a non-contract phone as I hated the Rev so much. I was going to wait until the summer phones came out, but the LG forced my hand when it decided to stop charging no matter which cord I used. So, went to Verizon and grabbed the Razr Maxx. I know it will be getting ICS soon and the longer battery life was very attractive. I ended up signing up for Verizon's landline service which enabled me to pay the $199. And by some miracle, I turned in the LG and got back half the price I'd paid originally. I probably should have bought a lottery ticket right after that, but I was too busy playing with my new phone.

Things I love: battery life; it's so fast; I'm back to Motorola, which is what I started with and am very familiar with; beautiful screen; it's actually smaller (thinner and lighter) than the LG Rev; boots way faster and powers on and off very quickly; have yet to find an app that it has trouble with (even some that wouldn't run correctly on LG Rev, even though they both have Gingerbread 2.3.6); I got to keep my unrestricted data plan; call clarity is actually better then the LG; camera is very fast

Small cons: power button on side; LG had nice attached coverings for the power port, the usb port, etc if you weren't using them; even though thinner, it can be more awkward to hold-I do not have a cover on it, so this would probably fix that issue.

Overall, I'm very happy. I've not used a phone with ICS, so I don't feel like I'm missing anything. There are very few things I don't like about the phone. It's only been a week, so I may come up with more pros/cons with further use, but I do know it is such a relief to be rid of the Rev and a real pleasure to use a phone that is fast and does what I want it to do. I'm excited about my phone again, which is a nice feeling!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Phone Ever, June 1, 2012
This phone is the best phone available when i bought it back in Febuary. The screen, size, durabilty and battery life are all outstanding. I have only praise for the phone. Get it you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Smartphone EVER!!!, May 29, 2012
This phone is just simply amazing. The battery life is amazing. I have lost power at my house for 3 days and I was not conserving my battery at all. I was taking pics, texting, download, ect for three days straight and battery life just hit 50% on the morning of Day 3. Its really fast, has not locked up once. With 4G in my area surfing the web is amazing. This phone is just awesome. Good job Motorola!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone I've owned to date! ICE update!!, May 28, 2012
Just finished the official OS update of ICS(Ice Cream Sandwich)for those not in the know.
The install went smoothly and so far I like it. There are plenty of in-depth reviews for those really interested.

I like my reviews short and sweet. So to the point, this phone is awesome. I upgraded from a Samsung Galaxy Fascinate and the setup couldn't have been easier. I charged the phone (70% delivered) and signed in to my google account and I'm basically done. Ok time for the key points.

1. Battery life is fantastic. Beats all other phones out there for now. Over 35-40+ hours between charges with 20% left.
2. Signal strength excellent. I'm able to text and make calls in areas of my house and office that I couldn't do before.
3. Still thin and looks good in OEM Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX Shell Combo.
4. Smart Action really works to save battery power.
5. Screen doesn't disappoint but camera is nothing to write home about.
6. Actually the phone doesn't feel much bigger than my Galaxy.
7. 4G is faster than my home DSL. LOL

Well that's my short review. You will not be disappointed purchasing a Razr Maxx.

5.0 out of 5 stars Razr MAXX is an almost perfect smartphone!, May 15, 2012
I choose this phone, along with a Razr for my wife, after much research. The lack of ICS and NFC gave me pause, but with ICS coming and NFC still not ready in the US, I was happy choosing this. Tough and durable, this should easily last me 2 years. The Kevlar back has a nice feel and the whole phone feels solid and ready for years of normal use.

The Razr Maxx is an almost perfect smartphone. It replaced my HD2 so I was used to the size. The 4.3" AMOLED screen is beautiful and covered with Gorilla Glass. The dual core 1.2ghz processor is unstoppable. Expandable storage to 32gb. I wish the battery was removable so as to allow for easier re-boots if Android hangs, but I'll trade the fantastic battery life for having a sealed battery.

The battery life is as good as the reviews say. I think the Razr Maxx's 3300 mAh battery is stronger than some tablet batteries. I leave the LTE on, as well as Wi-Fi and usually Bluetooth. All day. I have one of several Live Wallpapers running too. All day. I've gotten the battery down to 20% by day's end once or twice, but that was after heavy use. Not needing to charge during the day and still using the phone to its fullest capacity is really nice.

The 8mb camera is useful and mostly eliminates the need for a dedicated camera. HD video capture is pretty good and more than adequate for normal life events.

My Razr Maxx, along with Google Maps, makes for a great GPS in my car. If I purchase the Razr Maxx vehicle dock, I would have greater functionality. I have an older GPS device that I put on a shelf next to my old digital camera.

Smart Actions is a useful tool. This is a simple set of instructions that can be used like a macro. You set up trigger events and which will then execute the actions you've pre-determined for a given event. For example, when my Maxx logs onto my home Wi-Fi Smart Actions automatically shuts down cellular data, adjusts the screen brightness upward and extends the screen blackout timer. It changes my settings back when it logs off my home Wi-Fi, automatically.

The 4G LTE speeds are amazing. I've tested it in various locations and the D/L speeds range from 6MBs to 12MBs. My cable modem is usually 3MBs. Upload is fast too. I ran the speed test in my local T-Mobile store and the clerks were amazed and jealous that T-Mobile doesn't offer any smartphones as powerful or as fast. Then I explained MotoCast to them. They understood why I left T-Mobile after 9.5 years.

MotoCast is Motorola's s/w that enables a connection between my Razr Maxx and my computer...all the time and from anywhere. I've got 10 years of data in Outlook but I didn't have to abandon Outlook to use my Razr Maxx, unlike Windows Phone 7 forces home users to do. I plugged the cable in and MotoCast copied my contacts from Outlook onto my phone in about a minute. MotoCast syncs contacts regularly and Google calendar syncs with Outlook. Even though syncing my Razr Maxx is a little bit more involved than with my HD2, I've got amazing features that Windows Phone 7 and iPhone users won't soon have, if ever.

MotoCast is nothing like a cloud drive because MotoCast does not force me to choose a few GB of media or data to upload onto a 3rd party "Cloud-drive". I have well over 5gb of songs and way more than that in videos. I have full "cloud" access to everything on my computer, without depending on 3rd party servers or shuffling files between a cloud drive and my computer. Real life example: My wife and I were out driving and she wanted to listen to a particular artist. I simply used MotoCast to access my home computer and played the desired album in our car. Without worrying if I had it on my phone or a 3rd party cloud-drive. MotoCast will also upload new pictures and captured video to my home computer. My only concern with MotoCast is that Google will somehow mess it up when they finish buying Motorola Mobility.

The ecosystem of devices available to me was a big factor too. I've got the HD Dock and this allows my phone to act as an alarm clock while charging. I can play all the music I own, output HDMI video to my HDTV using the mini-HDMI port. My phone can use the HDMI connection to my TV to become a small netbook-type computer using Webtop. My Razr Maxx acts like a touchpad mouse to control a cursor on the TV screen. Firefox and other apps are available. I can buy a laptop-type of dock that comes with its own screen and ports. The combination of Webtop and the laptop-type dock provides me with a usable netbook if needed.

Awesome smartphone, strong h/w, ICS soon, MotoCast, Webtop, Smart Actions and very useful accessories make this expensive smartphone a great value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to Imagine a Better Phone, April 3, 2012
Upgraded from Droid X. Obviously the draw here is the battery life. Lasts two solid days with normal use and corporate email syncing constantly. It is a striking piece of equipment, love the feel of it (although it is a bit slick). Thin enough to not notice it in the pocket although it is a very large phone. Navigating the phone is speedy with no lag whatsoever that I have seen.

Cons: Not thrilled about the placement of the ports on the top of the phone; makes it difficult/awkward to talk while the phone is charging. To charge it fully takes 3-4 hours in my experience, as would be expected with such an enormous battery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome battery life, March 26, 2012
I've owned a number of smartphones, and the common complaint about them all is battery life. The Razor Maxx is the only exception I've found. I've had mine about a month now, and for the first three days I actually had trouble running the battery all the way down to fully charge it as recommended at first. It's now 9:30 pm, I've been using my Maxx moderately since 6 am, and it's still showing 2/3 charge. Other advantages: size, processor speed, and clarity of the display screen. I honestly can't think of a downside.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Smartphone I have owned, March 21, 2012
As of right now, I can easily say this is the best smart phone I have owned. Battery is as advertised, and you can go 2-3 days if you actually put effort into conserving battery life (use WIFI whenever possible, turn data off when its not needed, use Smart Actions app, etc). But you will easily get a full day with normal use, for almost any type of smartphone user. Does well on 4g and even better on 3g.

Voice quality is perfectly fine, phone is snappy and responsive, and Motorola's custom Android skin works fine. Phone feels nice, and I would recommend the Diztronic case for it (if you want a case), fits well and does not add much weight to the device.

‹ Previous | 16 7 822 | Next ›