4.0 out of 5 stars Uninspired by iPhone, returned Galaxy Nexus, happy with Razr Maxx
I thought I would upgrade to the iPhone 4S when I was eligible, but I felt blah about it. Everyone around me has an iPhone, which they love, but there were things that excited me more about with the new Android phones. I decided to go with the Galaxy Nexus because of its stellar reviews and high rankings on phone lists. I liked the screen size and resolution, and...
Published on January 31, 2012 by D. Southern

2.0 out of 5 stars Grrr, no sound!
I chose this phone because of the great reviews, but mainly because of the impressive battery life. For 6 weeks I had no problems and was very happy with this phone, until the speaker started cutting out. I looked at other complaints about this, and it did actually help to put pressure on the area just beneath the speaker on the back as suggested on other websites. Well,...
Published 23 months ago by F. Nightingale

‹ Previous | 18 9 1022 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars My new best friend, January 8, 2013
sherry denny (flagstaff, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX 4G Android Phone, Black 32GB (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I'm 60 years old and finally made the jump to getting a smartphone. If you have good basic computer skills you can have a great time with this phone. I've had mine for about 6 months now and at times I do indeed wonder why I waited so long to get a smartphone. I consider this phone to be very high quality and extremely durable. About 3 months after I got it, I fell while hiking. It was a hard enough fall that it cracked the screen (it was in my pocket screen out). Had the phone not been in my pocket, I probably would have a broken hip instead of a bruise. Long story short, the phone still worked! I shipped it into Motorola and they replaced the screen and sent it back within 10 days. I'm more careful now and have a good case to protect the phone. We are friends for life now. The sound quality is excellent and the camera is pretty good for snapshots. The Android apps will change your life! And let's face it, the world is moving to smartphones with or without us.

5.0 out of 5 stars No but seriously, the battery is ridiculous., October 1, 2012
Michelle (Hampstead, MD, United States) - See all my reviews
Like any new phone with a new OS, there's a learning curve. I've been on Android for four years, and I love it, and ICS is new to me with this phone. It's made some interesting, unexpected improvements over Gingerbread. But it's still Android, and performs as such (ie, well).

This review is basically about the battery. Which is insane.

My last phone was a Droid X running Gingerbread. Most days I didn't need to charge my phone until I went to bed at night, but I definitely needed to charge at night. Some days I'd come home from work and my battery would be just about dead (and die before I charged it at bedtime). Some days, if I was really hammering at it, I would need to charge during the day. This had become normal for me, and was only rarely a problem.

The Maxx? I mean, I use it a lot, but I can't seem to kill the battery. One night, shortly after I got it, it was down to 30 or 40 percent when I was going to bed, so I played a graphics heavy game for a while, trying to kill it. After an hour of play, I backed out of the game to check my power level-- I had barely done any damage at all. Perhaps I should have tried downloading something at the same time.

Yesterday I didn't use it much-- and I had it plugged in while I was using the navigation-- and 12 hours after leaving the house I was still at 100%. Any other phone I've had would have dropped some power in the interim, from processes and whatnot, but not this.

Why all phones can't do this yet is beyond me. But this is magical, and now I look at other people's Android powered phones that are down to 20% battery at the end of the day and mock them with my 60%.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, September 30, 2012
I went from the Droid Global 2 (slide out keyboard) to the Razr Maxx after dropping my Global 2 in water for the second time. The new operating system is super smooth and has lots of little improvements, which I find to be intuitive. Given the reviews on the screen breaking, and the speakers going out, I went with warranty through Costco which includes everything (even liquid) short of losing your phone. It's $100 for 2 years, with a $25 deductible each time you break your phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Smartphone I have ever owned - Better than Galaxy Nexus!, September 28, 2012
Bought a Galaxy Nexus first but burned through a fully charged battery in less than a day (~4- hours of use) and kept dropping calls in first week of use on Verizon's usually excellent network. So turned it in and exchanged it for the Razr Maxx. What a GREAT decision. This phone holds a charge all day long (8+ hours) with heavy use. With light use while studing for an exam, I timed it and it lasted 74 HOURS before recharging! ARE YOU KIDDING ME???!!! NO!!!!!!! That is the ABSOLUTE TRUTH! Never even heard of a smartphone lasting 2 days, let alone 3! And my previous 2 smartphones I added extended batteries to them but none lasted this long. I suspect Motorola has optimized the software with the imbedded extended battery for primo extended use. Have owned this phone for a few months now and have not regreted it at all. Love it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Camera and poor Motorola Customer support, September 20, 2012
After lot of research before buying my smart phone, I finally decided to go with Razr MAXX as it has more battery life. I bought it Mar 2012, i am happy with phone over all. But if you are in market for a smart phone and Camera quality is a deal breaker for you, STOP reading further and move on to different smart phone. This thing has a terrible camera, photos come out grainy and if you are indoors forget about the photo. When i bought i knew camera wasn't great but i thought Motorola would provide a software update to provide fix it but they never did. After using it for a while and after upgrading to Android ICS my motocast app (which is provided by Motorola to access the computers you configure from phone) stopped working. I tired looking into various forums and looks like no one had solution except to reset to Factory settings... Kidding me!! After using it for 6months who the hell want to reset to factory settings and go through the hassle of restoring everything back. So i approached Motorola Customer Support, we had chain of emails back and forth trying to resolve and finally they could not resolve and closed my case stating forwarding request to advance support team and no one ever got back to me. Now i know why people love Apple. Again i love Android OS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone I've ever owned!, September 1, 2012
J. B. (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews
I've owned several Iphones, many Androids (including Galaxy Nexus), but this is by far the phone I'm most pleased with. The battery lasts longer than the biggest extended battery I could find in every other phone including a 3,800 mah battery I put in my Galaxy Nexus. I also get 1-2 extra bars of service than my Nexus too. Not one complaint on this phone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Future proof!, August 29, 2012
I would first like to state all the apple fanboys on here shouldn't sway you from buying this phone, anyone who compares Android to Apple in a product review is going to pick about such little things. Face it, android is a lot more customizable, and some are frightened.

The Droid Razr Maxx, is by far the greatest phone I have owned.
It is future proof because of the extremely large battery, which you cannot dislike.
The screen itself is exceptional, and people are comparing it to iPhones why? We all know the apple business model, make it look pretty and people will pay a crapload for it.
It's extremely fast, and when you arent having firmware issues, I don't see how somebody can complain. I was lucky enough to (so far) have a almost bug free ICS. Which has fixed past issues.

So if you want a phone with a great screen, greater battery, typical android customization, and dual core speed, you should stick with this one .

3.0 out of 5 stars Hardware issues?, August 17, 2012
Bought the Razr Maxx from Amazon in April, 2012. I expect the battery life is good, but charge it every night by habit so have never seen less than 60%. Phone calls are clear and reliable.

I have had some issues with the phone:
1. Three times now it has locked up with soft and hard resets (power plus volume and other buttons) not sufficient to reboot. The trick seems to be to wait at least an hour and then try resets. Twice I've had to restore to factory settings and then re-install apps, etc. One of those times Verizon took me through an arcane series of holding buttons trying to reach a boot loader menu. Even that took several tries.
2. The default naming for internal and external flash memory is too similar.
3. I do not receive software updates pushed from Verizon. When I check manually I have to be on 3G to check, then activate WiFi to download. Installing the ICS (4.0) update required restoring factory defaults. Not sure how much of this is the phone hardware and how much Motorola/Verizon.
4. ICS feels much slower than earlier versions. Especially when trying to enter the security unlock code.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wi-Fi Connection is Excellent, August 8, 2012
Two of the hottest phones on the market right now are the Droid Razr Maxx and the Galaxy S3. Recently my wife purchased the Galaxy S3 and I purchased the Razr Maxx. We have been informally comparing features and performance and arguing about whose phone is better. Of course the 3300 mAh battery lets the Razr Maxx easily beat the Galaxy S3 in time between charges. I had to agree that the Galaxy S3 has a more "modern" look to it.

We discovered last night that the Razr Maxx seems to win in the Wi-Fi connective contest. We were both at a minor league baseball game using the free Wi-Fi connection that the ballpark provides. We were sitting side-by-side, but the Galaxy S3's Wi-Fi connection kept disconnecting. The Razr Maxx held on to the Wi-Fi connection all night without a problem.

We were pretty far from the Wi-Fi access point because the signal strength was quite weak. Both phones had been fully charged in the morning and were both above 50% charged at the time.

This is only one data point and your results may vary, but if Wi-Fi connectivity is important to you, in my experience the Razr Maxx does a better job with Wi-Fi than the Galaxy S3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Phone, though you are going to have to protect/store the sticker on back, August 4, 2012
J. Norman (Phoenix, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
I don't think any phone is perfect, but this one is darn good.

I've had it now for about 3 months and I'd be hard pressed to give you a real complaint about it. First, that battery life... fantastic. It *was* better before Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) was installed, but supposedly a fix for this will be coming out sometime in August. Even with that minor glitch, the battery lasts a long time, and I've never gotten it below 15% in a whole day without deliberate effort (lots of voice calls, Angry Birds, GPS and Bluetooth.)

21 hours of talk time? Get real! But I do talk on it often enough and without worrying about it running out of power. Charge overnight and then take it with you in the morning.. still going strong at night.

Angry Birds and the wireless hotspot are the only things that really seems to put a strain on the power. I've even played hours of music at a time.

I do use JuiceDefender, which is fine, but I was getting great battery life even without it.

Camera takes solid pictures, though nothing replaces a true dedicated digital camera. But it'll do what's needed.

Touch screen is responsive 99.9% of the time, with the occasional hiccup. Everything runs fast and quickly with no lag.

Now Ice Cream Sandwich, the update DEFINITELY improves voice dictation and settings are laid out nicer. But with Motorola's skin on Gingerbread anyway you can't tell.

Yup, there's bloatware on this thing, but it doesn't appear to get in the way. Plenty of space for Apps, Photos, Video and Music with plenty left over.

I find the up/down volume keys a pain to use, and the SIM door occasionally pops open. Yeah, those are the major complaints, and honestly... they aren't really big complaints.

I've dropped the phone exactly once and with ZERO consequence.

‹ Previous | 18 9 1022 | Next ›