Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on December 28, 2010
Pros: Great call quality, fast processor, nice quality screen; Cons: Motoblur, no HD Video.

I had a Motorola Cliq and swore I would never use another Motorola Android phone after that experience. I had planned to upgrade to a G2 or MyTouch HD, but just couldn't afford it. I read the reviews on this device and decided to give Motorola one last chance.

I can't yet speak on whether or not the experience with support or upgrades will be any better as it is too soon to tell, but the device itself is a great phone. The screen is not huge, but it's not small either; it is bright and very easy to read. Images look great on it as well. Though it only has a 800mghz processor it does run rather well and if you plan to root this thing you can easily get your phone up to 1ghz or more. I am not the biggest fan of Motoblur as it can cause the phone to lag, but replacing the Moto home screen can take care of a lot of that lag. The picture quality is not the best, but it is decent; I only wish it had HD video, but for quick videos on the fly it gets the job done.

If you are in the market for a quality Android phone, but can't afford the $200 price tag of most high end phones, this would make a great choice for you.
on December 27, 2010
I purchased this phone about a month ago and it is really everything i hoped it would be. the only thing i don't care for is the way the camera capture button works through the touch screen rather than a button on the casing. I live at the beach and this phone goes with me everywhere, and after a month (without being in a case) this phone looks just as it did when I took it out of the box. It has enough features to impress without being so overly complicated that you never use them. I would reccommend this phone to any person who is tired of caring for their phone like a newborn, I don't want to buy cases and screen protectors. I've even swam with this phone in my board shorts a couple of times! (not on purpose) and have had no issues what so ever.
on May 12, 2011
I got this phone after having moved from Verizon to T-Mobile. My dad got the same phone, as we both liked the water-resistant/shock-proof/dust-proof features as well as the wi-fi calling and such. After having the phone since February, I have very little complaints, especially after the Android 2.2 (FroYo) update. The only issue is that the phone still seems to be a little sluggish, and freezes occasionally for a few seconds. This has gotten better since the update, but it is still kind of annoying. It is made worse by certain apps. Although this is an issue, I kind of accepted the fact that for the ruggedness of the phone (I have dropped it many times, and it still works like a charm)I had to give up some processor speed. The ability to have a 3G hotspot, included in the update, was a major bonus. One small, minor complaint is that QuickOffice was pre-installed on the phone (not QuickOffice Pro). Having used an LG Optimus while waiting for my Defy to arrive, I really liked that QuickOffice Pro was pre-installed on that phone. I also miss the physical Home/Menu/Back/Search keys, as the touch ones are unresponsive at times and rather annoying when an accidental touch sets them off. Otherwise, I really do like this phone, and it is one of the best phones I have ever had.
on February 3, 2011
Pros: lightweight, durable, small, fast, Android OS, T-Mobile network, DLNA, GPS very accurate, speaker is LOUD, reliable

Cons: Gorilla Glass will sometimes have some issues recognized your finger in extreme cold, camera could probably be better, needs better Flash support

First I'd like to say I was an early adopter to the entire Android platform coming from a G1. This phone fulfilled all my expectations and made up for all the shortcomings of the G1. Before I made the decision on buying this phone I spent a week with the MyTouch 4G before returning it for this. The MyTouch is an outstanding phone don't get me wrong but it just wasn't for me. I found the Mytouch to be too big and heavy and thought I would break it if I dropped it. I was tempted by the front facing camera which I came to the realization that it would never get used. I've already dropped the Defy multiple times with no issues. Don't be fooled by some of the specs this phone is fast. After coming from the rooted G1 I was also skeptical on the entire Motoblur interface. I really don't see what the big deal is that you have to make a free account through Motorola and deal with some different icons on the screen. If you really don't like the look of it try LauncherPro. If you are new to the Android platform don't worry, if you don't like the way something is on the phone there is probably a free application to download that will function the way you want. I wish Amazon had this phone when I bought it but I had to go to the T-Mobile store.

If you have any questions let me know and I'll try to help you out.
1010 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 13, 2011
[My previous two phones were the EVO 4g and the iPhone] I can sort of see what happens. The Motorola Defy gets really overlooked because on paper the specs aren't there like with the monster phones [EVO, Atrix, Droid, etc.]. Does it have 4g? large screen? I gb processor? HD video? 8mp camera? No? Then people automatically move on. Heck, the T-Mobile person at the mall never even heard of the Defy.

Pity. Because this is one sophisticated, well-thought out, evolved device. I know what design at Motorola did: they balanced several different *kinds* of performance. Not only speed, but endurance. Not only features, but durability. Not just stats, but overall user experience. So they dialed back on the 4g and gave it 3g knowing 4g isn't all that much faster yet but it hogs battery power. They gave it a smaller footprint, too. The Defy's overall dimensions are smaller than the iPhone 3g. But the screen is larger.

Result: the Motorola Defy is satisfyingly fast*, gets respectable battery life, and has all kinds of evolved features. Like wifi calling: still uses your minutes but helps when there's a weak cell signal. You can also sync wirelessly to transfer files. You can stream video content wirelessly to any DLNA-compliant flatscreen. Motorola included a task manager and a battery usage manager, as if to say, 'we know about the battery thing'. Of course it has wifi hotspot capabilities. And on and on.

And oh, yes, you can dunk the Defy in 3 feet of water for 30 minutes and it'll still be good. It's dustproof--and dust is a major source of mobile phone malfunctions. And it's shock resistant.

So, I don't know, it sort of makes my previous phones seem like Barbie phones. "You mean you can't answer in the shower or take a call in driving rain?" [smile] It's just nice when a device you depend on so much is so consistently satisfying to use. Thanks Motorola for having my back.

Nice phone. I'm in.

*Mine scores about 1050 on Quadrant benchmark tests, which puts it just behind the Droid X and EVO 4G.
on May 11, 2011
Unless you get one of these with a defective, crack-prone screen (in which case my sympathy goes out to you) this is a high-quality mid-to-low-end Android device.

It just received an update to Android 2.2 (still almost a year behind) and runs MotoBlur (a skin on top of Android that drags the experience down) but aside from those two things this is a great phone.

The call quality is superb. People didn't know that I was calling from a cell phone unless I told them. And this is on T-Mobile's creaky network.

It's Android, so of course you get over 200,000 apps and great Google integration. This phone feels great in the hand because it's pretty compact and well-designed.

So, unless you're one of the unfortunate few who ended up with a dud that Motorola will not replace, you're in for a treat!
on December 29, 2010
My testimonial: I have no connection WHATSOEVER in ANYWAY to this product other than as a consumer.

There were some real issues with the Defy from the start: 1) short battery life, 2) inability to stop the constant sync from apps I don't use which drained the battery, 3) couldn't make calls out (for the first week--it is resolved--don't know what caused it and T-Mobile gave me credit). I do not like the fact that you have to have a Google account and it must be linked to the phone to be able use the phone FROM THE *START*. Big, big draw back. I did not know this--I think, the professional reviewers deliberate muddled this fact in their reviews giving an impression that one would need a Google account to use the phone's Web-browsing. No, no, the phone must be linked to a Google account FROM THE START to use any of the phone's features. I believe this is true for all Android phones. Back to the phone:

Apparently, many Defy users complained about the first two nuisances listed here and somehow someone somewhere listened and T-Mobile updated with a program to put non-engaged apps to sleep until user turn on app. Now, I only need to charge the phone every four days with "real" phone use. (I don't use the phone to chat my life story away, to play games, for business, to be distracted with email/IM/texting (unless it's an emergency), and reserve my Interent use only when it is needed. These activities can be done on my home computer. I go out to interact with the world, not with cyberspace--if the latter, I might as well stay home.) I gave the Defy three stars because of the start up problems mentioned. Service provider and Google aside, the phone itself is a great phone who is limited by the businesses that locked it in--I will jail break my phone after contract--I wonder if I'll still me shackled to Google after that. (Anyone with the answer, please post a comment.) We should be able to use any phone we buy with any wireless company--ALL phones should be UNLOCKED; we should NOT have to keep buying new phones everytime we switch wireless service nor should we have to pay $750+ for the unlock privilege. This is totally unfair. I don't have to buy a new car, a new house, or a new land-line telephone when I switch insurance company, utlility provider, or telephone company--so I don't see why we have to be subjected to this lock-market system for cell phones. Sorry, back to the phone:

You can check out the Defy's prominent features in YouTube, so this review is limited to my hands on daily use experience. The overall size of the phone is small enough to be slipped into pants pocket or a small bag and large enough not to be missed. The screen is the biggest for it size (it is bigger than all versions of the iPhone--though you would not pay attention or notice this big advantage at first). It has many menu control options and sub-menu options for customization. It feels solid and has a slight weight, not too heavy to tire but enough to be tough. (I think the Gorilla Glass screen accounts for the bulk of the weight.) I am not gentle with my phone (toss it here and there, into bags with other hard objects. etc.) but I don't abuse it (drop it on concrete, let my dog chew it, etc.) either and it still looks brand new--hardy any scratches on the glass or the casing. The videos and pics come out sharp. Pics resolution can be adjusted to match end use.(This defines the clarity and sharpness for other uses--most people do not adjust camera resolution accordingly, when available, therefore the pic's quality might not fit a particular purpose.) There's too much in the Defy to be detailed here. If anyone have specific questions, I'll answer them as they are posted in the comments. The Defy could be a 4.5 rated phone if not for the Android restrictions. Still, I am happy with the Defy and I can't wait to see what it can do when it gets out of jail.
on December 20, 2010
Great phone. Worked right from the box. Yes, it required me to set up that MOTOBLUR account, but it wasn't a major hassle. On top of this, BLUR will back up all the contacts, which is convenient. I did remove most of the software that MOTOBLUR wants to work with in order not to kill my data plan for needles updates. However, there is an option to allow MOTOBLUR to sync only over WiFi, which is very convenient.
The battery life of this phone is great. When used judiciously (no WiFi, no GPS, no BT, no 3G - i.e. just simple voice calls) it can last a couple of days.
Overall it is a great phone for what a phone is supposed to be.
on July 22, 2011
I received a Motorola Defy as a replacement for a malfunctioning Motorola Cliq XT, from T-Mobile. The very next day after I received it, I accidentally dropped it into a large waste water treatment plant, collection tank....probably 10 ft deep or so, with a 10-12" layer of pretty toxic sludge on the bottom. The phone was down there every bit of 20 minutes, while I stomped around spouting bad words, and finally getting what I needed together to attempt to fish it out. I got the phone out of the water, coated in toxic sludge, took it to a sink and rinsed it off, and it came right on!! ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT, that I can see. I do environmental work, so this is definitely the phone for me. It's an Android 2.1 Smartphone and is amazing of course. Easy to operate.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 10, 2011
I have had none of the problems anyone on here has apparently had. Yes, it is kind of shady that Motorola won't repair defective screens. I haven't had any problems with that though, so I can't really say anything about that. However, this phone is not sluggish. If someone is complaining about this phone running slow, they probably have a ton of background apps running. I have gotten into the habit of using ATK (Advanced Task Killer) after using just about any app, unless I plan on going right back into it. That seems to keep things running smoothly for me. This phone has an 800MHz processor (same speed as the original Droid) and rarely lags, hangs up, or freezes on me. Yes, it happens from time to time, but I haven't heard of/used ANY phone that doesn't do that occasionally.

Someone told me that this phone has a small screen when I was researching it. Yes, compared to some other Android phones, it does have a small screen. However, I feel as though the screen size is perfect. I can easily reach any point on the screen with my thumb, without having to awkwardly hold the phone. The sides and back of the phone are made out of some rubberized material, which makes holding the phone very easy. I have great signal and coverage just about everywhere, the 3G and Wifi work great, the Bluetooth is easy to use and also works well. The camera (5MP) isn't as great as the cameras on other newer Android phones, but it is still good for a cell phone camera and will shoot a pretty good quality photo in just about all light conditions.

I've read tons and tons of complaints about MotoBlur. I have no problems with it. In fact, I actually kind of like the fact that it consolidates all of my email accounts/Facebook/etc. I had zero problems setting it up and have not had any problems with it since.

I only have two complaints with this phone. One is that the battery life isn't as long as I would like, but it is something I can deal with. Another is that it is sometimes really easy to accidentally press the "Quick Search" Android button on the right side right underneath the screen. It can get annoying having the quick search thing popping up at random, but that is likely also a problem with other Android phones. Or it's just me holding the phone weird.

I'd definitely recommend this phone if you are looking for a fairly quick Android based phone that will take some abuse.