on August 23, 2009
I recently purchased the Motorola DECT 6.0 Corded/Cordless system and I must say I am pleasantly surprised. I previously owned a GE DECT 6.0 phone and it was terrible. There was excessive static even with just a dial tone using their corded base phone. The phone was not around any televisions or other electronic devices, just did not work. Maybe the noisiest corded phone I have ever owned. Needless to say it was returned. I purchased this phone with a little trepidation based on the GE and there is no comparison. The corded Motorola phone has exceptional clarity with the base phone and the handsets. The static that was so much the problem with the GE, is non-existent. None of the ringtones mimic a regular telephone but I have gotten over that already. A cool feature of the phone is the ability to add ring tone music to a specific incoming number, from the preloaded selections. Haven't used the phone very long but my initial impression is all positive. Interestingly I could not find a review for the phone before I bought it so I decided to post one.
on December 5, 2009
I bought model L402V of this phone Dec 2009 from Sam's Club, for about $50. There are two phones: one a corded base with an answering machine, the other a cordless phone with charger. The packaging had an earth-friendly "green" notice, which I found appealing. The buttons on both phones are comfortable and easy to press.

I did have trouble changing the base to wall mount. The "quick start" guide omitted this issue, and the extended manual contains such tiny images that I had difficulty reading it. When I tried to reverse the clip that holds the phone on a wall-mounted base, it came loose and shot across the room. Luckily, I retrieved it before the cat got it.

Discouragingly, once wall mounted, the phone hangs crooked when the receiver is hung up. I fixed that problem by putting sticky tack behind it (the stretchy stuff you use to hang up posters). Although the manual said it would have to be charged for 24 hours before first use, the cordless phone had enough charge in the battery to try it out.

The phones are slim, stylish, and mainly intuitive to use. One not very intuitive feature is that in order to make a call from the base, you have to press the "speaker" button. With the exception of the intercom feature, they mostly work as if they are separate phones, and their differences can be confusing.

The cordless phone has great audio transmission without static or interference, even in distant parts of the house. We've had trouble inside our house with previous phones. I like that each entry in the phone book can be customized with one of ten ringtones, some of which are really cute. The ringtones apply separately to each phone, so the phones will ring at the same time, using separate melodies.

A disadvantage is that it's hard to see the location of the tiny microphone on the base, and you have to speak very close to the phone when recording a memo or the outgoing message. For this reason, the audio quality of the memos and outgoing messages can be poor. However, the audio quality of the actual phone conversations is very good, and the volume is easy to adjust.

The two separate phonebooks are also a bit annoying. There doesn't seem to be a way to link phonebooks so that each time you save a number it appears in the both the base and the cordless phone. 30 numbers can be saved on each phone. Confusingly, the base will not save an incoming caller's number if it's not in the phonebook, but the cordless will do so.

The font size on the LCD screen of the base makes it easy to see the numbers and names. The base lights up only when active, which (I hope) saves energy. The speakerphone and mute features work well. For those who don't mind figuring out the quirks, this phone combination is a good purchase.
on August 29, 2010
First, I want to say that I love this phone (set). It just works, feels good in the hand and by the ear and doesn't weigh 5 pounds.

Some people have made good reviews already of this phone set but there were a couple things I thought to add or suggest.

The corded phone w/ answering system and speaker phone - for me, has too short of a cord. I bought a long black one @ Radio Shack which works better. The corded phone does indeed ring and take/send calls when there is a power outage. We had a big storm and the power went out and sure enough, it was the only phone that rang (a call to see if we were alright :). The speakerphone works about 'average' - my older Panasonic (and much more expensive) speakerphone performs much better. But for use on my desk, the Motorola is sufficient for a speakerphone. I like the style of these phones, they look smartly constructed (but not heavy).

One thing to note on the ANSWERING MACHINE - if you do have a power outage or even some kind of interruption on your phone line, then go and check if the answering machine reset to not recording messages. I found this to be the case. For example, I have DSL internet here and the tech. guy upgraded my TV/cable signal (thru phone line) and though no power went out or anything, the action still turned the answering system off. The little 'new message icon' is a bit small (another reviewer stated this with some ferocity) BUT if you do have new messages, it will state this in words on the panel saying like, "2 new messages". So no worries there. I did find it easy to listen to the messages from the cordless phone which is a nice feature. I like the feel of the keypad. OH, and this is a bonus - the answering machine voice is a FEMALE, so I used that instead of recording my own. (finally!) All the other phones I've had in the past had male voices, so this was nice as I'm a woman and don't always want my own voice on the recording. That was a pleasant surprise, not a biggie, but a plus.

The cordless phone is lightweight, has good reception about what most phones have, performs without any problems. There is not a clip on the back of the phone (like many of my other cordless phones have had) and I confess I miss that. But it's not a big deal. I just got used to sliding the phone (with a clip) on to my pants/trousers, whatever, when I wanted to be hands-free but needed to carry the phone with me (like outside). The footprint of the cordless phone in the charger is small which is great. Doesn't take up much room at all. The battery seems to last a long time, I haven't worn it out yet and I've had some long phone calls and left it off the charger. So the battery life is good. Better than average.

Four and a half stars for the less important notes I left here otherwise it's a complete winner for me. 50 bucks is an excellent value, really for all you get. I had an AT&T similar setup and didn't like it. It was only several months old. The older Panasonic cordless phone/anwering/speaker phone I still have, (was real expensive in the day), but I have that in the kitchen because the speakerphone is superb. I can walk to the pantry and can still talk and be heard. amazing. (they don't make 'em like they used to). But I digress..

This Motorola combo phone set was exactly what I was looking for. I wanted a corded phone that would work in power outages, had an answering machine and speaker phone, looks nice, and is easy to use on my desk. The cordless has good clear reception, long battery life, easy to use and feels good in the hand (which is a big deal) and I use that everywhere else.

I added a few pics for your review so you can see what the phone(s) look like when not appearing like an advertising graphic. Also, the color of the screen when it lights up is not so yellow gold as in the ad photos, so I took a pic of that. It's more yellow orange, in case you'd like to know.

I highly recommend this phone set if what you're looking for is anything like what I found.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on January 7, 2010
I purchased this phone as a replacement for an old Panasonic set. I was impressed by its clean design and compact size, both of which were great when I received the unit. However, the keypad on the base unit is awful. The "keys" are flat pieces of rubber, which feel flimsy and make the dialing action extremely imprecise. I had to listen for the audible beep as I dialed each digit to be sure they were entered.

Too bad an otherwise excellent phone is ruined by this simple design botch. Fortunately, the unit comes in a simple package that makes it easy to repack for return shipping.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 5, 2010
Motorola had been such a superb brand that I took it for granted that this phone wouldn't just be fine but would be outstanding. It wasn't.

It requires a special supplied land line wire as well as an equally special handset-to-base cord and carries a caveat about using nearing computers or other electronic devices.

Maybe interference caused the atrocious, distorted sound, but, no engineer, I'm not qualified to say. As a user, however, it's an inexcusably poor machine -- an opinion seconded by everyone I called to test the phone. Break-ups worse than on the feeblest of cell phones was what all said.

Try though I do to keep up on technology, I wasn't aware that the "DECT" ascribed to the phone isn't a model name but an abbreviation for Digital Enhanced Cordless Telephone; perhaps other manufacturers have mastered this mode. Motorola hasn't.

Bright news? Amazon was swift in scheduling a no-cost UPS pick-up and issuing a full refund.
on September 15, 2010
I gave this phone 4 stars because it does seem to be a great phone for the money. But, please read the rest.

I purchased this phone for my home office. The main reason that I purchased the phone was because it has a wired base as well as a cordless handset. This allows me to take the cordless phone with me when I am away from my desk, so that I don't miss business calls. The cordless works great for this and the little bit I have used it, I have had no issues and the sound quality is very good.

For home users who want the same setup, this phone will be a good phone. For office users, I do not recommend, which I'll explain.

First, I'll preface by saying that this does appear to be a good quality phone, especially for the money. So, if the features fit your needs, then it's a great buy.

PROS
-Good construction
-Setup was fairly easy
-Message screen on the base is large, intuitive and easily readable
-Cordless phone provides nice mobility AND can be plugged into ANY outlet, even if there is no phone jack available. Though I keep mine in the same room as the base so that I can choose or switch between the two, I found this feature VERY impressive.
-Sound quality is very good on both phones
-Has a nice intercom feature so that you can call the second phone if you want.
-Has speaker phone, though I have not used it yet.
-The phone will work if the power goes out. Very important to me.
-There are a couple of good business type ringers, though the ringer is not as loud as my previous phone.
-The phone looks very nice.

CONS
-THERE IS NO WIRED HEADSET PLUG. My old phone had a plug where I could plug in a wired headset so that I could use both hands for the keyboard. This phone does not. My oversight for thinking most new phones would have this.
-Phone headset does not feel normal when you try to hold it with your shoulder. Which goes back to the previous line.
-I get a loud screech when I get a second call on call waiting. It's very disturbing and loud and sounds about like the old audible computer modem screech. Very disconcerting.
-Deleting listed calls seems to be a little difficult for me to catch on to. Sometimes I hit the right key, sometimes I can't seem to find the right actions and have to delete one by one.
-If you pick up a call on the base, the cordless handset shows a missed call and vv. So, this can be very confusing and causes you to have to delete call information on both phones.

For me, though sound quality is very good and the phone is overall a good phone with some nice features, I will be working on finding a different phone that suits all of my office needs.
on January 1, 2010
We are basically happy with this phone, especially for the price, but there are a couple of things prospective buyers should know. First, the set-up instructions for the wall-mount unit are incomplete and I had to call customer service, where someone explained to me in an apologetic voice how to break a plastic tab free from the phone, flip it over, and reinstall it as a cradle for the handset. A simple enough process, but Motorola completely forgot to mention it in the instructions. I will say that customer service answered right away without a lengthy menu of options. Second, there is no flashing light option to notify you of new voice mail messages. There is an intermittent "beep" option, which I turned off as being too annoying for our pets who might be forced to listen to it for hours while we were out. If you don't like the beep, however, you have to remember to check the display screen when you come home for notice of new messages. Other than these glitches, it's fine.
on October 13, 2010
The phone was easy to set up and the phonebook and ring tone features are all self explanatory. I was very pleased with this phone until I received a call waiting call and the information for the incoming call wasn't displayed. There is no way to know who is calling in while on another call so I don't know if I need to interrupt the conversation I'm having or who to call back when I hang up with my original call. If I had known the phone system was lacking this feature I would have NEVER bought it. I can't believe that Motorola would make a phone in 2010 that wouldn't have call waiting caller ID. Maybe in 1999...
I called Motorola customer support to make sure there wasn't some way to activate this feature on the phone which wasn't covered in the manual and they confirmed that the phone did not have the caller Id call waiting feature. So I just wanted to make sure that other people knew this before they purchased this phone.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 28, 2010
Looks so slick and modern. It was a great price and I needed a phone fast but I am NOT really happy with it after using for 2 months now. The buttons are really hard to push. You have to hit them hard. The sound on the speaker phone isn't great, I turn it all the way up and it still not loud enough and not clear. If you add stuff to the phone book it doesn't add it to the base and all handsets it's just on that one phone. You have to dial 1 to make calls but the caller ID only shows it without the 1 so you can't redail off the CID.

Over all I would highly recommend looking at other phones. Wish I had even spent more money if that is what it would have taken to get a good phone.

1 star because even though the phone looks sleek and awesome it's a piece of junk. It's SO hard to dial on it, it doesn't add the 1 so you have to dial 1. If you do anything you have to wait till it gets back to it's home screen to dial. I highly recommend getting another phone. Wish I could.
on October 29, 2009
I just bought this phone from Sam's Club (only a dollar less than Amazon). This is the first cordless phone I bought that is not a Sony, and it is replacing a Sony phone I've had for 13 years.

The Motorola is easy to set up and easy to program. There are, however, some features that are not as clear to operate. That's about it. The sound quality is terrible. There is a constant noise in the cordless phone when I am a mere few feet from the base, and it takes a long time to fully charge.

This phone is definitely going back. Better off spending a little more money to get a better phone.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations