5.0 out of 5 stars quick and easy set-up, nice sound
Published on September 15, 2011 by Shelley Gammon

2.0 out of 5 stars Hang on to your old phone...you may want it back.
Published on November 16, 2011 by J. Perkins

5.0 out of 5 stars quick and easy set-up, nice sound, September 15, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My mother's portable handsets needed battery replacements, and since the older model required harder-to-find, more expensive batteries, we opted to get her a whole new set. These are fairly light weight, but feel sturdy. All batteries and necessary equipment was included. The base has a nice handset location feature - when you press the button, all the handsets will make tone noises so you can find them and will continue to do so until you've seated all handsets in the cradle or until you press the button again. Other sets I've seen really required two people - where one would have to keep pressing the button while the other person did a hunt-n-seek. This is far more practical if you're home alone and/or live alone and have misplaced a handset. There are 10 ringtones available - these are the loud MIDI type tones, not the pretty melodies you get on an iPhone - but they range from loud ringer to melodic and each handset can be set to a different volume. The base station needs to connect to a phone line, but the other handsets need their bases connected to power only. This is a great feature for those who live in older homes where the phone jacks are few & far between... and gives you more choices on where to locate a phone. My mother & I have conversed on the phone - she can hear me really well and vice versa. So far, the units have a very acceptable battery life before draining enough to cause noise. This is a nice ensemble at a very reasonable price.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hang on to your old phone...you may want it back., November 16, 2011
J. Perkins (Abingdon, VA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
After using the Motorola L803 as our primary phone and answering machine for several weeks, we decided to reconnect our old Uniden phone and answering machine. We will continue to use the Motorola handsets throughout our house because of the great sound quality, but there are just too many irritations with using the Motorola L803 to keep it as our primary home phone and answering machine.

First, the pros:
* excellent sound quality
* very slim (fits easily into your pocket)
* long battery life
* only the base requires a phone jack; handsets 2 and 3 require only an electrical outlet

Now, the minor irritations:
* For some odd reason, when pushing a button on the handset, the tone doesn't sound until after the button is released. This bothered me for several days, but I learned to live with it.
* Pressing the find button on the base causes all the handsets to beep which isn't very helpful if you are trying to find a handset that is in the same room as another handset.
* The handsets light up periodically (perhaps to sync with the base) which is annoying at night and also causes interference on my Sony Babycall baby monitor. I have to keep the monitor several feet away from the handsets, making it impossible to carry both the monitor and the handset at the same time.
* As another reviewer mentioned, there is no communication between the handsets. If you clear off your new Caller ID calls from one handset, they still show up as new calls on the other handsets.

Finally, the major headaches:
* The menu is not intuitive. For example, to turn the answering machine on, you actually have to select "Answerer Off" . Recording a greeting for the answering machine was a monumental task that required a couple of readings of the instruction manual.
* If you have a new message, the number of total messages will blink on the handset display. So, if you have 9 new messages, 09 will blink. If you have 1 new message and 8 old messages, 09 will blink. This is not useful at all.
* You cannot screen calls unless you push a button on the handset. There really needs to be an option for listening to every incoming message. If I'm cooking dinner, washing dishes, carrying in groceries, etc., there's no way I can grab a handset in time to screen an incoming call.
* Deleting individual messages from the answering machine is tricky. During message playback, you can press delete to delete the current message. Sounds simple; however, there is virtually no pause between messages to give you time to delete the one that just played. On my old phone, I can listen to a message in its entirety and then have a couple of seconds to delete it before the next message begins. On the Motorola L803, if you press delete at the end of a message, chances are the answering machine has already advanced to the next message and you'll end up unintentionally deleting it instead. I learned this the hard way.

If you don't need an answering machine, then this phone may work well for you. If you do need an answering machine, you can do much better than the Motorola L803.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, home cordless set ~ excellent phones!, November 6, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really like the Motorola DECT 6.0 Enhanced Cordless Phone with 3 Handsets and Digital Answering System ~ it's a solid, home cordless set of phones, with 3 phones (one is the base) - the sound is excellent...the system can be set up as an answering system too. Each phone is pretty lightweight, but gripped easily in one hand, with buttons for mute, flash, menu, back, volume, phonebook, redial, CID, Intercom, Speaker, and all the number pad. I really liked the sound quality, it is excellent - the phone system is reasonably priced, somewhat customizable (you can expand and add handsets, and buy optional color back plates for the phones). The phonebook stores up to 30 names (you have to admit, not that many compared to what a modern Smartphone cell phone can do), but still, this is a solid HOME cordless phone system. I really like that it's exandable up to 5 handsets: 4 tends to be too few, and more than 5 can be a bit much, but 5 is a good number for handsets in most houses. I would definitely recommend this Motorola phone system!

1.0 out of 5 stars save your money, March 29, 2013
This review is from: Motorola DECT 6.0 Enhanced Cordless Phone with 4 Handsets and Digital Answering System L804 (Office Product)
save your money and do not buy this model it is a huge piece of crap. the volume stinks. it is a long process to delete messages. I owned it for 2 weeks and could no longer stand it and went out and bought another brand. I previously owned a V-Tech and had great luck with it so I got rid of this piece of junk and bought another V-Tech and I am happy again

3.0 out of 5 stars OK...but just OK..., August 16, 2012
Pietro (Fairfield, CT) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I received this 3-handset "Motorola DECT 6.0 Enhanced Cordless Phone with 3 Handsets and Digital Answering System L803" almost one year ago and wanted to really run it through its paces before posting a review...so here we are a year later, and my overall feeling is: the system works, and has most functions that today's cordless multi-phone/multi-function units have, but the execution is mediocre.

I had a single-handset Panasonic cordless phone with a separate Panasonic mini-tape-based answering machine; both were about 10 years old and working fine. When I replaced them with this unit, I was disappointed by several factors:
- First, the answering machine sound quality is quite poor, even for digital; this is true for both outgoing and incoming messages
- The sound quality of the handsets is not very good either...low-frequency response
- The message storage capacity is much less than advertised: after 6 messages, none of which were more than 2 minutes, a "memory full" display appeared and I was forced to delete ALL messages. I saw no option to cherry-pick individual ones.
- The button lay-out and functionality is not intuitive...and can be confusing. For example, when the phone rang the first time...and even the 2nd time...it took me a couple of rings to figure out the correct button to press to answer (they use horizontal/vertical phone icons) because my Panasonic had a "Talk" button. If they used green/red to color the icon, it might have helped.
- The manual is not well-written (both from an information-transfer perspective, as well as grammar and spelling)
- There was no actual "spec" section provided in the literature, so there was no way to check what the system's actual capacities were supposed to be.
- The web page description is inconsistent: one section says the answering machine has a 15-minute capacity, while another section says 30 minutes...and as I wrote above, mine was actually less than either.

I've plugged my old Panasonic units back in just to see how I'd feel after not using it this past year...and I found the sound quality superior.

About the only feature that I would wholeheartedly recommend is the multiple phone aspect...it is nice to have that capability.

Overall, my experience is better with Panasonic, and will probably be looking for one to replace the Motorola system (and relegate it to my workshop.

Thanks for reading ;-)

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Good, Some Bad, September 18, 2011
rampageous_cuss (Under Billy Penn's Hat) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The good:

- Clear signal
- Good range

The bad:

- Non-user friendly controls.
- Awkward to program.

The disappointing:

- No ringing for new messages.

There are four things I particularly want from a cordless phone. They should be reliable, have enough range to let me walk around the yard, and give off a ring of some kind when there's a message I haven't heard. Of course I'd like 'em to be easy to program and have long-lasting batteries, but the phones I've always gotten have have lasted long enough so that when the batteries started to go, it's time for the next generation of phone ANYWAY.

So far, we've got two out of three, which wouldn't be TERRIBLE - our previous cordless, a GE, had no unheard-message tone AND a pretty low range. However its controls were MUCH easier to figure out than the Motorola's, which makes it confusing to even answer and hang up the phone; although the two phones are basically the same size, the Motorola's large display and generously-displayed logo leave too little room for clearly-labelled controls. The process for retrieving messages is easy, but it's also easy to delete messages by accident, and the other programming features are awkward and require little fingers to hit tiny little keys.

3.0 out of 5 stars They're just ok, October 26, 2011
I bought this phone when I switched from my local phone service to Verizon home phone service. I hate that even once you have programmed names and numbers into the phone book, they do not come up when the person calls. The phone book is only for calling out. Also, you have to press a button to screen calls through the answering machine, which is really inconvenient. I do, however, love that the answering machine buttons are on the handset. I can listen to my messages without being tied to the phone base. Not sure if I would buy it again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to use, Motorola doesn't have an on-line manual, March 4, 2012
Misplaced the manual... didn't think I'd need it, I was very wrong.

Typing in a phone number doesn't result in dialing the number; I checked another model that Motorola does have a manual for (B802) and THAT phone is connected by pressing a "Talk" key (reasonably enough). The L802 has no such key.

The fact that this product doesn't appear on their web site is worrisome; what does that mean? Has it been discontinued?

Wouldn't buy again, if I can't make this work by tomorrow I'm going to throw it out and buy from another manufacturer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing major, May 12, 2013
I am quite particular about phones and like Vtech usually but I've found their batteries die very fast. I bought these hoping a different brand would fare better. I was disappointed to find that the buttons are rubbery and slow to respond. Most people likely won't care but because I was used to Vtech style it was a surprise. Other unfortunate parts are that they'll echo at times and if you view your missed calls on one handset it doesn't clear them on the other 3. Also, phonebooks don't share between handsets. I might be able to fix these last two complaints in the settings but I'm not sure.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not User Friendly, October 8, 2012
It is impossible to use this phone to make a call, develop a phone book, retrieve a message, delete a message, all basic functions, without the manual. Way too complicated (press mute to delete a message, for example)! My first phone broke within weeks. So far, the replacement is working, but if I have a problem with this one, I will not buy another of this type!

Rate and Discover Movies