3,776 Reviews
 (2,792)

I purchased this for my mom, for a friend, and for a cousin. I have to say I am very impressed with this little device. Just so you know where I'm coming from, my cell phone history starts with my current Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus, Blaze 4G... and it goes on and on and on. I am a smart phone aficionado, and this little thing impresses me.

The...
Published 12 months ago by Kendrick Vargas

1.0 out of 5 stars battery dead within two months
i was very happy with my purchase for the first two months. Then, one fine day, I left it overnight without charging. The next morning, disaster. The phone is completely dead! No response or indication whatsoever. I tried charging it overnight. But, nothing. I tried hard reset, and all other tricks suggested on the web. Still nothing.

A whole lot of people...
Published 8 months ago by vinci

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good for the money, fast enough for most all needs, December 19, 2013
Kendrick Vargas (Miami Lakes, FL USA) - See all my reviews

The screen has great viewing angles, and looks great in general. I dare say I like the color and viewing angles better than on my Nexus 5. The blacks don't become a light grey at the extreme corner angles. Obviously, my 5" 1080p is more of a pleasure to use than the 4.5" 720p overall, but I had to comment on just how rich and beautiful the Moto G display is. The size means that it has a PPI of about 329. The iPhone 5's retina display, for comparison, sits at 326ppi. The vast majority of people will need no more than what this display has to offer. And, AND... it's wrapped in Gorilla Glass 3. Not that it should really matter that much, I've had Gorilla Glass scratch and seen it shatter so it isn't a super material... but some people will be glad to have it.

The Quad Core 1.2Ghz Snapdragon 400 was fast enough for me. According to some benchmarks I've seen, it supposedly runs about as fast as the Nexus 4. The difference seems to be that this CPU simply sips on the battery. But, I'll get to more on that later. The GPU seemed fast enough for me on the benchmarks I'd run. Not the fastest, but by no means slow. The device doesn't have as much RAM at 1GB as higher end phones which tend to come in at 2GB. However for the average person this will not matter. Android's memory management is pretty good. While a power user might be able to occasionally catch blips associated to the lack of extra ram, the average user will never see it.

For a casual user, the battery life will simply be phenomenal. My own mom, with some light-ish use on mostly 3G network access did 21% battery use over 24 hours, and 55% over 3 days before charging. That's just crazy. Simply bananas. As a disclaimer, I bought 4 phones total and ran into a bug on one of my phones (that others have reported as well on some units) where a full discharge of the battery was not able to be recharged from fully dead without some serious fiddling. I managed to get that phone charging again and decided to try and run the battery down (testing) and I ran into problems. I couldn't tax the battery. I ran benchmarks, 3D intensive simulations, etc... the thing would not give up it's battery. I'm returning the questionable phone, but given that there are bad eggs in any production batch, I'm not docking any stars. I think this phone is worth the 5 stars, regardless of the occassional bad build.

Cons? There's no "advanced" features. There's no LTE (4G) radio on board. There's no NFC sensor for sharing links or doing financial transactions. There's no wireless charging, nor any 802.11ac support for the WiFi. However the average user might not really care about, or need, those things. LTE would've been nice, and most people have been convinced that they need 4G in their lives. However many are reporting real-life 3-4Mb/s transfer rates on their Moto G's... I get 12Mb/s on my DSL. How much speed do you really need to check the weather? I don't see how NFC didn't make the cut, but I guess at the price I can't complain. I'm not wild that the volume rocker is on the same side as the power button, but that's not a big deal.

Pros? This phone feels great in the hand. It has a good weight. I never liked the ultra-light feel of the samsung flagship phones. The phone feels solid despite having a user removable back plate. Oh, and you can replace the back plate with colorful replacements, or flip covers, or what have you.

For most anyone, this will be an absolutely fantastic choice. Don't be afraid, just buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars iPhone to Android Convert, December 27, 2013
Recently had to give up my iPhone 5 and was in need of a new, unlocked phone that I could use immediately. Perusing about amazon, I came across the Moto G and started doing some research on this puppy and liked what I read; decided to take the plunge. My immediate reaction to using this device has been extremely positive, and surpassed my expectations coming from an iPhone 5. At a $180'ish price point, the performance and the most put together Android/Google experience the Moto G delivers is unmatched.

What you get with the phone:
Moto G and charging cable... That's it!

Design:
Honestly, for a phone this cheap, this is a slick looking phone. With its concave design, matte black back plate and just about edge-to-edge glass on the face, you do not need to worry about the Moto G looking like a cheap Korean phone. This thing has style. The weight of the phone seems to be on the heavier side, which I like a lot, makes it feel well built and valuable. Comparing this Moto G to my Fiance's 4s, I have to say the Moto G looks better than the more expensive 4s. The only physical buttons on the Moto G is the lock and volume rocker, which adds to the simplicity and coolness of this phone's design. The home, back and multi-task buttons are on the screen.

One design flaw that bummed me out is how you have to remove the back plate to insert your sim card. Seems like Motorola/Google could have thought of a better way to make this process easier. I ended up snapping the thin plastic on the top of the headphone jack. I'm the only one that notices it, but it's there and it's a bummer.

UX/UI
The first time I have seen a perfect marriage of an Android OS implementation and Google's awesome applications. If you have ever used an Android from another vendor, the OS tends to feel like a bootleg copy of another or does not feel polished like Apple's iOS. Using the Moto G, you will notice that this looks like the way Google intended their Android OS to be implemented on a device--remember, Google purchased Motorola and their handsets are starting to show the benefits of this acquisition. No weird bloatware is forced upon you, you basically get all of the Google apps, Motorola Migrate and that's about it. The Moto G is a lean machine out of the box, which is something I was thankful for when I first started it up.

Also, the OS does a good job of guiding you on how to use the Google-centric apps instead of the on-board messaging/email apps with your google account, which each application is intuitive and runs flawlessly so far. Login to your Google account on startup and your whole Google-cloud-You is automatically loaded into your new Moto G almost instantly. Overall the interface and experience the Moto G delivers, running Android Jelly Bean, feels cohesive and intuitive. After using iPhones for so long, you tend to hear about "fragmentation," "walled gardens" in the Android universe, but the experience this Motorola delivers offers a glimpse into some pretty cool things to come for the Android OS--with Motorola handsets.

Performance:
I will warn you that I am not a mobile gamer. I use my phone to get things done and keep my life in order but would consider myself a power user, but have no need or want to play games on my phone--personally, I need tactile feedback to play video games... Anyways, this thing zips. After playing with crappy Android based tablets and witnessing some of the performance issues friends and relatives have with their Android phones, I was expecting some hiccups here and there at this price point. Motorola HAD to pinch pennies somewhere on this phone, right?! Well, they did compromise dollars here and there on this offering, but not so much in the hardware. This thing is a speedy little handset that will be more than adequate for the average user and I think if you are a power user that needs your phone to be productive, the Moto G should be able to handle everything you throw at it.

Not only does the quad-core processor and 1gb of RAM in this little beast zip, but it is a true battery sipper. Battery saver mode shuts down background functions you don't absolutely need to get every drip of battery juice. The efficiency of this phone is amazing, don't even need to charge it through the day even when using mostly cellular data.

Speaking of cellular data, one thing you should know about the Moto G is that one of the cost-saving features that Motorola implemented is that this phone is 3G only. This is not a huge deal to me as in my area 3G is fast enough. I also do not watch Netflix on my phone or anything, I have a Roku for that. Honestly, it's a small compromise for a phone this nice at this price point, I don't think it's a big deal. Your mileage will vary, so it is something to take into consideration.

Display/Camera
The display on the Moto G is sharp. No obvious aliasing or pixelation, everything looks crisp and clean... Except for the default background, get rid of that as soon as you get your Moto G.

The camera is probably the biggest compromise made to the Moto G that I recognize and am kind "meh." about. It will shoot 720p video, which is completely fine; shoots panorama images (cool); frigin burst mode (pretty cool); and that's about it. The still camera quality is nothing compared to what you will find on the iPhone 5 and up or other more expensive handsets on the market. BUT THAT'S OK! You're taking photos with your phone and posting them on instagram or Facebook or whatever, not shooting editorial photography for [insert any nationally recognized magazine name here].

Overall:
If you're looking for an unlocked phone or tired of the BS bloatware that comes with Android Handsets from other vendors, BUY THIS PHONE. This thing is a gem and the compromises that Motorola made to get the Moto G to this price point were all spot-on, correct decisions that consumers can really appreciate.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great phone for the money, December 5, 2013
I got the 16GB global GSM version direct from Motorola instead of Amazon as they were shipping faster but here it goes anyway. The phone feels well built, of quality materials and it handles well (can almost be use one-handed). I would have preferred the power button on top but it still better than having it on the left.

Pros

- good quadcore processor handles tasks easily given the 1GB of RAM
- not much fluff on top of Android4.3 and guaranteed update to 4.4
- good looking screen with vibrant colors and great resolution/DPI
- built-in FM radio (yes, I'm old-fashioned but it was a must for me)
- camera is decent for a phone
- LED is powerful enough and makes a good spot for using as flashlight
- built in compass is fairly precise and does not jump around much

Cons

- no SD card (this is more of a fault to me since I like to put loads of music on my phone and thus only 4 star rating. You get ~12GB free with the 16GB version)
- no 4G (I get 8Mbits/second in San Jose, CA using 3G though which is sufficient to watch Neflix without a hitch)

Update to cons: the new LTE version of the MotoG fixes both these cons with the slight caveat that SD card capacity is limited to 32GB. I think 64GB should have been a minimum.

Edit1: despite what the description says in San Jose, CA using T-mobile prepaid I am not limited to 2G service. Actually 3G speeds are quite good as noted above. More than enough for me.

Edit2: reordered cons from my point of view

Edit3: as of 12/25/2013 firmware was updated to Android 4.4.2.

Edit4: as of 06/07/2014 firmware was updated to Android 4.4.3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb unlocked budget smartphone. Moto G LTE comparison., June 18, 2014
You can read other reviews for details on the Moto G. I will primarily compare the Moto G LTE version with the Moto G (3G) and Moto X in this review.

I own all three of the above phones and I chose the Moto G LTE as my daily phone since it have the best compromises out of the three.

Features the Moto G LTE have that the Moto G 3G version lacks:
-4G LTE of course.
-Gyroscope. For example, if you install the Google Camera app, you can take Photosphere photos. The 3G version do not have this feature.
-MicroSD support. (PS. It will work with 64gb microSD card formatted as FAT32. If your 64gb microSD is formatted as exFAT, you need to reformat it as FAT32.)

Things from the Moto G LTE that I prefer over the Moto X:
-Better grip comfort:
The Moto G is thicker than the Moto X which is a good thing. The back cover is soft and smooth, and due to the thicker sides and rounder edges it is ergonomic and more comfortable to hold.
-Better battery life:
While both have LTE, due to difference in screen technology and lower powered CPU, the Moto G tend to get half an hour to one hour of screen on time more than the Moto X.
-Stays much cooler:
Due to the lower powered CPU and maybe the size, it doesn't get as hot like the Moto X. Even after using the phone in navigation mode for an hour, the phone doesn't get hot enough to become uncomfortable to hold.
-Moto G LTE version have microSD support, Moto X don't. It's true Motorola is coming out with a Moto X with 64gb, but its a bit too late and probably more than most want to spend for a phone that is not top of the line anymore.
-Better screen details:
This will be controversial to some. I actually love the AMOLED screen technology which is used in the Moto X and Samsung phones, due to it's superb 180 degree viewing angle, super deep black, and excellent contrast. However, for a budget phone, the Moto G screen is very acceptable. While the viewing angle for the Moto G's IPS screen isn't very good, it's actually sharper than the Moto X AMOLED screen and have smoother colors (less color banding). It's about same brightness as the Moto X screen.

What I felt missing from Moto G:
No NFC. This is the only thing that bummed me out about this model and I felt it should have been included at its price point. Lacking NFC takes away some cool and useful features. With NFC you could: pay using Google Wallet, easily transfer contacts or files between Android phones using Android Beam, ability it to use "Moto Skip" to unlock your phone, and fast pairing with NFC enabled devices.

Of course there are other cool exclusive Moto X features like Touchless Control, Active Display, and quick camera access. However, the Moto G does have a white LED notification light and you can download third party Active Display alternatives.

Overall: I recommend spending a little more to get the Moto G LTE version over the 3G version. It holds its own against the Moto X, while not as fast and features-filled, it gets better battery life and includes microSD support, while practically retaining the same size and use comfort. It's a very well rounded phone that run stock Android smoothly and very little bloatwares. The build quality is pretty decent. It have nano coating for water resistant, but I definitely recommend getting a tempered glass screen protector. IMO, the build is as good or better than some other plastic flagship devices (*cough* Galaxy). The battery life is adequate to get you through an entire day. Lastly, being a Motorola phone you know that you'll get good signal and call quality.

The weak points of this phone include having an average 5MP camera and not having a highend CPU/GPU package to play heavy graphic games. Those two factors probably aren't vital for the target consumers of this device. You get about 5.5GB of free space for the internal storage out of the box, but just compliment it with a decent sized microSD card. It's the most well rounded budget smartphone I've used to date.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moto G 4G/LTE version -- you get MORE than what you pay for!, June 12, 2014
The LTE version of the Moto G is a remarkable phone, and well worth twice its release price (two hundred and twenty). I've owned more than a dozen Android devices (dating back to Eclair) and while the G is our first phone outside the walled garden of Verizon, I have many, many good things to say about it -- it's a shame I can't give it 6 stars! It's important to remember that this phone should be judged, not against the best $500 and $600 phones available, but instead against unlocked mid-range phones in its price range. In that match-up there is nothing that comes even remotely close.

Here's a quick list of Pros and Cons, including a few comparisons to its sexier cousin the Moto X (we also own two of those!):

Pros

- excellent screen
- excellent responsiveness -- no lag! (impressive with "only" 1GB of RAM)
- boots quickly
- excellent battery life -- finishes a day of moderate use with more than 50% remaining
- GPS is spot on with a fast lock
- buttons are sturdy
- nice "feel in the hand" (like the Moto X)
- microSD slot! -- many (if not most) apps can be moved to an SD card
- wifi tethering works! -- not sure if this varies by carrier but it's all good with Straight Talk
- activation on Straight Talk (AT&T's network) was a breeze, and we're getting excellent LTE coverage (~20Mbps down) with one minor caveat (*see Cons)
- Gorilla Glass screen much appreciated
- includes the new Motorola Alert app (great for kids)
- came with KitKat 4.4.3 installed, and stays first in line for new updates (no carrier delays!)
- outstanding camera w/flash (doesn't compete with higher-end phones though)
- only version of the G available in white so far

Cons

- back "door" tricky to remove (fingernail helps!) to access SIM and SD cards
- no charging plug included (only the phone and a USB cable in the box)
- lacks many of the nice software extras on the Moto X (especially touchless control and active notifications)
- slightly cheaper build quality than the Moto X (somewhat moot with a case)
- *LTE is great in town but unfortunately no cell coverage at home (that's cool, wifi is fine!)
- selection of cases still pretty limited (dumb that the E and X cases won't fit)
- non-removable battery (back door comes off but it's screwed in!!!)

As we've had it barely a week, I'll try and update as needed -- feel free to post questions in the comments area (though note: I *can't* help with technical issues like "will it work in country X?" or "will it work on GSM carrier Y?"). But if you want me to test something out on the model+configuration+carrier we've got and I'll give it a shot!

-Matt

5.0 out of 5 stars Moto G US GSM 16G, December 19, 2013
I purchased this phone as a replacement to the Samsung Galaxy S3 I had that died a horrible death; details not needed...! I wasn't willing to put out the $400 for a replacement Galaxy, even though I loved it.

Compared to the GS3, for the price, this phone is a stunning replacement! It's a little heavier, sure, but I'm perfectly fine with that. I have experienced no problems with it whatsoever, having had it in hand since the Dec. 18th. Everything seems to run smoothly, with no hiccups through T-Mobile's service. I have dropped down from 4G speed to 3G, but this is entirely so minor as not to be a complaint whatsoever. I do not experience lags over the network at home which is where use is heaviest.

Phone calls are clear. If you toggle the volume up, prepare for a loud ringer...There is a tiny gap between "soft" and "loud" on this phone. This is also good for me, however, and the alarm apps I have, as I can sleep through most alarms and phone calls. I do not have any problems with loose buttons on my model, either, which I had prepared for.

The back of the phone is less irritating to deal with than the Galaxy's - it's not thin and I don't feel as if it will break when I remove the back of the phone. Once you get the hang of removing the back, which you honestly shouldn't have to do often, it's not that agonizing of an experience, plus the phone comes with instructions on how to remove the back if you are fearful of breaking it.

Cameras are important to me in a phone. With static images I have not noticed any drop in performance over the Galaxy. However, with some movement quality drops, but I am still learning how to use it and generally have an easy time mastering camera phones despite their limitations. I haven't played with it as much as I intend to yet, so I can't really comment on how well the camera will treat me when I've learned it.

The screen is clear, bright, and stunning, and I have no complaints there either. It may be smaller than the Galaxy's, but again, as someone who uses the phone primarily for social media and to communicate for other projects when I am out and about, as well as keep schedules and tasks in order it does not bother me whatsoever to lose .5cm of the screen.

The device does everything I ask it to do without hitch, therefore I granted it a 5-star rating. For the price, it's a great device and I do not see much loss between it versus the SG3, of which mine was always a factory set and not a rooted device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moto G Universal LTE using on T-Mobile network, June 28, 2014
Bought this phone to replace a one year old Galaxy S4 from T-Mobile that quit working. I always buy my phones outright no contract and after my experience with the S4 I was not willing to drop $600 on another flagship phone. I am glad I didn't.

Pros: Fast data 30+ Mbps down, 14+ up
Good call quality
Expandable memory micro SDcard slot. Why every device does not have this IDK.
No bloatware
Great interface, almost vanilla android. Very snappy interface. Much faster than the bloated, laggy S4
Excellent Feel in hand. Nice curved back very natural in hand. Good weight feels very solid. S4 felt like a plastic toy
Android OS very up to date.
Excellent screen very clear, pretty, easy to read (same pixel density as the apple "retina" display)
GPS super fast and accurate locks
Tons of accessories available cases, screen protectors etc. Original Moto G non LTE accessories fit.
Super easy setup and migration of data from old phone sms, call logs etc. using built in app Motorola Migrate
Battery life is descent

Cons: Camera takes descent pictures. I am satisfied with them but if you are serious about your cell photos it may not be enough
4.5 inch Screen size is great side by side with an iphone but moving from the s4 it took a little adjustment.
Non removable battery. To me this is annoying I like consumer serviceable batteries, but really have no need to remove it.
No NFC

Overall I am glad I bought this phone. I was looking at this phone versus buying a $650 S5. I think for me this is a much better choice. I don't like that all the flagship phones are loaded up with so much bloat and wow gadgets that never get used. All they do is slow the phone down. Non of the cons really bother me either. The phone does what I need it to do, make phone calls, navigate quickly accurately, search the web and find info needed quickly when away from a computer, and has a battery that lasts at least a day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Righly puts every single cheap Android phone to shame, December 10, 2013
Ordered a Global GSM version which has been optimized for global roaming 3G. (Clarification Edit: I bought Global GSM as this is a gift for someone in SouthEast Asia)

The phone deserves 5 star.
SCREEN 1280×720 4.5-inch IPS (329 PPI) - Corning's Gorilla Glass 3, Even the new Nexus7 2013 model doesnt has Corning Gorilla Glass 3. This was something which made me surprisingly happy.
OS Android 4.3 - Hopefully upgrades will be available more often, as belongs to Google parent company
CPU 1.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 (quad-core Cortex A7) - This is what does the magic of increasing battery life, which giving amazing performance
RAM 1GB + Adreno 305 - Enough to play Temple Run 2 without lag.
CAMERA 5MP rear camera - Can be called drawback, but hey its $179 phone
Moto will soon offer nice set of colorful rear shells and covers
FM Radio - Few newer phones like Nexus 5 dont ship with inbuilt FM Radio

Cons
No power adaptor, just the USB
1GB RAM might get outdated soon enough
3G might look slow to some who are used to LTE
No NFC, No 5GHz 802.11n
8GB version - I should have ordered the 16GB one

In short its like a low end version of Nexus devices google has been launching, powerful yet cheap.

1.0 out of 5 stars battery dead within two months, April 6, 2014
This review is from: Motorola Moto G - Global GSM - Unlocked - 16GB (Black) (Wireless Phone Accessory)

A whole lot of people have reported this issue of battery going completely dead. This is seriously disappointing.

I now plan to contact Motorola for a replacement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be called the Moto Great. Wonderful phone for the price, December 6, 2013
I pre-ordered this from Motorola directly and received my phone on 12/3/13. The phone is great for the price. The best phone you can get at this price point (off contract) bar none. I did not experience any issues setting up the phone and using it. I purchased this primarily as a world phone for when I travel overseas. It is perfect for that purpose. Great display, sharp and bright. The processor keeps the phone zipping along quite nicely, I haven't noticed any lag yet. Call quality is very good and WiFi connectivity is also very good. Keep in mind that mine only came with a USB cable for charging and no AC USB power adapter. This was no issue for me since I have plenty from old phones. It is a standard micro USB connector. The picture quality is fair to good but what do you expect for a phone at this price. My only gripe is that the back cover is a bit finicky to remove. Make sure you hold the middle while prying up the BOTTOM of the cover first. If you try to open it from the top (like I did), you will most likely crack the back cover along the tiny strip of plastic around the hole for the headphone jack. I feel like they should have had the back cover go around the headphone jack without the thin strip (so it fits like a U around the jack instead of like an O like it does now). I would definitely recommend this phone for frequent overseas travelers. I'd even recommend the US version for normal use here as well.